Manning Wardle no. W1

David Knight

Re: Manning Wardle no. W1

Postby David Knight » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:33 pm

Hi Mark,

I can post a picture of the casting for my MW K class if that would be of any help. It is unadorned as yet but the locating holes for the various bits are fairly self explanatory.

Cheers,

David

MarkS

Postby MarkS » Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:17 pm

Hi Dave,
sure, why not, then maybe someone could explain what the various knobs are for...
Cheers,

Mark.
"In the end, when all is said and done, more will have been said than done..."

David Knight

Postby David Knight » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:29 am

The K class backhead, such as there is of it.
IMG_0829.jpg

For an engine built in 1864 or so you wouldn't expect too much more. The regulator goes in the middle plus just above are the dimples for drilling out the Salter safeties plus gauge glasses and any other things I can figure out from the photos in The Selby Tramway, Part Two.

On the plus side I've managed to fit in CSBs and a vertical Mashima 1015 should just fit in the firebox.

Cheers,

David
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MarkS

Postby MarkS » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:23 pm

Well, some further progress over the holidays has occurred.
The wheels are installed, along with the H/L gearbox, rods are on and it rolls perfectly on a piece of glass.
All very clean and simple with CSB's. (the irony here is the prototype had beams between the front wheels, in addition to springs...)

Medina 2.jpg

With that hurdle out of the way I added weight to the tank, biased toward the rear of the tank, and with a bit more weight in the bunker it sits level.
All good so far, but there is a lot of empty space between the frames that will need some representation of cylinders/rods/valve gear.

Medina 3.jpg

So, how do those CSB's work? - Wheels stay on the track!
I doubt the prototype would do this...

Medina 1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers,

Mark.

SteamAle

Postby SteamAle » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:25 pm

All
I've been trying to follow this thread as and when time allows. I've looked through the collection of photographs that the late Richard Slade had collected but can't find anything to add to what others have said.
If any of you have issues with any of the kits or castings then please get in touch with me and I'll see what I can do to help.
One of the major problems with taking over somebody else's business is that all the knowledge that was in the previous owners head does not come with it. This is so true with the CSP range. Richard was quite happy to sit and cut different pieces off castings to go in different kits. This is very time consuming and requires the knowledge to know which bit goes with which kit. You also end up with a stock of bits because some kits sell better than others! We are trying to rectify this and some of the most recent purchasers of kits will find that they end up with the extra bits to add to their collection! As and when we hope to move to lost wax brass castings rather than whitemetal as some of the moulds are life expired. CSP03 - Kerr Stewart Victory already has some new brass parts. Packing lists for the newer kits are incomplete so again I'm expending lots of time trying to work out what is required. I'm almost there!
Happy modelling
Philip, for CSP Models

MarkS

Postby MarkS » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:53 pm

I have quietly been working on the model as time permits.
The chassis is basically complete, just need to figure out how I will configure the pickups.
There is plenty of room for the 1015 in the firebox.
medina2.jpg

Otherwise, I have been adding the details - cab beading, coal rails and the like and have started the various piping arrangements with the Westinghouse pump. This will be glued in place after painting.
Medina1.jpg

Phillip, I certainly appreciate the difficulties of taking over this type of business, and I also really appreciate the spare bits that came with the kit! They are very useful already.
While I wouldn't classify this as a beginner kit (especially building it in P4), I am finding it enjoyable to build.
The only area to improve (and it would appear that Richard had the same issue) is the firebox backhead info.
I cannot find any decent photos of a class Q backhead on the web (let alone Medina's), so I'm guessing what goes where...

Oh well, a portly driver and a relaxed fireman will provide a view block!
Cheers,

Mark.

SteamAle

Postby SteamAle » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:27 pm

Mark
Not Medina but the only photograph I have showing cab detail. Kerr Stewart, 0-4-0 Mossbay at Foxfield Railway. Very basic as you can see but similar to what you need I think.
Philip
Mossbay at Foxfield Rly sml.jpg

MarkS

Postby MarkS » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:48 am

Thank you Phillip for the photo!
I get the feeling that there was little standardization with industrial locos, so if I get the basics right I'll be OK.
And, since there does not appear to be any photos of Medina's cab interior, who is to say I got it wrong??
Cheers,

Mark.

MarkS

Postby MarkS » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:56 pm

Medina_paint_1.jpg

While I have been quiet on this subject, I have been quietly working on the subject of this thread...

Green was sprayed on the weekend, since we had some warm enough weather, and I have been blocking in the buffer beams and black elsewhere. Roof is just resting, I still need to paint most of the cab interior.

Oh, and it runs quite nicely too!
Cheers,

Mark.

MarkS

Postby MarkS » Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:19 am

I am now basically done, and quite pleased with the results.

Medina 1.0.jpg

A neat prototype, this was a nice kit to build with only minor issues to overcome. As I mentioned earlier, building it in P4 (with CSB) was self-inflicted, easily overcome with a bit of care. (Although half etched frame cutouts would be nice!)
Finding photos of the prototype took a bit of effort, and it appears that this was one of the few Manning Wardle locos without clack valves on the boiler.
The only modification of note was to reduce the depth of the firebox since it took up most of the cab, and photographic evidence of the prototype shows this was not the case. Again, a minor modification, along with replacing the buffers with sprung versions.

medina 1.1.jpg

The etches were excellent, everything fit together nicely - overall a pleasure to build.
Cheers,

Mark.

RobM

Postby RobM » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:26 am

+1.... :thumb ....looking very good
Rob

MarkS

Postby MarkS » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:24 pm

Thanks Rob.

For perspective, "Medina" with her bigger sibling "Bembridge"...

P1050377.jpg

That's it from the Isle of Wight for now.
Cheers,

Mark.

David Knight

Postby David Knight » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:50 pm

Nicely done Mark :thumb :thumb . I look forward to seeing Medina in the flesh at GBTS at the end of the month.

Cheers,

David

SteamAle

Postby SteamAle » Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:52 pm

David,
A couple of photos of the cab interior would be nice to have if you get the chance on your visit.
Philip

David Knight

Postby David Knight » Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:04 am

Philip,

I'll do my best but Mark has positioned a couple of portly crew in the cab so no promises of good pics ;) . BTW, GBTS stands for The Great British Train Show that will be taking place in Brampton, Ontario, Canada on the 28th & 29th of April further details here http://www.theplatelayers.org/gbts2018/ ... ter002.jpg . Mark and I will be exhibiting our combined layouts of Upper Leaside and Nether Upton Light Railways.

Cheers,

David

SteamAle

Postby SteamAle » Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:14 pm

David
My apologies. Head was in a different universe. Was thinking about the full size locomotive but as it is no longer with us it is not possible.
Thanks for the offer to try and do the impossible.
Philip

MarkS

Postby MarkS » Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:42 pm

Philip,
in lieu of a Tardis to go back to the original, this is the best I could do... :D

Medina 1.3.jpg
Cheers,

Mark.

SteamAle

Postby SteamAle » Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:01 pm

Mark
That does look very good.
Many thanks
Philip

Return to “MarkS”