1st P4 layout - Endex

Tell us about your layout, where you put it, how you built it, how you operate it.
David Knight

Re: 1st P4 layout

Postby David Knight » Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:21 am

Droppers should swing. If they don't the couplers won't work properly.

Loops at both ends will work but with less reliability. I've learned to live with hooks on the front end which, as you know, can be decorated with screw links or plain. I've also learned to live with the idea of not turning engines and have explained it by the steep grade (out of sight) that would expose the crown sheet if the engines ran the wrong way. I believe there is a prototype for this :thumb. Diesels don't care which way they face.

Cheers,

David

martin goodall

Postby martin goodall » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:03 am

I made some extensive experiments with magnetically operated auto-couplings, and came to the conclusion that a pivoted loop, which is raised under the influence of the magnet, is by far the most reliable form of coupling, working with a fixed hook on the opposing vehicle.

For a previous discussion of this topic, see:

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1418&p=10102

The assembly and fitting of my own design of auto-coupling (the “Burford” coupling) can be found as a .PDF file here:

download/file.php?id=2009

David Thorpe

Postby David Thorpe » Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:14 pm

davknigh wrote:BTW, Davey T was wondering about mixing Dinghams & corridors. I've tried it and TBH I only use them on the ends of rakes. They will work but close coupling is lost and they are much fussier to set up.

Thanks for that, David. I was beginning to think that that was the only workable solution.

DT

Knuckles

Postby Knuckles » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:28 am

Half a year a later I post a mini progress report. Progress is really slow, partly due to me making and converting wagons to P4 with Dingham couplings. So far I have four fitted with them plus the 57xx loco. Apart from the latches not always dropping I'm really happy with how the magnets and couplings work. Any advice on reliability?

I've installed 3 electro-magnets and 3 push to make switches and wired them up through a chock block. I only realised later I could daisy chain some of the wring, but then again I've struggled to get my head around the 'theology' of it all. I'm surprised this layout works, and when looking at all these wires I'm surprised my mind designed it, anyway...

Had to re-join these wires hence the shrink wrap stuff. Made them too short.

Should have daisy chained these.

Errr

Bottom 3 switches not even in line, but as excuse I didn't try to either. I just want to see if I can actually 'do' things.

And, Oh Dear. Cock up al a Balls Up. Clearly I didn't plan this very well, for 2 out of 3 electro magnets are in the way of the planned bridge. So err, I guess I'll have to put a bank there with a mini tunnel or something??

I need to tweak the track in a couple of places due to two intermittent mechanical running issues, and then I guess I can start on some scenery. Lights and maybe smoke will require more wiring but the essentials are done. I did want to wire the panel with plugs but currently I'm not clever enough because it seems you need to know exactly how many wires go where beforehand. As it happens, I've been learning this as I go on, but I wired them through chock blocks so if I do need to take the panel out I can at least number the wires and remove them temporarily.

Also I have fitted two crude 'panel locks' by getting those 'picture hangar loop eye things with screw bases', and bending them into a sort of 'angular question mark shape.'

My descriptive skills are second to none! :?
“He who dares not offend cannot be honest.” Thomas Paine

https://www.sparkshotcustomcreations.com/
Mostly 3D Printed Loco kits etc.

SCC Price list (7/4/22)
https://www.sparkshotcustomcreations.co ... e77d42.pdf

TEZBEDZ

Postby TEZBEDZ » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:01 pm

Good to see work goes on.

My layout and building has suffered a lot this year due to my wife being rather poorly. I have not touched the layout at all, but, have managed to 75% complete a High Level chassis for 5816.

I hope to be able to start again soon once we know the treatment has been successful
Regards

Terry

Knuckles

Postby Knuckles » Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:26 pm

I'm sorry to hear that, what's the ailment?> or if best not to say then that's understandable too. Real life has to take precedence over hobby type things :| I've recently had 3 days off work with Gout again, so it seems many of us are in a similar boat (or...wagon?)!

Baby update, well, not really an update as such. I've been 'playing' with the layout practicing shunting with the 4 wagons I've given Dingham couplings and that 57xx engine. So far I've found two areas of track needed tweaking, both gauge narrowed a little. Why? One needed the point blades teased out a tad - easily sorted. The other I found had a few missing chairs on the outside, so I popped the gauge in that sprang the rail outwards, glued some chair halves back and Bob's your Auntie. There is another little area of awkwardness but most of it is functioning fine thankfully.

I do have a wagon that decides it wants to change its own back to back settings and it falls off at a point blade, then when I run Exactoscale's B2B through it a few times it's fine again. I think I can hear the Loctite calling me. All part of the learning process, and great examples of why I decided on doing this baby layout to make all my balls ups on! Seriously, it's a good idea. I suppose you could call it an extended test plank. I've been learning about layout wiring and all sorts. It would have been a good idea if I bothered to make some more points in order to have a run around loop but at the time I wanted to just get on with it. So, before I built it I did come to several rough plans utilising the turnouts I had already built, and I think the plan is somewhere in a thread...maybe this one even, but I'm not at the stage where I think it's safe to start the fun bit...scenics.

I've got my plan again and wrote all the text on it. Please help if you can. I know better planning would negate the need but its too late for that now. :P

Any ideas?

Overall shot, poor quality sadly.

SCC Price list (7/4/22)

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:47 pm

Knuckles wrote:I've got my plan again and wrote all the text on it. Please help if you can. I know better planning would negate the need but its too late for that now. :P

Hi Knuckles,

Re: wagon works, yes your thoughts are on the right lines. I tried googling for "Ince Wagon Works" and "Central Wagon Works Wigan" for some illustrations, but they only showed pictures of locos being cut up. However the yards' original core business was as the name suggests, wagons.

I sometimes receive "Rail Express" magazine, and that often has news items showing a couple of yards doing exactly that sort of operation still. Someone that knows more about the contemporary scene will be able to confirm the details, I'm sure.

Cheers
Flymo
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

Armchair Modeller

Postby Armchair Modeller » Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:12 pm

Glad to hear you want to finish this off as an operating layout. It is always difficult for layout builders to take advice from others on what to do, as your visions and preferences are likely to be very different to theirs.

For example, I would make the entry/exit on the left, not the right as there are 3 roads that could lead onto a small sector plate. That would make it possible for a loco to run around trains and increase flexibility. The two parallel lines at the top left could be the end of a closed station, with the bottom line on the left leading to an imaginary private siding off-scene.

The top right line would be just a headshunt (possibly originally a through route that had been abandoned), with the 2 sidings at bottom right being suitable for a small goods yard, or a siding and a loco shed.

I suspect you would find that too small an operating challenge though!

Knuckles

Postby Knuckles » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:25 am

Thanks you two. The fact that my guessing on the wagon works isn't too far off gives me some confidance. I'll have to research wagon works in more detail.

I was thinking of having a small engine shed in the middle right siding actually. A baby one with a dedicated engine, but for such a small track plan I'm unsure if it would theoretically require a shed. If I do a shed though I'm thinking of cutting a small inspection pit (that'll test me) and for the shed itself I have designs on cobbeling up a little wooden shack. I saw in a recent model railway magazine a step by step process of how to build one and I think it'll suit the scummy look I envision.

A few people on RMweb have also kindly gave suggestions so I'm going to go there in a mo and answer them.

Decision making Isn't something I conclude easily, too many variables and factors need to be correctly pigeon holed in this smoke box of mine.

SCC Price list (7/4/22)

Ian Everett

Postby Ian Everett » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:43 am

Knuckles wrote: for such a small track plan I'm unsure if it would theoretically require a[n engine] shed.

Although most yards at passenger stations had neither dedicated locos nor engine sheds there were many goods and engineers' yards that did. Examples are the large goods yard in Salford, which had a fleet of L&Y Pugs, and Chalk Lane engineers' depot in Hull, which had a tiny diesel shunter.

You might think that Salford Goods depot is too big to model but if you take the Iain Rice approach of modelling "bitsa" stations or yards that is no longer a problem. Just choose an interesting corner of a larger yard and imagine the rest as being off-scene. Salford even has lots of large goods sheds which can act as view blockers where tracks disappear to the fiddle yards, and a retaining wall which supports the passenger station to act as a back-scene.

I look forward to seeing how you get on.

Ian

Knuckles

Postby Knuckles » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:06 am

Thanks, clecklewyke.

My rough back story to this mini layout in one incarnation fits what you just said quite well. If I go with the wagons works, or maybe a few other suggestions, then I currently see it as the far end corner of a locomotive works. A grubby, oily satanic dump full of ominously strange coloured liquid puddles and hordes of scrap...probably a couple of used syringes and discarded washing machines too!

If it is a rotting dilapidated corner of a locomotive works with most of the main facility off scene then I guess what you said for the engine and shed makes sense. Thanks for the justification. :thumb

I'm still mulling over themes.

SCC Price list (7/4/22)

John Donnelly
Web Team

Postby John Donnelly » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:26 pm

Knuckles wrote:If it is a rotting dilapidated corner of a locomotive works with most of the main facility off scene then I guess what you said for the engine and shed makes sense. Thanks for the justification. :thumb

That's the reasoning behind my first go as well, as a smaller corner of a much larger complex...

John

Knuckles

Postby Knuckles » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:47 pm

I gave my desk a mini clean yesterday. Took the old board off it and dumped it. Then I dusted the layout and painted it in a sort of cream coloured acrylic mix. Not the same as the desk but similar. Now my mind doesn't hurt when I look at the desk and it's more inviting, "Build something" it says to me.

So I went in the loft and dragged this shed out from a box. I like the shed as RTP buildings go, but I'm not sure it really fits the scene. Seems too grand a shed to me, as I'm thinking more a wooden bothy with corrugated roof or something. Plus the clearance on the adjacent rails is fag paper. I'll probably change it, what you think?

Something else I did was to hunt for the remains of my Vollmer Roundhouse shed. I knew it would come in handy. I'm thinking of using some of these panels to form the basis of the workshop / factory, or whatever building it will be. I think it looks suitable, within reason.

This is the general idea. The 2 tracks that go inside will have a lower roof. The wooden block further right represents the dock thing. It's actually my right angled wooden soldering aid for chassis construction.

What you think? I still haven't decided on the industry or theme but I know roughly how I want the buildings to look.

SCC Price list (7/4/22)

TEZBEDZ

Postby TEZBEDZ » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:34 pm

I'm concerned about your proximity to the moon...............

I like the idea of a rundown wooden shed, I am making one for Llanfyllin
Regards

Terry

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:28 am

Knuckles wrote:I gave my desk a mini clean yesterday. Took the old board off it and dumped it. Then I dusted the layout and painted it in a sort of cream coloured acrylic mix. Not the same as the desk but similar. Now my mind doesn't hurt when I look at the desk and it's more inviting, "Build something" it says to me.

I know exactly what you mean... Every few hours of modelling time, I have to clear *everything* from my workbench, put all the tools back in the boxes, and make a fresh start. It really does help!

Knuckles wrote:So I went in the loft and dragged this shed out from a box. I like the shed as RTP buildings go, but I'm not sure it really fits the scene. Seems too grand a shed to me, as I'm thinking more a wooden bothy with corrugated roof or something. Plus the clearance on the adjacent rails is fag paper. I'll probably change it, what you think?

You're doubting it already... Whilst the Great Eastern did some implausibly solid engine sheds in small locations, looking at the picture that does seem overdone. And as you say, the clearances are tight on either side.

Knuckles wrote:Something else I did was to hunt for the remains of my Vollmer Roundhouse shed. I knew it would come in handy. I'm thinking of using some of these panels to form the basis of the workshop / factory, or whatever building it will be. I think it looks suitable, within reason.

I like the mock-up. That does work visually for me. Your challenge is to understand how the construction would work. That all aids the credibility of the modelling if it is based on sound principles.

Knuckles wrote:What you think? I still haven't decided on the industry or theme but I know roughly how I want the buildings to look.

Your instincts seem pretty good to me. You already have the answers that you were looking to us to confirm ;-)

Oh, and nice restoration on the wagon, BTW. It only goes to show how your modelling skills and confidence have come on in the last 12 months. If I was to make one comment, it's that I'd use a burr in the drill to remove the floor ribs, rather than the wire brush. I'm sure that did the job, but a burr is much easier to control, and you'll have far less collateral damage.

Cheers
Flymo
www.5522models.co.uk

Knuckles

Postby Knuckles » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:15 pm

I'm concerned about your proximity to the moon...............

I like the idea of a rundown wooden shed, I am making one for Llanfyllin

It's ok, no need to worry. I have pink Klangers for company, and a bucket load of cheese to keep me happy.
"Waa-ho-ha-hoooooooooo"
"Whoo haa"
Seriously, took me a while to understand what you meant. The 'concrete' will be dirtied more I'm sure.
I saw an article in a fairly recient model railway mag on how to make a wooden engine shed, and think I might have a bash.

I know exactly what you mean... Every few hours of modelling time, I have to clear *everything* from my workbench, put all the tools back in the boxes, and make a fresh start. It really does help!

Yup. paint splodges, dust, bits of scrap material, tools everywhere, constantly loosing things. Ugh, my mind hurts and melts, I can't think, it destroys motivation, and I just look at the desk and again...my mind just goes into a daze and I can't think. By that time I can't be arsed either! Yet the hard things is, I ALWAYS end up making a mess of it again.

You're doubting it already... Whilst the Great Eastern did some implausibly solid engine sheds in small locations, looking at the picture that does seem overdone. And as you say, the clearances are tight on either side.

Yeah, glad I'm not the only one thinking that. It gives my view some reality. I like the idea of making a wooden shed as was shown in a recient model railway magazine. Plus I'm doing North Western rather than Eastern, but being fictional it doesn't matter that much.

I like the mock-up. That does work visually for me. Your challenge is to understand how the construction would work. That all aids the credibility of the modelling if it is based on sound principles.

Glad you like it. Technically the Vollmer shed is foreign, but still looks fairly british. In the past we had massive windows for light so it still gives the right look I think, plus would be a great way to put a rather expensive kit to use instead of the bin. Somewhere in my bonce I knew I should keep the scraps.
Your instincts seem pretty good to me. You already have the answers that you were looking to us to confirm

Do I!? I'm still undecided on the industry, I just have a rough idea of the basic look of things. That little 'flick back' part of the mock up I think will give the scene some mental closure and also give impression of a larger building wrapping its way off scene. Should also provide a nice corner to store a load of refuse. I think on the engine shed I was more clear - so happy you confirmed it looked a bit OTT. Collective opinions help sometimes.

Oh, and nice restoration on the wagon, BTW. It only goes to show how your modelling skills and confidence have come on in the last 12 months. If I was to make one comment, it's that I'd use a burr in the drill to remove the floor ribs, rather than the wire brush. I'm sure that did the job, but a burr is much easier to control, and you'll have far less collateral damage.

Thanks. :)

I forgot to mention in the write up that I drilled the buffer shanks and added steel buffers. Was probably obvious. I also forgot to mention that I'm really happy with the compromised result of one fixed axle and one sprung axle. This example works really well, almost as good as the fully sprung ones, and so, I guess you could call it luxury compensation! You also get 50% more wagons converted for your money.
The fact that the track work isn't perfect and has a couple of rough patches might actually be an advantage, for when I build things, if they are happy then they should be even happier on perfect track.

SCC Price list (7/4/22)

Noel

Postby Noel » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:23 am

I've only just seen the picture of your shed in situ, below, and would suggest that the clearance is not just tight, I think it's possibly negative. The minimum clearance to fixed structures is 7ft 8in from the centre of the adjacent track, according to the S4 Digest. Anything less and the structure will be inside the loading gauge and will be struck by passing trains. In addition, in areas where men could be working alongside the tracks, as in engine sheds, it was normal to provide additional clearance for safety reasons.

Noel
Regards
Noel

Knuckles

Postby Knuckles » Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:00 am

Thanks Noel, that seals the decision then. :)

There is a pic or two I forgot to post when I mentioned installing electro magnets above. So when I do get around to it, it will technically be old news.

EDIT: Here it is. I didn't fancy undoing it to clip the ends off so thought I'd do it in position. The method might be considered extreme or crude, but it worked fine and gave a nice smooth rounded finish once I finished carving. Was also a lot of fun! 8-)

SCC Price list (7/4/22)

Knuckles

Postby Knuckles » Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:12 pm

September the 1st eh? Well, here's some of what I've been up to on the layout. I haven't done much to it but enough for a post.

Warning, no ground breaking modelling here, just bodging.

If you remember above I nocked up an impression with my Vollmer Roundhouse pieces for the shed idea. Since then I've selected the best ones, cleaned them up, cut out small areas in the balsawood with plaster topping (concrete) to bed them in slightly and fixed them in place. I only chose to build it in situ because the board was a bit wonky in places and I thought it would be the best idea...err, well no actually. It was a rather moronic idea really, for the roof doesn't fit perfectly. It's just balancing on top for now until I get it fixed, anyway....

When at Warley I picked up a few bits and bobs and my eye was attracted to the Bachmann Scenecraft Loco Hoist. Being a completely fictional and loose layout, more of a glorified test track blah blah etcetera, I thought it'd look good with the concrete to lift engines and trucks and metal things and scrap and rust and dogs...well, not dogs but you know what I mean. I just like the look of it, never mind logic. As a result of it being an after thought I can only just fit it in position, and I mean only just. Hands up, it's prototypical nonsense, but I care not. Not for this layout anyway. For trains to pass it has to be pushed back as far as it will go.

So to fix it I decided the positions and drew around it.

Cut around it.

Bit of crow bar action, bendy file.

Had to cut more out than this for the bases to fit.

Thus. See how close it is to the rails? Ridiculous.

Plaster smoothy, no ice cream sadly. It had another application after this pic'.

And that was about it. Since then I painted it all and blended it in nicely, then decided I liked the darker look to the rail area and concluded that it probably would be more oily so I painted it so. With locomotive oil I oiled it as well. :shock: :? It makes the crane slide better and makes it look.....oily. I look forward to the day it accumulates dust, mites, spider feet, black mud and other monstrosities that like to gum loco mechanisms up, should be fun.

I moved on to the shed roof previously mentioned. Nothing clever about it, the word bodging comes to mind again. This is the first time I've tried scratch building a building, or at least part of it so I'm happy enough for now.

Today I spent over 2 hours doing something I've always wanted to. I've seen it in model railway magazines a few times and on Right Track 7 with Geoff Taylor and always liked the effect. You just get some 5mm graph paper, cut 1.5 squares in and repeat down the whole line, then cut the strip out and layer it upon another with a stagger. I found out a few layers in that ever two layers you need to clip the end off and transfer it to the other end due to the stagger - not sure if that makes sense.

I haven't finished painting the bricks yet but I find it satisfying and easy, at least this technique I've used a few times before. Paint the mortar, rub the paint off the bricks only, then dry brush the bricks.

Finished result of one side, I like the broken and slipped slates, but was careful to not over do it. Text in pic describes my best mistake. As a first attempt at this method I'm really happy with the result and looking forward to painting it once the other side is done. I'm unsure if I need roof vents and if so design so that's another consideration. I'll also be adding gable ends.

Overall impression. I forgot to add that I also fixed my old Hornby Skaledale platforms in place - absolutely horrid and lumpy like a Jelly Baby but now thankfully not wasted. The chimney is just plonked there for concept effect, also please note the Scenecraft factory on the platform won't be going there, it's just there for impression as I'll be building a loading dock there that goes into the shed along the platform. My idea is that the shed originally accepted 3 lines but the removed one and added a platform and building extension - all an excuse to try something out and create a certain effect and feel. As to how realistic the idea is I'm open, probably not knowing me.

Flash version, colours look different. I'm the current world record holder for worlds biggest guitar, 76.2 times bigger you know! :?

One more for luck.

Ok that's it. That's about all I've done modelling wise.
I piddled about with resin yesterday though and think I might piddle about more.

SCC Price list (7/4/22)

Tonycardall

Postby Tonycardall » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:26 am

Knuckles, no matter what I start researching I find myself getting distracted. I have just come back to modelling after a 20 year break and was thinking about AJ couplings, which led me to looking up Electro-magnets which, in turn brought me to this item. Then, I spotted the guitar in your pictures. No wonder I get nothing done. Two questions, where did you get your electro magnets or did you make them and, what is the guitar?
Tony

Knuckles

Postby Knuckles » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:16 pm

Hi Tony, I too get distracted a lot. I seem to switch gears, model loads then do bugger all.

The electro magnets are the ones I brought with the Dingham couplings. All from the official vendor.

The guitar is a copy of a Les Paul Black Beauty made by Epiphone. It was Advertised on most websites for £500 but After much searching I nabbed one for £220, really happy with it. :)

SCC Price list (7/4/22)

Tonycardall

Postby Tonycardall » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:03 pm

Yes, Epiphone make some great copies. Nice one. We'd better not start discussing guitars though as we will get ourselves censored. Thanks for the information about the Dingham electro-magnets. I think that I had better place an order.

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:50 pm

Tonycardall wrote:Yes, Epiphone make some great copies. Nice one. We'd better not start discussing guitars though as we will get ourselves censored. Thanks for the information about the Dingham electro-magnets. I think that I had better place an order.

From the Forum Index:

"Members' Lounge
The place for new member introductions, off topic discussions and general chat."

So start yourself a new thread in there if you want a natter about "slapping your axe" or whatever guitar-twiddlers do ;-)

The general rule of thumb on here is that we don't need to _do_ censorship, and that's thanks to all of the members that help keep this a relevant, helpful and decent place to be.

Cheers
Paul Willis
Deputy Chairman
www.5522models.co.uk

Knuckles

Postby Knuckles » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:26 pm

Well well, The last time I did any railway modelling was in the above post. That's bad right? :-\
I have been making some custom fridge magnets though and my whole desk is covered in Das Clay filings. Until these are squared away I doubt I'll be doing much still.
I really sometimes want balance in my life and persuits, but alas, it just isn't who I am. I tunnel vision and dedicate to areas for a time then the wheel turns to something else until it revolves back to the original. Are any of you like this or is it just me?? ?? I've always been like this, some may say obsessive yet I'd say more a case of prefering to concentrate on a few things at a time for a long time before moving.

A hearty hello to you all anyway! By now your probably used to me yo-yoing.

SCC Price list (7/4/22)

Knuckles

Postby Knuckles » Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:38 pm

Apart from the Fridge Magnets I mentioned, the only progress on my layout I have made is now in this post. I've been out of railway modelling mode for quite some times as is evident by my lack of posts. There are a hand full of reasons for this, some of which are mentioned in my video I uploaded in my thread.

Finally the roof is kind of finished. I say finished because I have not decided if it will have roof vents, and if so what design.
Secondly it needs drain pipes, down pipes etc to complete.

I'm really pleased with the outcome. I've always wanted to give this technique a go and to my eye apart from the unevenness in areas it looks a lot more convincing than your standard plastic or resin mouldings. It isn't even difficult to do, just time consuming as you make about 1/8th of an inch progress per layer. Painting was fairly easy comprising of a mix of blue and grey, followed by a couple of grey washes, followed by very dark dirt colours, and then highlighted with light grey that was almost white. I've tried to replicate green and white moss in areas with dry brushing and I'm generally happy with the result. Whether the moss would survive in the environment I'm modelling I'm unsure but I'm just experimenting so it matters not.

I brought a Skytrek factory panel. Unsure how you would describe it but 1 foot relief seems to fit. If you buy them painted you pay a whopping £40 or thereabouts. I got mine unpainted for £6, although some were £12 for a reason I cannot fathom. There wasn't a difference other than the roof facing the other way. Anyway, I've enjoyed painting it.

I perceive many of you who are into finescale for everything probably wouldn't use Skytrex (I may be wrong) and the windows definetly would be a No No for many considering they are 100% opaque but this is me we are talking about. I pick and choose what I go to town with, maybe you would nock them out and add etched frames and transparent sheets for a better result, the best result I'm sure.

I often see these type of windows painted almost black and it doesn't convince me at all, thus my experiment.

I painted them in a very dark grey to start with, almost black. Then I washed it with white, then I went over that with grey washes, then I scratched out some diagonal 'shine lines' similar to what you see in cartoons. The result? Ermm, well, it looks rather like your actually inside the building looking out the windows to a stormy sky with rain coming down.

So after Matt varnishing the whole thing I tried to pick out the windows in gloss. This burnt through for some reason so I resorted to satin instead. When the light reflects it is far more convincing of windows, the only problem is for a horrid reason I couldn't apply the varnish with my brush smoothly to save my life, I even tried thinning some of them but it didn't work. Oh well. 2 coats of satin and this is the result.

Again, on the whole I'm happy but the lumpiness is a giant boobie. It's been a good learning experience eitherway, good enough for my baby layout.

brickwork was a case of painting the mortar colour first, then picking everything out with dry brush and washes after. I always enjy painting brick work.

Not a lot of railway modelling in half a year, but still forward motion. Comments welcome whether good or bad. I know the 'tin foil' effect windows may attract some criticism and I expect it! :D

Masking everything but the windows and giving it a blast might be the way to go, then if you want pick out the frames in matt.

SCC Price list (7/4/22)

Return to “Layouts and Operations”