Help on Radius's

Tell us about your layout, where you put it, how you built it, how you operate it.
John Palmer

Re: Help on Radius's

Postby John Palmer » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:18 pm

Serjt-Dave wrote:Wow John. I owe you a beer and a knee trembler for all your help with my layout. Thank you very much.

If your new plan doesn't change the overall size of the plan. I'll use the current one as a guide to make design and make the baseboards and this new plan for the actual track bed. What I plan to do now is to lay the plan onto some lining paper to work out the size of each baseboard and then construction can start on the baseboards. Yay!

Are you attending Scale North in April?

Dave

My pleasure Dave; I've enjoyed doing it.

I've attached a further .pdf print of the trackplan in which the most recent iteration appears in red marker colour, whilst the earlier version you printed and laid out is in conventional sketchboard blue. In many areas the templates correspond closely, if not exactly, but this shows that the area in which the old plan diverges most from the most recent is the curve in the bottom left hand corner where my 'optimisations' had the greatest effect. I think the difference between old and new plans may be big enough here to affect baseboard planning, but probably not otherwise. If in doubt, follow the red!

Yes, my plans are laid to attend Scalefour North, so hope to see you there.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Paul Townsend

Postby Paul Townsend » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:29 am

Eek.
I am booked in for Scalefour North but now need advice on how to avoid witnessing John and Dave engaging in a knee trembler. That would surely drop the rods on Dave’s 7F?

Hopefully their meeting will be over by the time we arrive :x

John Palmer

Postby John Palmer » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:41 am

I have just googled 'knee trembler'.

:o ...

:shock: ...

:? ...

Had not realised how sheltered a life I must have been leading! :oops:

Le Corbusier

Postby Le Corbusier » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:31 am

Giving the benefit of the doubt - Could always be the following ......
We’ve got THE summertime drink to refresh you after a long day- our Knee Trembler. It’s done with vodka, strawberry liqueur and lime and topped off with prosecco.
11393198_916222551775662_8466350578753278182_n.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim Lee

Will L

Postby Will L » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:44 pm

Le Corbusier wrote:Giving the benefit of the doubt - Could always be the following ......
We’ve got THE summertime drink to refresh you after a long day- our Knee Trembler. It’s done with vodka, strawberry liqueur and lime and topped off with prosecco.

But then a few of those could lead to one of the other.

P.S. haven't been so amused for a long time.

Serjt-Dave

Postby Serjt-Dave » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:23 pm

Hi All. The "Knee Trembler" thing I took from a Monty Python sketch but lets get back to the wonderful world model railways before we get investigated. LOL.

Hi John. Looking at the differences on your sketchbook image, I don't think this will cause any issues with the baseboard planning overall even the bottom left modification. I will allow for this now anyway. I wasn't planning on constructing that part of the layout straight away and by the time I start that part I would have printed out the revised plan and adjust if need being.

Hi Bevis. Thanks for your input. I thought about your idea but at the end of the day the max width of 4' is only for a small area and I intend to reduce the weight of the boards as much as I can by cutting out holes in the cross members etc which will help lighten the load.

I hope the have the mock up of the boards done by the weekend and will post images once done.

All Best

Dave

Penrhos1920

Postby Penrhos1920 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:36 pm

Noel wrote:
Penrhos1920 wrote: We found out that a 37 diesel will pull wagons off the track on a 4' radius if using prototypical couplings.

Etched links, by any chance?

Smiths couplings, so not etched I think

Serjt-Dave

Postby Serjt-Dave » Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:16 pm

Hi All. Trimmed the track plan, getting rid of any surplus paper etc. Laid out some lining paper making it to the maximum width I would need laid the track plan on top and then trimmed and shaped the lining paper giving me overall size of the scenic part of the layout. This will be made up of 6 boards, the two which form the station and junction will be the biggest at 8' in length. The max width is 4' but this is manly on the station board, the others are about 3' ish. The board that runs across the door will be removable to allow the wife to enter bringing tea and cake etc. The last Image shows a idea I have to create the illusion of the Highbridge line disappearing out of sight behind the Bridgewater branch. I was thinking of having a second back scene between the two lines.

I'm quite happy with the way things are progressing so far but any help and suggestions are always welcomed.

All Best

Dave

John Palmer

Postby John Palmer » Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:26 pm

That looks encouraging. I was a bit concerned that the lift-out section I anticipated being necessary might conflict with the points at the east end of the loop, but fortunately they appear to be clear of the door aperture.

I'm glad I set a maximum length of 23' for the Templot plan - just fits within the available space!

The 'second backscene' arrangement shown in your final shot is much what I had in mind, and the reason why I sought to get maximum separation between the HIghbridge and Bridgwater lines. Some nifty arboriculture in miniature with a line of willows or similar should help to disguise the fact that the Highbridge line is turning behind the Bridgwater line.

Do you have drawings of the station buildings you can use to check that the platform width is sufficient? I calculate that width as being a scale 25' on the Templot plan. Assuming 9" width boards on the canopy end gable, the canopy has a width of around 21-22', so the platform width must be clsoe to being correct. At this stage, there's still time to corrrect any error in that respect.

Serjt-Dave

Postby Serjt-Dave » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:59 pm

Hi John, you did good there buddy. Yes I'm very pleased with the way things are going.

I do have a drawing of the station building but it doesn't have any measurements to it. So will have to do a trip down to Taunton archive centre to have a look at the original plans.

One thing I did forget about the canal that runs along the line on the East end of the layout. This will be the part of the layout that goes past the shed door, so will have to widen the removable board and the next board along to get the canal in.

I've attached a image showing the West side of the station layout and you can see quite a few trees between the Bridgwater branch {now lifted} and the Highbridge line which will help defuse things.
Platform end and loading gauge 1960s.jpg

Dave

Return to “Layouts and Operations”