The Bluebell Railway converts to P4

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

The Bluebell Railway converts to P4

Postby Terry Bendall » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:31 am

Well not quite, but this coming weekend 29th/30th, the Bluebell Railway has a model railway exhibition. The event takes place at both Sheffield Park & Horsted Keynes stations with traders & layouts at both locations. The show will be open from 10 am to 5 pm on Saturday and 10am to 4 pm on Sunday.

I am not sure which other layouts are coming, but one of those on display will be the Mid Sussex group's Brighton Road, a depiction of a slice of the LBSC in South London c1912. You can see pictures of the layout on the main Society web site in the 2009 Scaleforum retospective. I gather that we will be in the carriage shed at Horsted Keynes.

A good excuse, if one were needed, for a trip to Sussex and a chance to see the recently opened extension of the Bluebell to East Grinstead, a task that involved moving many thousands of tons of rubbish that had been used to infill the cutting when the line was closed.

Terry Bendall

Layouts range in size from N gauge in a coconut to ride-on 10 1.4” gauge. Traders include Martell’s, Invicta Model Rail and Trackside Signs.

Rod Cameron

Re: The Bluebell Railway converts to P4

Postby Rod Cameron » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:53 am

I seem to remember going to a model railway event at the Bluebell 15-20 years ago, maybe even more, at which Pulborough, Ferring and Epsom Town were all present - all in a draughty marquee or similar if I recall.

What's the occasion for this one Terry, is it (or likely to become) a regular event?
Rod

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:18 am

Yes quite right Rod there was an exhibition in November 2000 which had a focus on the Southern and its constituent pre-Grouping companies. Pulborough was in the carriage shed along with most of the other layouts and we had a power cut about 3.00pm which, which given the time of the year, was the signal to pack up before it got too dark to see!

It appears that the Bluebell has a small model show last year and this year will be a larger event. There are plans to make it an annual event and it has been mooted that Pulborough will attend next year.

Terry Bendall

Dave K

Postby Dave K » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:37 am

Terry,

Correct and wasn't it fun leveling the layout out over the carriage shed floor. Plus if I remember correctly at the exhibition in 2000 the Blusbell had a gathering of "Terrier's" with the two from the IOW and the one from the K&ES plus at least one of the Bluebell's own.

dcockling

Postby dcockling » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:17 pm

Here are some pictures including some of Brighton Road

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nimbus20/sets/72157634415164752/

All the Best
Danny

Return to “Local Show Publicity”