Drybrook Road in the beautiful Forest of Dean

Tell us about your layout, where you put it, how you built it, how you operate it.
Enigma

Drybrook Road in the beautiful Forest of Dean

Postby Enigma » Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:58 pm

Several months ago (it seems like only yesterday) I started a new layout based on the Drybrook Road station of the FoD. I had applied for space in the Wakefield clubrooms, partly because I don't currently have enough space at home and also to try and 'educate' club members into understanding that railway modelling isn't all about opening Red and Blue boxes. So far, I'm not sure whether the message is getting across or not!

Progress to date (more or less) can be seen here on my RMWeb thread (I'm not going to repeat it all here) but from now on I will hopefully add progress to both this and the RMWeb threads.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index. ... he-forest/

Tracklaying should start very soon - possibly this coming Friday - so more photos will be taken to demonstrate that progress is, well, progressing!

It may however, be worth mentioning that, in my own personal modelling world, the FoD lines never closed. The coal mines and industries kept on working, the passenger service was never withdrawn, the sun always shone and all the fruit gums were black ones. I am basing it on a date of around 1960'ish which could allow me to have both steam and diesel locos together with wood and steel mineral wagons. A goodly stock of both has been gradually acquired over the past few months.

Hope you like it!

chrisbaker

Re: Drybrook Road in the beautiful Forest of Dean

Postby chrisbaker » Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:31 pm

...to try and 'educate' club members into understanding that railway modelling isn't all about opening Red and Blue boxes. So far, I'm not sure whether the message is getting across or not!

Perhaps they're turned off by condescension?

Russ Elliott

Postby Russ Elliott » Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:03 pm

One of my favourite stations.

A large signal box amid 5000 trees.

drybrook-road.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Enigma

Postby Enigma » Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:38 am

chrisbaker wrote:
...to try and 'educate' club members into understanding that railway modelling isn't all about opening Red and Blue boxes. So far, I'm not sure whether the message is getting across or not!

Perhaps they're turned off by condescension?

Doubtful, we've got a dehumidifier in the room.

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:24 am

Russ Elliott wrote:One of my favourite stations.

Just on a whim I bought volume 2 of the colour survey of the Forest of Dean railways from the Lightmoor Press

http://lightmoor.co.uk/books/forest-of-dean-lines-and-the-severn-bridge/L9983

It's pure eye candy, and a fantastic modelling reference for the stations and the period. I have no intention of ever modelling anything like this, but it simply oozes atmosphere. I'll be buying volume 1 when I fancy some more reading for pure relaxation in a place when a book the size of a breezeblock is not an impediment.

I look forward to seeing more of the layout's progress.

Cheers
Flymo
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

Re6/6

Postby Re6/6 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:18 pm

A still of 'Drybrook Road' on here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNf-KkjtYBY

Part of my experimental scenic diorama of 'Netherhope Halt' which hopefully will be part of a proper layout (if/when Tintern Quarry and Tiddenham get built!)

Netherhope BRM.jpg

Courtesy BRM.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John

Enigma

Postby Enigma » Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:54 pm

Flymo748 wrote:
Russ Elliott wrote:One of my favourite stations.

Just on a whim I bought volume 2 of the colour survey of the Forest of Dean railways from the Lightmoor Press

http://lightmoor.co.uk/books/forest-of-dean-lines-and-the-severn-bridge/L9983

It's pure eye candy, and a fantastic modelling reference for the stations and the period. I have no intention of ever modelling anything like this, but it simply oozes atmosphere. I'll be buying volume 1 when I fancy some more reading for pure relaxation in a place when a book the size of a breezeblock is not an impediment.

I look forward to seeing more of the layout's progress.

Cheers
Flymo

Unfortunately Drybrook Road doesn't appear in this book as it was closed before colour photography reached there. However, I have based all my efforts on the photos in Wild Swan's 'Severn and Wye Railway Vol.2' and the same series about the Mineral Loop (Vol.4 I think). There aren't many photos of the location available and most - if not all - are in these books.

Return to “Layouts and Operations”