A few days without any updates, as I've put modelling and the Forum to one side whilst doing a major rearrangement in my study to accommodate the 3D printer. It now all works well, and I'm looking forward to resuming projects.
There was one more slightly odd thing about putting the gearbox of the 48xx together. Like the previous post, this may be something that I did wrong, or it may be down to my selection of components - I bought the chassis kit a couple of years ago, and I can't remember if I was offered a choice of gear ratios or not.
The instructions say that you should fasten the gearbox "box" to the front of the motor, and then put the gears in place and hold them with the gear-axles. When I came to do this with the first gear wheel, I couldn't get it to fit:
No matter what approach and angle I tried, I had no success. So I did the obvious and simple thing, and took the gearbox off the motor. Again. After the mistakes and modifications that I'd made at the previous stage, I was getting slightly fed up of tiny screws and jewellers' screwdrivers...
But taking one step back to go two steps forward was definitely the way for it to work:
As is my usual practice, the axles in the gearbox are secured with a touch of thick
superglue. Don't try the thin stuff, or it will run everywhere and lock your gearbox and motor solid. That's not a DAMHIK, but it's something that I would almost certainly do.
The use of Slo-Zap applied with the end of a cocktail stick works perfectly, and creates a strong bond that (between a couple of metal surfaces like this) can be broken if necessary with some reasonable force. It works for me, and is much safer in my view than soldering the axle ends.
So now, finally, the chassis build is pretty much at an end, and on to the painting