SCALEFOUR CUMBERLAND 2022. 19 & 20 NOVEMBER

SteamAle

SCALEFOUR CUMBERLAND 2022. 19 & 20 NOVEMBER

Postby SteamAle » Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:10 pm

An attempt to promote Scalefour Modelling within an established show, that has a reputation for providing a good variety of layouts and caters for all interests, in one that is predominantly supported by local families as well as the more enthsiastic modeller.

There have been a number of Scalefour layouts over the years, including Spittal, Port Solway and Garrigill, which was featured in the October 2022 Railway Modeller and it made its very first exhibition appearence at Workington.

This year, having followed the discussion about the future of Scaleforum and also a proposal to have a 'show within a show' As the exhibition manager for Workington MRE, I've bitten the bullet and made a head start. Following an exchange of e-mails with the committee it was agreed that we would not do a miniture Scalefour North. Next year sees the reintroduction of Cumberland, to the map of England, hence the name.

I have lined up a room, within in which, there will be Tredethy Wharf in S4, exhibited by Ian Johnson. Winter Croft Mills in EM and under construction, exhibited by Andrew Wright along with Hallbank in OO and possibly complete, exhibited by Ian Blenkinsop. Supporting them will be Bob Hetherington, owner of Garrigill in S4, who will be demonstrating scratchbuilding an early Stockton & Darlington locomotive. Finally John H Wright will be working on some S4 stock for his forthcoming layout. Other Members of CRAGIES are also expected to be around to help out over the weekend. Ian and Andrew are both S4 members but have there own reasons for modelling in the gauges that they do.

Further information about the other exhibits and how to find the venue can be found on the following website: -
https://sites.google.com/view/solrail/home

SteamAle

Re: SCALEFOUR CUMBERLAND 2022. 19 & 20 NOVEMBER

Postby SteamAle » Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:44 pm

I'm very pleased to be able to report that BOB HOW has agreed to attend, on Saturday only. He will doing some work on stock for his model of Kings Cross station. Those of you that read the MRJ will have seen a couple of items of his stock featured in the latest edition.

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Wed Nov 09, 2022 7:34 am

A full package of information has reached the Society from our good friends organising SolRail.

"Have you ever wondered what it would be like to build your own model railway but never got up the courage to have a go? Well this year at Workington Model Railway Exhibition there will be a group of people who will be only too willing to help you get started. They will be located
in the SCALEFOUR CUMBERLAND room. Here you will find a layout under construction, Winter Croft Mills, and you will be able to see how the builder, Andrew Wright from Horwich, has gone about making his model, including his own track.

Local modeller Ian Blenkinsop from Seaton, has only just completed his layout, Hallbank, based on Lord Carlisle's Railway in the Brampton, Tindale Fell area, and he will be able to tell you how he added those details that brings his model to light.

Tredethy Wharf is the first S4 layout that Ian Johnson, from Wigton, has built. He will be able to tell you about the highs and lows of building a
layout in this scale. Other people in the room will be able to show you how they go about making things whether it is a locomotive or wagon as
well as telling you all about scenery and buildings.

For those visiting that like their computers and online games etc. they will have the latest version, of Railworks Train Simulator 2023, where
you can drive your own train on a line of your choice. For the younger or not so young visitor, Thomas and his friends will be back and looking
for lots of help to get them running. In another room will be found some Vintage Trix Trains that are still working, even though some are over 40
years old. They were meant to be played with and you will be more than welcome to 'have a go'.

In the main atrium will be the 'piece de resistance' FENCEHOUSES. At nearly 40 foot long it is believed to be the largest 2mm Finescale layout currently on the exhibition circuit. It has been built by Bob Jones, who lives in Chester-le-Street and it takes a full team to pack the layout into a big truck, transport, unload, then erect it ready for you to see. Remember after the show closes on Sunday afternoon they have to dismantle it, pack it into the truck and drive all the way across the Pennines and still have to unload the truck again before they finally get to have a rest!

An award winning layout in EM gauge is West End Drift, built by Graham Hudson of Ovington. It was built as a 'Chairman's challenge layout' and
was exhibited at this years ExpoEM, held in Bracknell, and won! Based on a coal mine it will be of interest to so many local people who remember
when West Cumberland was a major producer of coal for this country and further afield overseas.

Local modellers, Andrew Holland from Lowca, brings his new narrow gauge layout, Aberglaslyn Pass. Gwyn Wisham from Seaton, is displaying his OO gauge model of Brigham for the very first time. Eric Farraqher, also from Seaton, has Eli Woods, his new N gauge layout featuring very fast modern mainline trains.

Marc Dobson returns from Grange-over-Sands with his 7mm layout, WC Boggs. It has been considerably improved since its last visit and those that attended several years ago may notice the changes.

Graham Morfoot from Spalding, is back with another of his layouts and this time it is Gracetown Bank, depicting a local goods yard with loads of fine detail.

A late entry will be Brian Irwin from Carlisle, with his Coffee Pot layout based upon an Australian line, something very different.

The event is supported by a group of trade stands that will be able to provide almost anything the modeller needs. A number of local Societies
will also have stands advertising their interests and opportunities for volunteering to help them.

The exhibition will be held on Saturday 19 10-5pm & Sunday 20 10-4pm November 2022 in the Energus building at Blackwood Road, Lillyhall
Estate, Workington - Post Code CA14 4JW, where there will be free car parking and outstanding refreshments. The venue is served by regular bus services from Workington and Whitehaven railway stations, using Service No:- 29. On Saturday, via Lillyhall, it stops right outside the Energus building. Sunday there is a 20 minute walk from High Harrington outside Lakes College.

Admission costs have been held for the TENTH year at £5.00 for adults with accompanied children free. Also available will be a souvenir
programme for sale listing everything on display while stocks last.

Presented by Solrail, a 'not for profit' team of enthusiasts and volunteers. Further details on the website: https://sites.google.com/view/solrail/home
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Sun Nov 13, 2022 8:48 am

A quiet moment of shunting at Tredethy Wharf.

Tredethy Wharf (3).JPG

Part of Scalefour Cumberland, see this lovely P4 layout and many others across different scales at Solrail Workington on 19-20 November 2022.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

SteamAle

Postby SteamAle » Fri Nov 18, 2022 11:22 pm

Well its almost time to open the doors for the hordes to come and visit us!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jon price

Postby jon price » Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:40 pm

Just returned from this excellent exhibition. Congratulations to everyone involved. Interesting layouts, some useful traders. Plus a room of S4 (well mostly). And an interesting discussion with Bob Haetherington of Garrigill fame, discussing his latest loco project, an early Hackworth on which the crankshaft leading to the piston rod is behind the coupling rods. As if drive wheels behind pistons weren't difficult enough!
Connah's Quay Workshop threads: viewforum.php?f=125

Neil Smith

Postby Neil Smith » Sun Nov 20, 2022 9:45 pm

I will second Jon's comments about Bob's Hackworth connecting rod oddity - complete with the conn rod effectively dividing into a circular section that goes around the front driver crankpin. It wasn't assembled at the show - seeing it moving is going to be something else...!

And brilliant to have a new Scalefour "show within a show" with Ian Johnson's Tredethy Wharf a deserving award winner this afternoon in a room exuding inspiring modelling. And with 2mmFS Fence Houses in the big main auditorium next door....

Plus - lovely to catch up with Scalefour friends old and several new.

It was a grand day out!

All the best

Neil

essdee

Postby essdee » Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:32 pm

Just managing to reply belatedly and, as it happens, before this thread falls out of the two-week slot in 'Active topics'....

I fully agree with Neil's comments; a Grand Day Out and well worth the hour-three-quarters drive over the A66; initially in glorious Pennine sun over Stainmore but latterly awaiting a sharp West Cumberland shower to pass before heading indoors at Energus.

We both fully enjoyed a very friendly ambience, from the ticket desk right through to closing on the Sunday (I would have taken the extra Saturday hour, but I was booked elsewhere. Next year it will be Saturday).

As my first show attendance since Glasgow in February 2020, it was so good to be inspired afresh, on several fronts. The three side-rooms echoed the feel of the old Scalefour North venue up at the college in Wakefield, and it was nowhere crammed, yet seemed comfortable busy. A substantial sausage roll with chips, tea and choc cookies in the bright further end of the hall kept us fuelled nicely.

'Fencehouses' is magnificent......... I had longer to absorb its scale and detail than on a previous outing. Sobering that in P4 I am building a 'roundy' circuit in approximately one third of the length. I also found that 'Eli Wood' made a similar, if shorter, outstanding case for 2mm railway landscape modelling, in modern mode this time.

In the Scaleforum demo/layout room, it was lovely to pick up conversational threads with Bob Hetherington from Glasgow 2020, while admiring his exquisite Stockton and Darlington loco stud for Garrigill - Jen and I had recently paid our first visit to the real place. We also share an interest in the Brampton Railway, and Ian Blenkinsop's lovely adjacent 'Hallbankgate' diorama was a particular highlight for me. Ian Johnson kindly demonstrated his cassette system on 'Tredethy', which has set me thinking about my own imminent requirements.

At show's end, it was very pleasing to meet Neil at Bob's table, having followed his thread; as he says, Bob's eye-opening orbital Hackworth motion will be a sight to see - I felt that Mike Sharman should have been sat among us. An added bonus to the day was meeting John Wright, dropping by at Bob's and, amongst questions about his old Benfieldside opus of yore, John gave me a valuable pointer to an ultra-matt varnish he uses. Another of my earliest inspirations, Fleetwood-Shawe's 'Brampton and Carlisle' layout, then surfaced as a common thread! Earlier had a good chat with Marc Dobson of 'Pre-Grouping Railways' about couplings and S&D (SomDor) resin wagons/vans. All very rewarding after a long 'drought' of such contact. Oh, and a paw-full of 1960s MRNs for my collection.

Before returning via the Lakes and Stainmore, perfect end to the day was to drop by my eldest Cumberland relative, over in Seaton, for a surprise tea and cake session - made her day and ours.

Well done and Thank You, Philip and the Solrail team, for organising such a warm and welcoming gathering, with a great 'buzz'. Hopefully some of those younger attendees may now have been inspired to a) model railways themselves, and b) follow the prototype, 'historical' or 'modern' .

We look forward to returning next November.

Steve

MarcD

Postby MarcD » Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:41 am

It was good to meet up with everyone. Being it at a show with a layout makes a change from going with the stand. Since the show I've been working on some more S&DJR vans, which should be available in 4mm very shortly. I'm hoping to have a P4 micro layout ready for next year's show but that depends on what Phil wants for next year.
Marc
www.pregroupingrailways.com for everything built before 1923

essdee

Postby essdee » Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:32 am

Thanks Marc, you just - literally - saved me a separate email of enquiry! Next job on today's list.

Your point about having the layout this time struck me though. Without that, we probably would not have stopped by for the early chat? Two reasons: a) we had only just entered the exhibition and you were 'first encounter' and invited us to sit on the stools; your 7mm diorama was something for Jen to be absorbing while we talked technicals re couplings and b) I had a prior list of 'calls' at demonstrators and the Scaleforum section to visit first - and we only arrived about mid-day so time proved to be rather short. Subsequently, the excellent layouts and other stands proved to need much more time that I had allowed.... roll on, the 2023 Show.

In short, the early 'magnet' of your layout gave me/us an immediate bonus of a good chat, couplings to try, and news of kits for brake vans that I was about to start to scratchbuild, now that a long episode with plywood, glue and screws is moving towards completion. Thank you.

Looking forward to seeing your 4mm scale opus!

Steve

ginger_giant

Postby ginger_giant » Sat Dec 17, 2022 10:39 am

I applogies for this very late post... new years resolution must be to make visiting the Societies forum on a regular basis in the future.

I totally agree with all the previous comments about the show, a great weekend. It was an honour to represent the Soceity at SolRail. To top it off it was with great surprise along with certain amount of embarrassment that Tredethy Wharf received an Award.

Must admit Tredethy Wharf has starting to dissapoint me in its apperance along with the way it's been cobbled together for exhibiting. This meant I was seriously thinking about scrapping the layout to concentrate on Rospeath Lane. Being awarded the Trophy has made me rethink so I'll keep the layout available for a while longer if any exhibition manager wants to fill a corner...

After discussions prior to the show and the enjoyment gained over the weekend I realise making an exhibition of myself in front of a layout is a rewarding experience. Meeting up with friends who help, the meeting of fellow modellers along with the public who ask qustions, or just seeing peoples/childrens facial expressions makes the whole event worthwhile.

Thank you to all the SolRail team.

essdee

Postby essdee » Sat Dec 17, 2022 11:04 am

Tredethy?....scrapped?!........ AAARGHHHH!.

Way too good, Ian; both in the 3D foreground and that sense of distance in your background, as we talked about. So I do hope you have space to be able to store it safely, with exhibiting in mind, while concentrating on Rosepeath Lane?

Thanks for your cassette advice; my own builds are looming ever nearer, greatly helped by seeing your own at close quarters. Another 'Workington Win'!

Happy Christmas and all best for 2023; to yourself and the Solrail team,

Steve

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Sun Dec 18, 2022 9:53 am

ginger_giant wrote:Must admit Tredethy Wharf has starting to dissapoint me in its apperance along with the way it's been cobbled together for exhibiting. This meant I was seriously thinking about scrapping the layout to concentrate on Rospeath Lane.

If it has been cobbled together Ian, then it is not evident to the viewer. There may be things that might have been done differently - hindsight is a wonderful thing but if it all works why worry?

essdee wrote:Tredethy?....scrapped?!........ AAARGHHHH!.

Way too good, Ian; both in the 3D foreground and that sense of distance in your background,

I agree. There may be a time in the life of a layout where things have run their course but if you have tgher space then keep it.

ginger_giant wrote: I realise making an exhibition of myself in front of a layout is a rewarding experience.

Taking layouts to exhibitions is quite hard work - I have been doing that for a long time with nine diferent layouts but if the exhibition visitors appreciate what you are showing then that is rewarding in itself.

Terry Bendall

ginger_giant

Postby ginger_giant » Mon Dec 19, 2022 9:51 am

Thank you Steve & Terry.

Once all the building/refurbishment is completed on our house I'll be able to empty my new 'Man Cave' of furniture and put up Tredethy Wharf to sort out the turnout that performed intermittently during the Workington show. I'll also take a good look at what could be improved. Unfortunately this will not be until February.

In the meantime, as Rospeath Lane was not intended to be an exhibition layout, I'm having a hard think about what might be its replacement.

Cheers
Ian

Neil Smith

Postby Neil Smith » Mon Dec 19, 2022 10:12 am

Can I just add to Steve and Terry's comments - personally I think it would be a tragedy if Tredethy Wharf got scrapped. As you will know Ian from being unable to get rid of me at both Kirkby Stephen and Scalefour Cumberland, it has a magnetic quality for me. I think this is partly because of the depth of field as well as the instant recognisability factor, and is just lovely scenic modelling full stop. I know you were frustrated by the errant point motor, but the steady stream of people viewing the layout shows it wasn't just me..

All the best

Neil

Return to “Local Show Publicity”