1st P4 layout - Endex

Tell us about your layout, where you put it, how you built it, how you operate it.
Paul Willis
Forum Team

Re: 1st P4 layout

Postby Paul Willis » Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:38 pm

Knuckles wrote:Not a lot of railway modelling in half a year, but still forward motion. Comments welcome whether good or bad. I know the 'tin foil' effect windows may attract some criticism and I expect it! :D

I had a trog over to your Youtube video. Nice explanation of all that you've been up to :-)

Regarding the windows, it's quite difficult to tell exactly what they are like because the light and reflections bouncing from them don't make it entirely clear in the pictures. What I would say is that I wouldn't fret on it...

Factory windows come in all sizes, shapes and pollutions! I'm confident that somewhere, near a railway, is a factory (probably involved in the production of noxious acids!) that has windows that look just like yours. If you try and do more to them, you'll kick yourself if something goes wrong and you really do have to start them again.

Chill, be happy :-)

HTH
Flymo
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

Noel

Postby Noel » Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:48 pm

Knuckles, slates were fixed either to horizontal battens, or to horizontal close boarding. Either way, the slater had a guide to the levels, so each row was laid horizontally and parallel to the others. Slates were nailed to the battens or boarding; the nail holes were either about an inch from the top, or about in the middle. Either way the vertical overlaps left about 40% of the slate visible from outside. There were no horizontal overlaps within any row; each row overlapped the one below by 50% of a slate. Slates varied considerably in size, from 12" x 6" to 36" x 24". Generally, the steeper the pitch, the smaller the slate used. Differing sizes were sometimes used on one roof for decorative purposes, but not on large utilitarian buildings. Roofs of 1:5 pitch commonly used 24" x 12", roofs of 1:4 pitch 20" x 10".

Any slates which cracked or lifted would not normally affect other slates, unless there was a serious underlying structural issue. Slate roofs, so long as there was no structural problem, would look something like this, although the rooflights, which have affected the weathering pattern, are presumably later additions:

Roof 1.jpg

Vegetation will grow only where there is an adequate water supply, which means that where it grows on a roof, if at all, depends on what structures there are above the level of the main roof. For an extreme case where a chimney has resulted in growth of vegetation on parts of the roof:

Roof 2.jpg

The colour on the tiles is most probably lichen of various types rather than moss.

Noel
Regards
Noel

shipbadger

Postby shipbadger » Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:35 pm

Probably worth pointing out that lichens are good indicators of air pollution. The amount seen growing on roofs nowadays is considerably more than in years past. They are particularly sensitive to sulphur compounds in the air and would be absent or much reduced near chimney stacks of coal burning fires, including factory furnaces etc.. As a rough rule of thumb it takes about two years for lichens to become noticeable on a new roof; although I have seen some appearing after twelve months in recent years. Moss growth tends to be in damp places or where there is little direct sunlight to dry out a roof. Once established it can create it's own water reservoir. I have a roof on a single storey extension to my house covered in it. Blocked guttering and downpipes can lead to the growth of other plants, things like buddlea; until recently the church roof I can see out of the window had quite a respectable birch tree up aloft!

Tony Comber

Noel

Postby Noel » Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:42 pm

I have found a rather better photo of a slate roof than the one in my previous post:

Roof 3.jpg

Noel
Regards
Noel

Knuckles

Postby Knuckles » Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:39 pm

Maybe the factory has something to do with BOW's and the rough windows are the remains of some...well, leave it to your imagination! Thanks for the advice. I did think to myself actually that if I gave them a 3rd coat they would probably look more like a 3D contour map of mountains than a flat window.

Many thanks also you guys collectively for the info. I didn't know that about slates and I'll take it on board. I could reduce the moss or add the roof vents I was thinking of but am unsure yet. This layout is all experimentation though so nothing has to be perfect but for when I do want to dig in it should help.

Either way the vertical overlaps left about 40% of the slate visible from outside. There were no horizontal overlaps within any row; each row overlapped the one below by 50% of a slate.

I apologise but the quote I am struggling to understand; it sounds a bit contradictory. Could you explain this in different words?

The construction method I used was one I've seen on a DVD where you get A5 squared paper and cut slats in all the 'slates' and glue a strip down two boxes (10cm's) deep, then overlap another by about half a 'tile'. I had a rough guide from one of Bachmann or Hornby's resin cast sheds.
“He who dares not offend cannot be honest.” Thomas Paine

https://www.sparkshotcustomcreations.com/
Mostly 3D Printed Loco kits etc.

SCC Price list (7/4/22)
https://www.sparkshotcustomcreations.co ... e77d42.pdf

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:30 pm

Could you explain this in different words?

really needs a drawing but I'll try in words first. (sketches here)
Take one horizontal row of slates, they just sit side by side, not overlapping each other, each has a nail hole central near the top to fix it to the batten below.
Then the next higher row covers 60% of the first row, ie leaving 40% visible, and each slate on the higher row is centered over the joint between slates in the row below, ie overlaps 50% horizontally. This leaves the nail heads of the lower row between the slates of the upper row, where rain could get to them, however when the third row is added covering 60% of the second row the nails for the lowest row are covered. So for the top 10% of the slates where the nail holes are the roof has 3 layers. (And the bottom layer has to be supported at the required angle so the second and subsequent layers sit properly).
Keith
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Noel

Postby Noel » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:58 am

Generally correct, Keith, except that slates have two nail holes, close to the edges [approx 1.25" in], so the nails in each row are actually covered by the row above. I suspect that the reason for two nails is that, with a single nail, slates could pivot on the nail.

Iron nails [usually galvanised or dipped in linseed oil] were already going out of use before WW1, replaced by copper, zinc or a copper/zinc/tin alloy, all non-corroding. I would guess that the double overlap of the slates is because of the risk of water being driven under the slates by storms and capilliary action, and the consequent need to ensure, so far as is possible, that it couldn't get far enough up the slate to reach the woodwork.

Noel
Regards
Noel

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:07 pm

Generally correct, Keith, except that slates have two nail holes,
My memory must be fading, probably is :), I could see the single holes in my mind, from helping Dad with repairs, what must be 60+ years ago.
Keith
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Mark Tatlow

Postby Mark Tatlow » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:58 pm

It is well worth getting the first two volumes of McKays Building Construction - go for the older versions circa 1965 or older.

These have loads of very well drawn and clear drawings of how buildings are built. They show such things as how arches are conceived and constructed, brick coursing and in the context here, how roofs are formed, flashings arranged etc. If you want to create realistic building construction, it is well worth trawling Amazon Market Place or ebay for (although you can get them cheaper than those presently listed on the latter).

Slates and traditional tiling are laid by what is known as "double lap", whereby approximately 60% of a tile is covered by the slates above - this ensures that the nail holes are always covered. A good description of this, how it works and diagrams of what it looks like can be found here http://www.matthewcharlton.com/departme ... with_slate

Unless you are showing a roof under construction, this is not that relevant so long as you get the right proportion projecting from the one above.
Mark Tatlow

Noel

Postby Noel » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:35 am

I'm using a 1917 ninth edition of 'Building Construction and Drawing' by C F Mitchell with G A Mitchell, which seems to have been a long lived textbook with many editions. Part 1 is the first stage or elementary course.

Noel
Regards
Noel

Knuckles

Postby Knuckles » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:17 pm

Greetings all. I will have to look into the slate issue for my next build, thanks for the info. This layout itself is loose so I'm not to worried, but anyway, here is a significant update in quite some time.

Time for a Bash.
I think this is the first time I have ever attempted to kitbash a building as the slate roof et al is a scratch build. Ok, here we go, nothing finescale, just good old bodge job bashing from me!

Firstly the sub roof....thingy. What is it? I have no idea, probably a boiler house or something as it has a fat chimney salvaged from my Vollmer Roundhouse shed kit (as are the main shed panels) and it will have a water tank of some description going on top...or a gas tank?? My lack of planning and vision clarity will probably make you question my sanity but my attempt at this layout is as originally stated, partly to try different building techniques, much about and experiment. I'm going for an industrial look, but impressionist will do for most of it. So, I started out with a bit of plastic card and cut a rough hole in. The roughness won't matter as I'll eventually 'seal' the chimney in place with a rubber washer or elastic band or something representing concrete, haven't decided yet.

I layered the top with some P600A abraisive paper for a textured look. I know the convention has evolved to not bother with it due to it being too course, but err...well I don't care. Wanted to try it. Looks good to me, just needs some light grey paint and dirt effect.
The handrails are too modern looking but again I don't care, I salvaged them from my old knackered Flieshmann turntable, drilled some holes and Bob's your Auntie. Ladder isn't refined or fixed yet but plonked for impression effect, good init. :shock:

Next is to make use of the old Dunster Station kit from Hornby. I've got the kit in bits part built and thought it'd make a good basis for a loading dock. It was glued together with...um, PVA. Yep, PVA, what the hell was in my mind I don't know but in my defence I was very very young. After spending about an hour scraping the glue and paper off you can see the basic difference.

Next the windows, you probably recognise it's from the Wills window kit. I had a look and thought of cutting all the Cubular (is it even a word??) holes out and rounding the tops, then I had another idea. Cut the tops of the windows to be Cubular (there's that word again!), cut the sides down to fit the space and use slivers to repair the tops to be even.

The massive Lion Flap at the top won't matter as it'll be covered over. This isn't' glued in yet.

As a reminder, my idea is to have the loading dock extend inside and become one with the shed. The theory (excuse) is that originally it was a 3 road/track shed, but then later they scrapped a line in favour for a platform. Gives me reason to model this effect of progression as it's how for no reason I can think of, I've wanted it to look for a long time. This pic gives the basic idea.

And finally the overall impression. You have to use your imagination but you get the idea I'm sure.

There you go, hope you enjoyed this instalment of mine as it indeed has been a while.
Chow for now, comments welcome, good or bad. 8-)

SCC Price list (7/4/22)

Noel

Postby Noel » Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:27 pm

Interesting. I wouldn't recommend getting involved with elastic bands - difficult if not impossible to stick and prone to serious degradation over relatively short timescales. I don't know what would have been done in reality, as quite a lot of water would have run down the windward side of a big chimney in a storm, so that is what you will need to look at. Large chimneys on the whole tended to be freestanding next to the buildings, with the flue either underground or horizontally through the wall to the chimney base.The only picture I have of a large chimney through a roof is unfortunately in a slated pitched roof and it isn't clear what is providing the seal [if anything!]

I also don't know when black and yellow came into use as hazard warning colours - sometime in the 1980s or 1990s? - not earlier as far as I know. Before that white was sometimes used, or the handrails would have been painted the same colour as the other metalwork.

Noel

Edited 14/8 to amend the comment about chimney flues.
Last edited by Noel on Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
Regards
Noel

shipbadger

Postby shipbadger » Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:07 pm

Hi all,

Always the little details that we notice at the time and then forget. When for example did the iron work of overbridges start to receive yellow/black stripes? Don't really need to know at the moment but one day..... Safety railings always used to be white, an American corporation bought the foundry down the road from me and before long all the railings became yellow as in US practice. A year ago the foundry was sold again, this time to the Canadians and guess what, the handrails have become white again!

Tony Comber

Knuckles

Postby Knuckles » Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:02 am

As to prototypical accuracy this layout is a large bag of nails. Purposely so too as I'm literally just faffing about on a whim trying things out. I think the hazard stripes were as you suggested, rather late. They be weathered qt some point or I could block colour them also if need be, but like the 3rd rail being replaced by a platform I could use excuse the railings are a recient replacement, oh the excuses! As I say, I have no clear serious vision with this layout, just fun and learning.
The chimney thing is just me trying to do a glorified boiler house thing.

SCC Price list (7/4/22)

Knuckles

Postby Knuckles » Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:46 pm

This BBB (Building Bash Bodge) started life as the Hornby Dunster Station kit. I used the main flat panels that came with the kit as the general basis idea, covered everything in plastic card brick, and for some of the windows I changed and some doors and windows I made my own by clipping off some of the protruding stone work. Lintels were plastic off cuts. I confess the lintels are a bit big.

This is no fine scale model I freely confess. I didn't put 100% effort into it either, no research or anything, just pure bodging freestyle. I don't even know what it does! But I'm learning ad enjoying it so that's all that really matters. Making the framework for the building bored me silly and is beyond wonky, but being a 75-80% relief building you don't really see it.

Ok, so from the previous pictures where I feasted your eyes on the Dunster station panels, I've pretty much gone and completed the whole thing for upload. Again, nothing is fine scale and it is a bit crude if I am honest, but the finished result I am surprised how well I reckon it has turned out. It's my first ever building that isn't a straight kit. so it is a kitbash with scratch built bits I guess you could say. Anyway, enough of my waffling.......Hmm, waffles. :D

This first picture shows it pretty much done. I ran out of drain pipe in the kit so had to cobble up my own, as a result it is a bit naff. Down pipe was bent plastic rod and the brackets behind were plastic strips. Simples. I also made a crude control box with dado.

I added a lip border thingy to the roof, this ensures any inebriated cats trespassing will trip over the lip and sub-sequentially fall off. Wonderful. I like cats, you don't believe me? No seriously I do.

Ok, I added the lip because I thought it would be an interesting modelling feature that I have seen on some real buildings....and that's about it really. Seeing as I didn't model a drain cover and another down pipe I guess it will one day turn into a rather unorthodox but eloquent water feature.

The wall rendering is another experiment of mine for no logical reason other than I wanted to try it and thought it might look interesting. P600 abrasive paper glued was the answer; maybe a tad over scale but no biggy.

Ok, now the model is painted and complete. I splodged and stippled some light grey weathering powder into paint to make the rendering even more out of scale, just to wind up really good S4 modellers. No not really, I did it as another experiment and then once dry I dusted it over again. Despite the over scale look I think it works. Maybe if I just dusted the abrasive paper it would have been enough, or maybe stippled the powder into the paint from a flat base. Lessons lessons.

Why is the cubed area of the building (Toilet Block?) boarded up instead of having a nice window in? Erm, some drunk got angry and punched it out or the author of this blog entry couldn't be bummed to scratch build a proper one. You choose. :) For the down pipe bracket wrap arounds I just painted some dark paint to represent them by impression. I know older brackets wee thick and chunky but I guess this is Bakalite or something. Why are some bricks missing you ask? Well err, that angry lager swiller abused it repeatedly with a sledge hammer or something. Or maybe he was wearing steel toe capped boots and just went for it...I dunno, eeeeuh.

Here we see my shutter door that keeps people away from the cat fighting racket inside, plus a large stash of exported...
I scribed some plastic card repeatedly but after a while the gap intervals changed and I slipped a few times and it is rather messy. Not accurate, BUT! At a quick glance it gives a good impression in my view. As well as weathering I dry brushed some silver paint to give it that 'shutter door look.' My description ability is priceless.
The control box also received silver paint, maybe it is OTT shiny but never mind. Three blobs of paint; green, redthen green represent up, stop and down.

We have some serious degradation here. Why didn't I model the doors and windows you may ask? Weeeeyyl, you know that wine bibber I mentioned earlier and those battle worn drunken cats I mentioned earlier? The cats are finished off in style in the form of short range Kamakazi Katz. Or I couldn't be bothered to make or buy some? Eeu, just a thought. Honestly, this building is pure experimentation, you aren't getting any serious efforts with this blog entry.

Overall impression. I'm quite pleased to be honest as it hasn't turned out too bad in my estimation. The glazing has a touch of blooming to it but again, this was really lots of projectile vomit from the booze brothers.

And the overall impression, taken with a flash to ensure completely misleading colour definition and hue. The overhang from the platform isn't an issue as I'll sort that out later.
It gives the look I was after, that in the past there were 3 tracks going thought the shed, then later they ripped up a track and replaced it with platform and buildings that extend inwards. All my excuse to try this effect out. I think it works ok, the difference in style and brick colour give it that more modern innovation look.

Tada! Cheers.

SCC Price list (7/4/22)

Knuckles

Postby Knuckles » Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:38 pm

I get the impression by the zero commentate that my integrated story of the last post put a few of you off wondering what I was smokin,' that or my half hearted attempt at the building as I'm not being serious with this layout, well, either way a bit more progress has been made.

As a first attempt making rocks I'm quite happy. Maybe just needs a lamp, some more grass and some rubbish slung from above to complete the scene.

Rock Tunnel.jpg

Rock Tunnel 2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

SCC Price list (7/4/22)

RobM

Postby RobM » Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:13 pm

Hi Gavin
Great colouring and textures, I'm assuming that the pathway will get built up a bit to disguise the join of the stone work.
Rob

Noel

Postby Noel » Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:37 pm

I agree, the scenery looks pretty good on the whole. I'm afraid I am rather baffled, though, about the rationale for driving a culvert (?) through solid rock? Railways didn't do expensive work like that without a very good reason...
Regards
Noel

Knuckles

Postby Knuckles » Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:18 pm

Aye the join will be masked off and filled with well, filler. Then add a couple stones and weeds or something.

Also you are right in that the subway makes bugger all sense, but as I hope you can glean from previous posts I'm just having a good ol' muck about with this one. I made the cutting mostly because I never have made one and wanted to try it out more than anything. This whole layout is a loose experiment.

You could easily imagine the subway already being there and the tracks installed after.

The premise for this layout is the grubby crappy end of a loco works, but moreso where wagons are broken down or repaired, the large building on the left is representing an entry point to a type of smelters or something. My thoughts are not fully complete as is evident but I envision graffiti, suspect drums, lots of scrap, laced syringes and chemically mutated frogs a bit larger than life. Think end of steam era plus zombies or something, should work.

Um, yep. Thanks for the bank appreciation. :)

SCC Price list (7/4/22)

Knuckles

Postby Knuckles » Sat May 20, 2017 11:54 am

Doubting this post will interest many for a variety of reasons but I feel it deserves to be explained fully.

A few days ago I ripped the layout up.

P4 too hard for me? Giving up? Nope, neither. All is explained below.

I originally designed the layout to utilise the P&C already built rather than build some new points. I built it as a typical P4 test plank as is traditional to get a feel for things, make mistakes on, experiment with new ideas, provide a photographic backdrop and provide some light hearted not too serious modelling. To that end it has served it's purpose beautifully.

So why did I finally get rid of it salvaging only the point motors, switches, electro magnets and the underpass?

For several reasons really. The main one being the fact that upon initial construction I had no flat surface to construct it on so the 6mm plywood construction (too thin IMO) was looking more like the running plate of a cauliflower, as a result in my enthusiasm I fixed up a levelling bodge using balsa wood and foam topping. This ironed out most of the faults yet as expected caused many running issues.

Most of the layout ran fine but there were a select few areas that caused constant issues much of the time. Fixes included partly rebuilding half a turnout, adding extra check rails, grinding the rails, bending the rails etc. Many of these took several attempts or only worked for a while until they needed looking at again or something else would play up.

I decided to to go to gown with it after experiencing some unexpected gauge narrowing. Upon discovering this I marked all problem areas with a black marker and opened the gauge. This was done either by slicing the chairs between the sleepers and re-gluing or in the single slip and a few areas where this wasn't possible a file and scalpel did the trick. The latter was more effective for getting the meat off.

Most of it was ironed out and things were running better than they had, except there was one area that was impossible to fix no matter how much retrofitting I tried, the baseboard and trackbed relationship (not to mention vertically bent rails) was just too bad to correct without relaying 50% of the track work.

It was at this point I decided to call it a day, so destruction started with a calm blank faced almost psychotic chewing up of the track with the pliers already in my hand. My don't plywood sleepers look realisticly bombed when raked through! The track plan was essentially two 'Inglenooks' end to end which was fine, I enjoyed shunting it but a run around was most desirable. Had the running been better I would have likely bared with it.

Now, the big questions are; is P4 for me, have I enjoyed the experiment, what did I learn and what is the future?

Having a crack at P4 is without doubt a choice I do not regret. I have now evaluated things enough to decide that another layout is pretty much in my mind a given. P4 has its disadvantages to that of other scales and standards but then they all do, I am one who has been suckered in mainly by the better looking track and wheels more than anything and still nothing in 4mm quite compares to it. I may be a bit odd but for reasons I can't explain seeing a load of beautifully constructed track work excites me and gives a type on mental pleasure nothing else does. Have several designs for future layouts.

To answer the second and third question, I have enjoyed the experience but I have also found it very frustrating. The learning curve from a crude 00 modeller aspiring towards finescale is asking a lot but then that is EXACTLY why I signed up. To learn new things and better myself. What I produced in my (and no doubt some of your minds) wasn't a finescale layout, but rather a crude, not too serious muck about layout that just happened to have P4 track and stock. As I say, the main attraction for me currently is the track and wheels, higher calibre modelling in other forms comes with time.

What did I learn so far in P4 venture?

Ooh just a few things, how to build track, greatest achievement so far being the hand build B7 LH turnout into a single slip, all crossings and blades hand built using no jigs other than graph paper and a 1 in 7' angle drew onto it and rail 'supported' by the old modellers faithful friend......Bluetack.

This was for me a massive win, especially as loco's and stock ran through it.....95% of the time. Hey, come on, first attempts and all that.

Support on the forums for my track building efforts (other threads) were well appreciated and I was even surprised to be honoured a place in Will L's column in the magazine linking to a Slink link.

I also learned how to convert and spring some wagons, different kits and RTR items need different methods and I found building a wagon kit straight into P4 was sometimes easier. A few loco's have been converted and built into P4. I learnt how to wire a layout at least one way, this literally was my first ever attempt to wire a layout up. Previous 00 layouts had 1 track feed and Mr Hand operated the plastic frogged points...eugh.

This time I tried Tortoises and I like them.

Learning to correct faults and try different fixes in situe was not the easiest or most satisfying activities but for possible future issues that may arise hopefully the experience gained will come in handy later.....hopefully not. To avoid gauge narrowing maybe utilising some track rivets every 4 or 5 sleepers and on key turnout areas will fix it. It could have been the oil drying up in the functional chairs or it could have been the rust issues. Either way I'm interested in giving DCC Concepts stainless steel rail a fair trial. Soldering it doesn't scare me.

Bodging in a working 009 crossover into P4 C&L flexible track (not the best option) with nothing but a photograph on my mates iPad was another big win for me. I even have a video on YT if you are interested.

Another thing learnt since launching SCC was how to design loco kits that account for different gauges. A YT video of my Furness J1 can be seen running on this layout as proof.

So, not much of a loss at all in my view. I have gained so much from having a crack. The biggest downfall was the most basic, and that is getting a flat baseboard too to begin with.

I'm looking forward to my next P4 layout. It likely won't be Knapford Junction just yet although as a future biggy that is a dream layout I'm now thinking might be better in a different house with more room. Rather than trying to cram everything in this loft thoughts are turning towards maybe getting a mortgage for more suitable layout space.

As I am interested in different scales for different purposes I'm currently building my first N gauge layout. I have not posted much on S4 as it doesn't belong, but other than SCC and working a 10 hour night shift that is what I have been up to on the modelling side of things.

Rather than cram up the loft with double decker roundy roundy's I'm thinking of staying with end to ends until I move out. This way I can breath and try new things easily.

I am unsure what my next move is though, after this N gauge first attempt it might be an 0 gauge one, or another P4 or 00-SF, I don't know.

The latter is interesting me as the track still looks pretty good but seems a good idea as a gap filler.

I have not had any proper layout to operate since 2011 and with so much 00 stock I don't intend converting it all.

If I was go build a 00-SF layout I could increase my track building progress and provide a platform to play with. In the mean time I could be building a P4 layout too and the 00 stock that I like the most in due time can be 'promoted' to P4 either as a conversion, or even better; a separate P4 chassis so it can run on both layouts.

By the time I have built one or 2 of these layouts I may be rich and experienced enough to go for the dream roundy roundy's in a new property.

So that is the story so far. P4 is staying, I just don't know what order to build things in as I refuse to stick to only one scale.

Variety is the spice of life as they say.

If you could be bothered to wade through all that drivel and if you got something from it, please say so.

It's took a long time typing it on my touch screen 'phone and if I had a C&L chair donated to me for every time I hit 'back' to correct a typo I'd have enough for a new layout. Please let me think it was worth the typing effort!

Knux out.

SCC Price list (7/4/22)

shipbadger

Postby shipbadger » Sat May 20, 2017 12:08 pm

Knuckles,

Congratultions, you are now a further step along the learning curve. We've all done it unless we had a fluke or knowledgable friends to assist. My first baseboards were topped with flooring grade chipboard as I reasoned it was less likely to warp. It didn't warp but I nearly killed myself when I stumbled carrying one down the stairs! Took three goes to get a loco chassis to work. There's a box full of wagons made from kits that need 'sorting out' one day, several coach bodies ....... and so it goes on.

My grandfather would have reminded me 'the man who never made a mistake never made anything'.

Chin up.

Tony Comber

Armchair Modeller

Postby Armchair Modeller » Sat May 20, 2017 2:21 pm

I learnt a lot through working on my first P4 layout. I do not regret abandoning it one bit, once I sussed out its shortcomings. I feel much happier with Mk2.

Keep up the good work!

Knuckles

Re: 1st P4 layout - Endex

Postby Knuckles » Fri May 26, 2017 5:49 am

Thanks guys, it's appreciated. :thumb

I'm wondering if a rewritten version of some of the above would make a good article for the Snooze? :idea:

SCC Price list (7/4/22)

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Fri May 26, 2017 6:40 am

Knuckles wrote:Thanks guys, it's appreciated. :thumb

I'm wondering if a rewritten version of some of the above would make a good article for the Snooze? :idea:

Pop a PM through to EditorTim and ask... He doesn't bite - well, only professionally.

Cheers
Flymo

PS - personal view - you have some great experiences to share, so a bit of fleshing out in some places and trimming in others would be interesting for me to read.
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Fri May 26, 2017 1:01 pm

Enough material there for two articles, if you want to?
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

Return to “Layouts and Operations”