Cadhay Sidings layout thread

Tell us about your layout, where you put it, how you built it, how you operate it.
Serjt-Dave

Re: Finally Made A Start in P4!

Postby Serjt-Dave » Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:58 pm

:thumb

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:42 pm

Having seen Chris' layout in the flesh at Glasgow I was very impressed with the presentation - very much in the style of a theatre perspective even down to the proscenium arch and front tabs (curtains). It is good to know that other curtains are due to be added to screen the fiddle yards. In addition Chris has borrowed an idea from Michael Ball's Ferring with curtains behind to screen the stand behind the layout. All very impressive and the complete board at the right hand end showed what will be achieved in terms of scenic work. As has been mentioned, the layout has been invited to Scaleforum this year and those who come will be able to see what a beginner has achieved in about four years. :D

Terry Bendall

CDGFife

Postby CDGFife » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:35 pm

Whilst most of my free modelling time since the Glasgow show has been spent on Cadhay's stock, I have managed to do a bit of scenic stuff on the layout, and after a conversation with Tim Lee at Railex I took a few "in progress" snaps of the climbing rose that has recently found it's way onto Cadhay's farmhouse. So here goes:

06-001.jpg

06-002.jpg

06-003.jpg

06-004.jpg

06-005.jpg

06-006.jpg

06-007.jpg

I've also added some more plantations of trees/bushes which has really had the effect of bedding the farm into the landscape a bit more:

06-008.jpg

06-009.jpg

06-010.jpg

Cheers All

Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Alan Woodard

Postby Alan Woodard » Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:21 pm

Beautiful modelling Chris. The layout looks stunning.

Al.

Le Corbusier

Postby Le Corbusier » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:21 pm

Chris,

Thanks ... really appreciate this. Am frankly in awe of the scenic modelling - ever thought of a book? ;)

Cheers

Tim
Tim Lee

Serjt-Dave

Postby Serjt-Dave » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:51 am

Excellent work there Chris. The climbing rose is a masterpiece by itself and fits lovingly on the house. Overall you have a stunning layout.

Dave

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:07 am

Yes the layout is looking very good Chris. It will of course be on display at Scaleforum this year allowing all members the opportunity of seeing an excellent first time layout achieved in a little over three years.

Terry Bendall

Le Corbusier

Postby Le Corbusier » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:58 am

Terry Bendall wrote:Yes the layout is looking very good Chris. It will of course be on display at Scaleforum this year allowing all members the opportunity of seeing an excellent first time layout achieved in a little over three years.

Terry Bendall

No Pressure there then Chris ;)
Tim Lee

CDGFife

Postby CDGFife » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:30 pm

Just back this evening in Fife from Aylesbury, Scaleforum 2018. There should be some more photos coming but here's 3 that sum up my weekend:

18-9-1.jpg

18-9-2.jpg

18-9-3.jpg

Thanks to everyone that took the time to speak with me and the crew. Really enjoyed the whole thing, and coming third behind 2 absolutely lovely layouts in the vote had me well chuffed!

Sorry about the bells Tim....
Don't mention the booths Mark.....

Very tired

CDG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Le Corbusier

Postby Le Corbusier » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:40 pm

respect :thumb Fantastic effort and for me a real inspiration ;) loved it warts and all :D
Tim Lee

CDGFife

Postby CDGFife » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:42 pm

Thanks Tim, sorry we didn't get too long to chat on Saturday.

CDG

Mark Tatlow

Postby Mark Tatlow » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:27 pm

CDGFife wrote:Don't mention the booths Mark.....

As if....................

But you know what modification you need to do...............
Mark Tatlow

PeteT

Postby PeteT » Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:40 am

Hi Chris,

I didn't get much time to look around over s4um, but one thing that I managed to see and notice was the blending of shades & colours through your grass. It looked brilliant!

Was this done using different scatter materials, or paint? Sorry if this has been covered previously.

CDGFife

Postby CDGFife » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:53 am

Pete, thanks for the comments.

The grass on Cadhay is generally static grass of varying shades. Unlike a lot of advise, I start with brown painted landform, mainly just Burnt Umber acrylic with a few blended highlights of yellows/greys/etc. Then I tend to put over a base cover of (mainly) short fibres using a Flockit applicator and trying to get the core colour of what I want to achieve. I NEVER use just one colour/type of grass in a pass, giving them a good stir with a wooden spatula in the applicator. After the base coat I add taller grass onto patches of hairspray and keep blending with lots of passes (the hairspray means you can get these done fairly quickly instead of waiting for glue to dry). Finally I go over the grass with various scatters (Woodland scenic fine Turf Blend is a favourite) to pick out highlights, add accents and/or blend things together.

The most important thing however I think is to work from reference photos to get the overall differences in colour, size and texture. For example most embankment/cuttings of my period were kept short and had a definite faded, paler tone than say the cow field, which is a much greener colour. Also sheep fields are generally closer cropped than cow fields for example, so it's really about having a load of different options to try to reflect what you see. To this end I'm incapable of passing a scenic trader without purchasing at least a couple of packets of static grass and flock!!

One of the most overlooked bits of grass I find on layouts is the additional growth that's almost always present around fences and posts. I use the scatter material and hand plant 12mm fibres in little tufts around fence posts for example, here's a couple of snaps showing an area prepped for fence posts (more long statics will go in after the posts are fixed) and a bit of finished fencing:

18-09-001.jpg

18-09-002.jpg

Hope that helps

Chris

Le Corbusier

Postby Le Corbusier » Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:24 pm

Thanks for the master class Chris. Lovely work
Tim Lee

Steve Carter

Postby Steve Carter » Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:58 pm

CDGFife wrote:
The most important thing however I think is to work from reference photos to get the overall differences in colour, size and texture.

Chris

Absolutely agree Chris.

It’s also important to work on scenics under the same lighting that you are using for a layout. It does make a difference and, for me, Chris has got it spot on. Love it.

Steve
Steve Carter

petermeyer

Postby petermeyer » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:29 am

Very impressive overall!

Can I ask how you did the road surface on the road bridge please?

CDGFife

Postby CDGFife » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:49 am

Thanks for the comments folks.

Steve - I agree entirely. I have my exhibition lights permanently set up above the layout (another advantage of LED strips) so all colour matching can be done in the knowledge that it will look right everywhere.

Peter, the road surfaces are profiled in filler (Screwfix powdered type mixed very stiff), then, once dry, painted with Greenscenes textured paint. For Cadhay's colour I used a blend of "Concrete", "Devon Soil" and "Dark Earth". Generally the technique is to paint on the Concrete colour and add highlights of the other two mixing and blending wet into wet. The usual "if you lash up the colour, let it dry and start again" safety net applies here also! You do have to use a brush you are prepared to sacrifice though and the previous comment about colour matching to a reference local to your layout if possible, applies here too.

Hope that helps

CDG

CDGFife

Postby CDGFife » Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:15 pm

Busy preparing Cadhay for it's trip to Houten show in a couple of weeks.

Tiling/slating roofs is a job I find a bit tedious. The roof on Factory B has been languishing in grey paint (thanks to Ray Nolton at Glasgow last year) for far too long so over the weekend I set to with a clutch of Marillion albums for company (prog music is another of my anoraks!) and got the slates on. Still needs weathering and a variable wash, but at least they're on.

Before...
19-02-000.jpg

And after...
19-02-001.jpg

19-02-002.jpg

19-02-003.jpg

Once the weathering is done, next up are the drains and the sliding door, followed by a canopy of some sort over the loading dock.

Cheers

CDG

Le Corbusier

Postby Le Corbusier » Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:15 pm

But what would Fish say? ;) Cycling, Prog Rock and Railways ..... interesting mix - that makes some ven diagram :D
Tim Lee

CDGFife

Postby CDGFife » Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:07 pm

They may all involve anoraks?

There's actually a Marillion album called Anorak-no-phobia.

CDG

Le Corbusier

Postby Le Corbusier » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:49 pm

CDGFife wrote:They may all involve anoraks?

There's actually a Marillion album called Anorak-no-phobia.

CDG

One might say that's just .....'Clutching at Straws' :thumb
Tim Lee

CDGFife

Postby CDGFife » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:14 am

Actually 2 of the albums I listened to whilst tiling where FEAR and Brave! Apt indeed.

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:46 pm

I thought a Marillion fan clutched at straws, not anoraks...

Flymo
(still contemplating the Steve Rothery-fest in Cambridge in a month's time)
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

CDGFife

Postby CDGFife » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:45 am

Paul

All (alright both or 3 if you count the drummer change) incarnations of Marillion treated equally here! Straws, Anoraks, fishes, "aitch"es whatever...…. Although given the state of the country at present perhaps I should concentrate on Fugazi.

I'm gutted I can't get to Cambridge for SRB. Last year I couldn't get to Holland for it and this year I will be in Holland so can't go! Definitely recommended though, seen them a few times - they're really good and Martin (from Edinburgh based tribute act StillMarillion) who sings the old Marillion stuff is excellent. The set list is around on facebook if you search Steve Rothery. Definitely the whole of Misplaced Childhood and Clutching at Straws from what I can remember.

I'll just have to be happy with the Mariilion Weekend convention in Leicester in April.

Cheers

CDG

Return to “Layouts and Operations”