Airfix 48xx with High Level Kits chassis

Flymo748

Re: Airfix 48xx with High Level Kits chassis

Postby Flymo748 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:26 pm

steve howe wrote:
Flymo748 wrote:So, back to the preparation of the body, and I'm still going through the removal of moulded detail.

Next off were the four moulded lifting rings from the top of the side tanks. I used a miniature chisel for these - a new tool that I bought recently as an experiment. It worked well, but I think I chose the wrong tip shape for this job. It wasn't quite as easy as it could have been.

On the other hand, it did the trick as it would have been difficult getting a scalpel blade in there.
l

Iain Rice mentions a leatherworker's tool for this job, as they are razor sharp, I've yet to find one but will have a look online.

Steve

Steve,

Whilst I was buying some weathering washes and powders online, I had a skeg around this website: https://www.gforcemodels.co.uk

And I bought one of these:

IMG_6309.JPG

Which has a blade like this:

IMG_6314.JPG

IMG_6312.JPG

It's razor sharp, and I chose that shape because I thought it would be useful to manoeuvre around rivets. As it turns out, it does that well, but for plain vanilla carving like this, I would have been better off with something like this: https://www.gforcemodels.co.uk/trumpeter-tools-model-chisel-f3-1893-p.asp

The chisel lives in its little box in my toolbox, and it used more often than I anticipated. I'd recommend one, and G-Force Models as well. No connection, etc...

Cheers
Paul
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

dclift

Postby dclift » Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:00 am

Being a cheapskate, I made up the tools shown below from broken hacksaw blades. The business ends can be ground or honed to a razor sharp edge. I am amazed how often I use them. I am certain that this is not an original idea of mine. I probably got it from from someone on the Forum.
Attachments
Chisels.jpg
David Clift.

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:11 am

I am a cheapskate like David! I made a little chisel from the broken end of a square needle file and it has been one of my most useful tools. I have made scrapers and the like from old files which I use for clearing away excess solder etc.

I am intrigued by the shape of your chisel, Paul, any idea why it’s that way?

Philip

Will L

Postby Will L » Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:17 am

My favourite tool is a scrawker with a chisel end ground out of a Xacto craft knife blade. It still has a remaining bit knife edge too. I don't break many (any) hacksaw blades and my ground knife blade still fits the Xacto handle.

Flymo748

Postby Flymo748 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:10 am

So, after the carving off, sanding down, and various other removals of details, the Airfix body was looking in pretty poor shape, but in a good place to start the improvement work. Here is is at pretty much the end of the stripping down process (a phrase that came back to haunt me).

IMG_6396.JPG

IMG_6397.JPG

You'll see that I've used the fibreglass brush to knock back some of the printed lining as well. It's not raised, or prominent, but I felt that it would be better treated like this in case of any future impact on painting,

One of the elements that had been removed were the cab side handrails. These were fairly chunky, and had left much larger holes than would be needed for the replacement Alan Gibson handrail knobs. So what I did was fill the holes that were left behind with Squadron plastic filler - any similar filler would do just as well.

And in what is for me a remarkable act of foresight, I drilled pilot holes in the centre of the filler before painting over them and losing sight of where they were located.

IMG_6412.JPG

Most of the other moulded-on handrails terminated in raised dimples, so it was easy to identify where the new ones should go, and drill accordingly.

IMG_6413.JPG

This took me to the next stage of seeing just what all this carving about work had produced.

Cheers
Paul
www.5522models.co.uk

bécasse

Postby bécasse » Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:51 am

I have one that looks just like that, although it is matched with a Perseverance chassis with full handmade auto-gear added. The trouble is that it has looked just like that for 30 plus years!

Enigma

Postby Enigma » Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:21 pm

I promised some photos of my effort at the chassis etc. and here they are. I hope they're of use to you but of course you don't have to copy me!

First my method of attaching pickups for the rear drivers and trailing wheels. I attached (ie glued) a shortened copperclad sleeper across the top of the chassis over the rear sandbox 'spacer' and soldered a length of very small section U-shape brass channel with (I think) 0.33mm NS wire bearing on the tops of the wheels.

14xx rear pickups.A.jpg
14xx rear pickups.A.jpg (381.83 KiB) Viewed 142 times

Front pickups are on the underside as there was no room on top and I didn't want to use the sprung ones suggested by Chris. Again 0.33mm NS wire wound into a small coil and soldered to a length of CC sleeper attached to the chassis under the front brake pull member.

14xx front pickups.1.A.jpg
14xx front pickups.1.A.jpg (482.87 KiB) Viewed 142 times

14xx front pickups.2.A.jpg
14xx front pickups.2.A.jpg (500.37 KiB) Viewed 142 times

Next - body fixing. When I revisited the loco to take the photos I realised that I had attached the body to the chassis using an 8BA screw attached to the cab floor near the firebox passing through a hole in the floor and to which an 8BA nut was screwed from below. All this was positioned immediately under the brakegear and was very difficult to access. I have therefore re-engineered (!) this to a more accessible position by soldering a piece of thickish brass across the rear of the chassis uner the bunker, drilling it 2mm and used a 2mm self-tapper into the lead weight I have stuck into the inside of the bunker. Much easier to access! Why I didn't do this in the first place I have no idea! (Please note that these photos are slightly out of order as for some reason I hit 'Submit' rather than 'Preview' whilst writing this part of the post :? )
Attachments
14xx underside of body.A.jpg
14xx underside of body.A.jpg (402.99 KiB) Viewed 142 times
14xx new rear fixing.2.A.jpg
14xx new rear fixing.2.A.jpg (442.3 KiB) Viewed 142 times
14xx new rear fixing.1.A.jpg
14xx new rear fixing.1.A.jpg (373.09 KiB) Viewed 142 times

Enigma

Postby Enigma » Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:39 pm

Forgot to add a photo of the whole loco so here it is.

14xx Built.1.A.jpg
14xx Built.1.A.jpg (366.42 KiB) Viewed 136 times

14xx Built.2.A.jpg
14xx Built.2.A.jpg (457.88 KiB) Viewed 135 times

The eagle eyed will notice that I still have to fit a load of coal, sand pipes and a better set of rear lamp brackets but as it will probably only run chimney first with an auto-trailer I'm not to bothered about these. BTW, I don't remember having any problem with the cabside handrail knobs and the ones I used fitted into the Airfix holes. The missing underside of the boiler is a section of (I think) some tube of throat pastels or similar. Paintwork is a blast of satin black rattle can slightly 'distressed' and it is numbered after an 84J Croes Newydd loco that I often saw as a lad. Oh, and the cab/roof handrail appears to be missing. Can't remember wether I made this and it has fallen off or I never made it at all!

Flymo748

Postby Flymo748 » Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:36 am

bécasse wrote:I have one that looks just like that, although it is matched with a Perseverance chassis with full handmade auto-gear added. The trouble is that it has looked just like that for 30 plus years!

Come on then! this is the incentive to get it finished ;-)

I'll be continuing to post instalments as I go along, and given the sporadic* nature of my modelling, hopefully at a pace that anyone could keep up with.

Come and join the 48xx crowd!

Cheers
paul

* Other railway-related distractions at the moment include writing an Access database to record what I've actually done to models (can anyone remember what paint colour they used at a ten-year distance?), designing a couple of etches for 5522, restoring number of wagons that I previously built and have suffered at the hands of time, and planning a layout...
www.5522models.co.uk

Flymo748

Postby Flymo748 » Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:43 am

Enigma wrote:I promised some photos of my effort at the chassis etc. and here they are. I hope they're of use to you but of course you don't have to copy me!

Thanks Paul - that is helpful to see. Particularly the body-fixing element.

Give that the original Airfix fitting was by a long screw down the chimney and through the smokebox, it doesn't work well on pretty much any form of re-chassis - High Level, scratch-built, whatever...

So it seems to be the area that there is greatest variety in solutions. It looks like you use a tab arrangement to secure the front end of the chassis?

I will fully admit that I have no idea on how to solve this when I reach that stage!

Cheers
Paul
www.5522models.co.uk

Return to “Flymo748”