A Highland Miscellany

Mark Tatlow

Re: A Highland Miscellany

Postby Mark Tatlow » Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:22 pm

Paul Cram wrote:
Are you missing a half etch line on the side of the bogie at the bottom right? I presume that this would fold up.

Paul - thanks for that. It wasn't an intentional mistake; it was just a mistake!!!
Mark Tatlow

Julian Roberts

Postby Julian Roberts » Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:59 am

Mark Tatlow wrote:As a diversion from the lever frame, I have made a start on the first bit of civils required for Glenmutchkin. To segmentalise the layout and create more room for descrete vistas and cameos, I intend to introduce an overbridge in the throat of the station. This will mean that you can not see what is happening at the station approaches/loco shed end from the platform end and vice versa.

The bridge is in fact modelled on the one at Killiecrankie, but there were very similar ones at The Mound, Kyle of Lochalsh, Keith amongst others. Heres a picture of the Kyle one:

Hi Mark

I've only just started to study this thread, rather late in the day I see it is rich in ideas for my Kyle shed layout. This quote is on Page 4. I'm going to need the same pattern of lattice girder, so could I ask how you made it? - in brief terms I mean - is there an etch available somewhere?
Screenshot_20210711-130027_Chrome.jpg

I see you pay attention to the courses lining up at the corners of the wingwalls. Just for a laugh here is a pic of part of the bridge at Beck Houses near Grayrigg on a bike ride yesterday - obviously not the same part, hopefully not dodgy.
20210710_145519.jpg

Lovely signals! - I'm going to need the exact same pair of shunt signals to leave the yard, plus a gantry of four and a set of three in the cutting.

I wonder if you're making an interlocking lever frame for Glenmutchkin.

Mark Tatlow

Postby Mark Tatlow » Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:59 am

Hi Julian,

The lattice girder came from parts drawn up by Alistair Wright many many moons ago. They are not in either the elements that went to Lochgorm Models or (I think) in what went to the new owner of 5522 Models. They are probably thus lost.

It is something I have been thinking about, as a lattice girder bridge is something that ought to be of use to a load of other people. I will let you know if I confront it at some point.

Many of the bridges on the WCML where renewed when the line was originally electrified; especially the phase 2 electrification north of Crewe. I too hope there is some bonding somehow between the sections of the bridge parapet and the wing wall parapet!

I can offer more joy with the signals as these have been made with parts from my range and that of MSE, so they are still capable of being replicated.

Mark
Mark Tatlow

charleswrigley

Postby charleswrigley » Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:42 am

With my Lochgorm Kits hat on, I have retrieved a girder from my garage. However, at 35 x 285mm I rather suspect that is a 7mm scale version of Alistair Wright's original. I do have a 'Girder Bridge" listed in my stock of phototools which I again suspect is 7mm scale. I may have the artwork somewhere in its original 4mm form or it could be possible to rescale the 7mm artwork. Either way I don't think that the girder bridge has disappeared in toto but I wouldn't guarantee to produce one right away.

Hope this helps

Charlie

IMG_1205.JPG

Daddyman

Postby Daddyman » Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:19 pm

charleswrigley wrote:With my Lochgorm Kits hat on, I have retrieved a girder from my garage. However, at 35 x 285mm I rather suspect that is a 7mm scale version of Alistair Wright's original. I do have a 'Girder Bridge" listed in my stock of phototools which I again suspect is 7mm scale. I may have the artwork somewhere in its original 4mm form or it could be possible to rescale the 7mm artwork. Either way I don't think that the girder bridge has disappeared in toto but I wouldn't guarantee to produce one right away.

Hope this helps

Charlie

IMG_1205.JPG

Could I ask what the state of play is with the 4mm locos in the Lochgorm range?

Phil O

Postby Phil O » Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:18 pm

It's possible to scratch build lattice bridges, have a look at the Manchester Central and Castlefield viaduct thread and similar threads by Ron Heggs on RMweb. Sorry no link, but the guy is truly inspirational, with what he does with plastic strip.

Cheers Phil.

PS, you may find that his load testing methods are also enlightening.

Phil O

Postby Phil O » Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:31 am

Further to my post above, here's the link to Ron's exquisite structural modelling.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index ... ent-296162

In his signature box are links to other structure builds.

Cheers

Phil.

Julian Roberts

Postby Julian Roberts » Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:29 am

Many thanks chaps. I've sent a PM Charles. Inspirational indeed Phil. :)

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:55 pm

Mark Tatlow wrote:Hi Julian,

The lattice girder came from parts drawn up by Alistair Wright many many moons ago. They are not in either the elements that went to Lochgorm Models or (I think) in what went to the new owner of 5522 Models. They are probably thus lost.

Hi Mark,

I've had a look at the master spreadsheet that I wrote up of the various elements of the 5522 range that I acquired, and there is an entry described as "Footbridge diagonal (Weedon)" on tool 2460.

I had a test etch, sight unseen, of this sheet done a few years ago. Apart for 15 LMS bogies, and some LMS coach ends, it produced a pair of the sorts of lattice sides that you would have coming down the sides of steps to the platform. Not the lattice girders themselves.

I'm afraid that I can't identify anything else on the master list that comes close. Having been and looked through the entire stock of etches yesterday, there's nothing in any of the other test etches that I have had which looks even vaguely like them either. The existing artwork is spread between Grange & Hodder, PEC and Chempix as producers as well, so I wouldn't even know who to start asking about the history of any girders.

Sorry to draw a blank on this one.
Paul
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

davebradwell

Postby davebradwell » Sat Jul 17, 2021 2:07 pm

Suggest, Paul, you check with Chempix (now Precision Micro) that they still have your tools. When I finally had to retrieve mine from them they'd chucked several away that had not been used for a while. Not too bad where there's a digital master, although presentation needs changing, but some were the result of some deft camera work by Phil Jennings. I believe PEC have a camera, still, but that's rare now.

DaveB

Return to “Mark Tatlow”