Aylesbury (Town)

Tell us about your layout, where you put it, how you built it, how you operate it.
David Bigcheeseplant

Aylesbury (Town)

Postby David Bigcheeseplant » Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:04 pm

The Risborough & District Model Railway Club that has a healthy P4 section within it has been working on a model of Aylesbury (Town) station the idea was we would just model the engine shed and platform area as an end to end model even with fiddle yards the layout was around 21 feet long, to be fair it has not worked out the way we had thought and we have decided to build the layout as a roundy roundy.

We plan to build new base boards and transfer the track we have built to the new boards. The new layout will be a total of 32 feet long by 11 feet wide and will have a minimum 4.6 foot radius curves.

We can now model the Metropolitain bays and coal sidings, in fact the plan is exactly to scale without compression.

The plan now has been printed off full size as I have an A0 plotter at work.

David

Mark Tatlow

Re: Aylesbury (Town)

Postby Mark Tatlow » Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:54 pm

Looks good David; Railex 2016?
Mark Tatlow

DougN

Postby DougN » Wed Dec 24, 2014 3:30 am

Naahh Mark, give 'em a couple more months Scaleforum 2016! :twisted:
Doug
Still not doing enough modelling

David Bigcheeseplant

Postby David Bigcheeseplant » Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:07 am

It will be ready when its ready, but Aylesbury will go to Aylesbury at some point.

The line to the top left is the branch to Princes Risborough with trains terminating at platform four, Metropolitain trains will terminate in the bay platform one. I think there is plenty of operating potential, as we can run GWR, LNER and Metroplitain trains the Midland region took over the Eastern region for motive power in 1957. There was also Southern schools Cheltenham that Neasdon borrowed for a while so we get some SR too.

David

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:24 am

This will be a very impressive layout when it is finished - there were lots of interesting trains through Aylesbury in the period in which the model is set. A great shame that BR closed the Great Central north of Aylesbury - it would have made travel to Scaleforum a lot easier. :)

I expect the club will want to show the layout at their own show first, assuming that it can be staffed with the demands of the show but I am sure it will be an asset at Scaleforum at some stage.

Terry Bendall

David Bigcheeseplant

Postby David Bigcheeseplant » Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:37 am

Anybody who wants to get involved with the project and can make it over to Princes Risborough on a Friday evening or once a month during the day on a Saturday are most welcome.

Within a membership of around 45 members we have around 8 Scalefour modellers and others whose home models are EM but have become involved with the project plus non P4 modellers who plan to build the baseboards for us!
The items we can either transfer from the current build or have been built include the engine shed, water tank, grounded coach body, public footbridge and up and down waiting rooms, plus a number of smaller components.

Benefits of membership of the club is its own A3 laser cutter that is being used to produce the buildings and club membership includes a day workshop on using ProdgeCAD a free CAD programme, which we hope to run for our members in the spring.

We are not the only ones who are building Aylesbury (Town) the East Bed Model Railway Society are doing it in 2mm, but are viewing the model from the town side.
Aylesbury (Town or Joint) is not the only Aylesbury station model the R&D MRC has! We have Geoff Williams Aylesbury LNWR (High Street) that we are currently refurbishing but that is EM!
David

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:25 am

Doesn't HS2 come close to Aylesbury?
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

David Bigcheeseplant

Postby David Bigcheeseplant » Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:34 pm

Tim V wrote:Doesn't HS2 come close to Aylesbury?

Yes but not in 1958!

David Bigcheeseplant

Postby David Bigcheeseplant » Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:05 am

The completed boards for Aylesbury Town all 32 x 12 feet. The boards are foam sandwiched with ply, there is no underboard bracing but these are very light and you are unable to twist or distort them. The board are fixed together with flight case latches and paten makers dowels. In fact you can latch three boards together and two people can lift them above their heads and everything stays rigid!

David
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re6/6

Postby Re6/6 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:20 pm

An excellent method of baseboard construction David. We've used a method very similar to yours for the Balcombe Station and scenic boards. Ultra light and totally flat. In fact some boards that we used were made six years ago for another layout and they've stayed totally flat after storage in a damp garage for all that time.

To avoid further joinery we're using metal trestles and 25mm² light steel tube.
John

David Bigcheeseplant

Postby David Bigcheeseplant » Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:57 pm

The trestles in the photos are not going to be used the layout will sit on four storage boxes that hold all the boards when not in use. The boards slide in from the front so are always horizontal, we will need a few legs but again these store in the boxes.

David

Knuckles

Postby Knuckles » Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:23 pm

I'm intrigued by the simplicity of these boards. Getting the curve might not be the easiest but is this curve what gives its strengh?

I'm torn between doing some form of 'traditional' plywood board construction or try something like Barry Normon using Pine blocks in 4mm Plywood to make lightweight but apparently non warping boards for my main layout/s still in planning. Barry's method seems more involved but definetly lighter, however this method that you have shown seems more simple too.

Is the foam and ply the main magic like Barry's pine and ply?
“He who dares not offend cannot be honest.” Thomas Paine

https://www.sparkshotcustomcreations.com/
Mostly 3D Printed Loco kits etc.

SCC Price list (7/4/22)
https://www.sparkshotcustomcreations.co ... e77d42.pdf

Philbax

Postby Philbax » Sat Aug 20, 2016 6:50 pm

Just for information we found that if you glued the ply top and bottom of the foam with a weight on it the joint was very poor and could be separated. Our solution is to glue under high pressure in a veneer press ( read vacuum bag) and this does the trick, so not sure it is an approach for the dot at home
Phil

MarkS

Postby MarkS » Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:43 pm

Our solution is to glue under high pressure in a veneer press ( read vacuum bag) and this does the trick, so not sure it is an approach for the dot at home

This may be your DIY solution - these guys are in my neighbourhood and ship worldwide - http://www.roarockit.ca/tap-kits.html
I made a skateboard this way with my son years ago, very effective, and you can laminate all sorts of different materials.
Cheers,

Mark.
"In the end, when all is said and done, more will have been said than done..."

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:37 am

MarkS wrote:Just for information we found that if you glued the ply top and bottom of the foam with a weight on it the joint was very poor and could be separated

The majority of adhesives will always need to be held under pressure whilst the adhesive hardens. The exceptions are contact type adhesives such as Evo-Stick impact. Many years ago I tried to stick wood veneer to a piece of plywood using Cascamite wood adhesive which was then put in a screw press with other pieces which were not of the same size. The veneer stuck where it .under pressure but my work was a bit larger than the rest and the glue failed to hold around the edges. :(

For gluing to a large surface you will need to apply a force over the whole of the surface area which could need a lot of heavy objects being required!

A vacuum bag is a good solution and these are available in large sizes but the cost would not be feasible for a one off project.

Terry Bendall

David Bigcheeseplant

Postby David Bigcheeseplant » Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:55 am

IMG_1050.JPG

A slightly better view of all boards assembled.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Brinkly

Postby Brinkly » Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:28 am

Lovely work. I look toward to seeing the project progress.

Kind regards,

Nick.

Rod Cameron

Postby Rod Cameron » Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:54 pm

Big layouts seem to be coming into vogue!
Rod

David Bigcheeseplant

Postby David Bigcheeseplant » Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:20 pm

I have been drawing up the main station building for Aylesbury I have finished the cupula for the roof which I will get 3D printed. I have been using Autodesk Fusion 360 which is a free download and pretty good.

David

David Bigcheeseplant

Postby David Bigcheeseplant » Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:11 pm

I have been working on designing the main building in Fusion 360 a free download, this is the result so far, once I have added all the parts I need I can convert the drawings to a DXF file to send to the laser cutter or 3D printer.

This is the first time I have used 3D to design a model in the past I have used 2D AutoCAD but in a way this is a much better method.

David

jim s-w

Postby jim s-w » Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:38 pm

Hi David

Forgive me for being confused but it appears you have gone back to square one, where you were 2 years ago. Have I missed something?

Cheers

Jim
Jim Smith-Wright

http://www.p4newstreet.com

Over thinking often leads to under doing!

David Bigcheeseplant

Postby David Bigcheeseplant » Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:55 pm

Around 18 months ago it was decided there were issues with the original ten foot short version, instead of altering or extending the model we would make new baseboards and learn from what went before. We took a while to ensure we had everything correct this time, the original model had some of the canopy over a baseboard joint.

All parts of the original model could be reused including track and buildings and the old baseboard given to another club member.

So in answer to your question not back to square one just a step or two back to allow us to proceed in a better way. This is has proved to be the best decision as we have now got more people involved and progress is going very well. We have had both copper clad turnout building and cosmetic track building course so now have all but three turnouts for the whole layout. We have also got a team of people on the project.

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:55 am

David Bigcheeseplant wrote:So in answer to your question not back to square one just a step or two back to allow us to proceed in a better way

That of course is not unknown. Not ideal, and to be avoided if you can, but in the interests of getting something better at the end it is often to only way to make progress.

Terry Bendall

jim s-w

Postby jim s-w » Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:05 am

Absolutely, pushing forward with something you know isn't right is just more wasted time.
Jim Smith-Wright

http://www.p4newstreet.com

Over thinking often leads to under doing!

David Bigcheeseplant

Postby David Bigcheeseplant » Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:52 pm

A few more photos of the worked up station building using the render function, I must admit for a free download Fusion 360 really is a great programme to design items with.

As for the trackwork on the layout there is now some very impressive turnouts being built using Exactoscale chairs and wooden sleepers, these will be wired painted then laid and ballasted in one go.

Return to “Layouts and Operations”