Hessle Haven - a model of a railway

Tell us about your layout, where you put it, how you built it, how you operate it.
mikemeg

Re: Hessle Haven - a model of a railway

Postby mikemeg » Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:27 pm

Kos wrote:I've only just tuned in to Hessle Haven, though some time ago I cut out of Snooze a pic of Mikemeg's bridge as an inspirational pic.

Where are you Mikemeg, I'd like to see how you are getting on with Hessle Haven.

Stuart

Astonishingly, this thread is still here and, apart from the last few postings, is just as I left it quite a few years ago.

In reply to the above question, I let my Society membership lapse, simply because I briefly stopped any modelling activities and then moved locale and was then ill for a few months. On returning to the model making I really never got around to re-joining the Society, which I should have done. Anyway, that I have now done.

For the last six years I have been largely building locomotives, especially those of the old North Eastern, though I have also been building the various signal models for Hessle Haven, all of which had to be scratch built. The original 4mm drawings, which I did prior to building these models, are actually shown on one of the postings on Page 1 of this thread along with my entreaties that I didn't then know how these could be built. Anyway, I did work out ways of building these very large lattice structures and a few other techniques as well!

Now I am building the third section of the layout a photo of which I will post just as soon as there is something to see!

So, a photo or two of those same signal models which were just pipedreams when this thread was first constituted.

Cheers

Mike
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by mikemeg on Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jim s-w

Postby jim s-w » Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:29 pm

Good to see you back Mike
Jim Smith-Wright

http://www.p4newstreet.com

Over thinking often leads to under doing!

mikemeg

Postby mikemeg » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:40 pm

jim s-w wrote:Good to see you back Mike

Thanks Jim. Good to be back.

Since I left I've concentrated on loco building and have built or converted some thirty locos almost all of which were originally built by the old North Eastern Railway. Many of these were the test builds for Arthur Kimber's range of North Eastern Kits.

The loco stud is terribly unbalanced in favour of tank locos - 4 x A6 4-6-2 tanks, 2 x T1 4-8-0 tanks, 3 x G5 0-4-4 tanks, 4 x J72 0-6-0 tanks, 3 x J77 0-6-0 tanks, J73, J71, N10 and so it goes on though the B15, B16/1, D20, J24 and J25, Tenant, Q5/2, Q7 tender locos are all represented as well. My current concession to the later LNER designs is a solitary Bachmann J39, much rebuilt and converted to P4, which is featured in the original part of this thread.

One of the problems modelling the Hull area, in 1950, is that there was a profusion of locomotive classes allocated and/or working into/through the town. The four Hull loco sheds had examples of some forty classes/sub classes allocated and at least as many again would regularly work into/out of Hull on freights or on the weekend excursions passing through on their way to Bridlington or Scarborough. As well as North Eastern classes, there were representatives from the old Great Central, Great Northern, Great Eastern, L&Y, Midland, LNWR and LNER and LMS classes to be seen. So a huge variety to legitimately build for the layout; far more than I can ever build.

So now, as well as continuing to build Hessle Haven, I shall have to build a model of a fairly substantial North Eastern loco shed. Selby (sans part of its roof) would be good; or perhaps one of the larger 'straight sheds'.

Anyway, once again, thanks for the welcome.

Cheers

Mike
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by mikemeg on Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

DougN

Postby DougN » Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:54 am

Mike, it is good to have you back in the "fold" so to speak... I have been following your RMweb thread on and off, as my interest is the LNER but based around York so a lot of NER rollingstock!
Doug
Still not doing enough modelling

mikemeg

Postby mikemeg » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:50 am

DougN wrote:Mike, it is good to have you back in the "fold" so to speak... I have been following your RMweb thread on and off, as my interest is the LNER but based around York so a lot of NER rollingstock!

Thanks Doug.

Here's one that would certainly have been seen at York, for it once had the entire class, all sixty nine of them, allocated there.

Cheers

Mike
Last edited by mikemeg on Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

mikemeg

Postby mikemeg » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:55 am

And here are a couple more that would have appeared regularly at York.

Both of these are Arthur's North Eastern Kits. The model with Worsdell frames - the lower photo - is the test build of this kit; the one with Raven frames was built from the production kit. Both photos taken when the models were in their brass state.

As it can be some time before I paint the models, I store them in a de-humidified cupboard which slows down the tarnishing of the brass enormously.

I'll take new photos when I finish painting these two; they are in the paint shop now.

Cheers

Mike
Last edited by mikemeg on Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

iak

Postby iak » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:31 pm

The NER may not be an interest of mine but by they had some grand engines.
Verily rather gorgeous sir :thumb
Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest
enemy of truth....
Albert Einstein

Perfection is impossible.
But I may choose to serve perfection....
Robert Fripp

https://www.facebook.com/groups/PadgateWorks/

mikemeg

Postby mikemeg » Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:45 pm

iak wrote:The NER may not be an interest of mine but by they had some grand engines.
Verily rather gorgeous sir :thumb

Ian,

You've probably seen all of these photo before, on another web site, but thank you for the kind words, all the same.

Yes, the North Eastern had some lovely locomotives but then most of the locos designed in the late Victorian and the Edwardian eras were just lovely. Beautifully proportioned, clean unencumbered lines and superbly finished in elaborate liveries, they must have been quite a sight!

I'm led to believe that the contenders for the wishlist of future developments by either Hornby or Bachmann does include both the B16 and the D20. If this happens, it'll be interesting to see how the bogie swing on the B16 and the absence of bogie wheel cut outs in the mainframes of the D20's is handled. Simlarly the G5, which TMC have commissioned from Bachmann, had the same arrangement on its trailing bogie, where the prototype's mainframes were pinched in by 1.5" on each side to allow for the bogie wheel swing.

Talking of G5's, here are three that I built earlier this year, awaiting the paint shop and then the final detailing. And none of these, or the D20's, have bogie wheel cut outs! So all are limited to curves of a minimum 3' 6" radius. That's why I went P4, all those years ago!!

Cheers

Mike
Last edited by mikemeg on Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

DougN

Postby DougN » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:02 am

Thanks Mike, I have a mostly built up G5 to complete and a D17 which is in a similar state of incompletness. I need to resolve the operation of the bogies and the best way to mount and have them operate. I havn't had much time this month but I do have a long weekend comming up, the one after next! I may need some of your assistance when I get the time free!
Doug
Still not doing enough modelling

Colin Parks

Postby Colin Parks » Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:24 pm

Hello Mike, I am very impressed by your loco' and signal building! It almost seems a shame to paint the loco's.

Colin

mikemeg

Postby mikemeg » Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:56 pm

Colin Parks wrote:Hello Mike, I am very impressed by your loco' and signal building! It almost seems a shame to paint the loco's.

Colin

Thanks Colin. I manage a reasonable rate of progress on their building but nowhere near the same rate on the painting. That's why I made the de-humidified cupboard.

I've only just got around to the painting of the last of my four A6's which is now awaiting lining, though this one languished in grey primer for a year or two. As my layout is set in mid 1950, then most of the locomotives are finished in the tired and weather worn state of those immediate post war years. Every now and again I make an exception and paint one ex-works. So this one, which will be 69791 is being done as it was the day after it emerged from a general overhaul; pristine in satin black!

Someone suggested that I have a thing about these A6 tanks! Not true! Though for me these ten locos, which by 1946 were all different, were just about as good as tank locomotives got. Amazing, when the original 4-6-0 tanks were really unbalanced looking but when they were rebuilt to 4-6-2's, then they were aesthetically transformed.

Cheers

Mike

Colin Parks

Postby Colin Parks » Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:57 pm

Hello Mike,

I would agree that that the A6 tank looks very pleasing on the eye. It must have been a major rebuilding program for the NER to re-configure the wheel arangement. I suppose in those days, a locomotive works took orders from the CME and just got on with it.

My usual sphere is interest is Southern Electric and EMUs, but I like to look at well made steam engine models too!

Colin

Andy W

Postby Andy W » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:09 pm

What I love about those G5s (amongst lots of other things) is the impression of sheer weight you’ve captured. They look like real hard working engines.
Make Worcestershire great again.
Build a wall along the Herefordshire border and make them pay for it.

mikemeg

Postby mikemeg » Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:46 am

Colin Parks wrote:Hello Mike,

I would agree that that the A6 tank looks very pleasing on the eye. It must have been a major rebuilding program for the NER to re-configure the wheel arangement. I suppose in those days, a locomotive works took orders from the CME and just got on with it.

My usual sphere is interest is Southern Electric and EMUs, but I like to look at well made steam engine models too!

Colin

Thanks Colin. The real reason that the original 4-6-0 tanks were reconfigured was to allow the bunker capacity to be increased. The 4-6-0 tanks were found to have insufficient coal and water capacity so the bunker was significantly lengthened, necessitating an extenson to the mainframes (which were attached with a large casting) and a carrying axle.

Made them into something much more imposing in appearance.

Cheers

Mike
Last edited by mikemeg on Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

mikemeg

Postby mikemeg » Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:58 am

Andy W wrote:What I love about those G5s (amongst lots of other things) is the impression of sheer weight you’ve captured. They look like real hard working engines.

Thank you for the comments. I'm not sure how that impression is captured though I do have a whole sequence of things which I do which might contribute to that. Not least photographing them from a low angle so that they 'tower' over the camera. I also light them, very carefully, prior to photographing them. Only takes a minute but the difference; well I leave it to you to judge!

Most of these things - steam locomotives - were 'broodily massive' pieces of engineering. The result, more often than not, was a machne which was pleasing on the eye, sometimes handsome and oft times simply beautiful. The A4's - surely one of the most beautiful of any machines ever made - still capture the imagination of whole new generations who only see one occasionally; just as they captured our imaginations on a daily basis. They are as iconic as the Spitfire or Cutty Sark.

I'm still learning this loco building but then I will always (as long as I can continue to build them) be learning, though as a septagenarian I'm not sure how much longer my eyesight (which is still good) and my steadiness of hand (which is also still spot on) will hold up.

One thing which I do try and achieve is the absence of solder on the outside of the model. Wherever possible all soldering is done from the inside. Where that is not possible then once soldered, I rigorously clean off any excess with a file or scraper and then burnish with a glass fibre brush. I can go through seven, eight or more fibre refills on a single loco!! But I like them to shine!!

Here's another one of Arthur's North Eastern Kits; this one the test build of the LNER/BR J25. Again awaiting the painting and final detailing!

Regards

Mike

mikemeg

Postby mikemeg » Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:18 am

And seen overflying Hessle Haven, on a glorious summer's day, were these.

Actually these are real and were photographed, along with dozens of others, on a glorious summer's day this year, at the Royal International Air Tattoo at RAF Fairford, in Gloucestershire. Me and 160,000 other folk, over the three days.

Off topic, I know, but just simply beautiful.

For the technically minded, the photos were taken on a Canon EOS 1100D SLR with a telephoto lens, at a shutter speed of 1/4000th of a second. Thus the props, which are revolving at around 2,400 rpm /40 revs per second, are 'stopped'. The Spitfires were probably travelling at around 300 mph or 440 feet/second.

Cheers

Mike
Last edited by mikemeg on Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:07 am, edited 4 times in total.

dal-t

Postby dal-t » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:44 am

Still o/t, but just have to say I've always thought the Desert Air Force camo suits a Spit best. High Speed Silver I'm not so sure about.
David L-T

mikemeg

Postby mikemeg » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:52 am

dal-t wrote:Still o/t, but just have to say I've always thought the Desert Air Force camo suits a Spit best. High Speed Silver I'm not so sure about.

And as a final (unless someone else posts!) o/t comment :-

Yes agreed, for the camo on the Spitfire, but you should have seen the camo/livery of the two Russian (Ukranian Air Force) Sukhoi Su 27's; a very striking blue/turquoise/pink/grey concoction on an awesomely beautiful aeroplane. I took photos of those, too! I believe this was the first time that current generation Russian fighter aircraft have ever been seen, at any airshow!

Didn't get a lot of time to take the first photo, as this thing was travelling at around 650 mph (they're capable of well over twice that speed) - roughly 950 feet/second; so around 1/10th second to get this side on shot! And this thing shook the ground across a large part of Gloucestershire as it went through its paces; just incredibly loud!

Again taken with a shutter opening of 1/4000th of a second, so even though this was travelling at quite close to the speed of sound, it covered only 3 inches while the camera shutter was open.

End of o/t.

Cheers

Mike
Last edited by mikemeg on Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:48 pm, edited 20 times in total.

mikemeg

Postby mikemeg » Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:49 am

I think that any more loco posts should really go into the Steam Locomotive topic area, elsewhere in the forum. So I'll reproduce some of these postings in that topic area and leave this thread to cover the layout. Or, perhaps I'll post loco photos in both of them?

Cheers

Mike

mikemeg

Postby mikemeg » Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:45 pm

Passing through Hessle Haven, in something of a time warp, is this; an LNER Q5/2, still in LNER livery (rusty black) and perhaps two years after its withdrawal. The layout is set in mid 1950; this was withdrawn, I think, in 1948. This was the first test build of Arthur Kimber's North Eastern Kits and my first build of an etched kit!

These were LNER rebuilds of ex-NER Q5's with boilers 'rescued' from ex Hull and Barnsley 0-8-0's. They were classified as Q5/2's, leaving the unrebuilt locos to become Q5/1's.

Though a few of these Q5/2's survived into BR days, I'm not sure if any ever carried their BR number or markings, hence this being in LNER 'livery' - rusty, kna---red, black.

'Somewhere, quite close to this place, there is a long disused locoshed where, from time to time, old relics are found languishing in the dark, dusty and long forgotten recesses of an old shed road. Recesses where few if any folk ever go! Some of these relics are actually in working order and can be steamed - this one! Who knows what else might be found there?' If only!!

I did fear that I wouldn't be able to source P4 Track Company products to build the next section(s) of this layout but, as I read through the forum, thanks to Andrew Jukes and others, it is once more available!

Cheers

Mike
Last edited by mikemeg on Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kos

Postby Kos » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:27 pm

Some lovely engines - great to see them! And the signals too.

mikemeg

Postby mikemeg » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:43 am

Kos wrote:Some lovely engines - great to see them! And the signals too.

Thank you. In truth I have far too many locomotives for the layout but I do enjoy building them, especially those which would once have been seen in the area where I grew up. So the layout has become the preserve of a whole new generation of spotters - all about 20 mm tall - sitting on the bridge over the railway by the shipyard and the gasworks and wondering what will come through next. Once this loco building fest is over then I have some part of the shipyard and the gasworks to build. It will lack that all pervading smell of coal gas and the constant banging and clattering of the shipyard, but it may serve to remind me and a few others of how the railway looked, now more than half a century ago.

Once again, many thanks for the comments; much appreciated.

Cheers

Mike

mikemeg

Postby mikemeg » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:36 am

Will the moderators allow me one more blatant off topic digression? This only because an earlier posting, showing a Russian made fighter jet, occassioned a Private Mail asking if I had taken any photos of British or American made fast jets. The answer is very definitely yes, I took about 150 photos of various current generation fast jets on that July day.

So I will show just one and this is particularly topical as the aircraft, as with many RAF aircraft that day, carried the commemeration of the RAF's one hundred years existence (1918 - 2018) on its tailplane.

So this is one of the RAF's current fighter aircraft, again travelling at quite high speed, around 600 mph (see the diamonds in the jet exhaust) and again taken with a very high speed shutter setting - 1/4000th of a second - and a window of around 1/20th second - 50 microseconds - to get the shot as it passed. So, despite being a septagenarian, the reactions are still reasonably good.

The Typhoon Eurofighter.

Cheers

Mike

mikemeg

Postby mikemeg » Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:40 am

Getting back to the layout and the railway, this is another photo of this place - Hessle Haven - showing, perhaps a little more clearly, the entry roads to Hull's New Inward Marshalling Yard, which was opened around 1936. The gasworks coal siding is also clearly visible, though the North Eastern slotted post signal, which controlled the reversing movement from the up slow onto the gasworks siding, has gone by this time.

Not clearly visible, though lying between the foreground signal bridge and the signal box were the entry to Mineral Marshalling Yard and the exit from Empty Mineral Yard. These three marshalling yards plus the outward yard and the fish sidings, once constituted one of the largest marshallng yard complexes, in the world.

Interesting that the four track main line, which is spaced 10', 6', 10' in the foreground, narrows to 6', 6', 6' spacing beyond the signal box. This necessitated all signals on that section effectively spanning the formation.

The cottages in the left foreground, and a two track main line with no diverging lines, are all that is left of this scene.

Cheers

Mike

mikemeg

Postby mikemeg » Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:39 pm

This thread is based around a real place - Hessle Haven - just outside Hull and on the main line from Hull to Doncaster, Selby and all points beyond. But Hessle, which is now a suburb of Hull but was once a separate village, is also on that same line. Once this line was a four track affair with paired up and down lines i.e. up slow, up fast, down fast, down slow (now reduced to two lines these many years) and there was a typical North Eastern station at Hessle, complete with goods yard, signal box, etc.

Anyway, one day I might just get around to building the station so this is part of what it looked like, way back in the 1950's and 60's. Like many country stations, it was just a delight with its gas lighting, semaphore signals and that air of tidyness which the railway seemed to exhibit, even if everything was old and often worn out.

More of these quite wonderful black and white photos - well one is actually sepia - courtesy Mick Nicholson. The first of the photos is pre-First World War and yet, apart from the signal brackets being replaced by LNER/BR brackets, the station was just as we knew it in the late 1950's/early 1960's - even the gas lamps - as depicted in the second photo. Of course, now it is unmanned and much changed. The signal box and semaphore signals are all gone, the woodwork and footbridge need a coat of paint and the place has lost that air of timeless delight, which once it had!

Cheers

Mike

Return to “Layouts and Operations”