Maindee East for sale

Tell us about your layout, where you put it, how you built it, how you operate it.
David B

Maindee East for sale

Postby David B » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:46 am

I see the P4 layout Maindee East is up for sale in an on-line auction.

Auction estimate is £300 to £400 which sounds low to me as some locos and rolling stock are included. I recall a lot of interest whenever the layout was at an exhibition.

There are pictures of the layout in the retrospective for Scaleforum 2011.

Mark Tatlow

Re: Maindee East for sale

Postby Mark Tatlow » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:28 pm

A bargain, I would suggest for that quantum of layout.

It seems not to include the smoke generator that exercised the minds of Leatherhead's Leisure Centre team so much in 2011!

Also, the resale vale of what look like four OO locos (they are sitting drunk in the ballast) would be close to the same........
Mark Tatlow

David B

Postby David B » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:36 pm

There is also the buyer's premium on top, more than 25%!

Brian T

Postby Brian T » Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:32 pm

The Auction listing for Maindee East states "Passed", which I guess is auction speak for failed to achieve reserve. Bearing in mind the estimate was £300-£400 I'd say someone missed a bargain....

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:58 pm

It now says "bidding has ended"
Ordsall Road (BR(E)), Forge Mill Sidings (BR(M)), Kirkcliffe Coking Plant (BR(E)), Swanage (BR (S)) and Heaby (LMS/MR). Acquired Thorneywood (GNR). Still trying to "Keep the Balance".

Tony Wilkins

Postby Tony Wilkins » Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:16 pm

I would have thought that "Passed" meant reached the reserve price.
Tony.
Inspiration from the past. Dreams for the future.

Le Corbusier

Postby Le Corbusier » Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:33 pm

On RMweb someone is suggesting that the highest bid was £190 :?
Tim Lee

dcockling

Postby dcockling » Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:26 pm

Tony Wilkins wrote:I would have thought that "Passed" meant reached the reserve price.
Tony.

From Sotheby's glossary of auction terms: "Pass/Unsold - Terms used by the auctioneer when an item fails to reach its reserve at auction."

David B wrote:There is also the buyer's premium on top, more than 25%!

And if the auction house/company is VAT registered then VAT on top of that.

Model Railways rarely sell for anything like what the materials used to create them will have cost the builder, yet alone the value of the time he or she will have spent creating them.

If you're surprised, ask yourself if you would actually be interested in buying a model railway built by someone else as their own project and how much you'd be willing to pay for it, compared with say how much you'd have to pay someone that you'd commissioned to build a model railway for you to your specification.

As I started my post quoting Tony Wilkins, consider (and I have no idea what he might charge) if I asked Tony to build a complex track formation for me I'd expect his fee to include his time and expertise which would be worth a lot more than the materials; but if it later turned out that I didn't want/need the formation, what would I be able to sell it for?

All the Best
Danny

Andrew Ullyott

Postby Andrew Ullyott » Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:17 pm

If anyone's seriously interested in acquiring the layout, I'm sure they could approach the auctioneer to see if the vendor will sell for less than the reserve under private treaty.
Railwayana which fails to sell at auction often gets sold this way.

Le Corbusier

Postby Le Corbusier » Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:52 pm

1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim Lee

essdee

Postby essdee » Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:38 pm

Thanks Tim,
And well done Pete, a very pleasing outcome for a fine piece of model art.
Steve

PeteT

Postby PeteT » Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:49 pm

That is good news! Though just to clarify, it isn't me - even though the middle initial is also shared!

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:58 pm

Oh, and I thought you had finally seen the light and gone WR :D
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

Le Corbusier

Postby Le Corbusier » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:08 am

2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim Lee

Noel

Postby Noel » Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:04 pm

And just what are the Society supposed to do with it? They aren't set up to be a museum, so far as I know, nor, in my view, should they be. AIMREC's website doesn't show much (any?) progress, nor does https://beta.charitycommission.gov.uk/charity-details/?regid=1168774&subid=0; housing and running a museum and maintaining the contents is not cheap, and there does not seem to be much of a market [and not much even then] for anything except large roundy, roundy layouts [I wonder what their income projections look like?]. Also, maintaining and operating layouts take manpower, i.e. volunteers; not operating a layout seems rather pointless, apart from providing homes for spiders. In any event, the response to the auction suggests that interest in preserving Maindee East is minimal to non-existent. Perhaps an individual might take it on one day, but it was open to anyone to do what PJT has done. No-one did, despite considerable publicity.
Regards
Noel

Le Corbusier

Postby Le Corbusier » Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:30 pm

For me the point is ... if anyone is interested, then getting the word out as wide as possible is the right thing to do. I don't think anyone is expecting any more than that. Many would not have heard it was for sale .... and of those many would not be interested in an auction .... but on the right terms, someone might be interested.

With it being P4 ... the society is a natural point of call .... if the current owner is looking for another home for the layout.
Tim Lee

Return to “Layouts and Operations”