Coaching Stock on Stowe Fen

Chris Mitton

Coaching Stock on Stowe Fen

Postby Chris Mitton » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:19 am

As recently promised / threatened, a few pics of the D&S ex-GER 50' corridor coaches I'm building - Danny Pinnock etched them for me during 2011 and I've amazed myself to have got this far.... I don't think these kits are for the faint-hearted but I'm quite pleased with how they're turning out :o
The set comprises brake third, composite and third. Structurally they are complete (apart from fixing a few glitches) and ready for painting - I'm trying to work up the courage to attempt varnished teak! Then they need glazing, handrails and doorhandles etc, and couplings, but the main omission to date is roof detail - I have side and end elevations of these but no plan view so I'm having to conjecture a bit about various pipe and cable runs. Any info appreciated. Also there are no corridor connections - Danny's instructions say he's working on them (c) 1986! Round tuits anyone? or better still any helpful suggestions welcome.....

First, two views of the brake third......
StoweFen-Coaches-3.JPG

StoweFen-Coaches-4.JPG

This is the bogie of the composite, which is nearly all etchings and miniscule turnings, very fiddly and nearly drove me mental but I managed it without sacrificing anything to the Great Carpet God....I looked at this pic for several minutes feeling pleased with myself, then realised I'd left out the tie bars across the bottom of the bogie sides - this was the first of the trio and I was well into the second before realising what those little brass strips were for! I suppose I'll have to glue them in now it's painted :x
StoweFen-Coaches-2.JPG

Here is the composite - I don't seem to have any photos of the all third.
StoweFen-Coaches-1.JPG

Finally, just to show that my (fictitious) bit of the GN&GE Joint does have some Doncaster input, here is another of Danny Pinnock's recent products, an ex-GNR six-wheel full brake, before and after getting an undercoat but no (yet) teak, and roof detail....
StoweFen-Coaches-6.JPG

StoweFen-Coaches-5.JPG

More on locos soon.....

Regards
Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Re: Coaching Stock on Stowe Fen

Postby Terry Bendall » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:51 am

Very nice Chris. If you can get along to Scaleforum and they are finished in time, they would be just the job for the display case and you might even want to put them in the Chairman's Cup competition.

Terry Bendall

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:15 am

They do look very nice, for gangways why not try Masokits?
Regards
Keith
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Eastern

Postby Eastern » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:16 am

I also think they look nice. As Keith suggests, Masokits gangways will work and look good.

They do need some modification to fit the coach end profile since they are based on later LMS/GWR profile. I'm part way through doing that with mine. To match with the curve at the bottom I made an additional overlay from 5thou brass sheet soldered to the existing Masokits wrapper, and you need to modify them to fit under the top step on the coach end. You also need to check what type of corridor connection was used on the coach that you model, since the GER used several different versions. That is down to photos. Most of the one's that I have come from the GER Society Journals.

As for roof details/pipe and cable runs, that is tricky. Drawings that I presently have do not show much and photos generally do not show roof details since they are most often taken at track side and platform level.

Good luck with finishing them off.

Roger

Will L

Postby Will L » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:59 pm

Chris Mitton wrote:.. D&S ex-GER 50' corridor coaches ...there are no corridor connections - Danny's instructions say he's working on them (c) 1986! Round tuits anyone? or better still any helpful suggestions welcome.....

Its not true that Danny never produced a suitable corridor connection, though they don't seem to have been generally available. Quite why I don't know.

This scan shows both sides of the etch
D&S Corridor connection.jpg

And this Picture is of a completed one fitted to a Brake 3rd. It just wants the paper bellows to be complete. This coach has been in this state for some years, awaiting the advent of a suitable layout to run on.
D&S Corridor connection pic.jpg

I think I had instructions from Danny, but I can't currently find them. They may have been hand written or even verbal! Careful inspection will show that the finished item is not quite as etched. The catches have been removed, I think they prevent two adjacent corridor connection butting up to each other properly. Also the etch allows for the corridor connection to be externally suspended from brackets on the coach end, but this is not correct for these coaches.

Before you ask, I only have enough for the coach kits I have.

Will
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DougN

Postby DougN » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:04 am

Chris and Will, the coaches look great. You should both be very chuffed. the D&S coachs i have built take along time but once every thing is going they become easier to put together. I really do enjoy them.

umm I may even start another this weekend at the exhibition in Melbourne!
Doug
Still not doing enough modelling

Chris Mitton

Postby Chris Mitton » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:54 pm

Many thanks to all for your kind words.

Particular thanks to Will for the news about the existence of Danny's own corridor connection etches - does anyone know if Danny Pinnock is still trading, if so I might give him a ring, but I'd be reluctant to disturb an old codger if he's now fully retired.

I can see most of how that etch goes together - presumably the arch bit with the foldover tabs is attached above the door and the long side-and-top piece is attached to it and to the coach end. Presumably also the outer framework butts up against the next coach and the folded-in sides of it and the floor slide around the sides while the coaches follow curves - but how is it attached? Is that what the small parts with a hole in the centre do? Also why the strange shape at the top of the outer frame, which looks like a curved foldover line....somewhat impossible!

Regards
Chris

Will L

Postby Will L » Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:31 pm

Chris Mitton wrote:Many thanks to all for your kind words.

Particular thanks to Will for the news about the existence of Danny's own corridor connection etches - does anyone know if Danny Pinnock is still trading, if so I might give him a ring, but I'd be reluctant to disturb an old codger if he's now fully retired.

I can see most of how that etch goes together - presumably the arch bit with the foldover tabs is attached above the door and the long side-and-top piece is attached to it and to the coach end. Presumably also the outer framework butts up against the next coach and the folded-in sides of it and the floor slide around the sides while the coaches follow curves - but how is it attached? Is that what the small parts with a hole in the centre do? Also why the strange shape at the top of the outer frame, which looks like a curved foldover line....somewhat impossible!

Regards
Chris

I found the instructions, but I'm not at home I'll post them on Monday.

Will

Chris Mitton

Postby Chris Mitton » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:57 pm

Many thanks Will, you're a star :D

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:01 am

Chris Mitton wrote:does anyone know if Danny Pinnock is still trading

I expect there will be others who have more information, but my understanding is that Danny is doing a few 7mm kits and that is it. If he has the masters I guess he might do something in 4mm if asked.

Terry Bendall

Eastern

Postby Eastern » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:16 am

The curved top part on the outer section will be extensions that were present on some corridor connectors to allow connection with pullman type gangways. The half etch line will allow you to take those extensions off if your prototype doesn't have the extensions. The extensions were only used on a pool of carriages that operated with vehicles of other companies that used pullman gangways. I'm not sure how many GER carriages were fitted with the extensiosn, but most would not have them.

Lindsay G

Postby Lindsay G » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:58 am

Danny Pinnock is still producing some kits in 4mm. In the last year I've purchased a 15t breakdown crane (the Mk1 version not available via Brassmasters) and 2 horseboxes from him. He seems to produce kits in small batches, so if what you are after isn't available an order might be possible. Best to give him a call (01763 288 353). He doesn't have an email address.

Lindsay

Will L

Postby Will L » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:17 pm

Will L wrote:I found the instructions, but I'm not at home I'll post them on Monday.

As promised
D&S CC instructions.jpg

Will

Chris Mitton

Postby Chris Mitton » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:00 am

Hi Will

Many thanks for this, very helpful - I think I can see now what goes where and which bits I don't need. All I need now is some etches..... :)

Regards
Chris

RedDragon

Postby RedDragon » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:44 pm

Dan Pinnock has recently issued a new list of the models he is re releasing during 2013, it includes GER, NER, NBR and LNER 4 wheel stock as well as some bogie GNR and NER NPCS stock later in the year.

DougN

Postby DougN » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:41 pm

Red Dragon, can you put the list on line? Iam rather interested in the NER coachs.
Doug

Wizard of the Moor

Postby Wizard of the Moor » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:05 pm

http://www.lner.info/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8609

Don't think that you have to be a member to view this.

There is aso a special release of the NER dynamometer car.

http://www.lner.info/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8608
James Dickie

My workbench

DougN

Postby DougN » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:21 am

Thanks very much for that. Not really interested in those listed but you never know when things will!
Doug

John Palmer

Postby John Palmer » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:17 pm

Thank you very much for posting this welcome news! I'm particularly pleased to note the re-run of the NB fish vans, of which I could use several.

RedDragon

Postby RedDragon » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:06 pm

On the list I received from Dan last Saturday, he detailed a second release for Sept thru to Nov this year as follows -

DS229 NER Bogie Road van 25t G&
DS276 GNR Luggage Brake 45' D296
DS277 GNR Milk Van 45' D329
DS280 GNR Pass. Brake 51' D293
DS281 GNR Lugg Milk Brake D310
DS292 GNR GNR Pass Brake 51' D307 (wide panels)

There is also a footnote suggesting that the NER Clerestories are currently available to order.

DougN

Postby DougN » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:05 pm

Thanks Red Dragon. I will see if the bank account could allow one or 2 and send off a letter
Doug

RedDragon

Postby RedDragon » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:40 pm

Just to confirm that the Corridor Connectors (Gangways) for the GER 52' coaching stock are still available from D&S Models. I have just received a batch to allow me to complete my rake of coaches. D&S reference number DS100 CG2 applies.

Chris Mitton

Postby Chris Mitton » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:41 pm

RedDragon wrote:Just to confirm that the Corridor Connectors (Gangways) for the GER 52' coaching stock are still available from D&S Models. I have just received a batch to allow me to complete my rake of coaches. D&S reference number DS100 CG2 applies.

Thanks for the info, RedDragon. You've now kyboshed my excuse for not getting them finished.... :shock:

Regards
Chris

Return to “Chris Mitton”