1st P4 layout - Endex

Tell us about your layout, where you put it, how you built it, how you operate it.
Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Re: 1st P4 layout - Endex

Postby Terry Bendall » Fri May 26, 2017 9:26 pm

Knuckles wrote:Doubting this post will interest many for a variety of reasons but I feel it deserves to be explained fully.

I am sure some at least will find it interesting and perhaps the majority will read it through to the end as I have. In some ways perhaps a bit sad but in many other ways very positive. We can all learn from our own mistakes and from the mistakes of others, where they are brave enough to make them public. Good luck with the future projects.

Terry Bendall

Knuckles

Postby Knuckles » Sat May 27, 2017 2:44 am

Tim V wrote:Enough material there for two articles, if you want to?

Sure, one or two, thanks for the offer. If you are interested could you send me a PM with some guidelines and possible changes in? If two what would be the purpose or subject difference?

I know already a lot of areas that could do with being chopped (my drivel mainly) and there are a few things I would like to add.

Terry Bendall wrote:
Knuckles wrote:Doubting this post will interest many for a variety of reasons but I feel it deserves to be explained fully.

I am sure some at least will find it interesting and perhaps the majority will read it through to the end as I have. In some ways perhaps a bit sad but in many other ways very positive. We can all learn from our own mistakes and from the mistakes of others, where they are brave enough to make them public. Good luck with the future projects.

Terry Bendall

Thanks Terry, breaking a layout up is never a moment of happification (!) yet is needed sometimes to make way for better things.
Also admitting mistakes is something I often do. People may hide a lot of them for pride reasons or fear of looking incompetent, I however mostly see it as a way of helping others not make the same pigs ears. I have learnt a ton in my life simple by observing and avoiding other people's mistakes so I try to carry that through to my modelling. Thanks for the read, will revise it.
“He who dares not offend cannot be honest.” Thomas Paine

https://www.sparkshotcustomcreations.com/
Mostly 3D Printed Loco kits etc.

SCC Price list (7/4/22)
https://www.sparkshotcustomcreations.co ... e77d42.pdf

essdee

Postby essdee » Tue May 30, 2017 8:48 pm

Hi Gavin,

I have only just skimmed the first part of this, and it struck me that you have taken a sensible and brave decision, but that you have also been brave enough to post here, at some length. Your next version will start from a firmer foundation and should proceed more routinely, with your new skills and understanding. I found myself thinking "article for the new Editor" as I scrolled down - even before I read the comments of others!

Yes, go for it! And I think that the process of refining your initial account, itemising what went wrong/right, what needed to be better, should help you clarify how you tackle the next project...

All the best with it, and I will be one of your readers ! I have my own first P4 layout to plan/build, after all.......

Cheers,

Steve

Knuckles

Postby Knuckles » Wed May 31, 2017 9:42 am

Thanks Steve, always a pleasure reading your posts, in or out of the magazine. :)

I have the same issue we all have now, deciding what to put in what spaces. Part of me wants the roundy roundy's still and part of me thinks putting them off for a future possible property might be more sensible due to better conditions and more space. Yet part of me (as above written) is also thinking pepper-potting two end to end layouts might be the way to go. My thoughts being I would build a 00-SF layout to allow me to run oodles of stuff already obtained over the years and in doing so I can still practice track building. Once wiring is done and scenery start then move on to another P4 layout going across the other wall or above. This way a variety of modelling jobs can be shuffled without getting so bogged down in one job, it just means progress on each would be slower. Then this way I would always have something to run whilst converting or building select items into P4.

Sounds a plan to me and I intend putting that in the articles too towards the end.

Thanks again.
“He who dares not offend cannot be honest.” Thomas Paine

https://www.sparkshotcustomcreations.com/
Mostly 3D Printed Loco kits etc.

SCC Price list (7/4/22)
https://www.sparkshotcustomcreations.co ... e77d42.pdf

Return to “Layouts and Operations”