Scalefour Society Layout database

Tell us about your layout, where you put it, how you built it, how you operate it.
Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Scalefour Society Layout database

Postby Terry Bendall » Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:27 am

For many years the Society has maintained a list of layouts built to P4 standards that are in existance, some of which are available for exhibitions. The list is in need of updating which I am doing. We know that some layouts no longer exist, some will have changed hands and some where the builder or owner has died since the details were first collected. Information of this nature would be very helpful so if you know of a layout that comes into any of these categories please let me know since it will save unnecessary contact.

To save a lot of individual messages, this post is to ask layout owners to assist by providing the necessary details.

In order to comply with data protection regulations, contact details of layout owners are kept confidential on the same basis as membership information. Information that is made publically available will be limited to brief details of the layout and where in the UK it is located. If contacted by an exhibition organiser, the normal practice is to send the message onto the owner and invite them to respond should they wish to do so. Although the database is mainly intended to list those layouts that are available for exhibitions, it also includes some that are not intended to leave home but which may be available for private viewings by invitation. Layouts under construction can be included if you wish. One new development which is planned is to maintain a list of the layouts on the Society web site with one or two pictures so that web site visitors can gain inspiration from seeing what others have done.

If you are an owner of a layout and would like the details of your layout included then please e-mail them to me using the e-mail address layouts@scalefour.org We need the following information:

Name of layout, period that it represents, brief description, size of layout, floor space needed, number of operators needed, distance that you are willing to travel to an exhibition and if van hire is needed for transport. If it is a layout only available for private viewing then please mention this. We obviously need full contact details which as a minimum should include the name of the owner or group contact person, postal address and an e-mail address. A telephone nunber is helpful but not essential.

I look forward to receiving lots of e-mails in the near future.

Terry Bendall
Layout database co-ordinator

barrowroad

Re: Scalefour Society Layout database

Postby barrowroad » Fri Apr 29, 2022 6:59 pm

Hi Terry,

Sheep Pasture is no longer available as I sold it to a gentleman in Hertfordshire in 2020. I'm not sure if he is a member of the society but he owns another P4 layout. I think he plans to have invited guests to view at some stage in the future.
My current layout, Bristol Barrow Road is still on the database but is no longer available for exhibitions as it's size makes the logistics too difficult.
Viewing is available to invited guests.

Robin

jim s-w

Postby jim s-w » Fri Apr 29, 2022 7:24 pm

Hi Terry

I don’t know if new street is on there but I’ve recently had to accept it’s never going to be finished and will never leave the shed! So if it is can you please delete it

Cheers

Jim
Jim Smith-Wright

http://www.p4newstreet.com

Over thinking often leads to under doing!

hughesp87

Postby hughesp87 » Sat Apr 30, 2022 12:16 pm

Terry,

I have a nagging suspicion that Middlepeak may still be on the list, in which case please remove it, as it is now dismantled. It's replacement, Friden, is being constructed as a home layout but will ultimately be available for visits.

In the mean time, Obbekaer is still available for exhibitions and will be at Scaleforum this year. If you need any further details for that, please PM me.

All the best,

Geraint
Geraint Hughes
Cromford & High Peak in P4
Danish Railways in P87

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Sat Apr 30, 2022 6:41 pm

I have seen this list somewhere, but can't find it.

Can you post a link to it? Perhaps it should be more 'obvious' to the website visitor?
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Sat Apr 30, 2022 10:08 pm

The form is here, https://www.scalefour.org/downloads/layoutform.pdf
I think the actual database is not published for data protection reasons, enquiries have to be sent to Terry.
As here, https://www.scalefour.org/resources/exhibitionlayoutdatabase
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

nigelcliffe

Postby nigelcliffe » Sun May 01, 2022 6:43 am

grovenor-2685 wrote:The form is here, https://www.scalefour.org/downloads/layoutform.pdf
I think the actual database is not published for data protection reasons, enquiries have to be sent to Terry.
As here, https://www.scalefour.org/resources/exhibitionlayoutdatabase

Whilst there are good reasons to withhold some details (addresses, and perhaps others), its my view that having a list which is "secret, only viewable on application" and asking people to contribute isn't useful. I note Terry said the intention was to publish some information about layouts, whilst withholding some details - that is more likely to work.

I've no idea what's on file for Burntisland-1883, I'm the exhibition coordinator for the layout.

- Nigel

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Sun May 01, 2022 8:47 am

nigelcliffe wrote:its my view that having a list which is "secret, only viewable on application" and asking people to contribute isn't useful.

I agree, which is why the intention is to put on the public part of the web site the name of the layout, period that it represents, brief description, size floor space needed, number of operators needed, distance that you are willing to travel to an exhibition and if van hire is needed for transport. The location will only be identified by the nearest town and a couple of pictures will be included. That should be sufficient to allow an exhibition organiser to see if it fits their requirment and if it is likely to be affordable.

nigelcliffe wrote:I've no idea what's on file for Burntisland-1883, I'm the exhibition coordinator for the layout.

I have all the layout details Nigel since Burntisaland was at Scaleforum in 2019. All I need are your contact details best sent in an e-mail direct to me at layouts@scalefour.org and any updates since 2019.

Thanks to those who have responded on here. An ackknowledgement will be sent. I have now had a few replies direct but hopefully more will be coming soon as people have time to respond.

Terry Bendall

Terry Bendall

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Sun May 01, 2022 8:59 am

They could, of course, use the form I linked above which incorporates the permission for publishing appropriate details.
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Fri May 20, 2022 9:03 am

A reminder on this. I have had replies from about 12 people which means there are about 165 still to reply. Not all of them will be members of this forum but most will and if you know of a layout owner who does not look at the forum very often, perhaps you might give them a nudge. For those who thought "Yes I will do that next weerk" or whenever it would be helpful if you could respond, Things change and if a layout is no longer available please let me know. layouts@scalefour.org

Thank you

Terry Bendall

Jeremy Good

Postby Jeremy Good » Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:03 am

Terry,

I've just sent you the details of Wheal Elizabeth of which I am now custodian. It has reverted to its original single ended format and is due to be at the Portsmouth show in November.

Regards

Jeremy

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:39 pm

Jeremy Good wrote:I've just sent you the details of Wheal Elizabeth of which I am now custodian.

Thanks Jeremy. A further gentle prod that I am still waiting for infornmation from all those who have not yet had an opportunity to reply.

Terry Bendall

Return to “Layouts and Operations”