Making a start, my P4 plank...

Tell us about your layout, where you put it, how you built it, how you operate it.
John Donnelly
Web Team

Making a start, my P4 plank...

Postby John Donnelly » Wed May 16, 2012 6:21 pm

Before jumping headlong in to a larger P4 layout, I've decided to start with a 4' * 1' shunting plank which will be completely self contained. Track consists of a single B6 turnout from a C&L kit and C&L flexi track. Scenics will consist of a large factory building with low relief factory building along the back. Pics below show the basic layout:

The cardboard box represents what will be a factory building which will hide a traverser which will give the impression of there being more off stage as it will be possible for a train to enter the factory on one line and come back out on the other so there are possibilities for shunting puzzles. The gap in the backscene shows how long the traverser will be, I just need to make the cuts in the track. To keep things simple the turnout operation will be old fashioned wire in tube.

The Class 20 is the only P4 loco I have at the moment but for the most part, motive power will be Class 03 & 08.

I hope by starting off small, I can learn as I go and may actually finish it...

John

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Re: Making a start, my P4 plank...

Postby Terry Bendall » Thu May 17, 2012 6:29 am

johndon wrote:I hope by starting off small, I can learn as I go and may actually finish it...

Big oak trees grow from small acorns John. :) The best way to learn how to do model making it to actually make something.

More power to your elbow, and when it is finished, let me know. I know of a certain exhibition that will be pleased to show your work if you want to come.

Terry Bendall

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Thu May 17, 2012 8:54 am

johndon wrote:Before jumping headlong in to a larger P4 layout, I've decided to start with a 4' * 1' shunting plank which will be completely self contained. ... for the most part, motive power will be Class 03 & 08.

If you'd like to see an example of what a newcomer to P4 modelling can do with a really good quality kit, and a little bit of patience and guidance, have a look on here for what John McAleely with the High Level Kits chassis for the 03.

You'll find the full story to read at Forum Index » The trains themselves » Diesel and Electric Locomotives >> High Level chassis kit for Class 03/04

Enjoy reading it!

Flymo
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

DougN

Postby DougN » Thu May 17, 2012 10:12 am

John as ervery one else will say you have made it over the first hurdle! Looking nice I must say. Before I built my OO layout I made a little board to try out techniques like Ballasting, landscaping etc. I would say that you have started at the right point build something that can be quickly get something running and keeps your interest up. I will look forward to seeing how well it develops.
Doug
Still not doing enough modelling

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Fri May 18, 2012 3:07 pm

Flymo748 wrote:If you'd like to see an example of what a newcomer to P4 modelling can do with a really good quality kit, and a little bit of patience and guidance, have a look on here for what John McAleely with the High Level Kits chassis for the 03

And John will be doing the Getting Started in P4 demonstration at Scaleforum this year.

Terry Bendall

John Donnelly
Web Team

Postby John Donnelly » Mon May 21, 2012 5:02 pm

Flymo748 wrote:You'll find the full story to read at Forum Index » The trains themselves » Diesel and Electric Locomotives >> High Level chassis kit for Class 03/04

Thanks Flymo.

Progress continues first with the bridge at the left hand side:

I've added an additional track that will be accessible from the traverser so I can store a couple more wagons. Here's the track in place:

Which, once the building are complete, will not be visible from the viewing side:

Next job is the wiring which I'll be keeping nice and simple...

John

John Donnelly
Web Team

Postby John Donnelly » Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:51 pm

As I didn't make it to Scaleforum this year, I figured the least I could do was some modelling so I've been working on the plank as the following pics show:

First up the left hand end where the 'works' building will go showing the concreted area and the simple traverser:

Next up the centre of the board with the single turnout. Track is all ballasted and the ballast and sleepers have had an initial coat of sleeper grime. Building are just for show and will be replaced by larger, scratch built units.

And finally the scenic beak at the left hand end. The plank can be used as a standalone shunting layout but there will be a fiddle yard to the left:

John

Armchair Modeller

Postby Armchair Modeller » Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:12 pm

Looking good John - it must be really satisfying to see a layout coming so close to completion.

The "scenic beak" you mention in your last paragraph sounds intriguing - a new concept for P4, maybe? ;)

John Donnelly
Web Team

Postby John Donnelly » Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:14 pm

Armchair Modeller wrote:The "scenic beak" you mention in your last paragraph sounds intriguing - a new concept for P4, maybe? ;)

:P :P

At least it'll give me an excuse to run Mallard up the track... I'll get me coat... :D

John

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:07 pm

John,
For a first effort it looks very good, just a pointer for your next turnout build, maybe something missing from the C&L instructions, but your point blade tips should not be sitting in mid air as seen in http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn4/johndon1968/IMG_0903.jpg. The tips are always supported on the first slide chair.
Anyway, I look forward to seeing it develop.
Best regards
Keith
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

John Donnelly
Web Team

Postby John Donnelly » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:35 pm

Hi Keith,

Thanks for that the feedback is much appreciated, that's my fault to be honest, not the C&L instructions. When I was having the problems with the blades not sitting properly which you were good enough to assist with in another thread, I shortened the switch blades meaning they now sit where they do.

Still, that's what this plank is all about, getting any mistakes out of the way before I go large :D

John

John Donnelly
Web Team

Postby John Donnelly » Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:06 pm

Work continues at the left hand end on the bridge and it's surroundings:

and here's what will be the mainstay of the loco fleet, the Hornby 08 with Ultrascale wheel conversion, a few odd details scratchbuilt by me and a paint job (not finished yet) by Cav Millward the builder of Outon Road http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index. ... uton-road/ over on RMWeb.

John

John Fitton

Postby John Fitton » Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:46 pm

You have more scenery than me John! I have a few hundred feet of track and about 20 turnouts, but nary a tree to be seen!

John Fitton

Andy W

Postby Andy W » Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:55 pm

Trees are over-rated. Great big wooden things with green on them. ;)
Make Worcestershire great again.
Build a wall along the Herefordshire border and make them pay for it.

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:03 pm

Ealing wrote:Trees are over-rated. Great big wooden things with green on them. ;)

What? Card tables?

Flymo
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

John Donnelly
Web Team

Postby John Donnelly » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:05 pm

Made a start on the buildings that will form the backscene using Wills sheets.

John

John Donnelly
Web Team

Postby John Donnelly » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:20 pm

A little progress to report, I've started work on detailing the small 'office' building at the back. Brick is Wills sheets which have had a coat of Stone Grey for the mortar which was painted on then rubbed of with a finger and painting of the brick work has started. Roof tiles are from York Model Making (which are aligned incorrectly in the photo so that section of roof will be going to the rear of the building, window frame is Wills and the rest is various sizes of Evergreen strip. The building is loosely based on one of 3 that used to sit at the east end of Newcastle Central Station.

John

Armchair Modeller

Postby Armchair Modeller » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:42 pm

The effect you have achieved on the brickwork looks great :thumb

Mark Tatlow

Postby Mark Tatlow » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:17 pm

John,

I enjoy your postings of your little plank, you are making a grand job and the picture of the peak in particular had a real feel for it.

Can I make one suggestion regarding your small office? I don't think you would be able to get a pitched roof on something as small as this behind parapet gutters and it looks a tad strange to me as a result. Why not just give it a flat roof as a 1940/50s building like this (with the crittal windows) probably would have just had a felted or asphalted roof?

Just a suggestion!
Mark Tatlow

John Donnelly
Web Team

Postby John Donnelly » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:24 am

Thanks for the comments gents, much appreciated.

Mark, the prototype that the building is loosly based on does have a pitched roof as shown here:

The actual building I'm using as a basis is off the bottom right but has the same roof as the building visible bottom right albeit the pitch is probably slightly lower than on the model.

John

John Donnelly
Web Team

Postby John Donnelly » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:26 pm

I've decided to kill off the plank as, operationally, there were a number of problems mainly due to a lack of planning so I've started again with another that if 4' long but a bit wider this time that consists of what is, essentially, an inglenook track plan as shown below:

I'm yet to decide whether to make the track at the far left run the full length of the board so I can run 'through' trains behind the shunting in the yard. Scenic breaks will be sheds at either end.

John

Armchair Modeller

Postby Armchair Modeller » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:31 pm

Good luck with the new project - I feel sure the experience will be well worthwhile :thumb

Knuckles

Postby Knuckles » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:13 pm

You've made a small shunting test plank with which I found interesting, and now your about to start another. Authough I won't discourage would not a small mini layout be more fun? The one I'm making is only 6' x 1' and still is basically a P4 test plank of sorts. Loads aof mistakes and lessons have already come about.

I'll be watching with interest whatever happens though. Happy modelling. :-)
“He who dares not offend cannot be honest.” Thomas Paine

https://www.sparkshotcustomcreations.com/
Mostly 3D Printed Loco kits etc.

SCC Price list (7/4/22)
https://www.sparkshotcustomcreations.co ... e77d42.pdf

John Donnelly
Web Team

Postby John Donnelly » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:28 pm

Thanks gents,

Knuckles - as this will be 'the' layout for a while, it became clear that the original plan would not allow for much in the way of 'playing trains' hence the new layout which is still just 4 feet long so no longer but a little wider than the original.

John

John Donnelly
Web Team

Postby John Donnelly » Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:56 pm

Turnouts and connecting track have all be laid and wired this afternoon so I've been able to play trains :D .

Need to decide what sort of couplings I'll be using and whether to go for wire in tube or motors for the turnouts...

John

Return to “Layouts and Operations”