Port Bréige

Tell us about your layout, where you put it, how you built it, how you operate it.
KMCE

Port Bréige

Postby KMCE » Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:14 pm

Hello All,

FIrst post in the layouts section, so if this is not in the correct location, I'm sure someone can gently point me in the right direction.

In this instance A micro layout based on the Scalscenes canal wharf boxfile layout. As I work in 21mm P4 (Irish gauge) the question was, could it be done in 21mm - as it turns out, yes, and proves to be quite a shunting puzzle.

The Scalescene layout in the box is of limited operational use, however they do recommend using a sector plate or traverser to provide some level of operation. I opted for the sector plate and incorporated it into a single layout, which will be twice the size of the scalescene proposal and I could use some other buildings to hide the sector plate. The wharf space was limited, and as I already had the dock scene from Scalescenes, I could extend the wharf and convert to a port - in this case a small fictious port somewhere in Ireland.

As the track will be covered by the kit base scene, there was no need to provide all the sleepering - just enough to hold the track in position. A Y-point was created, and even though it is short, it has the equalivent of 800mm radius (as does all the track) which means locos & wagons travel through quite well.

Basic Track Layout 1.jpg

This was wired up for DC (or as the layout is so small, it could be DCC). Sector plate will be operated by a simple push rod, as will the point.

Uncoupling positions (magnets) are noted by the circles and the layout operates with 4 short wagons. Each small siding can only hold one wagon without fouling the points, while the top road can just about hold all four wagons. Sector plate can hold the loco and two wagons, so shunting options are quite limited. By using the uncoupling position on the point exit, it is possible to make up trains of 3 on the long road, from the 4 wagons and still provide quite a challenge.

This is then put into a box to contain the scene and make it portable.

Basic Track Layout.jpg

Box overall dimensions are 660 mm long x 300mm deep x 320mm high, so quite small.

The scalescene kit is very good and buildings come together well, albeit with a lot of cutting and sore fingers!

Partial Buildings 1.jpg

I'm planning on using the drifter model I have as part of the scene, plus a modified version of a building I had previously built for another stalled layout.

This building will be exteded to incorporate the bridge section which will then hide the sector plate from the normal viewing position. This is still a work in progress and will be complete once I get a better indication of how the bridge will tie the two together.

Some strip LED lighting was added to light the scene.

Further progress on buidlings and rolling stock added to give some scale.

Partial Buildings 2.jpg

Loco used is my model of GSR Class 495 with mixture of wagons. I need to build more box / open wagons as they would be more appropriate for a dock scene.

Work done on the LHS building, however, more work to finish out the roof, etc. What does need work is the central column on the LHS buidling to accommodate the wider loading gauge; the point & track build makes the space for he front covered wagon too tight. Cutting the column back & recovering (thanks to being able to re-print the cover) solved the problem, howeever the doors will not fit - leaving them off is the easy solution!

Partial Buildings 6.jpg

Sea detail is as per MarklinofSweeden (youtube) tutorial using PVA glue and toilet roll to create very realistic sea & waves. Painting and varnishing to be completed to get to a realistic finish (hopefully)

Complete scene, as it stands now.

Partial Buildings 5.jpg

More as progress warrants.....

Regards,
Ken
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Re: Port Bréige

Postby Paul Willis » Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:20 pm

Hi Ken,

Thanks very much for introducing us to that scene. It's a surprisingly good model :-)

I say surprisingly, because I looked at the first picture of the rough trackplan on a board, and thought "what the heck is that?". Yet by the time you have modelled the buildings, and given it some stock, and a purpose as a location, it's a very convincing scene, and a perfect reflection of where it is intended to be.

I really like it! It has far more depth and dimension than I imagined would be possible. I look forward to seeing a further update or two...

Cheers
Paul
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

steve howe

Postby steve howe » Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:51 am

I've been looking at these Scalescenes boxfile dioramas as well and its good to see one being built properly and turned into a workable model. I am wondering if the two current kits could be combined to make one longer scene....

https://scalescenes.com/product/ly02-canal-wharf-boxfile-layout/

https://scalescenes.com/product/ly01-industrial-boxfile-layout/

We have used a lot of Scalescenes items on our club 00 layout including the very handy scratchbuilder's yard range and they can look very good. It all boils down to the quality of the print, and to this end I always take the file to a copyshop with a high quality laser machine and print onto best quality matt paper. I found the Scalescenes instructions on card thickness a bit OTT and I use thinner card and spray adhesive rather than the very thick card and Prittstick they recommend. With gentle weathering and additional detail they can look very convincing. :thumb

Steve

KMCE

Postby KMCE » Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:25 pm

Thanks for the comments guys.

I use the scalescene scratchbuilders yard for the buildings as I'm trying to generate an "Irish" flavour. I have found the home printer to be OK, but for more serious stuff I use the plotter (A1 for work) whch gives good prints. In this case, I wanted to see if the box layout could be converted to use 21mm, which it just about does.
The boxfile layouts are fine, but of little operational use, so to expand and combine should provide a more usable layout. The bridge/building in the industiral layout would be very useful to close out the sector plate, however the colour tone of the two layouts is a little mismatched. Perhaps using some material from the Scratchbuilders yard may blend the two together?

So to the layout - a little bit more progress.

Some finishing touches to the front building & roof. Link building for bridge developed, however bridge is still to be completed.

Partial Buildings 10.jpg

I started playing around with some backscenes to help set the layout in a larger secene so took some photos from my local port (Wicklow Town). LHS is quite good, however RHS water is too smooth & the wrong colour, so may look at other photos to fill this in. I should be able to get a better photo when the wind is up a bit more and creating a more disturbed surface.

Partial Buildings 11.jpg

Bridge will be much lighter that originally designed, so I thought I would re-purpose another building made before. I figured the guys would like to get a drink after work, so added the bar into the backscene, which hopefully closes out the backscene and helps to hide the sector plate. The sector plate & well will need repainting in light grey to blend in with the scene.

Partial Buildings 12.jpg

Photo of the loco & rolling stock - kinda why we are here!

Partial Buildings 13.jpg

A bit more work needed, but it's coming together rather nicely. Some weathering to plant everything in the scene and tone down the "newness" will help.

Anon.

Ken
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jon price

Postby jon price » Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:13 am

Excellent stuff. The view down (up?) river on the sidescene in the second photo is very effective. Did you have the photo already, or was it taken specially (and were you hovering above the water!)
Connah's Quay Workshop threads: viewforum.php?f=125

Phil O

Postby Phil O » Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:51 pm

Hi Ken,

Can I ask, the origins of the boat please.

Thanks,

Phil.

KMCE

Postby KMCE » Sun May 14, 2023 1:16 pm

It's been a while since I last posted however a lot has happened in the interim. In the meantime I got to work on the port layout and have brought it to a point where I consider it to be practically complete.
The front building and bridge was very basic and I decided to revise this element including a change to the building in the backscene. This building was re-built and turned to provide more depth, whilst also providing a platform and loading door. The front building was replaced with a longer slimmer type which helps to screen the sector plate and removes the need for the bridge - to me this provided a more natural look. The front buildings benefited from 3D printed windows and doors to add some detail as they are built using the printed sheets from the original box layout buildings and can look a little flat.
Revised Nov22-5.jpg

The buildings needed some purpose, so this new building was designated as the maltings building and the scene depicts bagged grain being unloaded from the drifter on the pier and manhandled into the building for malting. Sprouted grains are also bagged and dispatched by train to the local breweries.

The buildings on the left were designated a a wire ropes factory and timber stores, so cable drums and timber loads were required to set the scene - these again 3D printed in various sizes.
Revised Nov22-6.jpg

This then gave an overall scene:
Revised Nov22-7.jpg

I regularly brought the layout "in-build" to local shows and found that it's very limited in operation, particularly where stock was concerned. The layout can handle a shunter and four small wagons, so to help operations and deploy more stock, I added a sliding fiddle yard. Just four lanes, but enough to allow for more trains with varied stock enter and leave the scene.
Revised Jan22 -9.jpg

The layout got some more details, namely people, birds and rolling stock to add interest and provide a more realistic scene:
Revised Nov22-1.jpg

Revised Nov22-2.jpg

Revised Nov22-3.jpg

Revised Nov22-4.jpg

Revised Nov22-8.jpg

Revised Nov22-11.jpg

Revised Nov22-12.jpg

This turned out to be a nice project and a worthwhile expansion on what started as a boxfile layout. It's still compact but can now operate as a cameo layout while displaying various locos and rolling stock.
I'm rather pleased with the overall effect and it appears to go down well at shows gathering it's own level of attention - what more can you ask for.

All for now,
Ken

Return to “Layouts and Operations”