Andy W wrote:"Fitting and fettling wipers to be balanced right is also a lot of buggering about....." that's why I started building splits. It is more faffing about at the onset, but with a bit of planning it reduces one possible cause of poor running.
Well, as far as I'm concerned, the jury is still out...
The biggest and so far only total PITA has been the shorting strips. Having known that the hole in the centre was too small (although of course that is much better than being too large) for a 1/8 axle, I took the approach of soldering them to the wheel and then sizing the hole for the axle later. That was where the problems arrived.
Whether using a reamer (initially) or a very fine rat's tail needle file (later) it was far too easy to tear the soldered joint away from the wheel of the tyre. After my first attempt at opening out the strips on the wheels, I had four out of the six of them that needed re-soldering
Having done that, and tidied everything up, I still had one join break when I pressed the wheel onto the axle.
In order to improve the join and electrical contact between the strip and the axle, I also used some of this:
I flooded the joint with a couple of coats of silver conductive paint. Unfortunately one of the things that I didn't have with me at Missenden was a multimeter so I couldn't test how successfully they worked.
However I did make very good progress on the other aspects of the chassis and by Saturday evening this was how it looked:
This was followed by fitting the coupling rods and fettling them as two sets of two axles, and ensuring that it all ran smoothly individually. Then I fitted them all and only a small amount of adjusting with a fine needle file was necessary before the chassis rolled smoothly under its own weight down a slight slope. So I'm very pleased.
Next task is to test for electrical continuity (or lack thereof) and fit some wires from the frames to the motor to see if it all works!