Bristol Barrow Road

Tell us about your layout, where you put it, how you built it, how you operate it.
barrowroad

Re: Bristol Barrow Road

Postby barrowroad » Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:57 pm

I have just fitted a decoder to a modified Bachmann Jubilee 45572 Eire which is owned by David Clarke. The model has P4 Alan Gibson Wheels, new connecting rods and a Dave Franks Stanier tender chassis so apart from David's excellent weathering job this engine is straight out of the box. David here is the video you requested.

Dave Holt

Postby Dave Holt » Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:37 pm

I'm sure David will be very pleased. It looks to run smoothly and reliably - better, in fact, than my carefully hand crafted Brassmasters version. Sickening, isn't it?
Dave.

barrowroad

Postby barrowroad » Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:20 am

It is Dave.

One more passing the shed.

Last edited by barrowroad on Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

barrowroad

Postby barrowroad » Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:21 am

This was the first circuit completed by the train. I'm not sure what caused the short stop in the storage sidings but it completed five circuits without further interruption.

Serjt-Dave

Postby Serjt-Dave » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:54 pm

Fantastic to watch there, making me very jealous I'm only about half way around my layout. In the third video {one more passing the shed} there's a stool/chair in the background {looks like it used to belong to Dave Allen}, may I ask where you acquired it from please?

All Best

Dave

barrowroad

Postby barrowroad » Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:55 pm

Dave, the padded stool in the second video was purchased from Dunelm last year in a sale. It goes up and down so my youngest grand daughter insisted that I bought it - who am I to argue! The others are fold up chairs purchased from that Scandinavian superstore IKEA.

Dave Franks

Postby Dave Franks » Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:41 pm

I have to agree, the Bachmann Jubilee is a good runner and even better when fitted with a Mashima motor. This one of mine 'Alberta' has Gibson wheels, modified valvegear, CSB tender chassis, side control on the bogie. No extra weight has been added but as seen in the video it can take about thirty coaches but once weathered lightly and coaled it'll only be hauling the nine coach Waverley Express.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lZgnIybjac

Thirty coaches!!!! yes but half of them have had brass bearings fitted and the rest have had a truck tuner rattled about in the bogie and some Carrs grease added. Some people just stuff more and more weight in a loco but I like to make sure the stock runs free first, it's much kinder to the motor.
Incidently I ran out of coaches at thirty, the Jub might have managed more but they aren't regauged yet.

Dave Franks

barrowroad

Postby barrowroad » Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:38 pm

That's very impressive Dave. Which Mashima motor have you used?

Robin

Dave Franks

Postby Dave Franks » Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:56 am

Hi Robin, I will need to check but I think either a 1424 or 1426 both very good motors, I laid a stock in a wee while ago and have fitted a few RTR locos with them. Sometimes all it needs is a collar turned up to fit over the front motor boss and the worm bored out to 2mm, the rear motor boss should clip in place on the cradle though one or two have needed a wee bit pared away in the cradle.

Cheers,

Dave Franks

barrowroad

Postby barrowroad » Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:21 am

Thanks Dave. Useful information.

Robin

steve howe

Postby steve howe » Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:19 pm

Dave Franks wrote:I have to agree, the Bachmann Jubilee is a good runner and even better when fitted with a Mashima motor. This one of mine 'Alberta' has Gibson wheels, modified valvegear, CSB tender chassis, side control on the bogie. No extra weight has been added but as seen in the video it can take about thirty coaches but once weathered lightly and coaled it'll only be hauling the nine coach Waverley Express.

Thirty coaches!!!! yes but half of them have had brass bearings fitted and the rest have had a truck tuner rattled about in the bogie and some Carrs grease added. Some people just stuff more and more weight in a loco but I like to make sure the stock runs free first, it's much kinder to the motor.
Incidently I ran out of coaches at thirty, the Jub might have managed more but they aren't regauged yet.

Dave Franks

Most impressive :thumb Where's Tony Wright when you need him? :twisted:

Steve

Le Corbusier

Postby Le Corbusier » Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:57 pm

steve howe wrote:
Dave Franks wrote:I have to agree, the Bachmann Jubilee is a good runner and even better when fitted with a Mashima motor. This one of mine 'Alberta' has Gibson wheels, modified valvegear, CSB tender chassis, side control on the bogie. No extra weight has been added but as seen in the video it can take about thirty coaches but once weathered lightly and coaled it'll only be hauling the nine coach Waverley Express.

Dave Franks

Steve

It would be fun to share the video on Wright Writes .... :D as a contribution to the debate on 'pulling power' ..... with no particular comment attached - just left hanging there ;) .... a bit like the old essay question ..... 'significant weight in 4mm scale is essential to pulling a reasonable rake of coaches - discuss'
Tim Lee

steve howe

Postby steve howe » Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:00 pm

Yes, but of course, P4 will never work... ;)

Steve

Le Corbusier

Postby Le Corbusier » Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:12 pm

steve howe wrote:Yes, but of course, P4 will never work... ;)

Steve

Might be wrong but I thought Wharfeside was EM? ..... Barrow Road on the other hand . . . . .
Tim Lee

Dave Franks

Postby Dave Franks » Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:04 pm

Le Corbusier wrote:

Steve

Might be wrong but I thought Wharfeside was EM? ..... Barrow Road on the other hand . . . . .

Tis correct Tim but I try to be as accurate in my work as P4 if you get my drift.... :thumb

Dave Franks

Dave Franks

Postby Dave Franks » Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:19 pm

Steve

But of course we know it works so that's all that matters. I've built a fair few P4 locos for people, locos like Royal Scots and WD 2-10-0s down to little 0-4-0s and as far as I know they are still working. There will always be people who poo,poo, P4 and EM, I have many friends who model either or both or all gauges and we all get on very well.

Dave F.

Le Corbusier

Postby Le Corbusier » Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:39 pm

Dave Franks wrote:
Le Corbusier wrote:

Steve

Tis correct Tim but I try to be as accurate in my work as P4 if you get my drift.... :thumb

Dave Franks

If I get to be half as good I shall be well chuffed .... whether it be EM, P4 or whisper it quietly 00 ;)
Tim Lee

Steve Carter

Postby Steve Carter » Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:03 pm

Dave Franks wrote:

Steve

But of course we know it works so that's all that matters. I've built a fair few P4 locos for people, locos like Royal Scots and WD 2-10-0s down to little 0-4-0s and as far as I know they are still working. There will always be people who poo,poo, P4 and EM, I have many friends who model either or both or all gauges and we all get on very well.

Dave F.

:thumb
Steve Carter

Dave Franks

Postby Dave Franks » Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:18 pm

Duplicate post for some reason.

Dave F.
Last edited by Dave Franks on Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dave Franks

Postby Dave Franks » Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:20 pm

Le Corbusier wrote:
steve howe wrote:

Dave Franks

Steve

It would be fun to share the video on Wright Writes .... :D as a contribution to the debate on 'pulling power' ..... with no particular comment attached - just left hanging there ;) .... a bit like the old essay question ..... 'significant weight in 4mm scale is essential to pulling a reasonable rake of coaches - discuss'

Maybe Tim but I like to keep me head just peeking over the parapet just in case I need to duck quick. ;)

Anyway this is getting away from Robin's thread which I've been following with much interest.

Dave F.

Le Corbusier

Postby Le Corbusier » Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:28 pm

Dave Franks wrote:
Maybe Tim but I like to keep me head just peeking over the parapet just in case I need to duck quick. ;)

Dave F.

Very wise .... but it is an enjoyable thought exercise non the less :D
Tim Lee

steve howe

Postby steve howe » Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:32 pm

Dave Franks wrote:
Le Corbusier wrote:
steve howe wrote:[quote="Dave Franks"rake of coaches - discuss'

Anyway this is getting away from Robin's thread which I've been following with much interest.

Dave F.

Agreed, but it had me fooled, I thought it was P4! :D

Steve

barrowroad

Postby barrowroad » Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:59 pm

Engine Shed Sidings signal box is now finished and has taken it's place on the layout. The box is constructed from a Churchward Models etched brass kit I picked up from Ebay, and contains a detailed interior from Springside items with armchair and signalmen from Modelu. The final items, shown in the photos, are the two downpipes which are attached using Modelu cast iron holderbats. Only the two nameboards to make.

IMG_20190915_160827415.jpg

IMG_20190915_160436745.jpg

IMG_20190915_161021758.jpg

IMG_20190915_161055292.jpg

IMG_20190928_121515935.jpg

IMG_20190928_121603432.jpg

IMG_20190928_121630518.jpg

IMG_20190915_160911298_BURST000_COVER.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Le Corbusier

Postby Le Corbusier » Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:47 pm

Robin,

I would be interested to know how easy you think the Churchward box might be to adapt?

There would be an element of 'cut & shut' but it strikes me that it might well be suitable for the Monsaldale box ... The upper rear window being relocated to the non stair end?

Monsal Dale SB.jpg
Monsal Dale20160117_10103171.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim Lee

barrowroad

Postby barrowroad » Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:21 pm

Tim, The Churchward Model contains a variety of different etched wall panels with left and right window and door positions.It also has etches for the different period windows. Looking at your photos of the Monsal Dale box it looks the same width but different length [ by one window ]. With careful cutting of the front and back panels I think you can adapt the kit to suit this box. One word of caution - the roof is a fold up structure and will need some thought to shorten it's length. Not impossible though.
Robin

Return to “Layouts and Operations”