Horsley Bank - shunting plank

Tell us about your layout, where you put it, how you built it, how you operate it.
Suffolk Dave

Re: Horsley Bank - shunting plank

Postby Suffolk Dave » Sun Jun 12, 2022 3:01 pm

Fabulous work - beautiful urban modelling! Nicely photographed too.
Check out my modelling activity here: https://www.instagram.com/4mm_dave/

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Sun Jun 12, 2022 4:24 pm

Hi Steve,

Lovely pictures of a wonderful layout, as ever.

Just one thought - in the light of their current popularity, could you not change the name on the hoarding in the first picture?

https://www.thelathums.com/#/

Cheers!
Paul
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

steve howe

Postby steve howe » Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:34 am

Suffolk Dave wrote:Fabulous work - beautiful urban modelling! Nicely photographed too.

Thanks Dave, TBF they're not that recent, I just came accross them when looking for something else! and apart from David B's ones, the rest were taken at the Exeter Show (I think) by Rod Cameron.

Paul Willis wrote:Hi Steve,

Lovely pictures of a wonderful layout, as ever.

Just one thought - in the light of their current popularity, could you not change the name on the hoarding in the first picture?

https://www.thelathums.com/#/

Cheers!
Paul

Way out of my orbit I'm afraid Paul!

Steve

Enigma

Postby Enigma » Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:22 pm

Smashing little layout, right up my street (literally!). Have you ever tried using 3-links with an iron wire end link and a small magnetised pole? I use an old curved needle file which can get into tight spaces. Overscale hooks help as well (Smiths) at the expense of some scale accuracy but being at heart a very pragmatic individual I prefer the ease of operation especially in an exhibition scenario. On my current 'plank' (Braynerts Sidings) there are areas where 3 -links may well be a problem with access and I was considering Dinghams - but theory has it that they don't work well on tight curves. Mine are more like bends and are based on (don't tell anyone, shuuuush.......) Peco Setrack. Does anyone have any experience of using Dinghams on tight curves?

Enigma

Postby Enigma » Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:37 pm

Just looking atb the photos again and admiring your work once more and I saw the advertising boards each side of your layout. What is it they are featuring - a book on industrial railways?

BTW, do you operate from the front or the back?

steve howe

Postby steve howe » Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:33 pm

Enigma wrote:Just looking atb the photos again and admiring your work once more and I saw the advertising boards each side of your layout. What is it they are featuring - a book on industrial railways?

BTW, do you operate from the front or the back?

Hi, the boards are interpretive panels describing the role of railways in industry and some background on the Yorkshire heavy woollen industry. I used to be a Museum Designer and old habits die hard!

Operation is largely from the front with a certain amount of fiddling at either end where the sector plate and cassettes are located. I tried Dingham couplings but eventually gave up on them for two reasons: one I didn't like having wagons 'handed', and two I had difficulty getting the latch on the delayed coupling feature to work reliably. Currently I use AJs although they have limitations due to the curves. I quite like the Iain Rice variant on the Sprat & Winkle which uses a fine wire loop between the buffers and a hook which is basically an 'upside down AJ' I haven't had opportunity to experiment yet but its on the to do list!

Steve

Winander

Postby Winander » Thu Jun 16, 2022 12:35 pm

Enigma wrote:Does anyone have any experience of using Dinghams on tight curves?

MarcD has developed a variant of them, see here viewtopic.php?f=40&t=8046#p90783

MarcD wrote:curves down to 3ft4 (PECO O gauge set track). So after 2 years of R&D it launched in February. https://pregroupingrailways.com/product ... ng-system/
Richard Hodgson
Organiser Scalefour Virtual Group. Our meeting invitation is here.

Enigma

Postby Enigma » Thu Jun 16, 2022 1:10 pm

Winander wrote:
Enigma wrote:Does anyone have any experience of using Dinghams on tight curves?

MarcD has developed a variant of them, see here viewtopic.php?f=40&t=8046#p90783

MarcD wrote:curves down to 3ft4 (PECO O gauge set track). So after 2 years of R&D it launched in February. https://pregroupingrailways.com/product ... ng-system/

Thanks but I have already asked a few questions on Marc's thread. He reckons it would be possible to use Flippems on 2' radius in 4mm with the 'wide' loop. He's also making alternative loops for existing Dinghams which sounds useful. Well, to me at any rate considering the track on Braynerts Sidings :)

Winander

Postby Winander » Thu Jun 16, 2022 1:28 pm

Steve, as Allan Goodwillie said back in 2009, I particularly like the use of levels and I love the attention to detail and the overall impression it gives. There's so much to like and inspire in your layout, congratulations.
Richard Hodgson
Organiser Scalefour Virtual Group. Our meeting invitation is here.

Return to “Layouts and Operations”