Having got the first part of the trackwork laid and working it is time to upload a few photos. The track is all ply and rivet, the turnouts made using the laser cut timbers which are now available from EBMA or from Scalefour Stores (http://www.ebmahobby.co.uk/index.php?route=product/category&path=65_66
). The turnouts are operated using the MERG servo mount which is available to members of MERG and which works well when combined with Mike Norris' stretcher bar design. I did try Ambis stretcher brackets but it just didn't work for me so tried out Mike's method which I found worked well so adopted that.
The AJ uncoupling electromagnets have been dispensed with and I am using servos to control the uncoupling. The servo drives an aluminium rod sliding in a tube. The rod has a rare earth magnet glued to the top of it and when it is desired to uncouple the rod is raised by the servo and the magnet works as normal. When the servo moves down then the magnetic field is out of range of the droppers. The advantage of this system is that using the MERG CBUS system it allows the uncoupling to be performed from any control panel, not just one.
The servos for the uncouplers are set in a bracket which I have printed on my 3D printer. A simple design but it does the job.
Because the Tim Horn baseboards are made up in a presentation style it is almost impossible to work on the track without removing the track bed. As a result the track bed is made to be removable so that it can be lifted out which means that the wiring must be detachable requiring a lot of plugs and sockets to be wired in. There are aluminium brackets attached to the uprights and M6 studding set into the track bed so it can be removed as required.
(Got the photos in the wrong order - will do better next time!).