Berrington and Eye 1912 Herefordshire layout

Tell us about your layout, where you put it, how you built it, how you operate it.
petermeyer

Berrington and Eye 1912 Herefordshire layout

Postby petermeyer » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:39 am

My long-term layout project has it's first building; a weighbridge office. Looking a bit lost alone with its weighbridge but the footings are in for the station building too.

Next it's all about ballasting once I've finished installing the platform edgings.

IMG_1874.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by petermeyer on Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Serjt-Dave

Re: Berrington and Eye 1912

Postby Serjt-Dave » Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:33 pm

That looks great Peter. Any more pics please?

Dave

petermeyer

Postby petermeyer » Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:22 pm

Serjt-Dave wrote:That looks great Peter. Any more pics please?

Dave

Not painted nor weathered yet

IMG_1875.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:56 am

Every time that I see this title, I think that it is another Great Eastern layout emerging ;-)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eye,_Suffolk

Lovely looking work though!

Cheers
Flymo
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

petermeyer

Postby petermeyer » Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:07 am

Flymo748 wrote:Every time that I see this title, I think that it is another Great Eastern layout emerging ;-)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eye,_Suffolk

Lovely looking work though!

Cheers
Flymo

Haha, no it's here - firmly in Herefordshire

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berrington_and_Eye_railway_station

petermeyer

Re: Berrington and Eye 1912 Herefordshire layout

Postby petermeyer » Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:18 am

Since after committing to moving the layout to the loft, my daughter has bought her own property. So when she moves out I can have a reshuffling of bedrooms and the layout can revert to the bedroom it’s photographed in this thread originally. To be honest I had not looked forward to climbing into the loft long term. The downside is that for a roundy the minimum radius will be down to 3 feet. I have made a test plank and so far everything looks ok. Some locos need adjustment which I’ll cover in workbench threads.

gavin
Web Team

Postby gavin » Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:58 pm

if you needed any extra encouragement, although I suspect you have many similar pictures, here is one of the station in the sunshine today.
Gavin
Scalefour News Editor

petermeyer

Postby petermeyer » Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:13 pm

gavin wrote:if you needed any extra encouragement, although I suspect you have many similar pictures, here is one of the station in the sunshine today.
Gavin

Thanks Gavin and most interesting that you was in Eye today! And yes I have conducted many a site visit over the years. The colour of that building continues to fox me. The part nearest the camera in your shot has a red tinge but the Station Master's house further back looks brown. It all depends on the light. I was told that the building was made from the same red sandstone as Berrington Hall. My model is more brown but I can't say I'm totally happy with it and the builders still haven't finished tiling the roof yet let alone put the windows in.

IMG_0490(Edited).jpg

Oddly, all the doors on the station including the Station Master's House front door were on the platform side. There were no doors facing the station approach. You had to enter the booking hall from the platform via a side gate. A later addition after closure was a door on the station approach that is shown in many more recent photos.

gavin
Web Team

Postby gavin » Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:23 pm

If you ever decide you want it photographing in particular weather conditions let me know and we will do our best - but of course it is always sunny over here in the Marches!
We live in Ludlow, and Berrington Hall was dog walk location today.
Gavin
Scalefour News Editor

petermeyer

Postby petermeyer » Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:02 pm

I guess I should really rewind and explain why Berrington & Eye and hence this thread.

Back in the day, my brother and I built a typical GWR 30's BLT in OO in what was our joint bedroom but I'd moved out by then. Back then there was limited amount of RTR locos available so if you wanted a Dean Goods for example you had to build a kit. I bought a K's kit. I moved to EM for loco building and very quickly on to P4, why and when is now lost in the mists of time, but apart from some test track and turnouts, never a layout.

A fan of pre-grouping GWR, thoughts turned to a layout and I decided on Ludlow as it had a Goods Shed, Engine Shed and was on a curve which ticked a lot of boxes. But the station building no longer existed and old photos did not show it as so appealing. I only realised later that my interest was in a joint LNWR/GWR line!

Returning from a site visit to Ludlow, by which time I'd moved North, I stumbled across Church Stretton old station building, which closed in 1914,but was still in existence in private ownership (and much the prettier). Also, when I was there, the site was still open and the Goods Shed still standing so I had a number of research visits and decided to model Church Stretton. It also set the date as pre-1914 before the old station closed; hence 1912. However, to do justice to it, as it was straight, would have required a straight run of about 25' including fiddle yards which I just did not have.

So by chance, I noticed an old picture of Berrington & Eye on the same line which had an almost identical station building but a much more simple and compact layout and on a curve. So B&E became the focus and I was delighted to find the station building still in existence in private ownership.

petermeyer

Postby petermeyer » Sat Jul 30, 2022 12:22 pm

I'd mentioned on another thread elsewhere on here that my build was on RMWeb. RMWeb now having lost the pictures, I thought, rather than replace them there, I'd recreate the story here for posterity and as a prelude to the extension I am planning.

This is the prototype:

Unknown.jpg

So a very simple layout, I worked out the length of scenic track I wanted and created the track plan in Templot. I set the sleeper spacing to LNWR spec with the help of Martin Wynne. The intention was to have the layout in the loft and I needed an extreme curve to negotiate the rafters and other things in the way. Luckily the original was on a curve; just not so vicious, with the station building now in residential use! The layout diagram below was produced with the aid of Templot by using the wrap function to get the OS map to follow the curve.

plan.jpg

I chose not to model the down platform that continued under the road bridge which makes for more compactness. The scenic part of the layout measures 2.4m by 2m. The length of the curve was 3.2m but with a later extension it currently is 3.5m. The curve is on a transition which gets down to about 5 foot radius at the down end. The width starts at 2 feet at the station end but gets progressively narrower. Can't remember now but it does mean I have avoided having to make the copse that can be seen on the map that would obscure my view of that end of the layout when operating.

petermeyer

Postby petermeyer » Sat Jul 30, 2022 12:55 pm

To create the track I merged the Templot plan with templates taken from the 1909 LNWR track spec which I'd scaled. I did this in Photoshop but it would have probably been just as easy in Templot with the wrap function. This is an example of an original LNWR template:

LNWR_points.jpg

I also played around in Photoshop and merged the old OS map with a current Google Maps view. It was interesting to see how the boundaries of the fields and other things have not moved though the copse/orchard is now a lot smaller. It also stunned me how accurate the OS maps are, created without the use of current high technology:

Berrington_and_Eye_map.jpg

Anyone whose still with me will have realised by now that I'm a stickler for prototype fidelity!

Leaping slightly ahead, this is the signalbox diagram that I flipped to match my viewing position. (Again in Photoshop). This sits on my control panel. I only need 3 point switches as the pairs throw in tandem. And only one signal is currently in the limits of the current scenic section; No. 18

IMG_0014.jpg

PS: this has been purposely distressed!

Return to “Layouts and Operations”