Beer and Buckjumpers

David Knight

Re: Beer and Buckjumpers

Postby David Knight » Sun Feb 20, 2022 2:55 pm

Will L wrote:
David Knight wrote:I discovered a cheap trick when trying to make sure my stirrer didn’t spray me and the room. Take the core from a finished roll of toilet paper and place it over the tin. Grip the tin at the bottom of the tube. Problem solved.

HTH,

David

Personally I always found not taking the stirrer (sort of L shaped wire in a mini drill) out of the paint before it stops turning was sufficient. But then I might like living dangerously!

Good point Will, something I also try to do but Murthy’s law is also a factor and I always thought Murphy was an optimist. Belt, braces, and a bit of string for me.

Cheers,

David

steve howe

Postby steve howe » Sun Feb 20, 2022 5:28 pm

North Somerset eh? nice and handy for Railwells....! totally concur with the takeaway plastic boxes, I use loads of them, the little pots they put chilli sauce in are really handy too - problem is, if you don't label the lids all sorts of unfinished jobs go unnoticed!

Steve

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Sun Feb 20, 2022 6:12 pm

David Knight wrote:I discovered a cheap trick when trying to make sure my stirrer didn’t spray me and the room. Take the core from a finished roll of toilet paper and place it over the tin. Grip the tin at the bottom of the tube. Problem solved.

Thanks David - that's an excellent tip. I'll give it a try after we're next <ahem> "inconvenienced".

I may try cutting the tube down in length so that I can see better, and still catch any overspray. It's those moments when you don't quite coincide the lifting of the spinner and the pressing of the button.

Cheers
Paul
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Sun Feb 20, 2022 6:24 pm

steve howe wrote:North Somerset eh? nice and handy for Railwells....! totally concur with the takeaway plastic boxes, I use loads of them, the little pots they put chilli sauce in are really handy too - problem is, if you don't label the lids all sorts of unfinished jobs go unnoticed!

Wells is about 30 minutes away, depending on the number of tractors that you meet on the lanes... Or cyclists. We appear to be in the middle of a very popular area for MAMILs.

For the sort of stuff that you put in those small chilli pots, I tend to use small snap-lock plastic bags. My current T26 build has around ten of them in the box - one for motor and gears, one for coupling rods, one for cab details, etc, etc. They cost a fraction of pence each to buy new from eBay, or I even reuse the ones that things like AG or MJT components arrive in.

Whilst I'm working, I usually have a Patum Peperium pot on the go. Not only are they great for keeping safe all those bits that you've just cut from the etch, they have a curved interior so it is really easy to fish bits out with a finger! No corners for them to hide in...

IMG_1442.JPG

IMG_1443.JPG

Cheers
Paul
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
www.5522models.co.uk

Phil O

Postby Phil O » Sun Feb 20, 2022 10:18 pm

For stirring paint, I stick the pot, in the lathe, with the top against the chuck. Switch it on and make a brew, reverse the direction of rotation and then drink said brew. Only works if you're fortunate enough to have access to a lathe, though.

Cheers
Phil

MarkS

Postby MarkS » Mon Feb 21, 2022 3:03 am

I built a holder for the paint tin or bottle that fits onto my jig saw, turn on for 30 seconds for enamel, perhaps 31 seconds for acrylic...
For red vallejo, I added a ball bearing to really mix the pigment.
The idea came from the aircraft modelling folks.
Works a treat, the lids are closed tight so no spillage. (Use duct tape if you are still nervous.)
We had a fellow modeller here in the Southern Ontario area that got the mixer appendage stuck in the Humbrol paint tin when using a dremel to spin the "mixer". The result was a ring of paint on 4 walls, with a partial cutout of human proportions on one wall.
Cheers,

Mark.
"In the end, when all is said and done, more will have been said than done..."

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Mon Feb 21, 2022 7:38 am

Phil O wrote:For stirring paint, I stick the pot, in the lathe, with the top against the chuck. Switch it on and make a brew, reverse the direction of rotation and then drink said brew. Only works if you're fortunate enough to have access to a lathe, though.

EditorTim keeps trying to convince me that I need a lathe. I'm not sure that this is sufficient justification though!

Cheers,
Paul
www.5522models.co.uk

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Mon Feb 21, 2022 7:44 am

MarkS wrote:I built a holder for the paint tin or bottle that fits onto my jig saw, turn on for 30 seconds for enamel, perhaps 31 seconds for acrylic...
For red vallejo, I added a ball bearing to really mix the pigment.
The idea came from the aircraft modelling folks.
Works a treat, the lids are closed tight so no spillage. (Use duct tape if you are still nervous.)
We had a fellow modeller here in the Southern Ontario area that got the mixer appendage stuck in the Humbrol paint tin when using a dremel to spin the "mixer". The result was a ring of paint on 4 walls, with a partial cutout of human proportions on one wall.

Your friend's experience is what I fear one day :-)

There are a variety of devices available for the nail polish community, as well as modellers. A big selling point is avoiding carpal tunnel syndrome. I started getting it by using a mouse for work, so there you go - you don't need an office job to get this form of RST. I was struck by this one: https://www.scratchmagazine.co.uk/news/introducing-imix-the-hands-free-colour-mixing-tool-for-gel-polish-nail-lacquer/

Not only is it possible to change the colour of the base, it contains a "miXer" and a "miXtractor" (their capitalisation. Which reading between the lines appears to be a ball bearing and a magnet! Some people will believe anything :-)

Cheers
Paul
www.5522models.co.uk

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Mon Feb 21, 2022 8:37 am

Interesting thoughts on stirring paint, some of which seem expensive in more ways then one. I have some short lengths of rail that I use for stirring paint which get used repeatedly so every so often I clean off the dried paint. Very cheap, simple and effective. I must be doing something wrong. :(

Terry Bendall

shipbadger

Postby shipbadger » Mon Feb 21, 2022 8:46 am

You are not the only one who uses an 'economy' stirrer Terry. Mine did duty as the stick for a bonfire night sparkler before re-purposing.

Tony Comber

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Mon Feb 21, 2022 9:09 am

Paul Willis wrote:EditorTim keeps trying to convince me that I need a lathe.

No one needs a lathe to be successful in their model making. The time to think about getting a lathe is when you have jobs to do that cannot be done any other way. There are lots of examples on here of excellent work done by people without a lathe and it is often possible to improvise using methods such as a mini drill and a file, soldering different sizes of tube together or even finding a friend who does have a lathe. There are more basic things to spend your hard earnt cash on. :)

Terry Bendall

DougN

Postby DougN » Mon Feb 21, 2022 10:37 am

Can i suggest my paint stirrer it is incredibly expensive from Ikea. I purchased a "produkt" which is designed to froth milk. I modified the stirrer by cuting the stick to the depth of a humbrol tin plus 10mm in height and bent a 5mm foot to the bottom... similar to the bent nail in a drill. I find it extremely effective and has made a massive difference to mixing of paint.

Grand cost here was 2.50aud plus 2 batteries!

The giggle i have with this is i have seen a "model tools" version for 17aud! Other than being a different color it was basically the same thing. Mine however has a number of colours now as it is splashed by paint very occasionally.
Doug
Still not doing enough modelling

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Mon Feb 21, 2022 11:03 am

DougN wrote:Can i suggest my paint stirrer it is incredibly expensive from Ikea. I purchased a "produkt" which is designed to froth milk. I modified the stirrer by cuting the stick to the depth of a humbrol tin plus 10mm in height and bent a 5mm foot to the bottom... similar to the bent nail in a drill. I find it extremely effective and has made a massive difference to mixing of paint.

Grand cost here was 2.50aud plus 2 batteries!

The giggle i have with this is i have seen a "model tools" version for 17aud! Other than being a different color it was basically the same thing. Mine however has a number of colours now as it is splashed by paint very occasionally.

Hi Doug,

Yes, that would be perfect. Indeed, we already had a "cappuccino frother" in the drawer in the kitchen. I think I would have been in trouble if it went missing though, hence picking up the Badger tool.

There's a small fly in the ointment for those of us in the UK - the British stores don't seem to carry that product. Presumably, we are too heathen to be allowed frothy coffee or hot chocolate. The thing is available in the US https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/produkt-milk-frother-black-30301167/. I couldn't find it on the UK site.

There are probably plenty available through auction sites, Amazon, etc. I completely agree with you about the over-pricing of things for specific audiences. See my link to the nail polish shaker earlier today ;-)

Cheers
Paul
www.5522models.co.uk

Will L

Postby Will L » Mon Feb 21, 2022 5:43 pm

I think we can tell who does the cooking in most of the households represented here. Never saw the cook yet who needed a splash guard round their mixer, or a barista who needed one round a cup for that mater.)

Edward45

Postby Edward45 » Mon Feb 21, 2022 6:15 pm

My Mater did all of the cooking.

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Mon Feb 21, 2022 8:26 pm

Will L wrote:I think we can tell who does the cooking in most of the households represented here. Never saw the cook yet who needed a splash guard round their mixer, or a barista who needed one round a cup for that mater.)

You've clearly not seen my Facebook feed then Will ;-)

Roughly 98% of the meals cooked here are from my fair hand. Whether it was garlic mushroom tagliatelle (tonight) or stir-fry black bean chilli beef (yesterday) then I'm responsible...

Following our visit to Rome in December, I was given these two for Christmas as gifts, and I'm now starting to work my way through them...

From our favourite restaurant in Rome:

https://shop.roscioli.com/en/product/libro-roscioli-di-elisia-menduini/

From probably the best (non-Italian) Roman food writer:

https://www.waterstones.com/book/five-quarters/rachel-roddy/9781444735062

My challenge this evening is to work out what I want to cook from them tomorrow.

Cheers
Paul
www.5522models.co.uk

DougN

Postby DougN » Tue Feb 22, 2022 12:50 am

I am a little surprised that Ikea UK doesn't stock the item but I am sure that from the photos they could be available from a "pound shop" for about the same through not in the classical Black mine started as...now with a drip or 2 of brown.

I did a quick search and found this:-
https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/2256170059?iid=192531930252
So you can find them if you are looking.

It is the one thing that has changed my paint finish with the adequate mixing of the paint. As some of my paint tins are very old but as they are sealed well and then mixed well they seem to last well. The other thing I do find with this mixer is if the solids have congealed at the bottom of the tin it will cut through the lump and mix it back into solution.

I have had to pull mine apart a couple of times as the switch became iffy and all I found was a standard small 3 volt motor which is the type made in the thousands to power battery toys etc. All it had was an over length shaft and a simple mechanical switch which can go out of alignment.. reassemble and away she goes again!

In fact over the last few years it is the best tool I have purchased/made in relation to modelling. :D

Off topic I use the coffee machine to make a nice coffee.... Latte, Cappuccino, flat white, any one? (it was a nice Christmas present from the family this year!)
Doug

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Tue Feb 22, 2022 8:44 am

DougN wrote:It is the one thing that has changed my paint finish with the adequate mixing of the paint. As some of my paint tins are very old but as they are sealed well and then mixed well they seem to last well. The other thing I do find with this mixer is if the solids have congealed at the bottom of the tin it will cut through the lump and mix it back into solution.

This is the key reason that I bought my (clearly overpriced and inadequate ;-) ) Badger one. The quality of the mixed paint is well above anything easily done by hand, unless you are particularly fastidious. Like you, I have a lot of Humbrol enamels, some of which must be getting on for forty years old and initially used for painting Airfix Spitfires. However with a good whizz, they still give a perfect finish.

DougN wrote:Off topic I use the coffee machine to make a nice coffee.... Latte, Cappuccino, flat white, any one? (it was a nice Christmas present from the family this year!)

My wife gave me a Jura bean to cup machine a few years ago, and it has been our daily companion ever since. One button to press, and a delicious cup every time. Another "tool" worth its weight in gold! :-)

Cheers
Paul
www.5522models.co.uk

steve howe

Postby steve howe » Wed Feb 23, 2022 6:33 pm

DougN wrote:
I did a quick search and found this:-
https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/2256170059?iid=192531930252
So you can find them if you are looking.

Looks like a handy tool, one question - is the stirring part small enough to fit into a standard Humbrol tinlet?

Steve

DougN

Postby DougN » Thu Feb 24, 2022 2:18 am

No Steve, I cut that section off and bent the shaft into a L shape. The over all length to begin with is too long, at about the height of a mug. so I allowed mine to be longer by about 10mm than the height of a humbrol tin, plus 5mm foot on the bottom! :thumb
Doug

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Whoops!

Postby Paul Willis » Thu Dec 21, 2023 10:06 pm

It's been so long since I've done any modelling that I've forgotten that there is a finite limit on the number of pieces of rail that Xuron cutters will successfully get through...

IMG_9980.JPG

Good job that I have a spare pair tucked away somewhere that came as a freebie with my 3D printer.

Best,
Paul
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
www.5522models.co.uk

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Thu Dec 21, 2023 10:31 pm

Oops !
Mind you I found they are perfect nail clippers and cheaper than the so called "medical" ones after sseeing almost identical ones in a catalogue. My late mum's carer's refused to cut her nails, so it fell to me and me alone to look after her.
Ordsall Road (BR(E)), Forge Mill Sidings (BR(M)), Kirkcliffe Coking Plant (BR(E)), Swanage (BR (S)) and Heaby (LMS/MR). Acquired Thorneywood (GNR). Still trying to "Keep the Balance".

jon price

Re: Whoops!

Postby jon price » Thu Dec 21, 2023 10:33 pm

Paul Willis wrote:Good job that I have a spare pair tucked away somewhere that came as a freebie with my 3D printer.

I'd be surprised if they gave away rail cutters with a 3D printer though. Sprue cutters maybe :wink:
Connah's Quay Workshop threads: viewforum.php?f=125

Martin Wynne

Re: Whoops!

Postby Martin Wynne » Fri Dec 22, 2023 1:21 am

Paul Willis wrote:Good job that I have a spare pair tucked away somewhere that came as a freebie with my 3D printer.

Hi Paul,

Look at them closely. The originals are called "Xuron". The ones supplied with the 3D printer are marked "Xoron" in identical text and logo.

Martin.
40+ years developing Templot. Enjoy using Templot? Join Templot Club. Be a Templot supporter.

40C

Postby 40C » Fri Dec 22, 2023 7:44 am

Have a look for Cruz Tools guitar string cutters as a replacement.

Return to “Paul Willis”