My New Layout - but no name yet

Tell us about your layout, where you put it, how you built it, how you operate it.
ChrisMitchell

My New Layout - but no name yet

Postby ChrisMitchell » Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:23 pm

After my first attempt at a small layout - West End - which I completed as part of the D&E Challenge, I've now decided to have another go, partly spurred on by moving back to the UK, and meeting up with everyone at my local area group (TOERAG).

With West End being so small, I decided I would want something a bit bigger, but I don't have room for a continuous run. So, I've opted for an fiddle yard to fiddle yard layout, which just about squeezes into my apartment.

The period will once more be early 1970s BR (can't afford any new stock!), though the vague location has yet to be decided. The plan I've decided on is a direct crib of Neil Rushby's now defunct home layout Morfa, and is appended below. Trackwork will be C&L (Exactoscale) with the 3 turnouts operated by servos, as will any signals when I get around to them in years to come.

Layout Plan.jpg

Carpentry has never been my strong point, so I've opted to purchase some laser cut plywood boards from White Rose Modelworks in Bedale. These have been an absolutely superb product, and I would highly recommend them. So far I've only purchased the main boards, and will be going back for a further two for the fiddle yards.

Here are the boards temporarily assembled in my spare bedroom, with the trackplan on some 5mm foamboard.

Baseboards1.jpg

What isn't apparent from the plan is that the two tracks which curve round at the top left of the plan, will pass behind the backscene. I also then decided that I would like the running lines to be situated on an embankment. The next photo's will show more clearly what I mean.

Baseboards2.jpg

Baseboards3.jpg

So that's where I am up to. Hopefully I'll make some more progress over the coming month or so. I mentioned to Terry Bendall that I was planning to start a new layout, and he already wants me lined up for a future Scaleforum. :D

Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dave K

Re: My New Layout - but no name yet

Postby Dave K » Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:03 am

Chris,

Looks great can't wait to see how you progress.

Dave

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Re: My New Layout - but no name yet

Postby Terry Bendall » Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:04 am

ChrisMitchell wrote: I mentioned to Terry Bendall that I was planning to start a new layout, and he already wants me lined up for a future Scaleforum.

That's what happens to anyone who mentions a new layout in my hearing or posts details on here. :D :D This looks like a very interesting idea Chris and I am sure that people will be interested to see how things develop.

Terry Bendall

Return to “Layouts and Operations”