Brimsdown-The last grand project.

Tell us about your layout, where you put it, how you built it, how you operate it.
Tony Wilkins
Posts: 321
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:57 pm

Re: Brimsdown-The last grand project.

Postby Tony Wilkins » Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:28 am

barrowroad wrote:Hi Tony,

I've found the invoice. They were purchased via Amazon from Hobby Components in Chesterfield reference HCPROT0048 20mm Pin 2.54mm Pitch header. They work for me.
Here is the link. https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=hobby+comp ... nb_sb_noss
Robin

Thanks for that, I will look into it.
Tony.

bobwallison
Posts: 56
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:42 pm

Re: Brimsdown-The last grand project.

Postby bobwallison » Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:55 pm

Hi guys.

Thanks for all the responses - plenty of options there to mull over. Problems with Tortoise switches duly noted.

I think in the short term I'll ask for replacements under DCC's lifetime guarantee, then I'll have a better idea of noise levels from current production units.

Regards,
Bob

Tony Wilkins
Posts: 321
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:57 pm

Re: Brimsdown-The last grand project.

Postby Tony Wilkins » Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:17 am

barrowroad wrote:Hi Tony,

I've found the invoice. They were purchased via Amazon from Hobby Components in Chesterfield reference HCPROT0048 20mm Pin 2.54mm Pitch header. They work for me.
Here is the link. https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=hobby+comp ... nb_sb_noss
Robin

Thank you Robin for the reference. I ended up purchasing direct from Hobby Components https://hobbycomponents.com/other/581-4 ... -pins-male rather than through Amazon along with some small Printed Circuit Boards they do, more of which anon.
I opted for a different approach to using them as I prefer to use multi strand cable and in particular Ribbon Cable to a tag strip one end and a small piece of Vero strip board to make a header for the connector end.
DSCF0871.jpg

DSCF0870.jpg

DSCF0872.jpg

Although I have not posted for a while, there has been much progress, mostly with wiring.
I have progressed onto a second Storage yard board and fitted the headers to the Cobalt motors on this one.
Sorry about the wood dust, a result of drilling holes for the wiring.
DSCF0869.jpg

I subsequently retro fitted those on the first board as well, which was a bit of a job with them already installed.
I had considered some temporary wiring just to get some track live, but decided against it.
Temporary things have a habit of becoming long term or permanent. I therefore decided to do the job properly as the less I have to revisit things later, the better. Those of a nervous disposition when it comes to wiring may wish to look away temporarily.


DSCF0864.jpg

DSCF0866.jpg

DSCF0868.jpg

The small PCB under the center of the baseboard is one of Hobby Components prototyping boards and I chose to use these rather than Vero strip for my relay cards. For those of you into such things, they are available in a variety of colours at very reasonable prices.
DSCF0867.jpg

These control the power feed to the point motors and are custom wired for each storage yard board. There is a standard PCB layout, but the number of relays varies to suit the required number of point motors for that board. These PCBs are designed to hold 4 x 16 pin ICs, so I have had to modify them substantially to accommodate 8, or in this case 7.
Mention of standards, the wiring for this bears a close resemblance to Green Street, my previous layout, although I have tried to simplify things a bit, it doesn't really show. Much of the documentation for this project has been derived from that for Green Street, and this has taken quite a lot of time to produce.
Indeed lately I seem to be spending as much time on the planning and documentation as I the actual wiring. However this side of any layout is important as it can save much time and effort later on and is often in my view sadly neglected.
The wiring of any layout needs to be able to cater for the operational requirements and thus pre-planning is essential. Although I am starting with the storage sidings, it became apparent that the entry and exit wiring would depend on the scenic sections next to them. This then led to planning the scenic track wiring, which led in turn to the signalling diagram and associated pointwork.
Christmas preparations have also taken some time this month.
Regards
Tony.

Tony Wilkins
Posts: 321
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:57 pm

Re: Brimsdown-The last grand project.

Postby Tony Wilkins » Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:56 am

Well, a significant milestone was reached last night. After wiring up the connector for one end of the first baseboard, it was possible to test the first pair electrically and run a loco successfully from end to end and through several of the turnouts. Throughout the loco performed faultlessly although several track joints in need of attention were noted including some at the baseboard joint. Considering that I had not cleaned the track and it was covered in PVA glue in places, I am most encouraged.
Regards
Tony.

User avatar
Martin Wynne
Posts: 823
Joined: Mon May 14, 2012 4:27 pm

Re: Brimsdown-The last grand project.

Postby Martin Wynne » Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:35 am

+1
40 years developing Templot. And counting ...


Return to “Layouts and Operations”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest