Penhafod Upper - 1978

Tell us about your layout, where you put it, how you built it, how you operate it.
Alan Turner

Re: Penhafod Upper - 1978

Postby Alan Turner » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:52 pm

NorthHighlander wrote:I wonder if this was a better solution:
http://tillyweb.biz/gallery/nn/norchardekt.jpg

Best regards

Tony Hagon

Interesting photo but the normal arrangement is for the standard Key Token to release a ground frame - aka Eardington on the SVR. Here a Bridgnorth to Highley token is inserted into the GF at Eardington to release the GF controlling access to the siding there.

regards

Alan

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:32 pm

I'll look through my books and see if I have any illustrations of Annets key boxes.

I've found a reference with a diagram in "Modern Railway Signalling", Tweedie and Lascelles, 1925.

The text is:
Whilst on the subject of ground frames we may consider the method of controlling them bt means of an Annett key. Fig 16 shows the lock which is mounted either on the lever or at the end of the frame and interlocked with the lever, as shown. One key only is supplied and it is arranged so that all conflicting signals must be placed at "danger" before the key may be turned in the lock.

The diagram shows a typical set up where a tappet is connected directly to the Annett's key to do the interlocking and a release lever is not essential. Saves you extending the frame.
Annets.png

Regards
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

philip-griffiths

Postby philip-griffiths » Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:39 am

Tony

I like your ideas and I can see a desire for a full timetable, especially for exhibitions, however you do seem to have a lot of train services for a branch of the TVR. Now, I do sympathise with this and my own plans for a South Wales layout have similar moves to exotic places, though not Machen. :)

Have you acquired any WTTs? The WRRC have lots and they may help get an idea of what services you could run. The only real way to justify some of the services you mention may be to suggest that the branch was built by the Barry, hence the moves on the Wenvoe branch?

regards

NorthHighlander

Postby NorthHighlander » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:45 am

Hello Philip
Yes, you are right, it's a very intense service, but on the basis of exhibition layouts needing to have some movement within no more than a couple of minutes, it's a very contrived timetable. The layout started life as a trial of Hubert Carr's Geodeck baseboard system back in 1978 and to have something in P4 to 'play with'. Like everything else in my life, it grew like Topsy and never got anywhere. I really want to finish it off now as best as I can and as accurately as possible, and I have committed to attending with it at Scaleforum 2018!
I think you are right that it is more likely to be a Barry branch rather than TVR. I liked the idea of it being TVR because I like that railway's design of signal boxes with their ornate valences. But back in the '70s I built a GWR signalbox based on the Ericplans book, and this is still extant, so I might use that instead of a specially designed box. The big project at the moment, apart from the track and signals, is the station canopy based on the one at Henley on Thames. Then the landscape to be laid down... oh yes, I probably need some locos and stock, too....
(btw, the genesis of the layout was John Charman's 'Charford' layout in the Jan 1961 issue of Railway Modeller.... an icon which I was lucky to have seen at Central Hall in 1986 (7?) before it was broken up.)
I'll have a look at the Welsh circle, thanks for the info..

TH

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:44 pm

Posted Today, 11:39

...sorry, uploaded the wrong version of the Pulling Sequence and Locking Table doc, here is the correct version, with acknowledgements to Keith for his help in creating the locking table.

Attached File Penhafod Pulling Sequence and locking table.pdf 56.45KB 2 downloads

Tony,
looking at this in the other place i note that your points lie for 14 has been changed as suggested but the locking has not been changed to match!
I did offer ;)
But no time now till Sunday.
Regards
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

NorthHighlander

Postby NorthHighlander » Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:34 pm

Doh! I knew there was something.... nagging at the back of my mind as I published it... yes, thanks for your offer. I'll have a go at it before Sunday and perhaps you'd 'mark my work', please, Keith?? By the way, trap 19 and FPL 20 are now history and plain line on platform 2 is now restored! I've also installed the single blade trap on the engine spur but I can't find my GWR Practices book to see how the rodding connects to it...

TH

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:31 pm

But no time now till Sunday.

Attached comments relate to your latest as downloaded from RMweb.
Regards
Penhafod locking 4.pdf

Penhafod locking 4.odt
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

NorthHighlander

Postby NorthHighlander » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:28 pm

Thank you for your further work on the pulling sequence and locking table, Keith, very much appreciated. I have amended my copy and posted in at 'The Other Place' as version 3.1.2.
I'm now reading up on dog charts.... I think I might be able to get away with 4 tappet bars, in which case it could be a vertical table. I might be inclined to place the table behind clear acetate to let visitors see it operating. The intention is that the signalman sits on the visitor side of the layout (as in Pendon and Clutton) and, of course, each loco will have its own driver (and fireman for the token and operating the ground frames???). The Rest of the Known World (aka the fiddle yard) has its own supervisor. We also spent the weekend designing the wireless block instruments, of which more anon.

Best regards

Tony

Return to “Layouts and Operations”