Mickleover Test Track - The RTC years

Tell us about your layout, where you put it, how you built it, how you operate it.
Shane

Mickleover Test Track - The RTC years

Postby Shane » Mon May 02, 2016 2:54 pm

Hi All

First posting and its about how to wire up my new layout for DCC control. I have part way through building Mickleover in its test track years with handbuilt turnouts in P4. Its nothing complicated but I have no idea were to start with the electrical side of things, being used to Peco insulfrog and DC control in all my previous layouts. I am having complete brain fade as nothing seems simple but I'm sure it is once I have been guided down the right path.

I have very crudely drawn the track plan and need someone to show me where I need to put the rail breaks in so it works. Many thanks in advance

ImageUntitled by Shane Wilton, on Flickr

cheers

Shane

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Re: Mickleover Test Track - The RTC years

Postby grovenor-2685 » Mon May 02, 2016 3:35 pm

For every turnout you just isolate the crossing (frog) both in the closure rails, ie between point blade and crossing, and outside the crossing. That is 4 gaps, or insulated fishplates. The isolated crossing then needs to be switched in synch with the point drive to connect the crossing to either the left or right rail.
Then join all the left rails together and all the right rails together.
I'll see if I can do a drawing shortly.
Regards
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Shane

Postby Shane » Mon May 02, 2016 7:54 pm

Thanks Keith, that would be most helpful. I kind of get what you mean about the frog, I'm guessing that it needs a polarity switch but I have no idea how to wire that in. The turnouts will be manually operated in the short term but will use servos when I'm ready.

Cheers

Shane

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Mon May 02, 2016 9:34 pm

Attached pic shows the required wiring for DCC.
The left and right running rails are shown in blue and red, the frogs in green.
At the left I have shown the polarity switching for one turnout, all would be the same.
sidings.png

If operating by hand a simple method is to use a slide switch as the lever then its contacts can be used for the polarity switching. Using Servos then either a microswitch or a relay can be used. Servo mounts often have provision for microswitches. I have all 3 of these in use in different areas, ie slide switches, microswitches and relays.
Regards
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by grovenor-2685 on Tue May 03, 2016 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added missing attachment, it was late!
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Shane

Postby Shane » Tue May 03, 2016 7:17 am

Hi Keith

Thanks, that's a great help, it all makes sense now.

cheers

Shane

Shane

Postby Shane » Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:42 pm

Just a couple of pics to show progress to date. Still a long way to go but as I only started this in March its not bad progress for me.

ImageS3220001 by Shane Wilton, on Flickr

ImageS3220005 by Shane Wilton, on Flickr

cheers

Shane

Return to “Layouts and Operations”