Coaches corner

MarkS

Coaches corner

Postby MarkS » Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:57 pm

Having finished off all the wagon kits in my possession, I have turned my attention to coaches and NPCS kits.
Furthest out of the gate is this one, a fairly ancient plastic Roxey kit for a LMS Period 1, 57' composite.
The interior is now complete, so attention now goes to the exterior...
The main colour is Badger ModelFlex DM&IR maroon, a perfect match for LMS/Midland red.
coach1.jpg

The false roof is fitted and temporarily put on its feet - the bogie sides have been glued to one of the Bedford sprung bogies.
One thing about a plastic kit, you can paint and line out the sides before assembly.
coach2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers,

Mark.
"In the end, when all is said and done, more will have been said than done..."

Natalie Graham

Re: Coaches corner

Postby Natalie Graham » Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:36 pm

Coaches Corner eh? I hope you are wearing the appropriate Don Cherry-esque suit as you write it?

MarkS

Postby MarkS » Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:49 pm

Well Natalie, I figured the reference would be picked up in Nova Scotia before Original Scotia, so I assume you are familiar with this part of the world.
However, I was streaming Montreal beating Pittsburgh on CBC.ca, while working on the coach.
BTW, Don Cherry and I don't share the same sense of fashion, even on Halloween. :shock:

http://praxistheatre.com/wp-content/upl ... k-Suit.jpg
One guess as to whom we are talking about...
Cheers,

Mark.

Natalie Graham

Postby Natalie Graham » Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:05 am

And that is one of his more sober efforts. Don Cherry getting dressed up for Halloween. :shock: It doesn't bear thinking about.

You were streaming the Habs game? Why? The Leafs were playing. ;)

MarkS

Postby MarkS » Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:26 am

Struth, he is scary enough to be (a monster) on Dr. Who...

Born and raised in Montreal, is why, :thumb
Cheers,

Mark.

MarkS

Postby MarkS » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:20 pm

Some further work has occurred on the coach, since it is very cold outside...
Cold enough that the Americans have named it a Polar Vortex... Canadians call it "winter".
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers,

Mark.

Mike Garwood

Postby Mike Garwood » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:54 pm

Beautiful work.

Tor Giffard

Postby Tor Giffard » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:33 pm

....absolutely lovely Mark!

Dave

David Knight

Postby David Knight » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:26 am

Well done as usual Mark.

I've done a minor coach modification while waiting for supplies to arrive. I was inspired by an idea from Geoff Kent a few MRJs back when he showed open droplights on his scratchbuilt coaches so I thought I'd try the same on a kit built one. The following sequence of pics tells the tale.
As it comes.jpg

A basic set of doors with droplights
trimmed and fitted.jpg

The surround has been filed away and a small scrap of plastic inserted to represent the top of the droplight.
Painted and glazed.jpg

As the caption suggests, the job has been painted and glazed. I have since rubbed down the rather spotty paint job and taken off the worst of the 'texture' plus dulled the finish so the flaws are not so obvious at 'normal viewing distances'. The moral of the story is I should practice more with my airbrush.

Cheers,

David

MarkS

Postby MarkS » Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:19 pm

Final update, added the under bits and running boards
P1040863.JPG

All done, but for some light weathering...
P1040867.JPG

Quite a rich livery in the right light...
P1040865.JPG

For an old plastic kit, acquired in the 1980's, I am pleasantly surprised how well it turned out.
Cheers,

Mark.

Colin Parks

Postby Colin Parks » Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:53 am

Hi Mark,

I must say that the finish of your coach sides looks excellent. Have you used a bow pen? You certainly have mastered the 'dark art' of lining!

All the best,

Colin

MarkS

Postby MarkS » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:36 am

Thanks Colin,

yes, bow pen (I have several) and an "insane detail" brush (think ooooo size)
Top coat is Future. I have been practising the dark art for many, many years. Still learning!
Cheers,

Mark.

MarkS

Postby MarkS » Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:57 pm

Having finished the first Roxey kit, I had planned to do the second one in my possession (an all 3rd) over the summer.
I sprayed the sides, in preparation for lining and lettering.

But then, my old Mainline Brake 3rd caught my eye...
It was in a late LMS livery that looked quite plain, so I stripped it down. I replaced the rooftop ventilators, buffers and corridor connections with Comet parts.
The undercarriage has some more Comet parts to replace the original toy bits, and footboards will be added for the guard.
Sprayed with the same Badger DM&IR maroon I used previously, I lined it out in full glorious period 1 livery, not repeating errors I made on the first coach.
This time I used Humbrol satin for the clear coat, while not as shiny and rich as Future, still looks OK...

P1050129.JPG

Over the years I have tried different paints for lining out locos and coaches and I find that Humbrol gloss is still the best to use in a bow pen.
While I have successfully used matt Humbrol from time to time, gloss flows better and longer.
As for Acrylics, I have have no success using them for lining - they dry almost instantly on the pen. Thinning just makes it run all over the model...

Has anyone had better experience with acrylics?
Cheers,

Mark.

Mark Tatlow

Postby Mark Tatlow » Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:52 pm

They look very fine Mark and, but for one thing, the Mainline coach does not show its origins.

With regard to the one thing, find Shawplan on the web (Brian is a society member) and you will find that they do laser cut windows for these coaches.

I really don't know why period 1 LMS is not more popular - how do people resist the fully lined coaches?
Mark Tatlow

MarkS

Postby MarkS » Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:24 am

Thanks Mark,
I totally agree about the glazing, the Roxey kit looks much better in this area.
In my defence, I was feeling lazy... :o However, I'll investigate Shawplan.

Over the years, I have had to develop the ability to paint fully lined coaches since resistance has proven futile...
Cheers,

Mark.

billbedford

Postby billbedford » Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:13 am

MarkS wrote:As for Acrylics, I have have no success using them for lining - they dry almost instantly on the pen. Thinning just makes it run all over the model...

Has anyone had better experience with acrylics?

Art shops sell acrylic extenders, which are intended to slow the paint drying. Acrylic paints are also less pigment dense than enamels which helps to tone down the lining when it's wider than scale.

MarkS

Postby MarkS » Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:50 pm

Thanks Bill,
next time I'm over at my local hobby shop, I'll look into it.

One of the things that can drive me crazy is having to mix matt paints ready for use... the choice usually is between much stirring with a small screwdriver, or shaking by hand.
Some folks of course, attach a small paddle to a Dremel - but a friend once had an "incident" with the paddle getting stuck in the Humbrol tin until the Dremel flung it off across the room...

So, I went to the Internet and found that some military modellers have used a jig saw to shake their paints, sometimes using a ball bearing if the pigment has really settled.
I taped a bottle that had sat too long to a long blade that had been tightened in place in the jig saw, turned it on for a minute and the paint was well mixed!
I have used the method for Humbrol tins as well, 30 seconds does it, a touch longer for matt colours.

Works a treat, just make sure to tape the bottle/tin securely...
Cheers,

Mark.

DougN

Postby DougN » Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:22 am

Never would have thought of using the jigsaw like that. Interestingly I have a perfectly good but old jig saw that I can no longer buy blades for so it might have a new lease on life. :thumb
Doug
Still not doing enough modelling

MarkS

Postby MarkS » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:45 pm

Previously in this thread -
Having finished the first Roxey kit, I had planned to do the second one in my possession (an all 3rd) over the summer.
I sprayed the sides, in preparation for lining and lettering.

Two years later, I have finished the coach, finally!

P1050342.jpg
Cheers,

Mark.

MarkS

Postby MarkS » Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:54 am

Postby Mark Tatlow » Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:52 pm
They look very fine Mark and, but for one thing, the Mainline coach does not show its origins.

With regard to the one thing, find Shawplan on the web (Brian is a society member) and you will find that they do laser cut windows for these coaches.

Well, it took a trip to Scaleforum (3 years later - Toronto is far away!), but I did finally acquire some laser cut windows.
(I also acquired another Mainline Brake 3rd, and renovations are underway...)

Of course these windows, as excellent as they are, do not come with hand rails or safety grills.
So, I had to make some...
P1050741.JPG

And handrails, using a jig to line them up
P1050739.JPG

I used Future (I still have half a bottle of the original stuff), to hold the glazing in place and I believe the results were worth the effort...and I got to go to Scaleforum!
P1050747.JPG
P1050745.JPG
Last edited by MarkS on Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers,

Mark.

Le Corbusier

Postby Le Corbusier » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:35 am

Fantastic modelling Mark .... :thumb
Tim Lee

CornCrake

Postby CornCrake » Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:08 pm

Hear, hear!
And thanks for the photo of the handrail jig tip.
Steve

iak

Postby iak » Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:27 pm

Very tasty.
That jig is a grand idea... :thumb
Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest
enemy of truth....
Albert Einstein

Perfection is impossible.
But I may choose to serve perfection....
Robert Fripp

https://www.facebook.com/groups/PadgateWorks/

MarkS

Postby MarkS » Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:58 pm

Thank you for your kind comments!
Jigs seem to be a popular so here is the jig I used to create the grills for the luggage/parcels/guards compartment.

Using a razor saw, I cut parallel grooves in a piece of 1/4 inch square wood.
I then pushed the rods into the grooves, then flipped over the assembly, squared up the ends and soldered very thins strips at each end. Lastly, I cleaned the parts and painted them a suitable steel colour.
(The grill in the photo is already complete and is for illustration. You can see the parallel cuts for the 4 bar grill in the second photo...)
This is simple stuff, but saves burnt fingers and time - it told took me less than an hour to build a dozen grills.
P1050748.JPG
P1050750.JPG
Cheers,

Mark.

Noel

Postby Noel » Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:37 pm

MarkS wrote:Lastly, I cleaned the parts and painted them a suitable steel colour.

Mild steel rusts [very easily], which is an issue when luggage or whatever is then piled against it [which is why the bars are there in the first place in the van windows] or people touch it. So far as I know, they were always painted in BR days [black I believe], although I don't know about LMSR practice. From memory, LMS coaches, like BR mark 1s, had wooden corridor guardrails [although BR switched to aluminium later, I think]. In Mark 1s any unpainted metal fittings were aluminium, which would not have seen more than limited use pre-war. Memory is not reliable this many years later; however, I would question unpainted steel.
Regards
Noel

Return to “MarkS”