Beer and Buckjumpers

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Get out more!

Postby Paul Willis » Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:50 pm

Visit your local Area Group!

Or, as I did yesterday, visit your second nearest Area Group. It's one that is a little far away for me to visit every month, which makes it even more enjoyable when I can.

In a little over twelve months, the North East Essex Area Group have grown into a lively and well attended monthly meeting of like-minded finescale modellers. They have their own section of the Scalefour Society Forum, but most importantly also have coffee and biscuits at there meetings!

Last night I was present at their monthly meeting. This is hosted in the spacious surroundings of the clubrooms of the Colchester Model Engineers, surprisingly enough, in Colchester.

NEEAG July 2014.jpg

We had a turnout of eleven that were present at yesterday's meeting, seen here gathered around the former Derek Genzel test track that was donated to the group and has been renovated. It's quite a test track as it actually has three separate signal "boxes"!

In the foreground was a discussion of Jol Wilkinson's latest construction. A London Road Models kit of (if I remember the box correctly) an LNER D12. This was in part finished state, and it was literally the first time that the locomotive had run under its own power.

In the background, there was admiration of Richard Hall's class 47. Rather than being an RTR conversion, this had been built some time ago from an MOK (Modern Outline Kits) etched brass kit. Richard said that this was the first time that it had run in around twelve years! It was initially a little reluctant to move, but it was soon running up and down the length of the track.

So very definitely a meeting of "something old, something new"...

And the promise of something new continues next month, when it is intended to have a lecture on using 3D printing for modelling. I hope that I can make it!

Cheers
Flymo
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Going medieval...

Postby Paul Willis » Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:54 pm

...although not in a good way.

Before we went away for the weekend, I decided to glaze the windows of the Coffeepot. Normally, when I am faced with windows in a locomotive cab, I leave them unglazed. Yes, they can look empty, but from normal viewing distance that isn't really noticable, and I'd rather have that than do something cack-handed that looks obviously wrong.

However for this model I decided to try something different, so I remembered that a while ago I had invested in one of those pots of "glazing solutions". You know, the ones that you spread around the windows using a cocktail stick and them leave to dry.

Well, I did that, popped the model safely under a dust cover, and left it to dry. The finish had been quite lumpy immediately on application, and I had hoped that it would smooth down and settle into a glass-like finish. Well, it had, but not quite as I expected:

Glazing 1.JPG

Glazing 2.JPG

The glazing had smoothed, and set, but it was left with many small bubbles in it. In fact, it looked like the sort of handmade glass that is often found in historic buildings, with the slight imperfections from the blowing technique before industrial production began.

Glazing 3.JPG

However I don't think that Stratford at the end of the 19th century would have been using glass such as this.

Fortunately, with a gentle prod with the tweezers, I was able to extract all four solidly set discs from the apertures. They came out with no damage to the paintwork, which was nice as well.

The dilemma for me now is whether I have another try, knowing what to look out for and possibly pricking the bubbles out with a scalpel blade. The alternative (which I'm currently favouring) is to just leave it and not risk an accident with the paintwork.

I'm tending to favour the second option at the moment...
Cheers
Flymo
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
www.5522models.co.uk

Re: Another Round...

Postby 45609 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:21 pm

Hi Paul,

You could try discs of clear acetate. Like the stuff OHP view foils (remember them) were made from. Cut the discs out using a paper hole punch and attach with a couple of small dabs of PVA on a cocktail stick at the edge. When that is set I usually paint the glazing both sides with a couple of coats of Johnsons Klear or equivalent.

Cheers....Morgan

David B

Postby David B » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:21 am

I have used Microglaze successfully and had no problems with bubbles. How old is your 'glazing solution'?

stevecarr

Postby stevecarr » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:12 am

It's a new one on me. It must be down to age.

Regards

Steve

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:42 pm

stevecarr wrote:It's a new one on me. It must be down to age.

Thanks Steve, David. That's my suspicion as well. Although this is the first time that the bottle has ever been opened, it has been standing for a while. Note to self: finish loco kits more frequently!

Given that it is pretty useless as it is, then I think that in an evening or two I'll have a look at it and see what the formulation is, in order to be able to let it down a bit.

In the meantime, back to using Gare de Nord's wifi whilst Eurostar decide if they can make the trains run on time :-(

Cheers
Flymo
www.5522models.co.uk

Paul Willis
Forum Team

What to choose?

Postby Paul Willis » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:14 pm

Having seen that the Missenden Modelling Weekends have had a very nice write-up in a recent (current?) issue of the Railway Modeller, then realisation struck me over the weekend that I had better sort out a booking.

For me, a great deal of the attraction is being able to stay "on campus" and therefore to wield a soldering iron late at night or early in the morning. The ability to retire to the bar, fetch a pint of real ale, and then carrying on modelling in convivial company [1] is a lovely part of the atmosphere.

So this morning, I found my Round Tuit and my credit card, and I made a booking for the Autumn Weekend which runs over the last weekend in October. So that's me sorted for accommodation. The challenge now is what to do...

Usually, as you may have seen from past postings, I join the 4mm locomotives group and spend the weekend happily soldering. I've done a weekend in the past waving a brushful of turps around with Dirty Tim, and that was good fun. But I fancy something different.

There is a course on CAD design for 3D printing, which is very tempting. However as I am nicely getting to grips with 2D design for my own etches and 5522 instruction sheets, I'm not sure that I want to do this. More to the point, spending all my working week in front of a computer means that I don't really want to spend a modelling weekend doing that as well!

I don't *do* electronics - that's not my idea of fun. Again, I think that it's that IT/thinking type thing that doesn't seem to be relaxation. Another alternative is going back for yet more 4mm loco building. Perhaps making progress on my Buckjumper? It has been sadly neglected since the Missenden Spring Course.

However I'm starting to be very tempted by Barry Norman's scenic sessions. Now who do I know that can produce some baseboards for me???

Oh, and for anyone that is thinking of going, but is wavering: http://www.missendenrailwaymodellers.org.uk/autumn.html You won't regret it!

Cheers
Flymo

[1] Usually with a man that has cooows on his layout ;-)
www.5522models.co.uk

Tim Horn

Postby Tim Horn » Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:23 pm

Paul, I've just updated Templot and found that you can now export the trackwork as a .DXF file, making the job nice and easy for baseboard construction! ;)

How about my Scenic Modular (P4) baseboard system, a little bit at a time . . . :D

3ft 5ins radius track curve 6mm MDF Lite Pack TJH01 30th July 2014 Copyright Tim Horn.jpg

Cheers
Tim

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:11 pm

Tim Horn wrote:Paul, I've just updated Templot and found that you can now export the trackwork as a .DXF file, making the job nice and easy for baseboard construction! ;)

Oh now that is very neat indeed!

Double-sided sellotape down the centre-line, and no need to transfer the track anywhere at all...

I can see me forgetting to put the tie-bars in place at an appropriate time though, and having a beggar's muddle trying to sort it out. So perhaps better to build pointwork on the workbench, and only use the lasered plan for alignment of straight track and positioning of the completed sections as units.

I'll be in touch...
Cheers
Flymo
www.5522models.co.uk

MarkS

Postby MarkS » Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:50 pm

Tim, very interesting indeed, I struggle with laying out a proper curve... but... Would there not be super-elevation and raised track bed?
Is it worth while to laser cut just the track bed (single and/or double track widths) with the templot print on it?
I suspect laser cutting the cant would be a non starter...

Hmm, how easy is it to laser cut cork?
Cheers,

Mark.
"In the end, when all is said and done, more will have been said than done..."

Martin Wynne

Postby Martin Wynne » Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:11 pm

Tim Horn wrote:Paul, I've just updated Templot and found that you can now export the trackwork as a .DXF file

Hi Tim,

You always could export a DXF file, right back to the very first Templot release 15 years ago. :)

A more recent addition is the option to include trackbed edges. These can be a bold cutting line, or a wide band representing the ballast edge and cess:

geometry > trackbed edges > ? trackbed - help menu item.

regards,

Martin.
40+ years developing Templot. Enjoy using Templot? Join Templot Club. Be a Templot supporter.

Paul Willis
Forum Team

A handy new gadget...

Postby Paul Willis » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:50 am

And a few words on a silence...

Over the last few months, it's not that I haven't been doing any modelling. It's simply that it's not been very interesting to write about. It's been things like repairing brakegear on wagons, finishing off some weathering, or fixing some couplings. There's been very little that actually constitutes a "project" for me.

That said, looking back at it I've probably achieved more than I realise. Talking with people whilst manning the Scalefour Society stand at Warley last weekend made me realise how much can be shown to help and encourage them. Not least to the nine new Society members that we welcomed, all of whom were enthusiastic about finescale modelling and what they could do.

So I've resolved to find the time to talk a little more about the modelling that I am doing. Of course, the other challenge is finding the time for the modelling itself! However doing ten minutes of soldering at six in the morning before leaving for work is actually quite rewarding, as long as I've had half a mug of coffee first.

Whilst I was at Warley last weekend, I was able to wander around and see a little bit of the show itself. There were some lovely layouts, and I'm sure that those are being described at length in other places. However to me it is even more interesting to see what are the new products on the market.

One that I came across was a soft, heat-proof soldering mat. The idea is that it is soft enough to take a pin, and therefore you can fix down whatever you are trying to solder to avoid having to chase it around whilst waving a small component and a hot soldering iron. This came in very useful this morning when I tried soldering some strengthening ribs onto a 5522 coach bogie. I had been doing the usual cursing of needing a third hand to hold everything together when I remembered the mat. A few brass lace pins later and it looked like this:

Solder mat 1.JPG

Job done swiftly and easily. An absolute revelation.

Sometimes you wonder whether a gadget is worth the money. The best thing about this was that it cost me less than the price of a pint of beer. It was £3.75 to be precise.

I don't know how long it will last before wear and tear takes its toll, but at that price I can see me stocking up with a couple more when I have the chance. If you'd like to do the same, this is where it came from:

Solder mat 2.JPG

Back for more modelling soon...

Cheers
Flymo
www.5522models.co.uk

DougN

Postby DougN » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:23 am

That looks like a great product Flymo.... It would save the various burnt bits of wood I have...or the burnt fingers. I agree that even the mundane things we all get up too for others can be rather interesting. I have a local modeller who rather liked a cross over I had built using ply and rivet as 2 B6L's as he has 2B9R's to build from P4 Track co. I have to print out the templot drawings fro him. At the same time we were discussing this another member liked the ideas of some templates in OO SF which again I will have to draw up and print out for him! it will no doubt get me back onto Templot for a while .... but this is getting back on topic it has got them thinking about what they are doing and encouraging me to do more.

Umm if I can just get rid of this work thing... taking up way to many hours.
Doug
Still not doing enough modelling

Simon Glidewell

Postby Simon Glidewell » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:31 am

An interesting device Paul. On a similar theme has anyone come across a product known as "solder sucker"? I have some made by a German company; it resembles metal braid and when heated on top a blob of existing solder with a soldering iron it literally sucks up the solder into the braid leaving a completely clean and neat piece of soldering! It's like magic. Not cheap though.

John Bateson

Postby John Bateson » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:37 am

Simon,
More commonly known as solder braid - available from RS, Farnell, Maplins etc.
Beware of the Chinese versions, these are a lot cheaper but will need dipping in flux to get them started.
John
Slaving away still on GCR stuff ...

David B

Postby David B » Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:28 pm

John Bateson wrote:Beware of the Chinese versions, these are a lot cheaper but will need dipping in flux to get them started.

I must have some of this because I can never get the damned stuff to work.

DougN

Postby DougN » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:07 pm

The little bit of braid that I have used needed the red label flux to get the solder to wick away. Seems to work well in that situation. However I have never used it in serious anger with a kit since a local 7mm modeller suggested a steel wire brush from the local Jeweler tool supplier.... it takes the solder away nicely and polishes the brass... all ready for my cleaning technique for paint.

I find the fine wire brush will remove the 180degree solder from the fine etched lines which are always difficult to clean any other way
Doug

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:34 am

DougN wrote:That looks like a great product Flymo.... It would save the various burnt bits of wood I have...or the burnt fingers. I agree that even the mundane things we all get up too for others can be rather interesting. ...

Umm if I can just get rid of this work thing... taking up way to many hours.

I know what you mean about the work thing... Still, it gives me a discipline (and the money for toys!) and means that I can do a little bit in the mornings. Today was soldering four axleboxes on to the bogie halves. I managed to do that quite successfully with not a single melted one and one half a cup of coffee drunk!

I see what you mean about the mundane. I often find people's posts interesting where it is just about the way that they have done something. The knowledge may not be relevant then, but is stored away somewhere for the future.

We'll see how I crack on with these bogies over the weekend. I also have skirting boards to strip, and sanding of walls to do!

Cheers
Flymo
www.5522models.co.uk

John Bateson

Postby John Bateson » Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:44 am

Doug,
I would be a little reluctant to use even a fine 'steel' brush on brass, such as this (http://www.proopsbrothers.com/wire-brush-file-card-cleaner-ideal-for--jewellery-modelling-engineering-and-woodworking-1646-p.asp) too many scratches on the softer metal. Cooksons Gold over here do a range of brass brushes (http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery-To ... rdsearch=y) which would be gentler.
Neither of these will handle the finer parts in my view, so I resort to the fibre glass brush or solder braid. With the caveat that the braid should be wetted with flux either in production, or on the workbench for the cheaper stuff, it should be noted that more heat will be needed than in soldering the part in the first place, white metal parts and 3D printed parts will therefore melt (how do I know?).
Small parts should be clipped firmly in place before using the braid.

And I use Nealetin, a liquid solder, which leaves a lot less solder hanging around where it is not wanted, from Hobby Holidays near Doncaster (http://www.hobbyholidays.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=Solderpaint) ...

Flymo,
I tried to trace this Pinnacle Soldering Mat but could not find it on their web site. Looks useful and perhaps better than the balsa sheets I normally use.

John
Slaving away still on GCR stuff ...

shipbadger

Postby shipbadger » Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:20 pm

Flymo/John,

I found the website for the sellers of the soldering mat but it is still a 'work in progress' and one of the sections which is incomplete is the tools section which includes the items for working on etched brass. Shame as they would have made a sale :(

Tony Comber

LesGros

Postby LesGros » Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:28 pm

Flymo,
Thanks for posting about this useful mat. I too looked at the Pinnacle website, which is indeed still under construction. In response to an email, I received this reply from Bruce Heideman.
Hi Les,
Thanks very much for your interest. The cost of a mat is £3.75 & P&P is £1.00. I hope to get at least a product listing up on the site next week although product photography may have to wait until I return from the London Plastic Modelling Show on the 7th. I can process orders if any of your members would like to purchase the mats I can send people a PayPal Invoice, all I need is their e-mail address.
Regards,

Bruce Heideman
Pinnacle Modelling Supplies
185 Old Birmingham Road
Marlbrook, Bromsgrove B60 1DQ
Tel: 0121 445-2741 – Fax: 0121 345-0836
http://www.model-supplies.org.uk

So all it takes is an email to place an order :thumb
LesG

The man who never made a mistake
never made anything useful

DougN

Postby DougN » Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:26 pm

Sorry John, I will have to get a photo. The brushes are for use in a dremel. "Belotti" German-Made Hand Piece WHEEL: STEEL WIRE / 2.35mm shaft Each $3.50 $3.85AUD. These are from koodak's here in melbourne. http://www.koodak.com.au/product.php?c2ID=376 The are down the bottom. Like you I was skeptical the first time.... But once I perfected the pressure and technic they have made a clean up very easy. Unfortunately the price has gone up some what from a couple of years ago they were only $1 ea. a local group member purchases them for me as I don't get into the city very often during business hours... And then it is generally working!
Doug

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Rivet or weld?

Postby Paul Willis » Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:17 pm

In real life I can just about manage to wield a (pop) riveter with dexterity, but the last time that I tried my hand at welding, the results looked just like something that had recently passed through one of the local pigeons. It didn't do much for the door of my Mini either, which fell off shortly afterwards...

Back with modelling, I've been a little more successful in completing the test builds of the 5522 LMS coach bogies.

I initially made up the riveted version, using it as the test bed to write the instructions for the kit.

Rivet.JPG

Satisfied with that, I have just finished building the welded variant, which can be made from the same kit. The basic differences are to not add a few rivets here, and to put in some welded ribs there...

Weld.JPG

I'm very pleased with both of the bogies. I now need to cast a much larger stock of the axleboxes and bolsters, and think about how best to pack them.

Many thanks to Keith Norgrove for also doing a test build based on my first draft of the instructions, and making many useful suggestions on how to improve them. Any errors or ambiguities that remain are entirely down to me.

Now to think about a test build of an underframe for them to sit beneath...

Cheers

Flymo
www.5522models.co.uk

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Deliberate vandalism...

Postby Paul Willis » Sun Dec 07, 2014 6:13 pm

IMG_8396.JPG

That's what I felt like after adding an etched brass brake lever to this Ratio kit.

Not because it was difficult to make - in fact, nothing could have been simpler. But the act of replacing the plastic version that had been provided in the kit, and had at some point lost the handle at the end showed me just how easy it was to do, and what an improvement in looks it gave.

That's why I'm musing whether a little "accident" shouldn't befall the currently intact one that is still on the other side of the wagon...

Probably not this time, but I do know that in all new builds of LNWR wagons, I'll be using these etched brass replacements. It's a component from 51L, by the way, and well worth the pennies to keep a few in stock.

Later tonight I may have chance to give it a little self-etch primer and later in the week a waft of colour and weathering...

Cheers
Flymo
www.5522models.co.uk

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Sigh...

Postby Paul Willis » Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:54 pm

I can be so stupid at times. Particularly first thing in the morning before having sufficient coffee...

Important lesson #237.

When doing a batch build of Sprat & Winkle couplings to fasten to a set of five LNWR wagons, pay very careful attention to the tubes in your box of Araldite.

Because if you are careful, you won't accidentally mix the five-minute resin with the 24 hour *resin*. If I'd managed to mix the wrong resin with the wrong hardener, it wouldn't be as bad as this. I'm sure that something would have stuck. As it was, having left them like this upside down all day to set...

IMG_8397.JPG

...then it wouldn't be the case that when I picked the first one up and turned it the right way up, the coupling fell off in a sticky mess!

Oh well, back to the mixing spoon and the workbench.

Happy Christmas!
Flymo
www.5522models.co.uk

Return to “Paul Willis”