Aylesbury (Town)

Tell us about your layout, where you put it, how you built it, how you operate it.
David Bigcheeseplant

Re: Aylesbury (Town)

Postby David Bigcheeseplant » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:00 pm

A few more images of the station I have now switched to the steelwork for the canopies, I hope to have the walls laser cut in the next week and start to assemble the main building shortly after.

I will have this and some of the 3D printed parts that go on the building on show at our small local show in Princes Risborough on 18th Feb http://www.rdmrc.org.uk/ Other members of the project team will be on hand to explain what we have done and how we are building this P4 model of Aylesbury. We will have trackwork designed on Templot and built using Exactoscale components.

So if you pop along on the 18th of Feb please come and say hello.

David
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

David Bigcheeseplant

Postby David Bigcheeseplant » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:42 pm

Work has now turned to assemble the laser cut and 3D printed parts of the station building.

On 8th July at Princes Risborough Commuity centre, Stratton Road, Princes Risborough, Bucks. we will have an open Saturday http://www.rdmrc.org.uk/ where we will have all the boards assembled. we have all the trackwork built and wired in the fiddle yard including the point motors.

At the open Saturday we will also have our test track which has two circuits of P4 which visitors are free to come along and run trains.

We will also have our O gauge model of Okehampton and a few demos.

David
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ralphrobertson

Postby ralphrobertson » Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:21 pm

Can I please ask what materials and thickness you are using for your laser cut buildings? We have experimented with MDF and ply and I am about to start drawing up some tests to engrave brickwork on thin card with the idea of using this as an overlay to the walls so that the corners are easier to mate accurately. We have tried to use interlocking bricks on the corner and were disappointed with the results, the joins are still very visible no matter how tight the joins are.

The building looks really excellent.

Ralph

David Bigcheeseplant

Postby David Bigcheeseplant » Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:36 pm

I use Rowmark 1 or 1.5mm thickness for the outer walls and the same for an inner wall too. this gives the correct recess for most windows. I too tried interlocking corners but couldn't get the results I was hoping for so now assemble both outside and inside walls then mitre the corners with a disc sander with the table at 45 degrees. The Rowmark sands wells MDF tends to delaminate.

David

ralphrobertson

Postby ralphrobertson » Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:22 pm

Thanks David. Is there any chance you can please give me the reference for Rowmark - I have looked at the site and there seem to be dozens of different types. The likes of us simply want Plasticard equivalents but everything I have seen seems to be 2 colour and that is very confusing.

Ralph

David Bigcheeseplant

Postby David Bigcheeseplant » Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:46 am

I am not sure we use Rowmark itself but a similar material, we did get some of ours from HPC but I will find out where we get it now. Perspex can also be cut and have found a supplier who can get it at 0.2 thickness!
David

ralphrobertson

Postby ralphrobertson » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:58 am

Thank you David, it would be really helpful knowing the materials that are useable on the cutter. So far we have only experimented with MDF and ply as well as mount card and learning about these other materials would be useful. Bob Gledhills book on laser cutting and 3D printing is full of useful information too but seeing your model buildings and the quality of what is achievable gives us considerable inspiration.

Ralph

David Bigcheeseplant

Postby David Bigcheeseplant » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:48 pm

I am sure if you google laser cutting materials you will find suitable materials, I will ask our member who orders our materials in where he gets ours from, but he is away for as couple of weeks.

The main issue is most laser cut kits I have seen cut all walls, windows and doors from one sheet rather than using various layers to build up the correct thickness of reveals.

I now draw and design everything in Fusion 3D which enables 2D drawing to produced from the 3D model. this is then exported to a DXF drawing where I add the brickwork, also off set lines 0.05mm to take in account of the laser cutter., plus 0.5mm tabs to hold everything on the sheet to when I need it.

Most of what I do was trial and error but have now produced a system I am happy with.

David

Will L

Postby Will L » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:57 pm

ralphrobertson wrote:.. We have tried to use interlocking bricks on the corner and were disappointed with the results, the joins are still very visible no matter how tight the joins are.

Didn't Tim Horn find the way to do interlocking corners in these posts back in 2013?

ralphrobertson

Postby ralphrobertson » Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:21 pm

Thanks David and Will, that is very useful. Think I prefer David's method of doing the corners but I will have a good read of Tim's method and see if I can get a better result than the ones I got using the Fablab's laser cutter.

Ralph

David Bigcheeseplant

Postby David Bigcheeseplant » Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:11 pm

I have tried the interlocking corners and you have to be very careful to get the correct offset to get a close fit. It is very easy to either have too big a gap or they are too tight fit together. Sanding them to 45 degrees is much easier and quicker.

Attached is a photo of the Aylesbury Engine shed I built that has mitred corners.

David

ralphrobertson

Postby ralphrobertson » Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:16 pm

That looks outstanding, thanks. Exactly what I am trying to emulate.

Ralph

buckie5507

Postby buckie5507 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:51 pm

The material referred to as 'Rowmark' is actually ADA alternative ( http://www.rowmark.com/laser/ADA/adaspecs.asp )

Jonathan

David Bigcheeseplant

Postby David Bigcheeseplant » Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:29 pm

Progress on Aylesbury is doing well all the track work in the fiddle yard is now laid, wired and with all point motors working, there is still work to be done on the curved boards but hopefully only a week of twos work then the fiddle yard will be stored away and work will commence on the scenic section trackwork. Out of all the turnouts in the scenic section only one has yet to be built, although plenty of plain track as yet to be made and we are not using flex track in the visible sections. We hope to have it possible to run around at least the main lines by the middle of February at our small Risex show in Princes Risborough.

We have a team of around 12 active members working on the layout even though some are not P4 modellers but still want to get involved.

While some are working on the boards, track and wiring others are making signals, buildings etc. I have been working on the main station building but have now moved to the S&T hut behind the signal box which looks very much like a MSLR signal box, this has been designed in Fusion 360 which I now use to design most things before exporting the DWG files to our laser cutter.

David

Colin Parks

Postby Colin Parks » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:10 pm

Hi David,

What an epic layout you are constructing! The work on the structures looks equally impressive.

All the best,

Colin

David Bigcheeseplant

Postby David Bigcheeseplant » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:25 am

We have Aylesbury at our show at Risborough today http://www.rdmrc.org.uk/ it wil be the first showing of the layout fully erected and can run trains all the way round on both main lines. with the buildings in place it is starting to look like a real place.

Come and say hello

David

Colin Parks

Postby Colin Parks » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:42 am

Hi David,

The station building looks excellent! Your layout will be very impressive and, judging from what appears on the Forum, to a very high standard. There seem to be quite a few large P4 projects under way at the moment, which is quite inspiring. I wonder if this the culmination of a lifetime's worth of skills and experience now being employed by individuals to good effect, or is this the result of the opportunities which new technologies have to offer?

All the best,

Colin

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:32 pm

Colin Parks wrote: There seem to be quite a few large P4 projects under way at the moment, which is quite inspiring. I wonder if this the culmination of a lifetime's worth of skills and experience now being employed by individuals to good effect, or is this the result of the opportunities which new technologies have to offer?

Probable both in about equal parts. :) And yes the building looks very good.

Terry Bendall

John Palmer

Postby John Palmer » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:42 pm

I'm particularly impressed by the flashing on the station building's chimneys - correct down to the saw tooth edge - and would be interested to learn how this was done. Presumably something for which the laser cutter was of no assistance?

David Bigcheeseplant

Postby David Bigcheeseplant » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:27 pm

The flashing on the chimneys was done on the laser cutter it is part of the brick paten and not separate just paint the flashing grey.

Aylesbury ran really well at the show yesterday, although we do need loads more rolling stock.

John Palmer

Postby John Palmer » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:29 pm

David Bigcheeseplant wrote:The flashing on the chimneys was done on the laser cutter it is part of the brick paten and not separate just paint the flashing grey.

Aylesbury ran really well at the show yesterday, although we do need loads more rolling stock.

Ah, that's interesting, thank you David. I thought I had detected and additional layer representing the flashing at the base of the nearest chimney but was mistaken. Back to my drawing board, then, as regards creation of flahing without a laser cutter. Perhaps my Portrait cutter could reproduce the 'sawteeth' - it certainly ought to cut through self-adhesive vinyl for this purpose, even though it struggles with .010" styrene.

Good to hear the layout ran so well!

David Bigcheeseplant

Postby David Bigcheeseplant » Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:27 am

It has been a while since an update on Aylesbury, although quite a bit of the trackwork is laid wired and with point motors working. Hopefully in the next few months the remaining track and platforms will installed.

David

David Bigcheeseplant

Postby David Bigcheeseplant » Sat Dec 14, 2019 5:18 pm

A few photos on the progress on Aylesbury today most of the trackwork has now been laid in the scenic section, and the platform carcass fitted.
IMG_3273.JPG
IMG_3275.JPG

Return to “Layouts and Operations”