Brimsdown-The last grand project.

Tell us about your layout, where you put it, how you built it, how you operate it.
Tony Wilkins

Re: Brimsdown-The last grand project.

Postby Tony Wilkins » Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:25 am

These are the latest additions to the wagon fleet this time ex GWR .
DSCF1313.jpg

A pair of Ratio 12ton vans and a fruit van based on those converted from Mex B cattle wagons.
I have fancied one of these since I first came across a picture many years ago. Since I have several Airfix cattle wagon kits that I have raided for parts, it seemed a shame not to use some of them together with other parts from the 'bits' box to make what I regard as a passable representation of one.
Others may feel differently, but this is as close as I am likely to get without spending an inordinate amount of time on it.
Regards
Tony.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Inspiration from the past. Dreams for the future.

Tony Wilkins

Postby Tony Wilkins » Wed Dec 22, 2021 4:36 pm

These next two were something of a challenge as they came to me as assembled bodies with the sides glued upside down and it took some effort to dismantle them without doing too much damage. The fruit van on the left suffered most in the process.
DSCF1314.jpg

The place where the Fruit plate was fixed (upside down of course) can still be discerned from the marks on the middle top half of the door. The roofs have yet to be fixed.
I then decided to tackle a further 5 LNER van body kits that I had acquired, which included some Fruit vans. It was at this point that I realised I was going to need some additional components as I was short of underframes and 3 hole disc wheels. I ordered extras, but of course there were supply issues and shortages, although I have to say that they did their best in the circumstances. I would particularly like to thank Derek and Eileen's Emporium for combining my two outstanding orders and sending me what they had available as one order. Creative thinking at its best.
This though left me with a dilemma. The 5 bodies came with 4 pairs of 10ft wheelbase timber solebars, which I was reluctant to use. However a little research showed that style of timber body was not used with steel underframes and the timber underframed version of these wagons just about survived into my time period.
A rumage through my wagon bits stockpile unearthed another 6 LNER van body sets and I decided to add these to the build. The thing that puzzled me though, was the lack of roofs for them. These are all Parkside kits and the roofs as supplied are not the best of fits, but are better than nothing.
So what to do about the lack of suitable underframes? The LNER used their own particular design of 8 shoe fitted brakegear with 3 V hangers. However one of the things with the later LNER wagon types (and others) is the fact that due to the shortage of materials during WW2, many wagons that were planned to be built fully fitted were in fact built with 2 shoe Morton unfitted brakegear and were later vacuum fitted by BR with 4 shoe Morton brakegear, so by a judicious choice of wagons, the number of LNER 8 shoes fitted underframes required could be reduced and makes for more variety.
A search through the unmade wagon kits box produced enough suitable candidates to temporarily raid for parts.
So here is the current batch. The 5 wagons with wheels are the original batch and the remaining 6 are the additions with mostly plywood bodies.
DSCF1316.jpg

It had been my intention to post some more videos before Christmas, but I want to get these vans done first, so I may be gone a while.

Best Christmas wishes to all.
Regards
Tony.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Noel

Postby Noel » Wed Dec 22, 2021 5:14 pm

Tony Wilkins wrote:due to the shortage of materials during WW2, many wagons that were planned to be built fully fitted were in fact built with 2 shoe Morton unfitted brakegear and were later vacuum fitted by BR with 4 shoe Morton brakegear

These wagons also acquired either collared buffers, new 1ft 8.5ins buffers or self-contained, Dowty or Oleo buffers, depending on when the conversion was done, so providing more possible variations.

For those who are not aware of it, the programme ran from late 1955 to 1959, applied only to 10ft wb steel underframe vans and highs, and applied to wagons built in WW2 and later, plus a few from immediately pre-war. "Wagons of the Middle BR Era", David Larkin has details, including numbers.
Regards
Noel

Tony Wilkins

Postby Tony Wilkins » Thu Dec 23, 2021 12:39 pm

Noel wrote:
Tony Wilkins wrote:due to the shortage of materials during WW2, many wagons that were planned to be built fully fitted were in fact built with 2 shoe Morton unfitted brakegear and were later vacuum fitted by BR with 4 shoe Morton brakegear

These wagons also acquired either collared buffers, new 1ft 8.5ins buffers or self-contained, Dowty or Oleo buffers, depending on when the conversion was done, so providing more possible variations.

For those who are not aware of it, the programme ran from late 1955 to 1959, applied only to 10ft wb steel underframe vans and highs (opens), and applied to wagons built in WW2 and later, plus a few from immediately pre-war. "Wagons of the Middle BR Era", David Larkin has details, including numbers.

Indeed. Add in the various types of Axle box, Axle guards (W irons) together with wheel swaps and the scope for variations is vast.
The programme was approved under the 1955 modernisation scheme. It was a fascinating period from a research point of view with much scope for errors. I find the first three Era books by David Larkin an invaluable reference source amongst others. The amount of prototype information that is now available I find quite remarkable, although I have found some errors where information given contradicts photos in other books. Also Dave Franks of Lanarkshire Models does some very nice wagon buffers covering most of the variants required. However most of the White-metal parts seen in the pictures so far are ABS parts.
Regards
Tony.

Tony Wilkins

Postby Tony Wilkins » Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:47 pm

This where modelling historic vehicles becomes a minefield. The LNER fruit vans were fitted with torpedo roof vents, but the spacing varied.
DSCF1314.jpg

Compare this picture I posted previously with the one below.
DSCF1317.jpg

Going by the LNER books I have, the Plywood bodied variants had the middle pair on the center line, whereas the planked bodied vans had them slightly offset. The spacing of the outer pair also varied. The underside of the roof was marked where to drill the holes for them supplied with each version. All these thus far had been acquired as half built or sets of parts minus underframe and none came with instructions. I merrily drilled the roofs for both plywood Fruit vans and fitted the vents only to discover that the BR built variant was never fitted with them. I therefore had a wrong roof for the BR van I was building so wanted an additional one. I then discovered that these kits have been out of production for some years and the only possible source was eBay, from where I was lucky enough to obtain one.
This came with instructions which stated that BR removed the roof vents from the LNER ones in the 1950s. Oops! I also discovered that BR fitted rain strips to the roofs, probably at about the same time. I therefore had to remove the roof vents and plug my carefully drilled holes.
Once painted I'm sure you'd never know.
DSCF1318.jpg

Prototypical I suppose, but a pain none the less, the only consolation being that I hadn't done all the fruit van roofs before I discovered this fact.
The first picture showed up a wonky rain strip which I corrected as seen in the second picture.

The next diversion was putting ratio underframes under a pair of Bachmann / Mainline Fruit vans.
DSCF1320.jpg

Finally for now, here is the group photo.
DSCF1321.jpg

The next Challenge.
DSCF1322.jpg

Regards
Tony.
Last edited by Tony Wilkins on Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Serjt-Dave

Postby Serjt-Dave » Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:51 am

All looking very good Tony. Doesn't Rumney Models do a replacement chassis for those tank wagons?

All Best

Dave

Noel

Postby Noel » Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:26 am

Serjt-Dave wrote:All looking very good Tony. Doesn't Rumney Models do a replacement chassis for those tank wagons?

Not Rumney, as far as I know. I suspect you may be thinking of the Masokits sprung subframe and detailing fret for the Airfix/Dapol kit. I assume these are still available - I haven't checked though. I have had the one in my 'to do' heap for quite a while...
Regards
Noel

Tony Wilkins

Postby Tony Wilkins » Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:30 pm

Noel wrote:
Serjt-Dave wrote:All looking very good Tony. Doesn't Rumney Models do a replacement chassis for those tank wagons?

Not Rumney, as far as I know. I suspect you may be thinking of the Masokits sprung subframe and detailing fret for the Airfix/Dapol kit. I assume these are still available - I haven't checked though. I have had the one in my 'to do' heap for quite a while...

Even if they were still available, I don't fancy building twenty of them that way. There will be quite enough work involved doing them the way I have planed, more of which anon. I also considered the Heljan offerings which looked the part, but that would have worked out a bit pricey and they would also need conversion to S4. I wonder if anyone has tried one? As I already had some 30 odd Airfix kits in store from way back, when they could be had for about 30p each, I decided to stick with plan A and use those. Some parts have suffered a bit over time.
DSCF1326.jpg

These two solebars were the worst example, they had somehow turned sideways in the box, which wasn't wide enough to accommodate them and some of the mouldings are not that crisp, but I have more than enough decent bits to make a respectable rake of 20. The rest of the parts will go in the spares bin.
Regards
Tony.

Tony Wilkins

Postby Tony Wilkins » Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:22 pm

As usual things didn't quite go to plan. This is how far I got with the tank wagons.
DSCF1323.jpg

Whilst looking for some parts for the tank wagons, which I didn't find, I unearthed a box containing some half built 16ton mineral wagons that I started way back in 1978. To these I added a couple outstanding from the correction pile caused by a lack of information at the time I built them. This has been referred to early on in this thread. So I decided to progress these instead as I thought they had been waiting long enough.
DSCF1334.jpg

DSCF1335.jpg

Originally Airfix kits, the above have been altered to represent the Diagram 1/102 variant. Those with paint on were originally built with an incorrect underframe and that partly numbered was when I discovered my error. The only way to correct this was to replace the sides of the original wagon with new sides with top doors creating a Dia 1/108. I thus ended up with a new Dia 1/102 wagon with painted sides and unpainted ends. Matching the ends with the weathered sides is going to be tricky.
A pair of Dia 1/108 wagons.
DSCF1336.jpg

One of the things that has bugged me for some time is that if you look at almost any coal train in the 1960s era, a sizable number will be of riveted construction. As a general rule about 10% of the 16 ton mineral wagon fleet was riveted at that time. This was something I had begun to address, but had only achieved a grand total of one so far. This was an ERG "kit" for an LNER 16 ton riveted mineral wagon, which I mounted on an Airfix underframe.
These will go some way toward restoring the balance.
DSCF1338.jpg

These are Parkside kits on Airfix underframes to represent the Dia 1/105 variant.
I also built 6 of them as intended to Dia 1/109.
DSCF1339.jpg

DSCF1340.jpg

The last one has the pressed end door and I need more of them like this.
DSCF1341.jpg

The Parkside kit can be built with either end door versions, but if you want the pressed side doors, that is more of a challenge.
For a final variation I also built one of these from a Parkside kit.
DSCF1337.jpg

A SNCF Dia 1/112 wagon. These just about lasted into the mid 1960s but were rapidly disappearing.
This wagon has parts from several sources. The brake levers are particularly distinctive and I used some etched Midland Railway ones as a starting point. The left hand coupling demonstrates why I'm not enamored with screw couplings.This particular example lasted for some years after withdrawal as a store for coal for the Stratford breakdown crane, which can be seen in the background of this picture taken about 1970.
SNCF mineral.jpg

Regards
Tony.

Tony Wilkins

Postby Tony Wilkins » Fri May 27, 2022 6:16 am

Several pages back I explained the problems I had resolving numerous wiring errors and omissions I had created whilst wiring the storage yard baseboards. Well I didn't quite sort them all. Planned visits that had been arranged had been serially postponed due to Covid and wagon building became a distraction. As I put trains together and carried out testing, it became apparent that one of my circuit designs did not function as intended and needed investigating.
With conventional DC control, certain conditions have traditionally caused problems. The reversing loop being a well known one. Another situation concerns double heading trains and dead sections. Since I wished to run double headed trains, especially in the down direction, where I had the longer roads, this needed to be resolved. When parking a train in a (hidden) storage siding, we rely on the loco passing into a dead section of track and thus stopping. The problem with two locos at the head, is that the first loco stops, but the second loco is still powered. When selecting such a train to leave the storage road again, by feeding the power from the outgoing track, only the leading loco will receive power.
Various solutions have been tried to cope with this. Dummy power units being a favourite. DCC offers one solution, but introduces other complications.
Being wedded to analogue DC, I reckoned that it should be possible to devise a circuit to solve this problem although a solution had evaded me for many years. Try as I might, I just could not solve the problem. And then the light bulb moment. What was needed was in effect, an active isolator section.
This was developed in stages and tests showed it did all I required.

THE REQUIREMENTS.
Circuit to work as per a normal storage siding if train single headed.
With a double headed train the following needs to happen.
Train arrives and keeps going until the the second loco clears the isolating gap when both stop, unless the exit road is still set, (for continuous circuiting).
When the exit track is selected and train called, both locos are powered from the exit track.
Quite a list.
One of my mantras learned from my involvement with Heckmondwike, is that wherever possible the operators should not have to think electrics. If the routes are set correctly, the power should be where it is needed and the fewer operations needed to achieve this the better.

After several false starts, a circuit was eventually devised that fulfilled the requirements and a pair were constructed and installed under the layout.
It only became apparent when running trains over the tracks where this circuit was installed, that there was a problem. When the single headed train I was using for testing passed over the isolating gap, it stopped and there it stayed as I could not feed the power in from the exit road. The natural assumption was that I had made an error with the design. I did not try the track where the other circuit was fitted as I assumed it would behave the same. However, Since getting access meant removing several baseboards, this problem was shelved. There was a further problem. The baseboard joint between the two where these circuits were fitted was terrible. Although they meet at the edges, there was at least a 2mm gap toward the middle. This needed sorting out. Just for luck, I thought I would check out the second double header track first. Just as well I did as to my surprise it functioned perfectly as intended. I thus had two nominally identical circuits that obviously weren't.
So before dismantling things, I went through all the possible conditions the faulty road could be set to and made a note of what happened. From this it soon became apparent that one of the relays was not operating as it should. After studying my circuit diagram I suspected I had wired the inputs of both circuits to the same control line, which indeed turned out to be the case.

So a solution to the problem but probably about 50 years too late and of little use to many. I shall explain more fully in the next post.

To sort out the gap, the pair of boards were put together on my desk and a note made of where material needed to be removed. It equated to at least one layer of the ply at the outside edge tapering to zero a foot or so in. I tried a plane, but it was not effective, so used coarse sand paper with a sanding block and much elbow grease. More test fits showed further high spots and these were in turn dealt with. One does need to avoid catching the rail ends with the sandpaper and causing damage. Some needed shortening as a result. I also removed the pattern makers dowels beforehand and had to deepen the holes to get a flush finish when refitting them.
The layout has now been reassembled and tested to my satisfaction during which further rail end adjustments were made. Something I shall be doing for a while I expect.

Regards
Tony.
Last edited by Tony Wilkins on Sat Apr 01, 2023 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tony Wilkins

Postby Tony Wilkins » Fri May 27, 2022 11:55 am

So here is the theoretical circuit diagram.
Double header circuit.JPG

It uses two relays shown as RL1 & RL2. RL3 is an isolator circuit that also happens to be on one of the two PCBs.
The same circuit is used for Down tracks 6 and 8 and the direction of travel is left to right. The center section to be isolated needs to long enough to contain the longest pair of locos likely to be used as double header.
RL1 is a conventional 2 pole change over relay (DPDT).
RL2 on the other hand, is a self latching relay and this version has two coils. This is what makes this circuit possible.
Rather than rely on having a constant feed to hold them energised, self latching relays contain a holding magnet, so only a pulse of electricity to a coil is required to change its state. Further more, the coils are polarity sensitive, so a positive pulse can Set it whilst a negative pulse to the same coil can Reset it. Note the plus and minus markings I have put on the diagram.
Because of this single and double coil versions are available depending on the application. The other thing to note is that this type of relay must not be used with quench diodes across the coil.

So how does it work?
Lets take the simple case of single headed train loco. The loco approaches the isolating section connected to the pole of RL1. Once the last wheel with pickups crosses the gap, the loco looses power and stops.
If the train is to be selected, the appropriate road is set energising RL1 and connecting the isolating section to the exit road.
If both ends of the same road are set, the train will circuit.
So far, so good.
For the Double headed train things get a bit more complex. Assuming such a train is to enter the storage yard, the correct road has been selected but the exit track is not. In this case the road must be prepared for the incoming train by pressing the appropriate Set button on the control panel. This is the biased switch as shown to the lower left of the diagram.
This action "Sets" RL2, connecting the isolating section to the incoming track and feeds an indicator on the panel confirming this.
Note that the Reset coil of RL2 is connected to the exit running rail utilising traction power via a pair of changeable links that allow the polarity to be changed if it happens to be wrong. Bear in mind that this was all experimental when I installed it and I needed to allow for mistakes.
When the locos approach the isolating section nothing happens until the lead wheel bridges the second gap, whereon the Reset coil receives a feed and resets RL2 isolating both locos and extinguishing the indicator.
If the train is to be selected then the situation is identical to that of the single loco above.
For this to work all the locos obviously need to be wired the correct way round.

I would have liked the system to have set itself for incoming Double headers automatically, but have not thus far come up with simple, reliable means. It therefore requires a little more vigilance on the part of the storage yard operator.
Regards
Tony.
Last edited by Tony Wilkins on Sat Apr 01, 2023 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Sat May 28, 2022 9:31 am

Thank you for the information Tony. The application is not one that I am ever likely to need but I have learnt about self latching relays which I have not come across before and that small part of the circuit has other applications which could be useful for future plans. Learn something new everyday.

Tony Wilkins wrote:Being wedded to analogue DC

I also use DC control since I can make it do everything I want but the system generally seems to be in decline.

Terry Bendall

JFS

Postby JFS » Sun May 29, 2022 8:42 am

Tony Wilkins wrote:RL2 on the other hand, is a self latching relay and this version has two coils.
Further more, the coils are polarity sensitive,
Tony.

Hello Tony and many thanks for the interesting circuit and description. Can you post a link to a source for these relays please?

Best Wishes,

zebedeesknees

Postby zebedeesknees » Mon May 30, 2022 6:49 pm

JFS wrote:Can you post a link to a source for these relays please?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from ... s&_sacat=0
Ted.
(A purists' purist)

Tony Wilkins

Postby Tony Wilkins » Tue May 31, 2022 1:24 pm

Hi Howard.
I got mine from RS item code 515-571P
https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/signal-r ... %3Atrue%7D
They are smaller than they look in the picture.
Regards
Tony.

JFS

Postby JFS » Tue May 31, 2022 6:16 pm

Tony Wilkins wrote:I got mine from RS item code 515-571P

Many thanks Tony - I had not come across the polarised version - very useful!

Best Wishes,

Tony Wilkins

Postby Tony Wilkins » Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:13 pm

Reverting to wagons for the moment, here is a selection and some photos of progress.
DSCF1347.jpg

With the Matt paint finish it was necessary to cover a large enough area with gloss varnish to get the lettering to adhere.
These were done with HMRS Methfix transfers and the wagon numbers were applied individually, whereas the rest were applied in small blocks.
The plywood van was much easier to do than the planked van with the planks running vertically, one needs to miss the over scale gaps and try to obtain an even spacing between the lettering. Examples can be found where the numbers cross the plank joins, but I elected not to try to replicate this. These are just two of the batch of twenty and there is little point in showing more of the same.
It was a case of doing the batch one character at a time and letting that transfer dry thoroughly before attempting the next or risk the previous ones lifting off, which still happened occasionally. Once finished a coat of satin varnish was applied to protect the transfers
DSCF1344.jpg

The SNCF dia 1/112 wagon shown previously.
For the mineral wagons I generally use Fox transfers as they are much quicker to apply. The above result is not quite an accurate replica of that in the picture shown earlier, but is the best I can do with what I have available. Some weathering will be required.
The 21Ton mineral wagon is a Dia 1/110 kit of Ian Kirk vintage, one of several I have built. Although only 1000 were built, they turned up fairly frequently in coal traffic.
DSCF1345.jpg

My first Dia 1/109 riveted mineral wagon has been painted and numbered. The transfers are by Fox except for the white stripe, which is Methfix. I notice the carrier film has yet to be soaked off.
The Dia 1/102 16T mineral wagon has been numbered and the ends suitably rusted to sort of match the sides.
DSCF1346.jpg

Regards
Tony.

Tony Wilkins

Postby Tony Wilkins » Wed Oct 05, 2022 4:48 pm

I'm a bit shocked to realise that it is over 3 months since my last post.
To some extent it has been more of the same since then, with further mineral wagons and vans going through the works for painting and lettering, so I didn't see a lot of point in just posting more of the same.
However, recently there has been a bit of variation in wagon types, so here are some pictures.
DSCF2347.jpg

A 22 1/2 ton LNER Grain wagon, an elderly Parkside kit. Hopper wagons generally provide a challenge when it comes to compensation and this was worse than most. It is the first wagon on which I have used sprung axleguards, as I could not see any other way of doing it.
I had to modify a set of Bill Bedford's to be able to get the axle centers right.
DSCF2348.jpg

Next an LMS 20T brake van with suitable branding for the early 1960s, due to the lack of side duckets. These were often to be seen on coal trains on the Lea valley line. This is one of a pair I scratch built originally for Heckmondwike.
DSCF2349.jpg

The final wagon is something of an oddball.
DSCF2350.jpg

Yes, it is the Triang rendition of the 55T Trestrol EC. In common with many offerings in the Triang range if contains several compromises.
The well had been shortened by 2 sections, (there should be 10 ribs in the well, not 8), but if these are put back in, the overall length will be too long.
What you see here is the correct overall length, but the well one section too short. I had to do a cut and shut on the well section to add one section and with the two wagons I had, this was the only viable option. The green section came from one of the Triang Battle station vehicles and the well had been modified such that I could not use that section of the well. Extra length was added to the outer ends of the bogies in order to house the tension lock couplings. Some judicious hacking would be needed to remove this if the well were to be made the correct length.
DSCF1348.jpg

DSCF1350.jpg

The wagon should have a Trestle, but the trestles were removable so the wagons could be used to carry a heavy load. Well that's my excuse for the moment.

In some respects things don't seem to have changed a great deal.
My latest acquisition came via my Stepson who found it on Market place for a very cheap price. As he'd already bought it, I didn't have the heart to say no.
DSCF1351.jpg

Its an orrible ornby station.
It was in a bit of a state and still needs some further repairs, but at least it gives my DMUs somewhere to stop, so will do for now.
Regards
Tony.

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:48 pm

I like the footbridge - looks quite delicate. Is that a Hornby one as well? I remember the platforms as well,they went with Super 4 track, but mine were from an earlier age that went with Standard track. Even bigger and chunkier...

Philip

Tony Wilkins

Postby Tony Wilkins » Thu Oct 06, 2022 4:13 pm

Hi Philip.
Yes, it is by Hornby and it is still current. https://uk.hornby.com/products/footbridge-r076
The footbridge was one of the things that needed repair as one side had only one leg intact out of four. I must admit that it generally isn't that bad, but it is too tall even for where I have placed it, let alone on a platform. A keen modeller could probably make something decent from it.
Regards
Tony.

Tony Wilkins

Postby Tony Wilkins » Sat Dec 03, 2022 4:49 pm

Since the previous post, the station has grown in length a bit. At a local model railway show in October I found a secondhand Hornby county halt set for a good price and subsequently decided to purchase a further 8 platform sections and fencing direct from Hornby to achieve the required length, or almost, anyway. Some of the left overs were butchered to create a set of steps for entry to the Up platform. The ticket collectors box at the top of the steps is a repurposed fog signalman's hut. I also filled in the holes in the subway sections properly and rearranged the various platform sections to achieve what I wanted. This wasn't easy as much of the original platform sections had been joined together with excessive amounts of super glue and the only way to separate them with minimal damage was with a razor saw. The resulting station now looks like this.
DSCF2358.jpg

Some may wonder why I didn't use the second building on the Up platform, but it was too deep for the available space and had a rear door where one wasn't wanted, access only being available from the platform side. As these platforms are only temporary, I was unwilling to spend lots of time altering things for no real benefit. These platforms are too wide, 1mm too high relative to rail level and as for the curved ramps, the less said the better.
The small hut opposite the signal box was kindly donated to this project by one on my fellow EMAG members being surplus to requirements. Its final position yet to be determined as most of the scenic areas are as yet missing.
Anyway, it came a a bit of a shock to discover that it was over a year ago that I last posted a video of the layout and I felt it was time to put that right.
So I have put together a selection showing a "typical" sequence of trains an observer may have seen although not necessarily on any a given day.
Beginning with the Up line express.

Followed by the local stopping train.

Then two freight trains.

Then a down line procession.
Beginning with a stranger in the camp.

Regards
Tony.

Dave Holt

Postby Dave Holt » Sat Dec 03, 2022 6:15 pm

Tony.
Good to see some further, if temporary, progress with the layout. Some seriously impressive trains in the videos. The DMUs certainly don't need sound chips.
Dave.

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:51 pm

Dave Holt wrote:Some seriously impressive trains in the videos.

Indeed and from a period that is not often seen in model form. Very well done Tony.

Terry Bendall

Andrew Bluett-Duncan

Postby Andrew Bluett-Duncan » Sun Dec 04, 2022 4:56 pm

Hello Tony
Just looked at all of the videos, including the ones you sent me earlier, and looked at your work on the rolling stock. It really is very impressive indeed. The smoothness with which your stock runs through the point work is just beautiful to behold, and the sheer size and scale of your project is a bit jaw-dropping.

Its a 10 out of 10 from me!
Warm regards
Andrew

Tony Wilkins

Postby Tony Wilkins » Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:08 pm

Thanks for the nice comments.
Not all my trains are long though.

The hopper wagons just had the wheels and couplings replaced and seem to run reliably.
Regards
Tony.

Return to “Layouts and Operations”