Distractions - the turntable on my workbench...

MarkS

Distractions - the turntable on my workbench...

Postby MarkS » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:58 am

Since there really is no place for turntables, and since it is on my workbench currently, this seems like the place to start.
Why "Distractions"?, because I really should be getting on with the my 3F,
(see http://www.scalefour.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=2019),
but like many of us, I got distracted by the new "shiny object" in this case a MetalSmiths turntable kit...

First of all, it is a really nice kit, the components are very very good, and it is well engineered.

This shows the well kit and the deck and underframe which all bolts together.
P1040583.JPG

The underneath shot...
P1040586.JPG

And the deck, holes drilled, and sanded, ready for handrails etc... The big holes down the middle are for the screws to join to the underframe.
P1040589.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers,

Mark.
"In the end, when all is said and done, more will have been said than done..."

DougN

Re: Distractions - the turntable on my workbench...

Postby DougN » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:02 am

Very nice Mark,

no doubt the 3f will get a spin once you have found the will to keep going. In the mean time you will have a nice peice of engineering to to play with.
Doug
Still not doing enough modelling

jasp

Postby jasp » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:47 am

Turntable kit looks great, unfortunately, they still do not do it in the other diameters (50' being what I need)
I have sent two emails requested information about when they expect to produce the 50' turntable but have had no response - disappointing and poor customer service.
Jim P

MarkS

Postby MarkS » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:39 pm

Well, Jim, I have to agree with you when it comes down to their customer service, it is very poor.
I feel that the product is superb, but I had a frustrating experience acquiring the kit, it took months for them to reply sometimes.
Cheers,

Mark.

Mark Tatlow

Postby Mark Tatlow » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:04 pm

That looks interesting Mark; did you also buy their operating kit? I was thinking of doing so as it looks quite fine.

With a rivet tool, I found making a turntable (I have a 55 footer) pretty easy. You just got to get a rythym going!

I know that this does not help those of you in more distant shores, but Metalsmiths were at the Nottingham show last year and may well be there again this year. There will be a definate contingent of society members at the nottingham show so one of them may be able to raise a query for you and perhaps extol the virtues of customer service?
Mark Tatlow

MarkS

Postby MarkS » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:51 pm

Mark, no, I didn't acquire the operating kit because at the time it wasn't ready. I have several geared motors and the interior remains of a VCR that should allow me to spin the table realistically. Might even go manual, we'll see.
Fortunately, I wanted a 60 footer... and after "thinking" about building one for myself for many years, I knew it would only get built if I bought the kit.

I found MetalSmiths customer service was more of an afterthought, their primary focus being a quality product, which in itself is a good thing, but you need to be attentive to your customer.
I can understand if kit is delayed when they were waiting for back ordered parts, especially with small suppliers, but it can make a difference if you let the customer know up front, not 6 months later when the parts show up...

Jim P, I notice that they have priced their 50' and 42' TT's, but they are listed as not yet available. I take it that was the nature of your enquiry?
Cheers,

Mark.

jasp

Postby jasp » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:25 pm

Hi Mark
My enquiries asked when they expected to produce the 50' turntable in P4/S4. I had also hoped my (public-ish) posting might produce a response
I hadn't realised you were from Canada - makes communications etc even more difficult.
Mark T's suggestion of using the S4 Society "muscle" at shows has possibilities which I will investigate
Cheers
Jim

philchudley

Postby philchudley » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:44 pm

I sent a similar query in December 2010 regarding the availability of the Pre Group 50' turntable kit. I received a reply on 3rd January 2011 to the effect

We have PG50 available (as RTR only, at present), for delivery 4-5 weeks.
Prices as per website, but will be subject to the VAT increase. We do not ask for deposits, but a card number secures the order. Cards are not processed until the order is ready for despatch.

Did not persue as my budget was for the kit (half the price of the RTR), not sure if things have moved on since then as the website still says "Others to follow"

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:22 pm

Does seem a bit odd that they would be prepared to spend 2 or 3 days building it but not an hour or so packing up the bits. The instructions for the longer version should be good enough or at least need minimal alteration.
Keith
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

MarkS

Postby MarkS » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:00 pm

P1040591.JPG

Started working on the rails, there are four pins per side to solder to (for power to the rails), then I will spread the chairs out and glue them down.
There are holes in the deck that the (P4) track jigs (the three rectangular blocks) fit into that sets the gauge, position on the deck and makes soldering a snap...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers,

Mark.

MarkS

Postby MarkS » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:36 am

A little more work on the deck, washed with a mix of IPA and a couple of drops of India ink - the handrails are all soldered up and attached.
Having checked a few photos, the handrails are far too straight! Not sure if chaired rail would be used either...

P1040596.JPG
Cheers,

Mark.

nberrington

Postby nberrington » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:44 pm

Hi Mark - impressed to see you make a go at this. Mine is still in the box.
Turns out my 3F is also sitting idle, as I have been "distracted" by illness and a "promotion" at work.
However: excuses aside, we will need to fire up the old soldering iron sometime soon.

Looking good on the turntable. Looks the part!

Neil

MarkS

Postby MarkS » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:00 am

Thanks Neil, glad to have you back, I hear a hobby is good medicine for a full recovery...

More progress on the underframe, which is now complete, ready for paint. This was very satisfying, since soldering on the framing is perhaps the most time consuming part of the kit.
P1040597.JPG

Next will be bolting the deck to the underframe, and wiring the rails to the carrying wheels, which pick up power from the ring rails in the pit.
This is the only real mystery with this kit, since the track is soldered to pins through to the copper strips under the deck seen here.
P1040599.JPG

The four cross members that the deck is bolted to neatly bridge the gap thus shorting the whole thing!
Some thought was given to this issue since the side frames are gapped.
P1040598.JPG

I would send an email to MetalSmiths and ask, but I want to finish the kit before 2014.

Anyway, my solution will be to run some Scotch tape along the strips on the underside of the deck to insulate the deck from the underframe.

More to come...
Cheers,

Mark.

jasp

Postby jasp » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:53 am

The turntable is looking great, I am so envious and still yearning for a 50' one. Keep it coming, please
I do wish they would respond to my emails - maybe I should write to them, recorded delivery, SAE etc!
Jim P

MarkS

Postby MarkS » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:25 am

Thanks Jim, maybe that would get their attention, although I suspect in person might be best, with cash in hand?

Some more, albeit slow progress, I have added a lick of paint, but some heavy weathering is called for I think. BTW, the TT walls are Exactoscale brick paper.
TT.jpg

Electrically, it all works, final wiring will occur once I have motorized it. This is how the drive turns the table, so the deck can be removed, power travels via the ring rails through the wheels and then to the deck.
under TT.jpg

Finally, this is gives an idea of where this is going, but with a 3F in the future and a lot more scenery.
4F turntable.jpg

(yes, the tender is wrong, and noted on the roundtuit list...)
Cheers,

Mark.

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:45 am

Not sure if chaired rail would be used either...

Amongst my books with shed pics there are several with chaired rail, at least one with deck and handrails matching yours. Others with FB rail also so you can take your pick.
Regards
Keith
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

MarkS

Postby MarkS » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:00 pm

Thanks Keith,
chaired it shall remain!
Cheers,

Mark.

MarkS

Postby MarkS » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:05 pm

I have not been doing much modelling over the summer, but managed to motorize the turntable.
Nothing fancy mind, MERG members will be rolling their eyes at the simplicity of it all, just a DPDT switch and power through the controller...
The motor gearhead has a bazillion to one ratio so it takes about 45 seconds at 6 volts to turn a loco 180 degrees.
I have used elastics to hold the motor in place while I prove the arrangement, I'll probably just duct tape it... I have no shame.

P1040735.JPG
Cheers,

Mark.

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:45 pm

MarkS wrote:I have used elastics to hold the motor in place while I prove the arrangement, I'll probably just duct tape it... I have no shame.

Racers' Credo: if it won't move and you want it to, WD40; if it moves and you don't want it to, duct tape.

There is an alternative version that substitutes cable (zip) ties, but although they are better for fixing broken zips, they are nowhere near as effective at holding pizza boxes together...

HTH
Flymo
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

MarkS

Postby MarkS » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:54 am

Thank you Flymo, I feel oddly vindicated...
Cheers,

Mark.

Return to “MarkS”