Bodmin General (1955)

Tell us about your layout, where you put it, how you built it, how you operate it.
chrisf

Re: Bodmin General (1955)

Postby chrisf » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:08 am

Jeremy

Would you remind me, please, which issue of the Constructor this is and I will look it out.

Chris

Jeremy Good

Postby Jeremy Good » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:51 pm

Chris

The photo is on page 519 of the October 1984 edition.

Jeremy

chrisf

Postby chrisf » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:52 am

Thanks, Jeremy. The extra coach looks to be an E157. It has deeper windows than the E147 and tapers above the waist. The E147 is as near as dammit vertical above the waist.

Chris

KeithThomas

Postby KeithThomas » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:52 pm

Hello - sorry to butt into this rather long conversation about E147s & E157s (I've no idea what you are talking about!) but what drew me to this thread was where it started off, a long time ago, talking about Bodmin track layout! Like Jeremy I am looking at a home project based on Bodmin. My question is, has anyone got a copy of the 40ft to 1" plan or does anyone one know where I can get one? In the original North London article the plan came from the District Civil Engineer at Plymouth but I doubt he still exists!

ianpenberth

Postby ianpenberth » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:20 pm

Hello Keith.
Have a look at the Wiltshire County archive in Chippenham library. A lot of GW stuff from Paddington and Swindon has ended up there.
Good hunting!
Ian
PenBits Model Railways - Diesel bogie springing and detailing

KeithThomas

Postby KeithThomas » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:44 pm

Thank's Ian I will look into that.

Jeremy Good

Postby Jeremy Good » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:16 pm

There also appears to be a copy of an 1877 plan available from the Network Rail Media Storehouse (https://nr.mediastorehouse.com/) - it is labelled as Bodmin Road but is clearly General, as is one of the building plans.

I haven't committed to a download to this yet but it might be quite useful for the key dimensions.

Jeremy

KeithThomas

Postby KeithThomas » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:15 pm

Yes you were right Ian the Wiltshire County archive in Chippenham did have a 40ft plan from 1917 of Bodmin General. Not the first place you would look but it is recorded on the PRO as being there.
Thanks for that - wouldn't it be nice if all railway records were in the same place! (and cheaper - £15 for a photographed copy!)

Tony Wilkins

Postby Tony Wilkins » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:03 am

Hi Keith.
I'm glad you have managed to obtain a copy of the Bodmin 40' plan. We did indeed obtain a copy from the Plymouth records office, but where the NLG's copy ultimately wound up I do not know.
Things can turn up in the most unexpected places. I found an official photo of my chosen station building as part of my researches in the collection at my local library quite by chance and was even entrusted to take the plate glass negatives to their photo printer some miles away. Those were the days.
Regards
Tony.
Inspiration from the past. Dreams for the future.

KeithThomas

Postby KeithThomas » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:56 pm

Hi Tony
I wondered whether the NLG still had archive info on Bodmin. The 40ft plan I got is a water supply drawing (see attached). They could only give me a photographic copy and as such I have now got to scale it by getting some OS co-ordinates or some other measurements. I'm not that far from Bodmin so they may see me pacing up and down on the platform when they reopen in February!
Keith
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Martin Wynne

Postby Martin Wynne » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:14 pm

KeithThomas wrote:I have now got to scale it by getting some OS co-ordinates or some other measurements.

Hi Keith,

OS 25" map here: http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=18 ... rs=168&b=1

If you use that URL in Templot, it will make the screenshot for you and scale it to 4mm/ft. See background > maps menu item.

You could then drag your higher-res map over it to match the scale (temporarily make it transparent).

If you want to use the OS map for track planning, I suggest using zoom level 19 instead:

http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=19 ... rs=168&b=1

and making multiple screenshots.

regards,

Martin.
40+ years developing Templot. Enjoy using Templot? Join Templot Club. Be a Templot supporter.

steve howe

Postby steve howe » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:15 pm

RichardS wrote:This a thread I shall follow with interest. The Wadebridge to Bodmin Road line with its attendant branches I find quite absorbing.
Too absorbing, in fact!
My own research phase for a model of the line has now probably lasted 10 years or more. #sigh

You could probably re-create Grogley Junction in a relatively modest space with traffic passing on the Bodmin -Wadebridge line and the additional interest of the Ruthern Bridge branch joining via the headshunt on the old B&W alignment. Of course you would have to like modelling trees!

I've always felt Ruthern Bridge terminus would make a fascinating model - but then I've always had limited horizons.. :-D :roll:

An exhaustive (and exhausting!) video history of the line is here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBYe1_Rg9hs

Steve

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:35 am

steve howe wrote:
RichardS wrote:This a thread I shall follow with interest. The Wadebridge to Bodmin Road line with its attendant branches I find quite absorbing.
Too absorbing, in fact!
My own research phase for a model of the line has now probably lasted 10 years or more. #sigh

You could probably re-create Grogley Junction in a relatively modest space with traffic passing on the Bodmin -Wadebridge line and the additional interest of the Ruthern Bridge branch joining via the headshunt on the old B&W alignment. Of course you would have to like modelling trees!

Why not while away an hour or two reading this?

http://grogleyjunction.blogspot.co.uk/

:-)
Flymo
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

steve howe

Postby steve howe » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:53 am

Why not while away an hour or two reading this?

Hmmm......
Nothing like the Grogley Junction I know! :D

ianpenberth

Postby ianpenberth » Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:25 pm

Jeremy Good wrote:There also appears to be a copy of an 1877 plan available from the Network Rail Media Storehouse (https://nr.mediastorehouse.com/)
Jeremy

Jeremy, thanks for that link. I've captured the drawing showing some sections of the building at Bodmin Road, which I'd not seen in previous searches. Seems it's always worth another shake of the bucket :) . I had a rummage through the NR archives at Swindon several years ago: there were drawings of Bodmin North, also mis-labelled as Bodmin Road, but they haven't as yet resurfaced at mediastorehouse.

Keith, pleased to see you found a plan at Wiltshire Record Office. My download from Media Storehouse was also £15, but plus VAT. It came as a 300dpi scanned image of good quality - certainly the written dimensions were clearly legible. OK for one-offs like this but a bit steep for a full research project.
Ian
PenBits Model Railways - Diesel bogie springing and detailing

RichardS

Postby RichardS » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:09 pm

steve howe wrote: You could probably re-create Grogley Junction in a relatively modest space with traffic passing on the Bodmin -Wadebridge line and the additional interest of the Ruthern Bridge branch joining via the headshunt on the old B&W alignment. Of course you would have to like modelling trees!

I've always felt Ruthern Bridge terminus would make a fascinating model - but then I've always had limited horizons.. :-D :roll:

An exhaustive (and exhausting!) video history of the line is here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBYe1_Rg9hs

Steve

Flymo748 wrote:Why not while away an hour or two reading this?
http://grogleyjunction.blogspot.co.uk/
:-)
Flymo

Thanks Steve and Paul.

I'm familiar with the Grogley Junction blog having followed it for some time and corresponded with the builder. At Scaleforum last year, I nudged a chair in the cafe and unexpectedly came face to face with Ian himself. It isn't like the real Grogley, more of a what could have been I think. Some decent modelling and that's the important thing.

My desire is to model Boscarne, or rather an aberration of it. But I've decided not to do it in 18.83 - it's too big a project for a P4 rookie like me. I am nevertheless a disciple of the 'finer-scale ethos.' Trees - yep. Them. Next. (Mrs S is being lined up for these in due course - she makes Christmas Wreathes and it can't be much different.)

My P4 endeavours will be limited to something more modest; and supporting the local area group.

I'll view the You Tube later - thanks for the link.
Richard

Phil O

Postby Phil O » Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:43 pm

As Bodmin General is still extant you can use Google earth and get basic dimensions using the ruler.

Bodmin General.png

Phil
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tony Wilkins

Postby Tony Wilkins » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:44 pm

KeithThomas wrote:Hi Tony
I wondered whether the NLG still had archive info on Bodmin. The 40ft plan I got is a water supply drawing (see attached). They could only give me a photographic copy and as such I have now got to scale it by getting some OS co-ordinates or some other measurements. I'm not that far from Bodmin so they may see me pacing up and down on the platform when they reopen in February!
Keith

Hi Keith.
Whilst there is an archive, there was far more published in the Model Railway constructor series of articles than I have. As I say, the map disappeared after the layout was build. The only thing I have is the copy that was drawn from it that appeared in the August 81 issue, which may be of use to you. The grid squares are I believe 1 foot. There is some distortion due to the plan going across the page fold, but should not be a major problem.
Bodmin map.png

Regards
Tony.

KeithThomas

Postby KeithThomas » Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:34 pm

Hey guys I'm overwhelmed by your help! :thumb
Thanks Martin for the instructions about adding maps and overlays. I bought a copy of Templot a few years ago for £40 before it was free, so thanks for all your hard work (I know what it's like, I've worked as a programmer). I've had a dabble with it but now it's got to get serious! Thanks also to Phil and Tony for your contributions and suggestions. I'm sure I have enough now to get started. My wife is always asking (or telling me) why don't you get on and build something!

If you could please email me the biggest version you have of that plan Tony, that would be great. I'm not sure if Templot can manage that wiggle in the middle though!

Tony Wilkins

Postby Tony Wilkins » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:17 pm

Hi Keith.
Right click on the image and select the save image option. The scan is fairly high resolution anyway and will produce an image larger than the original. If this is not suitable I will scan it at even higher resolution for you, but I don't expect it to produce any more detail than this one. If you project the tracks across the wobble, you will not be far out.
Regards
Tony.

ginger_giant

Postby ginger_giant » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:39 pm

Hi Jeremy

I also have and dreams of building a model of Bodmin General the origins of which start back in the early 1980s when a Model Railway Club, of which I was member, decided to build a club layout based on Bodmin Road. This prompted me to look at this area in more detail for my own interests and in so doing I discovered Bodmin General. I thought this station had everything for a small branch line terminus including a busy timetable with exchange goods traffic, china clay workings and passenger traffic, all possible in 12' x 2' area. I thought I'd found the ideal station to model.

At that time the North London Group's model of Bodmin General model was just starting to appear in the magazines. Along with the opus of articles in the Model Railway Constructor I was getting more convinced about building a model. Then when I saw their layout in the flesh I was overawed at the standard of modelling. Rather then seeing the North London Groups model as a benchmark, setting standards that I should aim to achieve, it did the opposite, it put me off even starting. Daft I know but I felt I would be disappointed with what ever I managed to create in comparison to the North London Groups model.

Since coming back to the hobby after many years away, I've still not plucked up the courage to model an actual location but if I ever do Bodmin General would definitely be the location.

Not sure I can add much to the previous offerings in this thread but I''ll watch with interest and add comments if I can.

Tony Wilkins

Postby Tony Wilkins » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:02 pm

Sorry to learn that the NLG's model of Bodmin put you off having a go yourself. I am always mindful of how ones efforts may be viewed by others. As you comment, the effect can be positive or negative. We always hoped that we would encourage people to aim that bit higher and possibly surprise themselves, but remember that this layout was a group effort by a team of talented modellers, fresh from the success of Heckmondwike. Even though Bodmin is still on the exhibition circuit, the group has not managed to build a successor, individual NLG members preferring to concentrate on their own projects. Bodmin General does seem to be a very popular modelling subject for all the reasons you mention.
My own tread on Brimsdown was started in an effort to pass on information for the record and hope others enjoy it. I am only too aware that I have set myself very high standards that others may find difficult to obtain, but I do hope they inspire others to have a go none the less.
Regards
Tony.

Jeremy Good

Re: Bodmin General (1955 to 1965)

Postby Jeremy Good » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:24 pm

Well, it's been a while since I started this thread and thought it about time I did an update.

The research and planning faltered a little earlier in the year and I have had other ideas vying for space in the railway room. These have been mostly banished to the "possible future projects" pile and I've been beginning to get my head around what I need to do to make Bodmin General a reality. There was also a little concern about the number of other possible Bodmin models in progress and comparisons with the NLG's version but I'm not going to let that distract me!

Some progress is being made with Tempting the track plan thanks to a willing volunteer who has offered to help - I suspect mainly because he's fed up of hearing about all my ideas and wants me to get on with something (thanks, Mark) - and I was fortunate to be able to acquire many of the buildings for the station as DRAG's plans to resurrect another model of Bodmin floundered.

The baseboards that I had already built for my Scottish BLT plan are in the process of being modified (extended by 12") to accommodate Bodmin and hopefully once the Exactoscale track supplies come back on stream I'll be in a position to start building.

The planning has also resulted in a slight shift in the timeframe and it now looks more likely that the layout will be set in the early 1960's initially, simply because of the availability of suitable stock, but that won't stop me shifting it back to 1955 in future (or forward to 1978 assuming BR never closed it!), if the loco's are available.

Hopefully, I'll be in a position to post some photos in the next few weeks showing some actual physical progress.

Mark Tatlow

Re: Bodmin General (1955 to 1965)

Postby Mark Tatlow » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:26 pm

Jeremy Good wrote:I suspect mainly because he's fed up of hearing about all my ideas and wants me to get on with something (thanks, Mark)

:D
Mark Tatlow

Jeremy Good

Postby Jeremy Good » Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:22 pm

Oh dear, it's been another 15 months and progress is limited. I did set myself a target of getting the main running lines to the junction laid and wired by the end of 2019. I missed that but I have managed to get most of the trackwork built and ready to lay.

Since the last update the track layout has been Templotted with significant input from Mr Tatlow, thanks. The plots were printed on a commercial printer putting the whole layout on 3 sheets rather than a pile of A4 sheets which allowed me to plot the building positions and work out how best to fit the station into the space available.

The overall layout ended up being 13ft long from station forecourt to the Beacon Road overbridges and varies in width from 18" at the station end to a maximum of 28" by the coal sheds and allotments adjacent to the goods yard. Once this had been plotted accurately I was able to get the boards designed and laser cut by Tim Horn and they were collected at the Woodbridge AGM. They are in three sections, the station fits on a 5ft board and the other two are 4ft long.

Since then, I have built much of the initial phase of the trackwork based around Exactoscale Turnout kits and parts. Apart from one turnout and the tracks leading away from the junction it is now nearly ready to lay.

The photographs show the overall view looking from the road bridge end and closer views from around the mid-point showing both the trackwork and positioning of the buildings.

IMG_2087.jpg

IMG_2085.jpg

IMG_2086.jpg

Hopefully over the next month or two I will be bale to get the majority of the track laid ready to "break through" at the end off the boards to the fiddle yard.

I'm reasonably pleased with how this fits into the space available and the only significant compromise will need to be with the curve from the junction paintwork on the Boscarne Junction line which will have to begin to curve in the opposite direction to reality once it has passed under the over bridge due to the restriction in baseboard width at that end of the layout.

I need to come up with a solution for the fiddle yard design so that I can get the fiddle-yard boards ordered from Tim. The challenge is to be able to swap loaded and unloaded rakes of clay wagons between the two routes so that they can head down to Boscarne Junction and Wenfordbridge empty and return full to head off to Bodmin Road and eventually Fowey. I suspect this will involve cassettes but I'm not sure I want to use cassettes for the normal service trains - one to ponder.

I'm going to try and provide more frequent updates over the coming months as I begin to lay track and get the station wired up.

Finally, it appears that in the late 1950's/early 1960's the oil wagons serving the oil depot at Bodmin North began to be routed via Bodmin General rather than via Wadebridge. I have found a couple of photos in 1962/63 showing them in the pick-up goods and also clay trains headed by D6300 diesels but not under steam power - can anyone shed any light on when this traffic switched to the Bodmin General routing and whether there are any photos out there which can help to identify the wagons used? Thanks.

Jeremy

Return to “Layouts and Operations”