DougN wrote:Oh gees... I have a feeling the narrator needs to turn up with something like....
How will our intrepid hero survive the cliff hanging problem of the gloop bottle... was there a mix up between the tea and the gloop bottle.... did the old airfix shell suddenly dissolve and turn into a LMS jinty... only time will answer dear reader
Any how Paul everything is recoverable... then there is always a swap meet where another body could be found for a fiver...or was the whole thing more mundane like work saying it needs all your time for 3 weeks.
Well Doug, I did leave things with a sense of drama, although fortunately it just turned into a sense of frustration rather than disaster. And I didn't end up drinking the contents of the gloop bottle.
I've mentioned previously that I have a bit of a magpie mind for modelling, so have multiple things on the go at the same time. Sometimes it's something that's been hanging around, sometimes it's a project that only needs ten minutes to do before work in the morning. Over here https://www.scalefour.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=6988
I've written up the story of the Jidenco Calf Van, which I've had in a "Work In Progress" drawer for a couple of years.
Now it had reached the stage that needed a dunk in the ultrasonic bath to remove all the flux, glass fibre splinters, etc.
I usually use a laboratory cleaner in the plain water - I think it was a recommendation a few years ago from someone like Ted Scannel, to whom I'm very grateful as it does an excellent job. It doesn't need much, just around about a 2% solution, which in my bath is literally a small splash:
So having done the van, and having the 48xx body to hand, I thought I would give it a quick run through to remove all the plastic shavings, sanded powder, etc from the nooks and crannies. However, I've never tried a painted model in the ultrasonic bath with Neutracon, and as it's a fairly benign fluid, I thought nothing of it.
So I popped the body in, hit the <GO> button and left it to it. When it had finished a couple of cycles, I looked at it, and there seemed to be a couple of bubbles in the paint. Odd...
Lifting it out, under my fingers, the paint literally fell off:
A bit of scrubbing under the tap with an old toothbrush showed just how much paint had lifted:
Unfortunately, the remaining paint was still firmly fixed and couldn't be easily be scraped off. So it was out with the trusty ModelStrip, slather (a Jamie Oliver word, usually used in the context of applying olive oil to vegetables) all over and pop in the oven at gas mark 4, no, pop in a plastic bag and leave for 48 hours.
As usual, the ModelStrip did its job, and after rinsing and a bit of picking of paint out of nooks and crannies with a scalpel, I was back to this:
So back on track, a bit of a two steps forward, three steps back, but no harm done in the long term. Next time, back to hacking plastic about...