Swanage (again)

Tell us about your layout, where you put it, how you built it, how you operate it.
Noel

Re: Swanage (again)

Postby Noel » Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:32 am

Will L wrote:Sorry but that PDf is upside down, which makes it very hard to read

The reader has an icon, a circular arrow pointing clockwise [immediately to the right of the "+", which lets you rotate the picture 90 degrees at a time.

nf.newling wrote:It must have left the turntable badly out of balance and hard work to push.

I think this is a powered turntable, judging from where the fireman(?) is standing and the box in front of him [and the lack of anything to push on].
Regards
Noel

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:11 am

PDF viewers can rotate the pictures, use view/rotate.
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

stephenfreeman

Postby stephenfreeman » Sat Jul 03, 2021 12:17 pm

No problem rotating the page but can you imagine the reaction these days! As noted elsewhere H&S is perhaps over evident now but even in 1958 what were they thinking of and to publish the photo without amendment!

Winander

Postby Winander » Sat Jul 03, 2021 1:32 pm

Fixed.
Outriggers.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Richard Hodgson
Organiser Scalefour Virtual Group. Our meeting invitation is here.

Will L

Postby Will L » Sat Jul 03, 2021 3:56 pm

grovenor-2685 wrote:PDF viewers can rotate the pictures, use view/rotate.

So they do, never had to do that before. Of course Firefox hides the control under the >> icon which makes it trickier to find if you don't know its there.

Winander

Postby Winander » Sat Jul 03, 2021 5:55 pm

I am very impressed with the paintwork on the crane Neil.
Richard Hodgson
Organiser Scalefour Virtual Group. Our meeting invitation is here.

nberrington

Postby nberrington » Sun Jul 04, 2021 12:14 am

Made a little handle from some scrap etch and brass wire. I tried to contour the wire in the lathe - I think it worked….

3FC6957E-9C6C-44AA-8BAD-B969AA5585AE.jpeg
us by
27EF0532-5AA2-4EAC-992F-709B6BA57AA9.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

nberrington

Postby nberrington » Sun Jul 04, 2021 12:16 am

Winander wrote:I am very impressed with the paintwork on the crane Neil.

Thank you! I used the Ammo “scratches” varnish over an inner colour - it peeled and scratched rather nicely. I think better than hairspray and salt would have….

This thing is actually tiny and I was trying to be subtle.

nberrington

Postby nberrington » Tue Jul 06, 2021 4:23 pm

Perhaps someone (?Terry) can help.

The little hut behind the loco shed (previously smaller than it is at present) - appears to be a rest hut for crew. It sports a chimney, so I assume must have had a stove or fireplace. Can anyone tell me what was inside? - Bed/ shower/ stove/ toilet/ table and chairs?

I want to detail the interior a bit and leave the door ajar so one can see in.

Thoughts?

Noel

Postby Noel » Tue Jul 06, 2021 5:15 pm

nberrington wrote:The little hut behind the loco shed (previously smaller than it is at present) - appears to be a rest hut for crew. It sports a chimney, so I assume must have had a stove or fireplace. Can anyone tell me what was inside? - Bed/ shower/ stove/ toilet/ table and chairs?

It may be for shed staff as well as, or rather than, loco crew. Bed and shower definitely not. Toilet possibly, depending on whether there is one elsewhere on site, more likely stove rather than fireplace. Table and chairs very probably, plus a Belfast sink and cold tap as well. What is in there now is no guide to what was there in the steam era, which was usually primitive and grubby, apparently. From reading and some pictures, often the only other facilities consisted of a large kettle on top of the stove.
Regards
Noel

Terry

Postby Terry » Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:45 am

nberrington wrote:Perhaps someone (?Terry) can help.

The little hut behind the loco shed (previously smaller than it is at present) - appears to be a rest hut for crew. It sports a chimney, so I assume must have had a stove or fireplace. Can anyone tell me what was inside? - Bed/ shower/ stove/ toilet/ table and chairs?

I want to detail the interior a bit and leave the door ajar so one can see in.

Thoughts?

Hi Neil,

Which shed are we talking about?

ImageIMG20210503115819 by terry.howlett, on Flickr

I have briefly been inside both. Hut A in my picture is a kind of small office with a locker room with showers at the rear, for the loco cleaning crews. Hut B is a small kitchen also used by the crews. That is how they are used today. I can't really help with the original pre 1930's dimensions or use. It's possible Swanage Railway might be able to help you there with some old plans. You could try contacting the trust directly at info@swanagerailwaytrust.org.uk. Worth a try I'd say?

HTH

Terry

bécasse

Postby bécasse » Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:52 am

Hut A is modern.

Hut B is the locomen's "mess" where they took their PN time ....... and the staff side chairman of the Locomen's LDC is seeking an early meeting in respect of this stupid idea from management that they should keep the door open.

nberrington

Postby nberrington » Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:42 am

Hut A must be a very recent addition. The little hut has also been extended in the preservation era. Originally it looks to be quite small. I was guessing 8x12 based on standard door dimensions. Building it that size however doesn’t look right.

I assume it must actually be quite a bit bigger.

9CD186F7-09EB-411B-9322-33D1ADBFE171.jpeg

nberrington

Postby nberrington » Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:56 am

Some coal staithes - two more sets to do I think. I want to vary them a bit so that they are not all sleeper built. More work in this than would appear....

D0FFCC27-9C77-4408-A2A6-65A0C2C576CC.jpeg
164F82DB-E8AD-4F71-A3F7-D918BCFCB582.jpeg

David Knight

Postby David Knight » Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:57 pm

Nice touch with the raw edge, Neil. And belated admiration for the work on the crane, the rust and grease were very subtle and realistic. :thumb :thumb :thumb

Cheers,

David

bécasse

Postby bécasse » Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:57 pm

Although I note that this thread was originally titled "Dorset 1937", I remain unsure as to which year you intend the layout to depict. However, if it is pre-WWII, I am extremely doubtful whether there were any coal staithes, which I strongly suspect arrived, as in many goods yards, during WWII. Certainly the 1928 (probably surveyed 1927) 25" OS map doesn't show any at Swanage and they were rare beasts in country goods yards until the necessities of war (ensuring that the production and distribution of coal was maximised during the summer months) suddenly meant that they sprang up all over the place. There were places with staithes pre-WWII but they tended to be used either for the storage of coal intended for an industrial customer who lacked storage space on their own premises or for the storage of building materials (which some coal merchants handled as a secondary activity).

nberrington

Postby nberrington » Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:00 pm

bécasse wrote:……if it is pre-WWII, I am extremely doubtful whether there were any coal staithes, which I strongly suspect arrived, as in many goods yards, during WWII.).

I didn’t know that! Interesting the assumptions one makes on incomplete information. The goods yard is very camera shy, and the end of the sidings has to me been pure guesswork. Jackson’s book show cattle docks across from the goods shed, where previously I have seen pictures of piles of coal. The cattle dock seems to have gone up in the 20s, and I assumed they would have moved the coal to a more distal locale on the sidings.

My model is loosely based on the ones at Corfe (I took tons of pictures of them) and Martin’s models of Semley.

I don’t have any absolute info, but liked how the model came out….

nberrington

Postby nberrington » Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:20 am

For what’s it’s worth, here’s the technique
8A3956A9-A093-47B7-91BF-AD70B1F18DD0.jpeg
6BB390D8-AD73-4196-8DEC-995C0FCDC227.jpeg
705C86DC-A130-4568-824C-920D6CC97006.jpeg
19A5E962-11A9-44BD-93B5-B29773E97FA6.jpeg

nberrington

Postby nberrington » Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:21 am

And this is the Mk2

3EAABE83-1576-475E-9FC0-7DF3BF693017.jpeg

John Palmer

Postby John Palmer » Wed Jan 04, 2023 12:13 am

Resurrecting this thread because (a) there's plenty of interesting stuff in it (I'd like to discover how the simulated chair impressions in the sleepers were made) and (b) today I came across a little nugget about turntable outriggers I thought worth sharing.

The following is derived from a two-part article by G.F Yeomans in the S&D Trust's Bulletins 75 and 76:

“During the 1920's the newly formed Midland Division of the L.M.& S.R. were prompted by the seasonal increase in weight of peak period passenger traffic over the S.& D.J.R. to conduct engine tests, between December 1924 and October 1927, with various types of L.M.S.engines.”

Amongst the engines tested was ex-Midland 990 Class 4-4-0 number 995. The Bulletin article quotes the following passages from Derby Locomotive Drawing Office's report upon the test of this locomotive:

“CONDITION OF ENGINE:- The engine which had been out of shops about six weeks, was fitted with a shorter tender (No.1060) to facilitate turning at Bath. With this alteration crocodile irons were still necessary.”
“CONCLUSIONS:- From the foregoing it would appear that this engine can be relied upon to work trains of 260 tons gross weight without any undue loss of time. It must be bourne in mind that the regular use of engines of this class would necessitate a larger turntable at Bath, as the crocodile irons are not a practicable method for everyday use.”

There's a thread on RMWeb where a contributor queried whether he correctly understood the expression “crocodile irons” to refer to outriggers for the accommodation of over-length locomotives on turntables. He received no reply, but it would appear from the passages quoted from the Drawing Ofiice's test report that this is exactly what they were, and that such nomenclature was a recognised part of railway vocabulary at the time the report was written.

I'm unsure as to the reason such outriggers were described by reference to a crocodile. Could it be that the turned up ends of the outriggers, no doubted intended to prevent an overrun, bore some slight resemblance to a crocodile mandible?

nberrington

Postby nberrington » Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:41 pm

After a long hiatus, (walking, working and generally being without mojo), I’m back at it. I’ve started work on the “little bridge” on the North side of the MPD.

I’ve never been happy with stonework (bought or otherwise), until recently working on my wife’s layout and experimenting with “carving foam” from AK interactive. It’s something akin to florists’ foam (“oasis”), just a bit denser. The stuff is frightfully fragile, and entirely unsuited any area that might be exposed to thumps and bumps. It does however carve and texture superbly.

The subject at hand - shots taken from each side of the bridge:

5AB0D85D-C518-4EEA-9D05-622934A07B08.jpeg
37458749-B4E5-4681-9E6E-369E008A75BB.jpeg

I first drew up a plan of the bridge, then outlined the stones on a real wall at Swanage using Corel. This was then lasered an outline of the stones on the carving foam. Here is the first attempt. I discarded them for not resembling the original that well.

27D65E9F-1782-4E63-875C-4E2AEA6CAD2C.jpeg

The revised version is as close as I think I might get. Once outlined on the foam, I then set to work with various objects to further carve, distress and outline each stone. This will be the basis of a master I will make a mold from once the rubber arrives from Amazon....

EDC3348D-1993-4824-BDF5-EFB9079E95FF.jpeg

18DF4FC6-A44A-4DB0-9F23-657BF997285A.jpeg

The (?) west side of the bridge has some more recent brickwork reinforcement - I think that would make for some interesting contrasts in texture.

More to follow in a week or two.

nberrington

Postby nberrington » Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:02 pm

John Palmer wrote:Resurrecting this thread because (a) there's plenty of interesting stuff in it (I'd like to discover how the simulated chair impressions in the sleepers were made)

I cheated - I have access to a 75W Epilogue laser machine. (An aging but powerful beastie.)

I drew up the sleepers on Corel, including a shaded block and 3 holes where the chairs would have been. (Quite precisely actually - from Society templates of LSWR track work.)

I then lasered them out of basswood sheets, using the “raster” setting to gently burn in the impressions. Each sleeper is then distressed and suitably bashed with various sharp objects, dental picks, saw blades and wot-not. They are then stained, taking care to stain the chair impressions a little darker.

splam32

Postby splam32 » Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:34 pm

nberrington wrote:After a long hiatus, (walking, working and generally being without mojo), I’m back at it. I’ve started work on the “little bridge” on the North side of the MPD.

I’ve never been happy with stonework (bought or otherwise), until recently working on my wife’s layout and experimenting with “carving foam” from AK interactive. It’s something akin to florists’ foam (“oasis”), just a bit denser. The stuff is frightfully fragile, and entirely unsuited any area that might be exposed to thumps and bumps. It does however carve and texture superbly.

The subject at hand - shots taken from each side of the bridge:

5AB0D85D-C518-4EEA-9D05-622934A07B08.jpeg37458749-B4E5-4681-9E6E-369E008A75BB.jpeg

I first drew up a plan of the bridge, then outlined the stones on a real wall at Swanage using Corel. This was then lasered an outline of the stones on the carving foam. Here is the first attempt. I discarded them for not resembling the original that well.

27D65E9F-1782-4E63-875C-4E2AEA6CAD2C.jpeg

The revised version is as close as I think I might get. Once outlined on the foam, I then set to work with various objects to further carve, distress and outline each stone. This will be the basis of a master I will make a mold from once the rubber arrives from Amazon....

EDC3348D-1993-4824-BDF5-EFB9079E95FF.jpeg

18DF4FC6-A44A-4DB0-9F23-657BF997285A.jpeg

The (?) west side of the bridge has some more recent brickwork reinforcement - I think that would make for some interesting contrasts in texture.

More to follow in a week or two.

Hi Nick, did you get this from Hobby Sense, I've been looking for something to carve Brunel viaduct base columns from, and this looks like the stuff to use.
Will be in Manitoba in April, so will have to check them out.

nberrington

Postby nberrington » Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:54 pm

Hi Nick, did you get this from Hobby Sense, I've been looking for something to carve Brunel viaduct base columns from, and this looks like the stuff to use.
Will be in Manitoba in April, so will have to check them out.[/quote]

I did indeed source the carving foam from Hobby Sense. He has the full range of AK Interactive and Vallejo stuff - so is worth a visit.

You need to check his hours before going down there - he keeps odd retail hours …..
Not the friendliest chap - but he has a good inventory of general modelling supplies.

Eliminator RC on Higgins is also worth a visit for bits and bobs. They don’t have the foam though, but plenty of brass, styrene and basswood.

splam32

Postby splam32 » Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:46 pm

nberrington wrote:Hi Nick, did you get this from Hobby Sense, I've been looking for something to carve Brunel viaduct base columns from, and this looks like the stuff to use.
Will be in Manitoba in April, so will have to check them out.

I did indeed source the carving foam from Hobby Sense. He has the full range of AK Interactive and Vallejo stuff - so is worth a visit.

You need to check his hours before going down there - he keeps odd retail hours …..
Not the friendliest chap - but he has a good inventory of general modelling supplies.

Eliminator RC on Higgins is also worth a visit for bits and bobs. They don’t have the foam though, but plenty of brass, styrene and basswood.[/quote]

thanks, I will check them both out, I tried warehouse hobbies last October, which was not a happy experience.

Return to “Layouts and Operations”