track inclines from level to standard bridge height

Tell us about your layout, where you put it, how you built it, how you operate it.
scalemaster

track inclines from level to standard bridge height

Postby scalemaster » Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:12 pm

I am building a new layout that requires an incline to handle 5/7 car trains from ground level to standard bridge height.

I am very unsure as to the angle required to easily effect this situation any info regarding problem would be great`tly receiceved

Bob Cummings (scalemaster)

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Re: track inclines from level to standard bridge height

Postby grovenor-2685 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:31 pm

Make the gradient as flat as possible within the constraints you have, haulage capacity depends very much on the locos and stock you want to use.
I have grades in the region of 1 in 25 and need heavy locos but it does work.

Rgds
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Paul Townsend

Postby Paul Townsend » Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:09 am

scalemaster wrote:I am building a new layout that requires an incline to handle 5/7 car trains from ground level to standard bridge height.

I am very unsure as to the angle required to easily effect this situation any info regarding problem would be great`tly receiceved

Bob Cummings (scalemaster)

If your gradient is on a curve, it needs to be a gentler rise for a given train. I have 1:40 on a 4ft radius and all most locos manage ok with 5+ carriages or 20+ 4wheel wagons.

I strongly recommend a test before you are committed

Will L

Postby Will L » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:52 am

You may find the following of interet, as it gives you an idea of what sort of things can be achieved

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1500#p30680

But you will note this is all to do with getting good performance out of your loco, a point Keith also made in passing when he noted that his locos are heavy. If you want significant inclines it implies you have to ensure your locos are up to it.

Return to “Layouts and Operations”