Llanfyllin

Tell us about your layout, where you put it, how you built it, how you operate it.
TEZBEDZ

Llanfyllin

Postby TEZBEDZ » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:09 pm

Here are a few photos of llanfyllin. I have the first two of four boards built (4 included fiddle yard)

First station board is well under way, the second is in progress track laid, landscaped and some buildings part built.

2012 03 26_0121_edited-1.jpg

2012 03 26_0124_edited-1.jpg

P9065066_edited-1.jpg

PA175116_edited-1.jpg

I am currently working on the Goods Shed, Cattle Dock and the hardly photographed House and Stable between the Signal Box and Engine Shed.

Once complete (or I get bored) I need to work on some more rolling stock.

Lots to do.................

PS I know about the Signal box roof being loose and the washouse chimney needs painting. It also looks like the main chimney is slightly wonky. (that may have to stay as it is)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards

Terry

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Re: Llanfyllin

Postby Terry Bendall » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:08 am

Brilliant work Terry! :D

Terry Bendall

Rod Cameron

Postby Rod Cameron » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:00 am

That's looking very nice - how long is it going to be, 16ft or so overall?
Rod

TEZBEDZ

Postby TEZBEDZ » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:37 am

16ft long. It is currently on 4ft x 2 ft boards, but, there will need to be 3 x 4ft x a maximum of 1ft added to the front. This will enable the cement sidings to be modelled, with possibly part of the river in the foreground.

My biggest problem is that my shed is only 9ft long, but, as things advance I should be ablt to erect half of the layout on each side with a possible 4 ft radius double track semi circle attached to the out side of the shed to enable running. Ideally I would like a larger shed but, the domestic management may not appreciate me building an even bigger hideout.

It is currently resting on brackets fitted to the side of the shed which enables me to upend it to work on wiring and point linkages underneath as my back does not appreciate working underneath the model
Regards

Terry

Mike Garwood

Postby Mike Garwood » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:37 pm

That looks superb, really caught a whiff of steam looking at the pictures! Any more photos to show off...please?

Mike

TEZBEDZ

Postby TEZBEDZ » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:48 am

Last night I finished installing the Cattle Dock, and put the finishing touches to the sllotments.

I thought I would take some photos to put on RMWEB and here just to show some progress. I had the DSLR on a bean bag n the track snapping away, then thought what a jolly idea to put one of my cattle wagons next to the dock.

Took a couple more shots then thought right thats enough. I lifted the camera up and dropped it The cattle wagon is broken into its component parts, but, worse still a section of the scratch built cattle dock has been shattered. Hurumph............ I didn't swear, I remained calm and philosophical and took a photo of the damage (will post it on here this evening)

An important lesson has been learnt.

No one was injured, (in fact a character I had seated on the edge of the Dock didn't move) Its not the end of the world its just a small set back.

I will never ever lean over a layout at an exhibition to take that special photo ever again.................
Regards

Terry

Andy W

Postby Andy W » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:58 am

Terry, I'm sure there's a wave of empathy and sympathy emanating from this forum.
Make Worcestershire great again.
Build a wall along the Herefordshire border and make them pay for it.

TEZBEDZ

Postby TEZBEDZ » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:27 pm

Before
PB185182_edited-2.jpg

And After

OOOPs

PB185183_edited-2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards

Terry

LesGros

Postby LesGros » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:55 pm

Ouch! :(
LesG

The man who never made a mistake
never made anything useful

DougN

Postby DougN » Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:31 am

I suspect the individual on seated on the dock edge may be a little more stuck than previously after that fright.

It is one thing that I am thinking about as I have purchased a macro lens for my Nikon 3100. It is weighty but I could see that level of damage quite easily occuring if droped! I will make sure that the little tripod I use is well ballanced.

Definitely something I will be careful of.
Doug
Still not doing enough modelling

nigelcliffe

Postby nigelcliffe » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:22 am

Caption competition... Man on cattle dock, "It wasn't me guv, it was them aliens with their space ship.. great big thing with flashing lights on it and a big eye on the front. I think I heard a Scottish voice on the ship shouting at Dai Lithy Um before it crashed into the cattle wagon with Lord Emsworth's pig in it. Took the prize pig as well, so maybe the space ship belonged to Sir Gregory Parslow-Parslow"

:?:

Hopefully the repairs won't take too long to complete.

One small comment on the model pictures from the top of the thread; the station building looks to have a small gap under it where it sits on the platform. Possibly worth a little bit of attention ?

- Nigel

Andy W

Postby Andy W » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:29 am

I'm worried about the man on the dock, he's likely to develop Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome. Keep an eye on him as this might not be obvious for a number of years - 12 in reality, but scaled down to 4mm that could be a matter of days.

TEZBEDZ

Postby TEZBEDZ » Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:27 pm

Ealing wrote:I'm worried about the man on the dock, he's likely to develop Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome. Keep an eye on him as this might not be obvious for a number of years - 12 in reality, but scaled down to 4mm that could be a matter of days.

Good point, It actually took 29 years before I got help and was diagnosed, my wife doesn't call me grumpy quite so often now, and I have got the perfect excuse to disappear out to the shed for an hour or two
Regards

Terry

Will L

Postby Will L » Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:40 pm

Ealing wrote:... but scaled down to 4mm that could be a matter of days.

There is no such thing as scale time.

Will

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:08 pm

Says who?
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

John Fitton

Postby John Fitton » Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:15 pm

Will L wrote:
Ealing wrote:... but scaled down to 4mm that could be a matter of days.

There is no such thing as scale time.

Will

Well if we consider gravity, the material properties of all of our models, and molecular motion, maybe we should have not only scale time but scale temperature as well. There might be a case for operating an outdoor P4 railway in a Canadian winter.......

Will L

Postby Will L » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:01 pm

Tim V wrote:Says who?

Einstein.

Andy W

Postby Andy W » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:02 pm

It's funny that members are questioning the nature of time, while the idea that a 20mm plastic figure can suffer a debilatating pyschological condition goes unchallenged.

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:16 pm

That figure doesn't care - it's frozen in time.....
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

TEZBEDZ

Postby TEZBEDZ » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:35 pm

Not anymore he isn't, I had to move him along to allow the fencing contractors access. I have cleaned him up and offered counselling all he was worried about was, "What time it is?"

The Wagon has had the chassis repaired and just needs the bodywork fitting, the fencing is almost complete, will finish that tomorrow then the shed will be locked for a couple of weeks as I take my wife down to Falklands Islands to show her the wildlife and battlefields and get her to meet the Islanders who I have befriended over the years. May get to see the railway at San Carlos, but, otherwise will not be thinking about them until I get back.
Regards

Terry

Return to “Layouts and Operations”