Combe Wharf '18:83 challenge layout' Resurrection

Tell us about your layout, where you put it, how you built it, how you operate it.
RAO

Combe Wharf '18:83 challenge layout' Resurrection

Postby RAO » Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:23 am

Combe Wharf '18:83 challenge layout'.

I have been lucky to procure Combe Warf, built by the late Frank Warren. The layout first appeared at the 18:83 Layout Challenge Final, Scaleforum in 2005. Subsequently the layout was exhibited at various shows in the UK and even ventured to a show in the Netherlands. It was eventually retired and stored in Frank's garage, whilst he pursued other modeling activities.

The layout was originally 9' 10" foot long and 1 foot - 6 inches wide to stay within the 18:83 challenge restraints [consisting of 2no. 3'-6"' & 1no. 2'-10" boards], along the way a 4' x 1' fiddle yard was added.

So how to resurrect the layout?

1, Baseboards:- Mostly 10mm ply, are now set up in my insulated loft [no heating] gradually drying out, all set up on desks. Only one set of legs could be found, so by first job is to make the missing ones based on the design of the set that have been found. "I do not want to reinvent the wheel".

2, Track:- Plastic chairs on ply sleepers
A, all trackwork to be gauge checked and adjusted, also where track has become loose from the baseboard to be refixed.
B, all points to be proved to be working smoothly [currently 4 of the 8 need attention!].

3, Electrics:- Good and Bad!!! sadly no wiring diagram exists and many connections for controllers exits on the side of the control panel box. So my first task is to draw up full wiring diagrams just to see what's what, and than take action to improve and simplify.

4, Run a good loco to prove ALL works.

Then take a deep breath. Once the above has been sorted, then I can start sorting out the rest of the layout. More to follow.........

[Whilst this layout will distract me from building my "Once in a life time layout" of West Pennard on the S&DJT branch line, it will give me a chance to hone my skills in making a layout & I can use it as a test rig for loco's & stock that I am currently building]

It was just too good an opportunity to miss.

You can see photos of the original layout on the 18:83 challenge link.

(Link here: https://www.scalefour.org/layouts/exhibcoombewharf.html - Paul Willis, Forum Team)
Last edited by RAO on Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Re: Combe Wharf '18:83 challenge layout' Resurrection

Postby Terry Bendall » Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:19 am

Good to see this Coombe Wharf is being brought back to life. It was a nice layout and well worth saving.

Terry Bendall

Return to “Layouts and Operations”