Boscarne Junction

Tell us about your layout, where you put it, how you built it, how you operate it.
ginger_giant

Re: Boscarne Junction

Postby ginger_giant » Tue Feb 14, 2023 5:47 pm

I take your point Terry that the simpler is better in the case of cassettes.

Shunting a 12 wagon rake of wagons over the level crossing there would be approximately 7 wagons plus loco going off scene. I may well start with a standard FY board at this end to see how I feel operating the layout at home. This would give me more time to either develop the scenic FY idea for home use or just build an extra scenic board to add between the level crossing and FY for exhibiting.

For through layouts, one solution is to have removable loads in open wagons so a freight train can work full in one direction and work back later empty.

It's the clay wagon that cause me problems. As the tarpaulins are a touch fragile I'm reluctant to continuously take them off then put them multiple times during an exhibition. I'm trying to discover when clay wagons stopped travelling via Wadebridge along the North Cornwall Line. If this was still happening in late 1950s I'll need track running around the back to move wagons between the FYs. Other open wagons with loads that can be removed will be built to be removable. I already have some 16ton minerals with removable loads but feel they need improving.

Further thoughts...I may build twins of other opens which have fixed loads. This would allow me to alternate loaded and empty wagons within goods trains end to end. e.g. a conflat with a container within a train would travel from Wadebridge to Bodmin North. At Bodmin North I'd have a train with an empty conflat which would return. Then this would happen in reverse.

ginger_giant

Postby ginger_giant » Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:31 pm

My latest incarnation for Boscarne Junction.

Boscarne Junction v5_2 Fiddle Yards.jpg

Just a couple of minor alterations, one being to shift the whole track plane about 3" to the right. I was hoping to add this extra 3" to the scenic section left of the level crossing but decided to give the 3" to the FY instead. The other minor alteration is on the right where I've brought more of the Bodmin North line into the scenic area. I may be able to bring slightly more of this line into view by twisting the baseboard joints to the FY a little more. One other alteration to the previous plan is with the baseboard configurations.

I'm now going to stop messing with the track plan until the "Man Cave" is emptied of furniture and I can confirm the exact dimensions I have to play with. A full size track plan can then be printed and assessed when laid out on the floor..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bécasse

Postby bécasse » Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:06 pm

The SRS signalling diagram is only correct for the LSWR period post-1914 and the early SR period up to the early 1930s. I am not quite sure when the Southern made changes but as they involved changing the ground signals (which probably had been a mixture of drop-flaps and miniature semaphores) to Westinghouse discs, moving a number of them at the same time, and fixing the distant signals, a date between 1931 and 1934 is most likely. The signalling extant in the 1960s (and almost certainly since the 1930s) is shown on the diagrams below which have been created from the information on the DE Exeter linens of which I have dye-line prints. These were originally drawn new in 1914 to incorporate the signalling developments that resulted from the laying in of siding no.2 and were then updated to include all later alterations. I am not sure when track circuit A replaced locking bars in the facing point complex by the box but, given that the LSWR was already a significant user of track circuits and that an additional point was laid in in 1914, it could well date from that year, but it could equally well be a later alteration (but certainly there by 1960). Space considerations mean that my drawings are not exact copies of the originals but I have tried to follow the detailed style of the originals, hence the elaborate signals and the miniature semaphore ground signals. The drawing is repeated for the signal box and each of the two ground frames so that the complex interaction between them can be more readily understood. The signalling arrangements were unusual, for example one ground disc (19/20) worked by two separate levers and further slotted on the ground by two others, and the locked point on the Wenford goods line.

I will provide the locking tables, which give essential clues as to how the whole thing worked, in due course.

boscarnejunction.jpg

I also have measurements, taken in 1966, for Boscarne Junction Ground frame box which I will create a drawing for and also post in due course.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by bécasse on Fri Feb 24, 2023 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ginger_giant

Postby ginger_giant » Thu Feb 16, 2023 12:12 pm

Thank you for the diagrams David signalling is a new topic for me so as much information/explanation is gratefully received.
I will provide the locking tables, which give essential clues as to how the whole thing worked, in due course.

That would help tremendously, whether I'm able to implement full locking is another matter but is is something I'd like to aim for.
I also have measurements, taken in 1966, for Boscarne Junction Ground frame box which I will create a drawing for and also post in due course.

Because I've been musing over Boscarne for some considerable time I purchased Kernow's Ground Frame Box and Signal Box buildings some time ago. It will be interesting to see how accurate these models are and whether I'll need to replace them.

The distances from Signal Box to signals does show I've had to removed approximately about 50 yds from the exchange sidings.

bécasse

Postby bécasse » Fri Feb 24, 2023 1:39 pm

Photos from my collection of the Boscarne Junction area:

BoscarneJunctionRNJ.jpg

photo: R N Joanes 07/09/1961

BoscarneJunctionDNJ.jpg

photo: D N Joanes 07/09/1961

BoscarneJunctionUK.jpg

photographer and date unknown

BoscarneJunctionRTHP5.jpg

BoscarneJunctionRTHP6.jpg

BoscarneJunctionRTHP4.jpg

BoscarneJunctionRTHP3.jpg

BoscarneJunctionRTHP1.jpg

BoscarneJunctionRTHP2.jpg

photos: the late R.T.H.Platt 1966

More signalling information to follow.

steve howe

Postby steve howe » Fri Feb 24, 2023 2:06 pm

Great to see those pics of Boscarne, I hadn't seen them before. Looking forward to seeing this project progress - when can we book it for our next show at Pool? :D ;)
2023 poster copy.jpg

Steve

ginger_giant

Postby ginger_giant » Sat Feb 25, 2023 9:47 am

Many thanks for those photos becasse. I've only one in my collection so much appreciated especially the third one. It shows a much better view of the catch point at the Bodmin End of the exchange siding than the one in my collection. The shots of the signals will also be extremely useful.

If it's OK I'll download them and add them to my collection.

bécasse

Postby bécasse » Mon Mar 06, 2023 1:57 pm

Signalling at Boscarne Junction.

I have now copied the locking tables for Boscarne Junction signal box and Boscarne Ground Frame and created one for Dunmere Junction Ground Frame (the diagram I have is a more recent replacement drawn by the WR signal engineers at Reading and which, therefore, does not include the locking table). This produced one real surprise, the only way that the fpl on the point leading off the Wenford Line made any sense was if it bolted that point when it lay for the trap siding; It's something I have never seen done before but, in the very peculiar arrangement of the signalling in the Boscarne area, it does make sense, not least because its guarantees that the Wenford train was well clear of the point when it was locked into the branch to Wenford so that the tablet could be returned (on foot) to Boscarne Junction signal box with both Ground Frames locked normal. This did require one very minor modification to the diagram I had already produced. The dyeline prints I have show ghosts of the previous wording on the parent linens and I have included these ghosts where they were legible. Given that there was no level crossing gate wheel, I have assumed that the relevant lever in the signal box released an Annett's Key to enable the gates to be unlocked and opened for road traffic.

I have also had a go at reproducing the wording on the lever plates for the box and two ground frames. Normally the "description" and "released by" columns in the locking table would provide the relevant wording although the signwriter sometimes did his "own thing" and I had to use intelligent guesswork the wording for Dunmere Junction anyway (although I knew what each lever did). I have also indicated whether a lever worked rods or wires and, in the case of Boscarne Ground Frame, whether the connection exited the front or rear of the box, a peculiarity of that particular GF box which also, unusually, had a window in the rear wall.

Finally there is a 4mm scale drawing of Boscarne Ground Frame drawn up using the measurements I took all but 57 years ago! It brought back a few memories.

I have included readily downloadable pdfs as well.

boscarnejunction.jpg

boscarnejunctionleverplates.jpg

BoscarneJunctionSBLocking.jpg

BoscarneJunctionGFLocking.jpg

boscarnegroundframedrawing.jpg

boscarnejunction.pdf

boscarnegroundframedrawing.pdf

ginger_giant

Postby ginger_giant » Tue Mar 07, 2023 2:48 pm

Signalling at Boscarne Junction.

I have now copied the locking tables for Boscarne Junction signal box and Boscarne Ground Frame and created one for Dunmere Junction Ground Frame (the diagram I have is a more recent replacement drawn by the WR signal engineers at Reading and which, therefore, does not include the locking table).

Many thanks bécasse for the diagrams and Locking table information, I really appreciate the effort you have put in. I'll spend sometime over the next few days digesting the information and thinking through how to implement it in practice.

Thanks again

Noel

Postby Noel » Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:05 pm

bécasse wrote:Given that there was no level crossing gate wheel, I have assumed that the relevant lever in the signal box released an Annett's Key to enable the gates to be unlocked and opened for road traffic.

The box is right next to the crossing, and both road and rail are single track, with single gates each side, so there seems no obvious reason to involve a key. Could the lever not directly lock and unlock the gates? It's clearly not a busy crossing.
Regards
Noel

Chris Pendlenton

Postby Chris Pendlenton » Thu Mar 09, 2023 7:42 pm

Having just caught up with this thread today, indeed having just had the pleasure of meeting Ian in a pub far removed from Boscarne, I thought I'd just chuck in a couple of thoughts on the exchanges about cassettes. Re-reading my original article in MRJ 27 setting out this new approach to fiddle yards I see it does in fact say ideally to install four foot infills perhaps rather more tentatively than their contribution warrants. This is indeed a game changer as Dave Bradwell says, yet I see many examples without them. It is child's play to rail up an LNER Pacific with eight wheel tender by simply dropping it in and wiggling it about. Similarly a train of wagons and coaches can be set up in a trice.

I note Ian's plan to beef up the dimensions but my half inch angle design was adopted to enable adjoing cassettes to mate up with standard double track spacing. I find it helpful to set up the cassette floor with cork pads to give clearance to "fork lift" tines. These items are a secure method of lifting cassettes over each other or to and from perches in the fiddle box.

The security of stock question is important and I can well understand qualms about stacking cassettes vertically in exhibition circumstances. For me at home the combination vertical fiddle box with drop down lid to form an operating deck is a practical and safe arrangement for the home layout making the most of space available. Closing the lid after each session seals the stock in a safe enclosed space and keeps dust out.
Preventing stock rolling off the end when lifting is simply achieved with foam kitchen pan scourers that as bought fit nicely between the cassette walls offering good resistance. (but make sure to pinch out a cleareance for Jackson coupler hooks if used) I now augment this with a pair of hardboard hurdles that drop into slots cut in the ends of the cassette walls. You push up the wagons onto one end and use a foam block to squeeze it up snug. These slots, if consistently located, can be used for small "spade couplers" to link a pair of cassettes longitudinally should you have the space to make up longer trains. I routinely couple two five foot cassettes together when making up EPs and the coupling enables the ensemble to be manoeuvred on the deck as a single unit without coming apart, and mated up with the exit adaptor pieces giving access to the railway.

This system has seen satisfactory service at North Shields since 1986 without any mishaps I can remember. There are always little refinements and maintenance issues that experience suggests. It's pretty vital to keep the cassette couplers in tight trim, the "rail ends" squared off and consistently to gauge, and the rails cess area free from protruding bolt heads, but otherwise it is a simple and compact system, vastly reducing stock handling. Not really "pesky" at all. Hundreds of users presumably attest to that.

Chris Pendlenton

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:58 am

Chris Pendlenton wrote: ... otherwise it is a simple and compact system, vastly reducing stock handling. Not really "pesky" at all. Hundreds of users presumably attest to that.

It is and it works very succesfully on Barry Luck's Plumpton Green, on Pulborough where the same stock and cassettes are used and my son and I use cassettes in a limited extent on Elcot Road for EMUs. The slight difference from what Chris has done is that we use 16mm aluminium angle so the double track spacing has to be increased in the lead into the fiddle yard.

Terry Bendall

ginger_giant

Postby ginger_giant » Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:32 am

I don't know how to explain the pleasure I had in meeting Chris, the two Bob's, David and Phil yesterday. I started off feeling a little out of place in such company but also felt very welcome and enjoyed listening/learning from the conversations. I will be making every effort to make other meetings, oh as a side note the ale was very quaffable too.
Re-reading my original article in MRJ 27 setting out this new approach to fiddle yards I see it does in fact say ideally to install four foot infills perhaps rather more tentatively than their contribution warrants. This is indeed a game changer as Dave Bradwell says, yet I see many examples without them. It is child's play to rail up an LNER Pacific with eight wheel tender by simply dropping it in and wiggling it about. Similarly a train of wagons and coaches can be set up in a trice.

Chris, in re-reading the comment about the four foot infills my understand now is that this is through the complete length of the cassette, is this correct?

In my previous cassette builds I only installed three V shaped re-railers between the aluminium angle, one at each end and one in the middle. These worked a treat in rerailing wagons but as you mention placing the wagons on the cassette was very much trial and error with plenty of wriggling (not of the hips).
The security of stock question is important and I can well understand qualms about stacking cassettes vertically in exhibition circumstances. For me at home the combination vertical fiddle box with drop down lid to form an operating deck is a practical and safe arrangement for the home layout making the most of space available. Closing the lid after each session seals the stock in a safe enclosed space and keeps dust out.

The quantity of rolling stock and therefore cassettes will be fairly minimal compared to other layouts. As a starting point I'm thinking of the following sets
    2 x Mausell P sets
    2 x WR B sets
    1 x 12 wagon empty clay
    1 x 12 wagon full clay
    2 x 8 wagon Bodmin North freights
    2 x 4/5 wagon Wadebridge/Wenford freights
    1 x 2/3 cattle wagons to add to a passenger
    1 x spare Maunsell/Bullied coach to strengthen a P set
    1 x spare WR coach to strengthen a B set
My starting point for locomotive cassettes are:
    1 x Beattie Well Tank
    1 x Adams O2
    1 x N Class
    2 x 57xx
    2 x 45xx
    1 x Class 22
A few other locomotives and rolling stock cassettes will no doubt follow as the layout progresses.

So at home I may go for a couple low shelves at the back for each FY to store loaded cassettes. I'm thinking these shelves would be no higher than the height of the back screen of the scenic section which will be about 15" from rail level. If the layout does become exhibitable my current thought is to have a full width shelf underneath the FY boards as somewhere to move cassettes that are overcrowding the FY.

Chris Pendlenton

Postby Chris Pendlenton » Fri Mar 10, 2023 3:26 pm

Indeed we had a pleasant time and to encouage you further Ian, we always do.
Yes the infills should be the whole length of the cassettes. If they be of plasticard you should consider pinning them down rather than spreading loads of evostik or such down as the solvent content can provovoke warping.
I forgot to mention how useful it is to have "electric buffers" that convey current to te cassettes and which cut it off when pushed off the end by an incoming train. Trains driven in from the scenic end can be left to halt themselves. Another major feature of course is that the scenic layout does not have to present itself to the fiddle area all at one common level.

Of course ths type of fiddle yard is most useful for end to end layouts in horizontally challenged locations. A big continuous circuit will probably be best served by a conventional yard, as at Drighlington and Clutton. Even here though, replacing sets of fanning turnouts at either end with cassette "traversers" might be useful even if involving a bit if entry/ exit back and forth cassette shuffling, leaving only a pair of conventional Up/Down lines for continuous through running.

I look forward to seeing this thoroughly planned bit of Cornwall taking shape within easy reach.

Chris

bécasse

Postby bécasse » Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:56 pm

Firstly a few comments on your proposed rolling stock.

Locos should perhaps include an Ivatt 2-6-2T.

Cattle wagons would have been most unusual during the period of your model, just possibly an empty one going from somewhere on the "withered arm" to the WR for spring "broccoli" traffic although even that is unlikely. I suspect that the ASLEF dispute of May 1955 killed off just about all the remaining movements of individual cattle wagons.

The principal traffic conveyed on the WR mixed trains between Bodmin Road and Wadebridge seems to have been class B tank wagons which were then worked back on the SR Bodmin North freight to the oil depot at Bodmin North. Unfortunately the only photos I have seen weren't clear enough to identify the wagons but class A tanks wouldn't have been conveyed on a mixed train. Presumably the oil was domestic heating oil.

Secondly I have worked out a possible approach to incorporating a scenic board for the Wadebridge approach, see the diagram below (which is based on your original design but still works with revised one).
BoscarneModel.jpg

ginger_giant

Postby ginger_giant » Thu Mar 16, 2023 12:51 pm

Locos should perhaps include an Ivatt 2-6-2T.

Your right an Ivatt 2-6-2T should be on the list, as does a 1366. I have a comet chassis in stock but no body as yet along with a DJH 1366 kit with all the P4 bits. Trouble is I've not built up any confidence in the chassis building department.

I've been very fortunate in having a Beattie Well Tank chassis built by Paul Vernum and a Class 03 built by Clive Impey both members of the North Lincolnshire Area Group. The Adams O2 was recently purchased from the late Jim Lord's collection of rolling stock and few years ago I was also fortunate in purchasing two class 22 converted to P4 by Alan Smith. Ultrascale drop in wheel sets are in stock for the 57xx and 45xx locos along with a Class 121. I see that Rumney Models have a N Class Chassis kit available which I'll have to get ordered. But I really do need to get to grips with a basic comet 57xx chassis kit before starting on a chassis with valve gear. I've started a couple Comet 57xx chassis's but run into problems with both.

Cattle wagons would have been most unusual during the period of your model, just possibly an empty one going from somewhere on the "withered arm" to the WR for spring "broccoli" traffic although even that is unlikely. I suspect that the ASLEF dispute of May 1955 killed off just about all the remaining movements of individual cattle wagons.

Must admit though the 1958 freight timetable has the 15:28 Wadebridge marked as conveying cattle wagons I've not seen a photograph to confirm this happened for the period I'm aiming to represent.

The principal traffic conveyed on the WR mixed trains between Bodmin Road and Wadebridge seems to have been class B tank wagons which were then worked back on the SR Bodmin North freight to the oil depot at Bodmin North. Unfortunately the only photos I have seen weren't clear enough to identify the wagons but class A tanks wouldn't have been conveyed on a mixed train. Presumably the oil was domestic heating oil.

I have three photos of Shell/BP Tank wagons being conveyed to Bodmin North both in Middleton Press- Branch Lines around Bodmin - Vic Mitchell and Keith Smith. There is also a photo in Micheal Messengers book - The Bodmin & Wadebridge Railway of a Class 22 hauling a B set, two tank wagons (I cannot identify what type) and a brake van on it's way to Wadebridge dated 18th April 1964. Which I think was before the North Cornwall lIne was closed to freight traffic. This does beg the question.., was all tank traffic always worked via the WR line to Wadebridge then back to Bodmin North?

Secondly I have worked out a possible approach to incorporating a scenic board for the Wadebridge approach, see the diagram below (which is based on your original design but still works with revised one).

That's a good idea and it might work for exhibitions by fixing the traverser scenic section so it doesn't rotate and move the FY to the end. I will give it further thought...

Many thanks again for your input David

Noel

Postby Noel » Thu Mar 16, 2023 2:27 pm

bécasse wrote:Unfortunately the only photos I have seen weren't clear enough to identify the wagons but class A tanks wouldn't have been conveyed on a mixed train. Presumably the oil was domestic heating oil.

To quote from The GWR 1936 General Appendix p177
"5 When no freight train service is available, tank wagons for inflammable liquids [i.e. Class B] or highly inflammable liquids [i.e. Class A] (loaded or empty) may be conveyed by Mixed trains.
When such wagons are so conveyed by Mixed trains they must be marshalled next inside the rear brake van, and in all cases at least one ordinary goods wagon must be placed between any vehicle containing passengers and the tank wagons
In no case must wagons conveying readily combustible traffic, such as hay or straw, be placed next the tank wagons.
The foregoing instruction modifies clause 10 of Rule 240 in so far as the conveyance of these tank wagons is concerned."

Words in italics are my additions. I don't have a wording for Rule 240.
Regards
Noel

Postby 4479 » Thu Mar 16, 2023 5:16 pm

For your 57xx you would get on much better with a High Level chassis. A far better design and whilst not sprung, it's designed for compensation with all relevant components incorporated. With all due respect to Comet kits they were designed a long time ago, were primarily designed as rigid chassis, and leave a lot to be desired even without the errors that some of them have. There's really no comparison and your new layout deserves the best that's available.

Cheers,
The Wrong Bob

Bill Newstead

Postby Bill Newstead » Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:47 am

Further to Noel's post, from the 1933 Rule Book the relevant part of Rule 240 (10) modified by the General Appendix is: "Vehicles containing explosives or highly inflammable liquids or tank wagons containing compressed liquefied gases must be marshalled as near the middle of the train as possible."

Bill

jim s-w

Postby jim s-w » Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:02 am

4479 wrote:For your 57xx you would get on much better with a High Level chassis. A far better design and whilst not sprung, it's designed for compensation with all relevant components incorporated. With all due respect to Comet kits they were designed a long time ago, were primarily designed as rigid chassis, and leave a lot to be desired even without the errors that some of them have. There's really no comparison and your new layout deserves the best that's available.

Cheers,
The Wrong Bob

Id second that - The high level chassis is great. Theres a bit about it here https://www.scalefour.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=142&t=3805&start=775
Jim Smith-Wright

http://www.p4newstreet.com

Over thinking often leads to under doing!

bécasse

Postby bécasse » Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:45 pm

Noel wrote:
bécasse wrote:Unfortunately the only photos I have seen weren't clear enough to identify the wagons but class A tanks wouldn't have been conveyed on a mixed train. Presumably the oil was domestic heating oil.

To quote from The GWR 1936 General Appendix p177
"5 When no freight train service is available, tank wagons for inflammable liquids [i.e. Class B] or highly inflammable liquids [i.e. Class A] (loaded or empty) may be conveyed by Mixed trains.
When such wagons are so conveyed by Mixed trains they must be marshalled next inside the rear brake van, and in all cases at least one ordinary goods wagon must be placed between any vehicle containing passengers and the tank wagons
In no case must wagons conveying readily combustible traffic, such as hay or straw, be placed next the tank wagons.
The foregoing instruction modifies clause 10 of Rule 240 in so far as the conveyance of these tank wagons is concerned."

Words in italics are my additions. I don't have a wording for Rule 240.

The view I have isn't desperately clear but it is obvious that the formation is loco + B-set + 2 x tank wagons + brake van. I know from another source that tank wagons were worked this way via Wadebridge to an oil terminal at Bodmin North and it would make no sense for the tank wagons to be empty. No one, I am sure would risk marshalling class A tank wagons next to the B-set but class B tank wagons loaded with domestic heating oil? Interestingly the train must presumably also have had to be remarshalled when it reversed en route at Bodmin General. Some very strange things clearly went on in that neck of the woods* so there must have been some local dispensations.

* Every evening two through passenger trains crossed during their reversal at Bodmin General and I have never seen an explanation as to how it was done. My first assumption was that they exchanged locos but that was ruled out once I realised that one was formed of WR stock and the other SR stock and there is photographic evidence that they kept their respective locos. I now think that the WR train ran-round and then headed into the refuge siding leaving the station clear for the SR train to run-round and reverse in the normal way, finally being backed into the station ready for departure once the SR train had departed. The refuge siding didn't have FPLs of course but it would have been a slow speed move over detected points so just about within the rules. (Any other bright ideas welcome!)

bécasse

Postby bécasse » Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:49 pm

Here are relevant extracts from the 1934 SR Sectional Appendix, things are unlikely to have changed much subsequently. As usual I have added a pdf version to facilitate easy downloading.
B&W1934SectAppendix1.jpg

B&W1934SectAppendix2.jpg

B&W1934SectAppendix3.jpg

B&W1934SectAppendix4.jpg

B&W1934SectAppendix5.jpg

B&W1934SectAppendix6.jpg

B&W1934SectAppendix6.jpg

B&W1934SectAppendix.pdf

steve howe

Postby steve howe » Sun Mar 19, 2023 5:51 pm

Regarding the 'Pendlenton cassettes' I made up a set for my current shunting plank without re-reading Chris's article and used 3/4" angle, then wondered why the draught excluder cushion didn't touch the stock! I had to buy 20 x 20mm foam strip to do the job which was a bit pricey.

I will have a lot of storage cassettes to make for Watermouth and intend to go 'by the book' - I think 1/2" x 1/2" x 1/16" angle as prescibed would be more than adequate, although I plan to use 9mm ply strips for the base rather than the 43mm x 8mm timber Chris recommends (which doesn't seem to be available as a stock size anymore anyway) On all my previous sorties into cassette use, I've made infills from mountboard liberally shellacked and found it to be very stable. :thumb

Steve

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:39 am

steve howe wrote:I think 1/2" x 1/2" x 1/16" angle as prescibed would be more than adequate, although I plan to use 9mm ply strips for the base rather than the 43mm x 8mm timber Chris recommends (which doesn't seem to be available as a stock size anymore anyway)

I have found that 5/8 inch or 16mm angle gives a bit more clearance and have used 12mm thck MDF for the base. They work.

The sizes of timber can cause confusion. Smooth timber, planed all round (PAR) is traditionally measured by the size of the timber before it is planed smooth. So the traditional baseboard size of 2 inch x 1 inch timber actually measures a bit smaller, about 1 3/4 inches x 7/8 inches or in metric about 45mm x 22mm. Usually today In DIY stores the finished size in millimetres is given. Going to a proper timber yard may be different but such a place will have the machines to produce a specified size if needed.

Terry Bendall

davebradwell

Postby davebradwell » Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:15 am

I have 60" long cassettes using 1/2' angle with strips of 8.5 mm MDF for the bases. A couple of weeks ago I searched for 1/2" aluminium angle and a supplier came up first hit. Some folk just seem determined to do it differently. I make the base a tiny bit wider than width over angles to prevent adjacent angles touching and causing a short.

DaveB

Return to “Layouts and Operations”