Making a start, my P4 plank...

Tell us about your layout, where you put it, how you built it, how you operate it.
John Donnelly
Web Team

Re: Making a start, my P4 plank...

Postby John Donnelly » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:44 pm

Driver training starts early...

She already knows how to enter the codes for the locos, get the sound and how to drive slowly.

John

John Donnelly
Web Team

Postby John Donnelly » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:05 pm

Work continues on the layout with current emphasis towards the rear. The rearmost track has finally be wired so the whole scenic section of the layout now has power although, without the fiddle yards, running is still a little restricted :) Ballasting has started using a lighter colour than the 'yard' albeit this will darken with some weathering.

I've also started on the shells of the building to go across the rear:

John

Serjt-Dave

Postby Serjt-Dave » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:59 am

Hi John, a fantastic effort with what you have done, a lot of railway in a small area. I've just started my test track {6' x 1'} which I want to use as a test bed to try and iron out all the main snags and teething problems before I start my layout proper. I can see my venture going the same as yours, starting off as one thing and ending up as something else. LOL. Just one question please? I noticed you laid your track directly onto the baseboard deck rather than using a underlay. what are your reasons please? when I used to do model railways years ago it was considered common practice to do so but I notice with several layouts I've seen lately that the track is laid straight on to the deck. Thanks

Dave

P.S. great to see the little lass enjoying your layout, my two girls just think I'm a weird old man who lives in our cellar but hey they thought that before I started playing with trains.

John Donnelly
Web Team

Postby John Donnelly » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:57 am

Thanks Dave.

There's no particular reason for laying the track directly on the base to be honest. I Haven't found noise to be a problem although I'll probably use cork on the next layout so I can get a shoulder for the ballast.

John

jasp

Postby jasp » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:17 am

Hi Johndon
For my guidance in allowing my Granddaughters access to my plank, how old is the wee girl (your daughter?)
Jim P

John Donnelly
Web Team

Postby John Donnelly » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:50 am

Granddaughter for me as well - she is 5 but started driving when she was 4.

As there is no fiddle yard as yet, I always hold my hand over the end of the board on the left hand side just in case but she's never hit it yet...

John

Jonathan Hughes

Postby Jonathan Hughes » Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:48 pm

That really is looking very nice John... you must be very pleased!
Jon

John Donnelly
Web Team

Postby John Donnelly » Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:15 pm

Cheers John.

Made some progress over the last couple of days - when the track was laid, I sprayed the rust on the rails and over the sleepers as well thinking it would be a simple job to scrape it back off. It turned in to the most mind numbing job ever (even more so than the ballasting) but I finally got it completed on New Years day.

I've started adding some more weeds and the next job is to weather the ballast.

A view that no one will ever get to see from the entrance to the left hand fiddle yard:

[url="http://s300.photobucket.com/user/johndon1968/media/P1030138_zps462ed43c.jpg.html"]Image[/url]

Overall view of the right hand end:

[url="http://s300.photobucket.com/user/johndon1968/media/P1030139_zps43f2acc1.jpg.html"]Image[/url]

And a video of my sound equipped Class 20:

http://youtu.be/o16DVIGbuus

John

John Donnelly
Web Team

Postby John Donnelly » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:47 pm

Conscious of the fact that I've not done a great deal since Will mentioned the layout in the last Snooze, I've made a start weathering the buildings that form the backscene:

I've also made a start on my first ever wagon kit :shock: It is, ultimately, meant for the South Pelaw Junction layout but here's a couple of progress pics. The supplied buffers are pretty awful so I've added a set of correct pattern white metal buffers from Lanarkshire Models. Gibson wheels have been fitted with no suspension or compensation but the wagon is quite happy being propelled through turnouts. Other than that, the kit is out of the box and whilst it could, undoubtedly be improved with some etched brass details, given the number of wagons I'll need for the new layout, I'm going to have to be pragmatic and accept that not everything I run is going to be able to be super detailed.

John

John Donnelly
Web Team

Postby John Donnelly » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:33 pm

More filth:

John

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:02 pm

John Donnelly wrote:More filth:

Absolutely love that door!

Flymo
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

Colin Parks

Postby Colin Parks » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:36 pm

Hi John,

I have just read through the whole topic. It is inspiring and enjoyable to see the genesis of this layout over the four pages' worth of pictures shown here. As one just embarking on my first attempt at a P4 layout, you have given me some faith in getting a project completed successfully.

It might be my imagination, but some shots of your layout on this forum differ to those on RMweb. The close-ups of your 08 seal the deal for me, as the loco has the 'look' of a real machine. I trust the conversion was not too difficult ? (a question from one who has a set of replacement Ultrascale wheels on order )It certainly has come out well.

All the best,

Colin

John Donnelly
Web Team

Postby John Donnelly » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:52 pm

Thanks for that Colin, much appreciated. If I'd not started this one, I'd probably not have got too far with P4, it proved, to me at least that I could do it and get things up and running fairly quickly.

The 08 conversion was fairly straightforward, the hardest part was getting the centre wheels out due to the design on the keeper plate and pickups but the whole job took around half an hour. What I am in the process of doing is fitting additional pickups to all wheels as, particularly on DCC, the loco, whilst it can go very slowly doesn't run particularly well and stalls far to often...

John

Colin Parks

Postby Colin Parks » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:24 pm

John Donnelly wrote:Thanks for that Colin, much appreciated. If I'd not started this one, I'd probably not have got too far with P4, it proved, to me at least that I could do it and get things up and running fairly quickly.

The 08 conversion was fairly straightforward, the hardest part was getting the centre wheels out due to the design on the keeper plate and pickups but the whole job took around half an hour. What I am in the process of doing is fitting additional pickups to all wheels as, particularly on DCC, the loco, whilst it can go very slowly doesn't run particularly well and stalls far to often...

John

Hi John,

Ah, Hornby pick-ups - don't get me started on them! I shall be taking a good look at why the 08 shunter that will be converted to P4 has not functioned properly with just its factory-fitted pick-ups. I fitted an extra set on the keeper plate just to get the reliable running on DCC with sound (see picture below). The sound became so annoying that the shunter was soon subject to a 'speakerectomy' anyway.

IMG_2594 (1024x653).jpg

All the best,

Colin

Edit: Forgot to congratulate you on the superb weathering on those sheds.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DougN

Postby DougN » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:39 am

Colin I hope that F1 was used for the "speakerectomy" ... best just to hit the button rather than remove totally. I agree however that sound is good in small doses... I have mine on for about 10minutes until it is back to quiet running! :D
Doug
Still not doing enough modelling

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:15 am

Colin Parks wrote:Ah, Hornby pick-ups - don't get me started on them!

I did a similar job to Colin abut 12 years ago on two Bachmann shunters and fitted extra pickups. They are made from 30 swg phosphor bronze wire from Eileen's Emporium soldered to copper clad strip glued to the keeper plate. I put pick ups on all wheels. No problems since with running.

Terry Bendall

Colin Parks

Postby Colin Parks » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:49 am

DougN wrote:Colin I hope that F1 was used for the "speakerectomy" ... best just to hit the button rather than remove totally. I agree however that sound is good in small doses... I have mine on for about 10minutes until it is back to quiet running! :D

Hi Doug,

To be more accurate although less colourful, the shunter had its speaker and sound chip removed, sold and replaced with a Lenz Silver (mute!) decoder by Pete Harvey. He did this while we were operating my 00 layout at Derby a couple of years ago. The decoder now fitted improved the slow running control no end, but the extra pick-ups were essential for consistent power collection. Once converted to P4. I shall tweak the Hornby pick-ups but keep all of the pick-ups just as an insurance policy. Mind you, with Ultrascale, we are talking six months before this can happen!

(Sorry to hijack the topic and for the gratuitous shot of some 00 wheels John!)

Colin
Last edited by Colin Parks on Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

Colin Parks

Postby Colin Parks » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:53 am

Terry Bendall wrote:
Colin Parks wrote:Ah, Hornby pick-ups - don't get me started on them!

I did a similar job to Colin abut 12 years ago on two Bachmann shunters and fitted extra pickups. They are made from 30 swg phosphor bronze wire from Eileen's Emporium soldered to copper clad strip glued to the keeper plate. I put pick ups on all wheels. No problems since with running.

Terry Bendall

Hi Terry,

I have also have six pickups, the middle two fold back on themselves. This is hard to make out in the photo. I am also hoping with the arrival of the new P4 wheels sets in the autumn that all the stupid gear squealing will stop. The squeal has been attributed by some to the Hornby plastic gear wheels.

All the best,

Colin

John Donnelly
Web Team

Postby John Donnelly » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:54 pm

Colin Parks wrote:
DougN wrote:but the extra pick-ups were essential for consistent power collection. Once converted to P4. I shall tweak the Hornby pick-ups but keep all of the pick-ups just as an insurance policy. Mind you, with Ultrascale, we are talking six months before this can happen!

(Sorry to hijack the topic and for the gratuitous shot of some 00 wheels John!)

I'm doing the same, keeping the originals but just adding additional ones to all 6 wheels. No problem with the hijack and thanks for the comments on the weathering.

Cheers

John

John Donnelly
Web Team

Postby John Donnelly » Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:06 am

After what seems like months, I've been working on the buildings on the layout again. First up though, a new loco has arrived, a Class 24 - eventually this will be used on the South Pelaw layout so needs converting and detailing but I bought it as it already had the Ultrascale wheels fitted which is a bit of a bonus as their waiting list is up to 6 months at the moment!!

Next up, the small shelter has been fitted permanently, I've added some rudimentary details to the walls as they are visible through the window when the light is right:

Finally, I've started the weathering and detailing of the centre building across the rear of the layout:

John

John Donnelly
Web Team

Postby John Donnelly » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:27 pm

Flipping the layout round for some maintenance has enabled me to get some shots from the other side for a change:

John

Colin Parks

Postby Colin Parks » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:46 pm

Hi John,

Excellent and inspiring photos once more. The reverse angle does make it look like a different layout!

I note your comment on the delivery times of Ultrascale wheels, which seems to have increased from four to six months. It does make P4 conversion a little more long-term. Is someone out there bulk-ordering to the detriment of the small-order customers perhaps?!

All the best,

Colin

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:05 am

Colin Parks wrote:I note your comment on the delivery times of Ultrascale wheels

Unfortunately this seems to be the way that Ultrascale work. You order what you want and when they get down the list to your items they get made. :( It is a two person operation and they do other things apart from making wheels.

If you need wheels for a steam outline models then unfortunately it is a case of waiting or use some from another source which usually removes the "drop in" facility. For most diesels, using the 14mm Black Beetle coach wheels is almost as quick, they are cheaper and more readily available.

Terry Bendall

Colin Parks

Postby Colin Parks » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:30 am

Terry Bendall wrote:
Colin Parks wrote:I note your comment on the delivery times of Ultrascale wheels

Unfortunately this seems to be the way that Ultrascale work. You order what you want and when they get down the list to your items they get made. :( It is a two person operation and they do other things apart from making wheels.

If you need wheels for a steam outline models then unfortunately it is a case of waiting or use some from another source which usually removes the "drop in" facility. For most diesels, using the 14mm Black Beetle coach wheels is almost as quick, they are cheaper and more readily available.

Terry Bendall

Hi Terry, (&John!).

I suppose it is better to know that Ultrascale intend to keep their standards up rather than increase volume. I actually thought that it was a one-man band and so the backlog in orders can only serve to underline the quality of what you get in the end. It does make planning a P4 layout rather back to front, (especially like john and myself who are just starting out and have no old P4 stock to fall back on) : the layout could be workable before the wheels arrive!

I am looking around at alternative wheel options for my own EMUs, It looks like Ultrascale for the motor bogies and Exactoscale for everything else, but I shall not discuss that here at length as this is John's thread.

All the best,

Colin

David B

Postby David B » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:37 am

I have just got a set of wheels from Ultrascale which took 7 months.

I can't see that this has anything at all to do with quality over volume. Such a long time to fulfil an order is inexcusable and bad business. Unless there is absolutely no alternative, I would never order from them again.

Return to “Layouts and Operations”