Dungeness Station

Tell us about your layout, where you put it, how you built it, how you operate it.
BrockleyAndrew

Dungeness Station

Postby BrockleyAndrew » Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:52 pm

Well, having asked on this forum about traffic to Dungeness and about a grounded horsebox and a Drewry railcar I finally got around to visiting Dungeness today. I went on a weekend so as to be able to visit the Old Lighthouse which was closed through Covid and is open again now but only on weekends in October and about to close for winter in November.

I climbed the 161 steps to the top and had an excellent view of the remains of the mainline trackbed and station platform. I then walked a few hundred yards along the trackbed and had a good look over the platform remains. I also had fish and chips at a nearby pub.

I happily took many photos and
IMG_20211023_122645.jpg
had one discovery that I couldn't see in the historic photographs which was that the fencing along the line, which I was unsure if wooden or concrete posts, was wooden. It looked as though some oblong plates had been affixed to them and wondered if maybe it was plates to attach the wire for the fencing......then I realised that of course that it was outline and drill holes for chairs and that the fenceposts are old sleepers stuck into the ground.

It was a brooding sky today and the Power Station is eerily menacing but was great to see what I'd only seen in historic photographs.

I'll have to do some fudging to model it. The runaround works out to nearly 4 metres in 4mm even though the platform and station are small. Also I think I'll omit the Admiralty siding as there is so little information about it I'd be making it all up anyway. I'd like to include the ballast sidings in some small way. All food for thought.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

zebedeesknees

Re: Dungeness Station

Postby zebedeesknees » Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:18 pm

I was a contractor at Dungeness B power station back in the day, and there are several amusing stories about the place, before it ever started generating. One was the complete loss of an earth connection due to sea water percolating through the underlying shingle, corroding the earthing frames!
One feature of the line to the station which attracted attention was the overbridge with a level crossing next to it.
From memory, as I understood it, the CEGB wanted to transport equipment to the power station (not sure if that was A or B) that was too heavy for the overbridge. The solution was the level crossing which I believe was paid for by the CEGB.
Opportunity there for a unique cameo?
Ted.
(A purists' purist)

Return to “Layouts and Operations”