Edington Junction

Tell us about your layout, where you put it, how you built it, how you operate it.
Serjt-Dave

Edington Junction

Postby Serjt-Dave » Fri May 25, 2018 8:51 am

Things have been happening in my shed and so I thought I'd share them with you lot. I've constructed all the frames to support the baseboards. I was only planning on erecting just the frames for the scenic side of the layout and the two ends but as Travis Perkins supplied me with more wood than I ordered {thank you} I cracked on and put it all up. I've still got to fit the fascia to the front of the frames and paint them. Over the workbenches I will reduce the depth of them to give me better access but will still support to the legs. I then constructed the first two baseboards to which I then discovered how crap I am in woodworking but at least the biggest board is now made up. I've decided to have a rest from wood bashing as I need to remove the numerous splinters from my body, in fact I have so much of the stuff inside me I have now been classed as a small copse.

John P. I made a mock up of the station to show what I mean about the platform lengths. I make it they should be about 255' in length {without ramps}.
AA frame 1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Re: Edington Junction

Postby grovenor-2685 » Fri May 25, 2018 10:44 am

That is looking very good.
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Serjt-Dave

Postby Serjt-Dave » Fri May 25, 2018 10:48 am

Thanks Keith. This is all very new to me. The only other baseboard I've built is the one on the frame by the windows which is my test track.

Dave

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Fri May 25, 2018 3:36 pm

This is mighty impressive Dave. You have got all the baseboards up and a track plan in place in far less time than I have been able to manage. Actually my baseboards are up, apart from one side of the room, and I have been concentrating on moving my workshop down from the loft room. The track plan is actually in my head (Okehampton, slightly shrunk), there is still some clearing and tidying to do when I have time, and then the basic track circuits can be built and be laid.

Well done, puts me to shame!

Philip
Last edited by Philip Hall on Fri May 25, 2018 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Colin Parks

Postby Colin Parks » Fri May 25, 2018 8:38 pm

That is a very fine shed Dave and an impressive start to your layout. Is it going to be end to end or will there be a bridging section across the doorway?

All the best,

Colin

Paul Townsend

Postby Paul Townsend » Sat May 26, 2018 8:12 am

Its progressing well and quickly, however I do have two concerns.
Where is the hole in the shed end to allow connection to Highbridge?

More seriously I observe your baseboard frames have no diagonal braces. I recommend adding these soonest before it becomes impossible. Without them your boards are at risk of twisting. Have a look at Tony's recent piccies of his in the last great Brimsdown project.

All my previous baseboards have had two diagonals like Tony's but I have just been building a very small board as a sector plate....about 800 x 300mm amd framing had one only diagonal.....it was dead flat for a while but has now twisted so I will need to add the other diagonal and try to twist it back. Prevention must be better than this!

PS.
I believe the twist occurred when I laid the foam underlay.....stuck with PVA although the board was varnished with two coats beforehand. Construction is 9mm ply on softwood frame.

Serjt-Dave

Postby Serjt-Dave » Sun May 27, 2018 9:13 am

Hi Guys, thanks for your kind words.

Phillip. I would like to say it was all my own work but it ain't. The track plan was kindly done by John Palmer on Templot and I was helped by my neighbor with the woodwork. He's one of these type of guys who doesn't like sitting around doing nothing and as he's off work due to a back/shoulder injury which was caused when by an auger me and him where using when we were drilling out the holes for the piles for the shed base last year throw us across the garden when we hit a flint bed. He likes getting involved and plus he works for Travis Perkins and so gets a discount! I've still got a lot more baseboards to build yet but needed to take a break from wood bashing. It does take time and I'm sure your layout will take shape once you've sorted out you move of your workshop. I look forwards to seeing images when it starts.

Colin. It will be a continuous layout with a bridging section going across the doorway. The non-window side of the shed is scenic side and the window will have the fiddle yards. I'm going to have to put up either some window reflectors or blinds as the sun shines through virtually all day, so I don't want to have my stock bleached while sitting there.

Paul. I'll wait till your insight with your end from Highbridge before I start cutting holes in the side of me shed. LOL. Your right about the diagonal bracing and will add this before moving onto the next board and yes I have seen Tony's baseboards but I don't wish to talk about it. LOL. Seriously, Tony is well above my carpentry abilities. I will take on your advice and will amend.

I hear the calling of GWR beckoning me back to work next week so party time is over for awhile, and plus I want to finish off some stock buildingnext week and then I'll get back to wood bashing again.

Dave

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Sun May 27, 2018 6:40 pm

Serjt-Dave wrote:I'm going to have to put up either some window reflectors or blinds as the sun shines through virtually all day, so I don't want to have my stock bleached while sitting there.

The windows of my workshop face SE so I fitted some venetian blinds. Keeping them closed keeps out the sun when needed and they can be adjusted to let in whatever light you need. Also useful in the evenings to keep things cosy.

Terry Bendall

John Palmer

Postby John Palmer » Mon May 28, 2018 9:26 am

Well done, Dave, that's looking mightily impressive!

I agree with you about the platform lengths, and apologise for my errors regarding these on the Templot drawing. As far as I can tell, the length over ramps was about 285', which tallies quite well with your 255' dimension, leaving 15' per ramp.

One small caveat about the whole drawing is that I have a slight doubt about my re-scaling of the ordnance plan on which the station layout is based. I cut and pasted into the ordnance plan image from which I was working a copy that plan's printed scale rule. There's no reason why I would have re-scaled the image of the rule when pasting it in, so it should have been the same scale as the rest of the image. Subsequently I rescaled the image within Templot so that the 500' shown on the printed rule corresponded with a 2000mm dimension on the Templot ruler. This should have had the effect of making the image of the ordnance plan the correct scale within Templot, meaning that templates could be accurately superimposed upon it (except when bent to fit your workshop!) However, taking this course seems to have led to the tracks on the image of the ordnance plan appearing appreciably underscale, hence my doubt about the scaling. I think this makes little difference in practice, because the track layout as drawn is proportionally pretty good.

A case not of 'getting it all right', but of 'getting it as near right as possible in the circumstances'.

Martin Wynne

Postby Martin Wynne » Mon May 28, 2018 10:13 pm

John Palmer wrote:Subsequently I rescaled the image within Templot so that the 500' shown on the printed rule corresponded with a 2000mm dimension on the Templot ruler.

Hi John,

You probably know that Templot can now import historic maps from the NLS web site and scale them to your model size automatically.

Even if the map you are using is not available from NLS, you can use the NLS tiled 6" map (which is available for the whole country) to establish the correct locations of structures such as bridges and buildings. Then if you set your map transparent, you can scale it to size over the 6" map until it is the matching size. You can then delete the 6" map, and make your map non-transparent again.

If you subsequently wrap the image to a curve to fit the railway room, it will remain the correct size along the main line of track.

All this is covered in greater detail on the Templot web site: http://85a.co.uk/forum/view_topic.php?i ... e=1#p22091

cheers,

Martin.
40+ years developing Templot. Enjoy using Templot? Join Templot Club. Be a Templot supporter.

John Palmer

Postby John Palmer » Tue May 29, 2018 12:02 am

Indeed, Martin, I found the map import very handy for my Evercreech Junction exercise, but from memory the facility wasn't available when I did the first Edington drawing, so I had to rescale an image of the ordnance plan manually for that exercise.

I also found the thread at http://85a.co.uk/forum/view_topic.php?id=348&forum_id=3 useful for getting ideas about wrapping map images, but for whatever reason I eschewed that approach for Edington. The problem with Edington is that is is largely devoid of convenient scenic breaks for disguising the fact that the lines to Bridgwater and to Highbridge both have to be curved through 180 degrees to fit Dave's workshop, but I wanted to create the impression that these lines continued to diverge from each other. Inevitably the combined length of the platforms and throat operated as a significant constraint upon what was possible in this respect, and once the platforms and throat were in place I just twisted them as a group until it became impossible to connect them satisfactorily to the return curves fitted across the width of the workshop.

I haven't been able to see what advantage would be gained by rescaling a plan against the 6" ordnance map, as I would have thought that using the 6" to locate structures was even more open to the risk of rescaling errors because the scale is so much smaller than the 25" plan I used throughout for Edington. What am I missing?

Martin Wynne

Postby Martin Wynne » Tue May 29, 2018 1:55 am

John Palmer wrote:I haven't been able to see what advantage would be gained by rescaling a plan against the 6" ordnance map, as I would have thought that using the 6" to locate structures was even more open to the risk of rescaling errors because the scale is so much smaller than the 25" plan I used throughout for Edington. What am I missing?

Hi John,

What you seem to be missing is that Templot does the scaling of the 6" map for you. If you use the tiled version, it will be spot-on to 4mm/ft scale within the limits of the NLS scanning and georeferencing functions. And within the limits of the original OS survey of course, but that applies equally to the 25" map.

Admittedly the structure outlines are a bit fuzzy when zoomed in, but the human eye is fine for estimating when the two are in sync. The tracks on the 6" maps are simplified, so they are not so good for that, although better than nothing if no other map is available.

The fly in the ointment is that the tiled maps are georeferenced, so your 25" map needs to be georeferenced too for a perfect match. If it is one you scanned yourself, it won't be. The image will need to be rotated slightly to match the different map projection, between zero and about 2 degrees, according to where it is in the country. Also the OS grid lines on the georeferenced maps are very slightly curved, although not enough to be noticeable at our scales. Not many baseboards are built to include the prototype curvature of the Earth, at least not intentionally, although P4 is said to be about getting it all right. Image

Of course all this is irrelevant if your 25" map is available on NLS because Templot can capture it as a screenshot for you and scale it to the exact size.

Here is a direct comparison between the two (Tewkesbury):

6-inch map:

25-inch map:

I'm hoping that when the NLS have completed their 25" project coverage they will make the georeferenced 25" maps available as tiled maps in the same way as the 6" maps and the London 60" maps, although I fear the API subscription fee will be eye-watering. The tiled maps are so much easier to use than making screenshots, and can be extended to any size regardless of your monitor screen size. They zoom in and out much faster on Templot too.

cheers,

Martin.
40+ years developing Templot. Enjoy using Templot? Join Templot Club. Be a Templot supporter.

John Palmer

Postby John Palmer » Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:53 pm

Thanks, Martin. If starting from scratch on Edington now I'd import the relevant 25" map as my starting point, but, as I said, that wasn't an available Templot feature when I began the drawing. Might be interesting to import such a plan now, though, and use it to check how accurate was my original manual scaling of the 25" map!

Serjt-Dave

Postby Serjt-Dave » Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:35 am

Hi John, I'm glad you like whats going on. Hopefully it won't be too long before the timbers will be laid. What will delay things is that I have just started converting my cellar into a bedroom for one of my daughters. That in it self is not going to be hard, just chucking an old blanket and some straw down there but what will be is converting the coal shoot so we can lower a bucket of fish heads to feed her once a month. Once my daughter has been bricked up down in the cellar my next job on the layout is to finish off the first two boards, extra bracing, alignment dowels etc, then start on the third board. Again a big board but not as wide as the last one. However as this board carries most of the point work it's going to take some careful planing to where the bracing and supports are going to be placed.

Will keep you posted.

Dave

Andrew Bluett-Duncan

Postby Andrew Bluett-Duncan » Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:00 am

Hello Dave
Yes parenting can be a challenge at times can’t it, but sounds like you’ve found a neat solution....
Your shed and progress is also pretty impressive so don’t let the brickwork delay you too long, I’d like to see more.
Kind regards
Andrew

Serjt-Dave

Postby Serjt-Dave » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:05 pm

Hi Andrew, I never found parenting a problem as long as I had my 303 rifle to hand. It certainly kept potential boyfriends away.

Having a couple of weeks off wood working and finishing off some 16 tonners and a Milk tank has got me itching to crack on with making the third baseboard. But the cellar refurb is also cracking on, next week rewiring and battening the ceiling to take the plaster boards.

I'll post more images when I get more done.

All Best

Dave

Serjt-Dave

Postby Serjt-Dave » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:33 pm

It's been awhile since I've post ed an update but to be honest I've not really done much to progress my layout anyway. However during last year I took to thinking about the back scene. I didn't want to go with the printed vinyl types that are available so opted for a painted type. I remember seeing an ad in MRJ for someone who does this sort of work and got in contact with them. We met up at Scaleforum in September and chatted about my layout. In November the Artist came round my house to see the layout and we discuss the project. All went well but it meant I was going to have to make up some more baseboards before he comes back his work to trial fit etc. Having just had surgery on my hand I was unable to any modeling let alone any wood work so production would have to wait till my next week of leave in December. The appointed week duly arrived and my hand just about usable I cracked on. I planned to make just another two boards that were needed for where the back scene would finish and this took me up to Christmas week. I then thought should I clean up and continue modelling or crack on and make up the rest of the baseboards and get all the wood working out of the way. So on Christmas day morning I continued with the next board and by the end of last week I'd built another seven boards and fitted the valance around the supporting frames. I know my wood working skills won't win me any prizes, in fact the last board top I totally made a pigs ear of but as it's on a edge I'll get away with it. All the construction is done but there's going to be a little while before I can start to lay the track etc. The next stage is to glue and screw the board tops down, sand and align all the boards together, fit extra diagonal bracing where it won't interfere with point motors etc and fill and paint. Once done I can then clean my workshop from top to toe and get make to some modelling.

01 AA 2.jpg
01 AA.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Serjt-Dave

Postby Serjt-Dave » Thu May 09, 2019 9:26 am

A brief update on my layout. Since the last update all the boards are now finished lined up and bolted together then painted. I was going for a Southern Railway look but ended up with something more akin to Toy Town {as my wife calls it}.

The first bits of track are almost ready for laying, this is at the Shapwick end of the layout and are all curved, great fun to do especially the point. To my amazement the point seems to be okay. I will wire it up before fitting it and adding the chairs. Once all fitted I will make up the rest of the plain track that will take me round to the fiddle yard and then make up the track through the station.

I'm having a professionally painted backscene done and hope to have the first panels delivered next week.
20190425_180014.jpg
20190425_180026.jpg
20190509_092813.jpg

essdee

Postby essdee » Thu May 09, 2019 10:36 am

Dave, that is looking like a splendid foundation - may I ask if you had an earlier thread showing details/sizes and construction of the framing and boards, and what height you have chosen for the baseboard top level? I am 5ft 11in on a good day, and am homing in towards 46" floor to baseboard/trackbed top, for a very similar space (converted integral garage).

I like your Southern green/yellow scheme! For my early 1920s S&D opus I am tempted to adopt a deep Ultramarine (ie. "dark Prussian")for the fascia - I had originally thought of a matt dark earth...

Looking good, I shall be following with great interest.

Cheers,

Steve

John Palmer

Postby John Palmer » Fri May 10, 2019 11:13 am

Good stuff, Dave - I look forward to seeing further shots of progress, in particular looking westwards beyond the junction with the Bridgwater line to see how far the eye can be deceived as to the divergence of the running lines.

Nothing wrong with that green on the fascias. Shortly before 53808's final departure from Radstock the S&D Trust had commissioned a supply of Prussian Blue paint from Precision Paints (as they were then known) and this had been applied to the cab and tender of the locomotive (the cladding sheets had been removed from the boiler). As there was some of this paint left over we applied it to the gas pipe legs that support the Burnham baseboards, so we like to think that part of the layout is carrying authentic livery.

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Sat May 11, 2019 8:52 am

John Palmer wrote:Nothing wrong with that green on the fascias

Our choice for Elcot Road was Network SE dark blue. It helped that we acquired a 5 litre tin of the actual colour at no cost. :) A satin finish black can also be effective and that is used on Longcarse West.

Terry Bendall

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Sat May 11, 2019 6:38 pm

I do like the Southern colour scheme, food for thought for my own line, although as my baseboard supports are cantilevered out from the wall/floor they won’t be so visible. The baseboard edges also overlap the frames quite a bit so aren't so visible. My initial thinking for the edge profiles was stained and polished wood, but green and cream is tempting...

Philip

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Sat May 11, 2019 7:12 pm

Steve,

My baseboard surface is 44.5” from the floor. Beware, though, as reaching across to the tracks at the back of the storage yards (22” wide) is going to be interesting. The main boards for stone station are 2’6” wide, and the corners something like 3ft to 4ft. I am 5’6” and shrinking so you have a few more inches on me. My baseboards are immovable, so I will have to have some step-ups...

Philip
Last edited by Philip Hall on Sat May 11, 2019 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Serjt-Dave

Postby Serjt-Dave » Sat May 11, 2019 7:14 pm

Thanks Steve. Sadly no. If I displayed how I constructed the baseboards I'd be cast out of the society. LOL. The baseboards are 11cm in depth and from the floor to the top of the boards is 112cm. When I extend my chair to the fullest height it's just about the right viewing height, though it does become a bit wobbly. Might be better off with a bar stool type chair. Good luck with your layout.

Hi John. What I intend to do is at the West end just past the end of the down siding the back scene will cut across the the Highbridge line to hide it. so all you'll see going round that end of the layout is the Bridgewater branch. To help hide the porthole in the back scene where the line runs behind it a short screen will protrude from the porthole along the line and taper down towards it's end. Also to help defuses the trains disappearing act there will be a copes of threes and bushes etc. When my back scenes arrive on Monday I'll post some images which I hope will make this idea a bit more clearer.

All Best

Dave

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Sun May 12, 2019 8:24 am

Philip Hall wrote:, so I will have to have some step-ups...

At home our layouts rest on heavy duty adjustable shelf brackets which at the moment happen to be set at 44 1/2 inches above the floor. The top surface of the layout is about 5 inches above that. A small aluminium step ladder with a couple of steps is a useful solution when extra height is needed. All the layouts are designed to be taken to exhibitions so the boards can be moved onto a lower surface for working on.

Terry Bendall

Return to “Layouts and Operations”