Cadhay Sidings layout thread

Tell us about your layout, where you put it, how you built it, how you operate it.
Paul Willis
Forum Team

Re: Post title changed but not thread?

Postby Paul Willis » Mon Feb 28, 2022 6:24 pm

Paul Willis wrote:
CDGFife wrote:Thanks Paul,

Got that (as you can hopefully see) but doesn't that still show the overall topic title as what it was originally? I was thinking to change the whole thing to something like "Cadhay Layout thread" so it makes more sense for anyone looking for it on the index page.

That definitely worked as a post title!

I get what you're looking for. Let me have a delve in the Admin Team's toolbox to see if I can find something suitable to do it for you. Wish me luck - I'm going in!

Paul

There you are - that should be sorted. Would you check it to ensure it's looking right to you please?

Oh, and I smiled whilst reading your initial posting. Would you have ever thought that you would be holding a Best Layout in Show trophy after writing:

"Terry Bendall signed me up at Model Rail Scotland in 2013 - I'd gone with the intention of talking to the EM boys but found the P4 stand first. I spent the first year of membership reading up on what and how, and was actually a bit embarrassed when I spoke to Terry again at Model Rail 2014 and had to admit to having done absolutely zero P4 modelling in the year!

I really, really hope that you have also had a lot of fun on the way!

Cheers
Paul
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

CDGFife

Re: Cadhay Sidings layout thread

Postby CDGFife » Mon Feb 28, 2022 7:27 pm

All looks good thanks Paul.

Funnily enough I also read that first post today as I was looking at how to change the topic name! I would go as far as to say that post changed my life, because immediately after it I was contacted by Allan Ferguson saying that he could see that I lived near him, I should join the East of Scotland Group, they had a meeting on this coming Saturday and he would pick me up at 1000! Step forward to 2018 and they asked me to be Chairman (I'm still pretty sure no one else was available!!). I've met so many lovely people through membership of this society and the East Group so I can certainly say my life would be the poorer if I'd not done so and it's definitely been fun whilst sometimes challenging. I also know that Cadhay would not be the layout it is today without the East Group's collective (and individual) help, plus the wider contribution of Society members through this forum.

One reason why I've always tried to keep the Cadhay stuff together on this thread is that it allows me to go back to see how far I've travelled and hopefully it might help other starters to see what can be possible.

Cheers

CDG

iak

Postby iak » Mon Feb 28, 2022 8:07 pm

Excellent stuff...
Sounds like Glasgow was a good show this year.
Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest
enemy of truth....
Albert Einstein

Perfection is impossible.
But I may choose to serve perfection....
Robert Fripp

https://www.facebook.com/groups/PadgateWorks/

Tony Wilkins

Postby Tony Wilkins » Tue Mar 01, 2022 2:09 pm

I know you have done it now, but there was a topic about changing the title here.
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=6569&p=70506&hilit=changing+title#p6961
Regards
Tony.
Inspiration from the past. Dreams for the future.

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Tue Mar 01, 2022 4:53 pm

"Terry Bendall signed me up at Model Rail Scotland in 2013 - I'd gone with the intention of talking to the EM boys but found the P4 stand first.

I had forgotten that Chris. Looking back, the first Glasgow show that I took the Society stand to was 2009 and I have been to most since then. I was sorry that circumstances meant that I could not come this year and I missed the opportunity to meet those of our members who were a the show this year which is soemthing I have always looked forward to. Very good to see that your layout won the award - well deserved and it shows what is possible with a first P4 layout.

Terry Bendall

CDGFife

Postby CDGFife » Fri Mar 04, 2022 2:50 pm

I know you've all seen this before but the new album arrived this morning and it's a cracker.........

19-02-005.jpg

Marillion "An Hour Before its Dark"

Cheers

CDG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Fri Mar 04, 2022 11:41 pm

At a meeting of the Brixton Chess Club last month...

StillMarillion Feb 22 (4).JPG

Cheers
Paul
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
www.5522models.co.uk

Noel

Postby Noel » Sat Mar 05, 2022 8:30 am

Wasn't quite ready for a horror show at this time in the morning...
Regards
Noel

CDGFife

Postby CDGFife » Sat Mar 05, 2022 11:24 am

Hope you enjoyed it Paul? Martin is the man, he even gets a credit from Steve Rothery on the new album sleeve. I have tickets for them at Leicester in May as part of the (real) band's convention and we try and catch them up here at least once a year.

This world is definitely Fugazi!

Cheers

CDG

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Tue Mar 08, 2022 4:42 pm

CDGFife wrote:Hope you enjoyed it Paul? Martin is the man, he even gets a credit from Steve Rothery on the new album sleeve. I have tickets for them at Leicester in May as part of the (real) band's convention and we try and catch them up here at least once a year.

Yes, a very enjoyable gig. Being based in Scotland, it's rare that StillMarillion make it this far south. I'm on their email list, and open each one with anticipation of a gig within a couple of hours drive. I've also seen the Steve Rothery Band live on a couple of occasions, so I've seen before how good Martin is.

Steve Rothery Cambridge Jan 17 (4).JPG

Being a fan since 1983, I was sad enough to note down the set list from Swindon :-)

Incommunicado
Assassing
He knows you know
Chelsea Monday
White Russian
Punch and Judy
Hotel hobbies
Warm wet circles
That time of the night
Jigsaw
Tux on
Incubus
Kayleigh
Lavender
Bitter suite
Hearts of Lothian
Sugar mice
The last straw
———
Fugazi
Garden party
Market square heroes

I hope that you have as good a performance when you get to see them!

Cheers
Paul
www.5522models.co.uk

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Tue Mar 08, 2022 9:29 pm

Chris,

Of course, if you were looking for an excuse to come down south for Scaleforum, this email landed earlier this evening in my inbox...

"Marillion <https://www.ents24.com/mail/aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZW50czI0LmNvbS91ay90b3VyLWRhdGVzL21hcmlsbGlvbj91dG1fY29udGVudD1lbnRpdHktbmFtZQ/1010162/2563827/2022-03-08/86430>

has added 1 Event

Aylesbury
Sat 24 Sep at Aylesbury Waterside Theatre"

The one occasion when it would have been convenient for Scalefour to be in Aylesbury, rather than half an hour's drive away ;-)

Cheers
Paul
www.5522models.co.uk

CDGFife

Postby CDGFife » Tue Mar 08, 2022 9:48 pm

HI Paul,

That is another good set list. I should see Stillmarillion in Dundee when that is rescheduled (covid got it) and sometimes catch the Edinburgh or Bathgate gigs as well.

SRB are also really good. First saw them when they were support at the Marillion Convention at Wolves in 2015 (we worked out that Rothery had been on stage for over 3 hours that night!) and went straight out and bought the Ghosts of Pripyat. Seen them 3 or 4 times since including at the now burnt down O2 in Glasgow (it was next door to the Art School and was ruined in that fire).

I will get tickets for Glasgow on the Marillo tour in September but I am also probably going to be down for Scaleforum so a trip to the Waterside would be good. I can think of at least one other railway modeller who might come along also! Tickets on sale Friday I believe.

Cheers

CDG

John McAleely
Web Team

Re: Finally Made A Start in P4!

Postby John McAleely » Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:15 pm

CDGFife wrote:It will be controlled by a pair of Arduinos, one for control and with a DC power shield to run the locos in "local" (rather than "layout") control mode, and the other to control the stepper motor via an 8825 driver.

Reaching back a bit, may I ask what ‘local’ mode is?

CDGFife

Postby CDGFife » Sun Mar 20, 2022 11:12 am

HI John,

When I built the traverser Cadhay was DC control, but the track was only live when the signalling was correctly operated, i.e. no signals = no juice. Foreseeing that the traverser operator may want to run round their train within the fiddle yard, I used the Arduino DC power shield to provide "local" track power to the fiddle yard only to allow this, with the fiddle yard operator having the opportunity to switch to that from "layout" power when the signals were reversed thus cancelling full layout track power.

Actually it never got used (apart from the video and some testing) as we've now gone DCC so I've provided a controller socket at the fiddle yard to achieve the same thing and the track relays have been limited to the entry and exit to the scenic section so the layout still has to be operated properly to get a through train.

HTH

CDG

CDGFife

Postby CDGFife » Thu Nov 03, 2022 8:15 pm

Article on Cadhay in the latest Hornby magazine out today. Pics ok apart from the one caption error!

Chris

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Sun Dec 11, 2022 9:13 am

CDGFife wrote:Article on Cadhay in the latest Hornby magazine out today. Pics ok apart from the one caption error!

And a very good read it was too :-)

Thanks for flagging the article - as someone that doesn't normally look at Hornby Magazine, it would have passed me by. I picked up a copy a couple of weeks ago, and have been browsing through it since.

It's also inspired this topic, which I hope that a wide range of Society members will contribute to, over the months and years to come.

https://www.scalefour.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=8407

Best wishes,
Paul
www.5522models.co.uk

CDGFife

Postby CDGFife » Sun Dec 11, 2022 9:36 am

Thanks Paul,

Hornby Mag does have some reasonable stuff in it regularly, so always worth a quick browse in WHS to see if it's worth buying!!

Good idea for the thread about articles.

Cheers

CDG

CDGFife

Postby CDGFife » Tue Apr 25, 2023 1:09 pm

Time for an update or two.

Cadhay has started going round the bend! The eagle eyed might have spotted that the Cadhay plan in the latest Snooze just arrived is different to anything seen previously. This is because the plan to add two curved boards to take us 90 degrees has started. Here's a couple of pictures of the first of these as at last week. Second one is all drawn up and awaiting some time on the laser cutter amongst work stuff!

7.jpg

8.jpg

And work has also started on the Mill building that goes in the (currently) purple hole:

6.jpg

9.jpg

This is based on the lovely Tipton Mill which is just upstream of Tipton St Johns bridge over the river Otter. Fortunately some good photos exist of most of it and some kind soul on Flickr has a zoomable pic of the main elevation that has enabled brick counting etc. I've had to shorten it a little, swap sides of the river and thus mirror the plan to sit it better in my landscape but it should hopefully be recognisable to anyone familiar with the original building.

The build itself is a 3 or 4 layer lamination using 1.5mm greyboard laser cut/etched with the mortar lines, 300gsm card for the windows/doors etc and then a further 1.5mm greyboard carcass inside. Still got to paint the mortar at the corner to get rid of the black! The stonework at the base was laser relief engraved into more greyboard and then painted.

You may also notice that the ends of this baseboard are identical in profile - this is because the board has to be reversible, on account of it needing to turn left in my workshop and right at Exhibitions. Nothing like making life complicated! thank goodness for the laser cutter.

Finally I did a little scenic diorama workshop for the East Group last month and using one of the spare bases I filmed the creation for my (new) Youtube channel. 3 of the 4 parts are up now here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEpCDw ... Dvxd9Zxjkw
so if you're interested in scenic techniques, or been inspired by John Farmer's grass piece in this latest Snooze, have a look.

Cheers for now

Chris

CDGFife

Postby CDGFife » Fri Apr 28, 2023 11:08 am

Quick post to advise anyone that is interested that the 4th and final part of the East Group Scenic diorama video is now up on my YouTube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEpCDw ... Dvxd9Zxjkw

Cheers

CDG

CDGFife

Postby CDGFife » Sat Apr 29, 2023 10:53 am

Bit more work on the Tipton Mill building and first placing into the scenery to make sure it fits.

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

Filler/grout mix and texture still obviously to cover the purple sheet.

Cheers

Chris

Serjt-Dave

Postby Serjt-Dave » Sun Apr 30, 2023 7:57 pm

Hi Chris, thanks for sharing your scenic videos. I've watched, enjoyed and hopefully learnt something.

All Best

Dave

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:58 pm

Chris, interesting that you have real live foliage inside your railway room...

Philip

CDGFife

Postby CDGFife » Mon May 01, 2023 9:07 am

Dave - glad you enjoyed the videos. Hoping to get a few more up at some point.

Phil - Yes the dreaded ivy has got in. Fortunately this is not the actual railway room, that is at the back of this space which is the workshop we inherited 22 years ago when we moved in. Its provenance is that it was one of the original site cabins from the early 70s build of the Longannet power station in Fife, now demolished, where the guy we bought the house from had done some joinery work. For about the last 10 years I've been thinking it's time to knock it down and rebuild as it's really starting to show it's age, with timbers failing and gaps opening, so when the ivy got in we just started cutting it back knowing that eventually we'll demolish and rebuild! If only I had unlimited time and money.

Cheers

CDG

garethashenden

Postby garethashenden » Mon May 01, 2023 3:50 pm

I like the look of that mill! But then I’ve always had a soft spot for brick mills.

Neil Smith

Postby Neil Smith » Mon May 01, 2023 5:41 pm

Serjt-Dave wrote:Hi Chris, thanks for sharing your scenic videos. I've watched, enjoyed and hopefully learnt something.

All Best

Dave

What he said...!

Thanks Chris, those videos are really helpful!

Return to “Layouts and Operations”