St. Mary Hoo C.E.G.B. Railway - a first time P4 layout

Tell us about your layout, where you put it, how you built it, how you operate it.
Rustyrail

St. Mary Hoo C.E.G.B. Railway - a first time P4 layout

Postby Rustyrail » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:11 pm

Dear All,

As mentioned in another part of the forum I am a new member of the Scalefour Society, so "hello" to everyone! Over the last two months or so I have been constructing my first, and very modest, P4 layout using a mixture of kit and semi scratch points. One of my objectives has been to try and encourage others, who might be tempted to move over to P4 from OO for example, to give it a go. I have been compiling a blog about my progress which can be viewed here:-

http://stmaryhoo.blogspot.com/

The layout is located in north Kent on the Thames estuary; it will represent a small industrial railway complex serving an electricity generating station with a BR link line (southern region third rail) nearing closure. I hope you enjoy reading the blog and any comments and suggestions are welcomed.

Cheers
Simon

David Knight

Re: St. Mary Hoo C.E.G.B. Railway - a first time P4 layout

Postby David Knight » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:52 pm

Hi Simon,

Very nice and well described and illustrated. Industrials & light railways have a certain charm to them that is at once interesting but also manageable from a modelling point of view. There is no need to 'go big or go home' as is expected with mainline efforts. Have you ever considered taking St Mary Hoo to RMweb or have I just missed it among all the other postings? Whatever, good to see it here.

Cheers,

David

Rustyrail

Postby Rustyrail » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:19 pm

Many thanks for your comments David; much appreciated!

Cheers
Simon

Jim Summers

Postby Jim Summers » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:39 pm

Welcome, Simon.

I am immediately caught by your description "The choice of location was very important for me; I like railways in lonely and wild places, especially ones situated in flat landscapes with unobstructed views. I also like the sea very much. This part of Kent fulfils these criteria admirably with acres of flat salt marshland and rough pasture with excellent views of the Thames estuary". Fascinating atmosphere, as you say, with the sound of the wind and the birds. And your references in the blog are great.

So more power to your elbow. What you have shown us so far leads me to believe there is a fine layout to appear at Scaleforum one day. What year should it be pencilled in for, would you say?

Welcome to the Society, and thanks for making such an early and interesting contribution.

Jim Summers

Rustyrail

Postby Rustyrail » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:34 pm

Many thanks Jim,

Hearing your comments makes the whole project really worthwhile; not just the layout, but the description of how it is evolving. I'd love to bring it to Scaleforum at some stage as I've only ever been as a spectator, and to have a layout there would be an honour indeed! I would say at a guess, two years would see the layout completed. Thanks also for your welcome by the way - much appreciated!

All the best
Simon

dcockling

Postby dcockling » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:22 pm

Hi Simon and welcome,

Excellent work. I have added your blog to the blog summarizer on the Society's Calendar and I'll be looking forward to reading further instalments.

BTW your New Member pack will be going to the post office tomorrow.

All the Best
Danny

Rustyrail

Postby Rustyrail » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:08 pm

Cheers for all of that Danny! I'm looking forward to receiving the membership pack from the society. I've already ordered bits and pieces from the stores - third rail components for the layout.

All the best
Simon

Rustyrail

Postby Rustyrail » Sat May 01, 2010 10:39 pm

I've made some more progress with my layout and this can be seen on my blog...

Cheers
Simon

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Mon May 03, 2010 6:37 am

I have not been on here for some time but having seen the pictures, I would like to echo Jim's comment about bringing the layout to Scaleforum.

And as I am the person who books the layouts, just get in touch when you are ready.

Of course anyone else can do the same, regardless of whether you are a first time P4 layout builder, very experienced or something in between.

Terry Bendall

Rustyrail

Postby Rustyrail » Tue May 04, 2010 2:28 pm

That's much appreciated Terry! I'd love to do this in the not too distant future.

All the best
Simon

Return to “Layouts and Operations”