Mostyn at Macclesfield Exhibition 25th-26th March 2023

Tell us about your layout, where you put it, how you built it, how you operate it.
Richard Oldfield

Mostyn at Macclesfield Exhibition 25th-26th March 2023

Postby Richard Oldfield » Sat Jan 07, 2023 5:57 pm

Dear all,

We are delighted to announce that Mostyn's next appearance will be at this year's Macclesfield MRG exhibiton on the 25th - 26th March 2023.

Further details are available here:- https://www.macclesfieldmrg.org.uk/exhibition/

This exhibition is a double celebration as it represents Macclesfield MRG's 50th Annual show and, more importantly (for Barrowmore Model Railway Group at least), it is a welcome return to the Macclesfield venue where Mostyn made its debut exactly 21 years ago. To me it seems barely credible that we have been on this journey for 21 years and there are still fresh challenges and fun to be had 'playing trains' on the layout.

Mostyn spends most of its time in the larger national and major regional venues so this will be an eagerly anticipated return to a traditional venue and exhibition complete with special bus service from station to venue.

As always there will be new stock and formations on offer for the Mostyn 'regulars' and plenty of line speed running and shunting action to entertain visitors.

If time permits we will share new stock developments here on this forum.

Cheers,

Richard

Richard Oldfield

Re: Mostyn at Macclesfield Exhibition 25th-26th March 2023

Postby Richard Oldfield » Tue Jan 17, 2023 4:36 pm

Dear all,

Further to my opening post I have discovered a copy of the Macclesfield 2002 exhibition guide where Mostyn made its debut.

20230117_124021cpsm.jpg

20230117_124200cpsm.jpg

Sadly David Goodwin passed away a few years ago, but, on the bright side, the layout has been expanded from 21ft x 14ft to 24ft x 30ft over the years. In addition the stock roster has increased five-fold.

Of the original motive power everything is still rostered to work on Mostyn at Macclesfield 2023 apart from venerable Hornby-based 24047 and 24133 which have recently been replaced by SLW versions.

Cheers,

Richard
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bécasse

Postby bécasse » Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:46 pm

David Goodwin gave superb demonstrations of the effectiveness of the Alex Jackson coupling at The Model Railway Club's 1969 (most unusually in August and sadly a financial disaster) Exhibition at the New Horticultural Hall in London. It was at that show, inspired by Ashburton in P4, that five members of the Club got together and decided to make an accurate model of an Isle of Wight station in P4 with the result that Bembridge was first exhibited just 18 months later. It was David's demonstrations that actually convinced us to successfully adopt the AJ coupling even though we had previously seen it in operation on John Langan's Presson layout in EM.

Richard Oldfield

Postby Richard Oldfield » Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:25 am

Hi David,

bécasse wrote:David Goodwin gave superb demonstrations of the effectiveness of the Alex Jackson coupling at The Model Railway Club's 1969 (most unusually in August and sadly a financial disaster) Exhibition at the New Horticultural Hall in London. It was at that show, inspired by Ashburton in P4, that five members of the Club got together and decided to make an accurate model of an Isle of Wight station in P4 with the result that Bembridge was first exhibited just 18 months later. It was David's demonstrations that actually convinced us to successfully adopt the AJ coupling even though we had previously seen it in operation on John Langan's Presson layout in EM.

Thank you filling in some details about David's activities earlier in his railway modelling life. I met David for the first time in 1997 and owe much of my modelling skills to the patience shown whilst we worked on joint projects for Mostyn.

In order to commit fully to the next layout project David would give away stock from previous projects in the hope they would continue to be used and enjoyed. Stock from Plemsworth (now at the HMRS headquarters Butterley) was widely dispersed and stock from Adavoyle junction is still running today at the South Downs MRC Dublin.

Mostyn still has on its roster a few items from David's earliest forays into Modern Image modelling - you can see his spidery handwriting underneath identifying the vehicle type and date of completion. 1991 is the earliest date so they have given excellent service.

Regards,

Richard

Richard Oldfield

Postby Richard Oldfield » Thu Feb 09, 2023 5:09 pm

Hi,

In order to help with publicity I have written a piece on the early history of Mostyn for the Macclesfield MRG February newsletter. It is on pages 13-16.

https://macclesfieldmrg.us17.list-manag ... 036693baa9

Time is marching on with preparations for this very special outing.

Cheers,

Richard

Richard Oldfield

Postby Richard Oldfield » Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:52 am

Hi folks,

The March Newsletter of the Macclesfield MRG Newsletter has just been published and contains a second article on Mostyn and its preparations for thier forthcoming 50th annual exhibition.

See:-

https://www.macclesfieldmrg.org.uk/wp-c ... LETTER.pdf

The adrenalin has started to flow within the team with Mostyn erected and operational in our clubroom. The focus over the last few weeks has been to maintain, smarten and improve the scenery. Subtle improvements have been made such as adding mileposts - there are three of them along Mostyn's half mile plus scenic section with the semi-derelict station building being 199 and a quarter miles from Euston.

Attention will shortly turn to stock items and the challenge of integrating new vehicles into existing formations. Two-axle Class A and B tank wagons will be making their debuts at Macclesfield providing all goes well in the next three weeks.

Cheers,

Richard

iak

Postby iak » Wed Mar 15, 2023 1:55 pm

A reminder to you all, Mostyn is out and about soon...

IMG_20230129_133342_810.jpg

As Richard has mentioned, we hope to have some Class A and B tank wagons debuting for your enjoyment...

https://youtu.be/oNywN5fyViY
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest
enemy of truth....
Albert Einstein

Perfection is impossible.
But I may choose to serve perfection....
Robert Fripp

https://www.facebook.com/groups/PadgateWorks/

iak

Postby iak » Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:48 pm

Evening all,
Here is another clip of our new Class A & Class B tanks being tested ready for the coming weekend.

https://youtu.be/zDlM79f5QtQ

If you visit the show, please do come and have a natter, you will be most welcome...
enemy of truth....
Albert Einstein

Robert Fripp

Tony Wilkins

Postby Tony Wilkins » Sun Mar 26, 2023 7:57 pm

I would dearly like to thank the Mostyn crew for a most enjoyable Saturday afternoon watching the trains running for several hours and for the most part working impeccably after an almost 3 hour journey across the peak district in rather inclement weather.
A superb example of P4's capabilities. I perhaps more than most can appreciate the sheer amount of time, effort and dedication that has gone into this project and the discipline of the operating team. I can honestly say you made my trip worthwhile.
Regards
Tony.
Inspiration from the past. Dreams for the future.

iak

Postby iak » Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:16 pm

You are most welcome Tony.
Thank you for the kind comments.
The Beastie is now safely back in its lair.
The stock building programme however, continues apace.
enemy of truth....
Albert Einstein

Robert Fripp

Mark Tatlow

Postby Mark Tatlow » Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:18 am

You'll have to extend it again.................

Sorry I did not make it to see it; does it have any more outings planned?
Mark Tatlow

iak

Postby iak » Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:34 am

Not this year Mark.
However, I am sure other bookings are pending soon.
Our website is updated regularly with such things

http://www.barrowmoremrg.co.uk
enemy of truth....
Albert Einstein

Robert Fripp

Richard Oldfield

Postby Richard Oldfield » Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:13 am

Hi Mark,

Mark Tatlow wrote:Sorry I did not make it to see it; does it have any more outings planned?

Due to the confirmed invitation coming in just before last weekend's outing to Macclesfield we have not yet had the opportunity to update our website.

The next outing for Mostyn will be at Spalding Exhibition 4th-5th November 2023.

The first outing of 2024 is scheduled for Alexandra Palace.

Two times a year is the most we can manage given the task of maintaining the layout and existing stock plus continuing the building programme towards the target of 1000 vehicles. Hopefully we'll catch you in the not too distant future.

Cheers,

Richard

Mark Tatlow

Postby Mark Tatlow » Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:19 am

Thanks Richard, I will definitely see you at Ally Pally!
Mark Tatlow

Richard Oldfield

Postby Richard Oldfield » Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:14 am

Hello Tony,

Tony Wilkins wrote:I would dearly like to thank the Mostyn crew for a most enjoyable Saturday afternoon watching the trains running for several hours and for the most part working impeccably after an almost 3 hour journey across the peak district in rather inclement weather.
A superb example of P4's capabilities. I perhaps more than most can appreciate the sheer amount of time, effort and dedication that has gone into this project and the discipline of the operating team. I can honestly say you made my trip worthwhile.

I have just about surfaced after the weekend's exertions. Thank you for your kind comments and it was a pleasure to meet you at Macclesfield. Mostyn's attendance at Macclesfield was a great example of co-operation between our friends at Macclesfield MRG, the hosting school/caterers and Barrowmore MRG. With a bit of flexibility on all sides (early unloading, extended set-up time, early breakfasts and patience during re-loading) the Mostyn team were able to present the layout in pristine condition and with no fewer than 25 new items of stock running in revised formations. We were also able to introduce 3 new BMRG members to the delights and pressures of Mostyn at an exhibition.

Together with Macclesfield MRG's own efforts we contributed articles and promotion to assist with marketing Mostyn's presence at Macclesfield. The results were impressive and mirrored Mostyn's impact on the attendance at Cardiff in August 2022. Exact attendance figures have not yet been published but feedback from their exhibition manager suggests they have broken their record in the modern era with a very substantial improvement over 2022. It was a joy to present Mostyn to bustling crowds in a friendly atmosphere and to come away knowing that we have significantly contributed to the ongoing success at Macclesfield MRG.

You can only applaud the vision of the Macclesfield MRG exhibition team and committee who took a risk with a very large layout like Mostyn ..... and have now had their foresight rewarded, especially when a successful exhibition is a vital part of their finances. The welcome was exceptional, we were assisted with unloading and reloading, and also watched them help Squires reload for their long return to Bognor Regis.

Now to start planning for Spalding in November.....

Cheers,

Richard

Tony Wilkins

Postby Tony Wilkins » Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:36 pm

Hi Richard.
It was pleasure to meet you too. I applaud your ambition to achieve 1000 vehicles, my target is 525 wagons (350 to date and counting) for Brimsdown and that's enough. With such a fleet reliability has to be designed in from the start and you have certainly achieved that.
Regards
Tony.
Inspiration from the past. Dreams for the future.

ChrisMitchell

Postby ChrisMitchell » Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:59 pm

We were also able to introduce 3 new BMRG members to the delights and pressures of Mostyn at an exhibition.

I had the fortune to be one of the new members Richard referred to.

The whole weekend was a great pleasure, and I learnt a lot. As I was “out front” coping with the complexities of the sequence for the exchange sidings for most of my time, it was fantastic to hear the highly positive comments from all the visitors I spoke to.

Richard and the Barrowmore team past and present need to be applauded for their efforts over the past 20+ years. P4 really does work.

Chris

Return to “Layouts and Operations”