Sparthbottom PCD

Tell us about your layout, where you put it, how you built it, how you operate it.
Andy C

Sparthbottom PCD

Postby Andy C » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:13 pm

Now having got the "I'm going to build a prototype layout" bug out of my system Im about to turn my attention to the next project. Sparthbottom PCD is VERY loosely based on Oldham Clegg Street PCD and assumes the LNW had extended the OAGB beyond Oldham Clegg Street and into East Lancs to link up with the WCML near Preston. Sparthbottom is an area in the centre of Rochdale and would have been a good site for the station - in this instance roughly situated west of the old Library and a lot more central than the L and Y real station!

IMG_5102.JPG

IMG_5101.JPG

IMG_5100.JPG

IMG_5099.JPG

IMG_5098.JPG

There will be fiddle yards either side of the through station, as the period is roughly 1976 - 1983 the passenger service is purely DMU's and the parcels and freight in the hands of class 24, 25 and 40's with occasional 45 / 47 (and the odd 37 appearing). Freight will be short coal CCD traffic, oil, and an engineers train. As with all my projects, the Cooper hounds can never be left out of assisting.

A lot of the stock is already in the stockbox, the P4 point kits have been bought with the exception of the single slip (order coming your way shortly Mr Jukes). The buildings will be a wriggly asbestos shed as at Oldham for the depot (well the first foot of it anyway) , a station on the overbridge - which is probably Bury Bolton street a a more modern example, leading down to canopied platforms. the backscene is likely to be industrial and terraced housing, with a modern BR flat roofed signal box. Colour light signalling will mainly be the norm. Control will be dual fuel - DCC with an instantly "switchable in" DC supply should the NCE go tits up again - call me cautious but.....

Andy C

Re: Sparthbottom PCD

Postby Andy C » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:14 pm

Heres the original templot screen shot for clarity!

Sparthbottom.JPG

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:36 am

Mmmm... Bowmore...

Good choice for layout planning, and not a bad name for a layout ;-)

With my Marketing Manager hat on, do you have copies of the original high-resolution pictures that I could use for publicity purposes? What you have done is illustrate the flowing curves possible from the combination of Templot and P4 track very well.

Cheers
Flymo
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

ClikC

Postby ClikC » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:13 am

This sounds very interesting, I shall watch with great interest.

Regards

Andy C

Postby Andy C » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:35 pm

Flymo748 wrote:Mmmm... Bowmore...

Good choice for layout planning, and not a bad name for a layout ;-)

With my Marketing Manager hat on, do you have copies of the original high-resolution pictures that I could use for publicity purposes? What you have done is illustrate the flowing curves possible from the combination of Templot and P4 track very well.

Cheers
Flymo

Sorry Flymo, I reduced them down on the PC and deleted them from the card - However when I get chance this weekend I will redo them in better light and you can have them straight off the EOS!

(oh and the ((Empty)) bottle the other end is Jura "superstition" :D )

Andy

Return to “Layouts and Operations”