Making a start, my P4 plank...

Tell us about your layout, where you put it, how you built it, how you operate it.
Knuckles

Re: Making a start, my P4 plank...

Postby Knuckles » Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:04 pm

Cool. :)

My Dinghams arrived today so about to make a mini post about it. What is the building set up going to be? Looks a tweak similar to my idea of a building where a wagon goes in out of sight as part of back scene.
“He who dares not offend cannot be honest.” Thomas Paine

https://www.sparkshotcustomcreations.com/
Mostly 3D Printed Loco kits etc.

SCC Price list (7/4/22)
https://www.sparkshotcustomcreations.co ... e77d42.pdf

John Donnelly
Web Team

Postby John Donnelly » Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:14 pm

That's exactly what will happen - the building is meant to be a wagon repair shed to there will be a small fiddle yard at that end that will a wagon or two to be pushed in to the shed.

John

Knuckles

Postby Knuckles » Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:25 pm

I get ya. Sorry for leaving it so long to post. With mine I'm still undecided upon theme but a wagon works is somethjng I too was thinkinf of, or a scrap theme, or maybe a breakers yard. I think either option would give us both an excuse to model an interesting crane.

Are you decided upon couplings and have you decided upon the scenic setting and background? I'm interested as we are doing a similar thing. I'm new to P4 also and have found tge mini layout idea I embarked upon to be invaluble so I'm hoping you the same benefit.

SCC Price list (7/4/22)

John Donnelly
Web Team

Postby John Donnelly » Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:46 pm

Not decided on couplings. Been playing with 3 links but going to be a bit too fiddly. I think I'll probably go with the ones that Ian Rice used with wire hooks and bars.

Scenics not sure yet. I have thought of a single track on an embankment across the back though...
John

Knuckles

Postby Knuckles » Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:52 pm

Ok :)

I started with 3 links but trying Dingham's now. Mind you, you already know that. Any unposted progress reciently?

SCC Price list (7/4/22)

John Donnelly
Web Team

Postby John Donnelly » Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:58 pm

Wiring is complete and the turnouts are operating with rod linked to slide switches for polarity changes so it's now fully operational but, as all of that happens below the track bed there's nothing much to show :D

Next job is to ballast and weather the track.

John

John Donnelly
Web Team

Postby John Donnelly » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:24 pm

I wasn't happy with the original buildings that were going to stand at the right hand end as shown in the last pic so they've been scrapped and, I've started on a new one based on a building that currently stands at Forth Yard in Newcastle. Basic shell has been put together so far which still needs some tidying up:

John

Armchair Modeller

Postby Armchair Modeller » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:21 pm

That looks very neat. Glad to see you are making good progress. :thumb

I may have to learn by trial and error myself when I get to the buildings - I've never built one in 4mm scale before.

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:28 am

Armchair Modeller wrote:That looks very neat.

It does indeed.

Armchair Modeller wrote:I may have to learn by trial and error myself when I get to the buildings - I've never built one in 4mm scale before.

In the last few years I have tended to vary the techniques used depending on the size and type of building. On Ravenscroft Sidings (pictures in the Scalefour North retrospective for last year), all the buildings that form the backscene are mady by making a fairly substantial wooden shell and gluing on plastic sheet, either Slaters brick or Wills corrugated sheet using a thin layer of Evo-Stick impact adhesive. If too thick a layer of this type of adhesive is used it may melt through the plastic but so far there are no problems. The warhouse at the front was made using stryene with laminated walls to give the required thickness. This technique was used because the doors are open so the interior had to be modelled.

On another layout we used some of the Modern Structures kits to make up a modern loco shed, with the girder frame on the inside made using various Evergreen sections again because the door is open. Some of the buildings now being produced by Bachmann could be used and if they are modified could be made more personal to the layout. For small buildings I tend to use stryene sheet for everything.

As with everything else, start with something small, look to see what has been written about building construction and try things out.

And for anyone who may be interested, Ravenscroft Sidings will be at the Stafford show this coming weekend.

Terry Bendall

John Donnelly
Web Team

Postby John Donnelly » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:05 am

Terry Bendall wrote:
Armchair Modeller wrote:That looks very neat.

It does indeed.

Thanks gents.

Terry Bendall wrote:making a fairly substantial wooden shell and gluing on plastic sheet, either Slaters brick or Wills corrugated sheet using a thin layer of Evo-Stick impact adhesive. The warhouse at the front was made using stryene with laminated walls to give the required thickness. This technique was used because the doors are open so the interior had to be modelled.

Exactly how I've done this one - as they will never be seen, the front and right hand walls have a wooden frame attached to the back of the styrene sheet facade. For the back and left hand wall which can be seen through the open door, I've used the brick styrene sheets with a framework of styrene strip between the two sheets.

John

John Donnelly
Web Team

Postby John Donnelly » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:43 am

On a bit of a roll at the minute, the building end that sits to the right of the previous building is now well under way...

John

John Donnelly
Web Team

Postby John Donnelly » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:10 pm

The concrete pad for the sheds to sit on has gone down and ballasting has begun so I thought I'd try a low angle shot of the 08 outside the shed (which, clearly, still needs painting and weathering):

John

John Fitton

Postby John Fitton » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:49 pm

johndon wrote:I wasn't happy with the original buildings that were going to stand at the right hand end as shown in the last pic so they've been scrapped and, I've started on a new one based on a building that currently stands at Forth Yard in Newcastle. Basic shell has been put together so far which still needs some tidying up:

John

John,

It looks like you removed the brake gear off your class 20......

John F

John Donnelly
Web Team

Postby John Donnelly » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:52 pm

Good spot - it was fouling the wheels so will be thinned down and replaced in due course...

John

John Fitton

Postby John Fitton » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:41 pm

johndon wrote:Good spot - it was fouling the wheels so will be thinned down and replaced in due course...

John

John,

I have converted my 20 128 with Ultrascale wheels and unfortunately the mechanism is not particularly good as a drop-in candidate for conversion to P4. i thinned down the brake gear, but it still derails regularly. I think the bogies foul the body in several places. Oh well.

John F.

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:08 pm

If its a Bachmann, I have not had any problems with mine which had Branchlines wheels dropped in.
http://www.norgrove.me.uk/class20.html, and

Or have Bachmann changed the design?
Keith
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

John McAleely
Web Team

Postby John McAleely » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:39 pm

grovenor-2685 wrote:Or have Bachmann changed the design?

Looking closely at your video, I think they've added some more brake rodding detail. I certainly found it fouled the P4 wheelset I installed on mine when I rewheeled it recently.

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:35 am

grovenor-2685 wrote:I have not had any problems with mine which had Branchlines wheels dropped in.

Nor me, and we have 6 converted so far. They are however older models that have been in stock for a couple of years.

[quote="jf2682"]I think the bogies foul the body in several places. Oh well.

Not sure how changes to the brake gear would cause the bogie to foul the body but then it is not my model. If you can do it without damaging the relevant items, how about removing the brake gear and checking again?

Terry Bendall

John Donnelly
Web Team

Postby John Donnelly » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:17 am

Mine actually runs very well without the brake gear, just need to thin down the connecting rods as they foul the wheels.

John

John Fitton

Postby John Fitton » Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:11 pm

Terry Bendall wrote:
grovenor-2685 wrote:I have not had any problems with mine which had Branchlines wheels dropped in.

Nor me, and we have 6 converted so far. They are however older models that have been in stock for a couple of years.

jf2682 wrote:I think the bogies foul the body in several places. Oh well.

Not sure how changes to the brake gear would cause the bogie to foul the body but then it is not my model. If you can do it without damaging the relevant items, how about removing the brake gear and checking again?

Terry Bendall

Well mine is a newer model, and I have not spent any time trying to determine exactly where the fault lies. However, there is precious little clearance between the sandboxes and the buffer beam valances, and the bogies have a couple of mm movement under load, so to start with I will have to test without the body and sideframes. On my list of things to do!

John

John Donnelly
Web Team

Postby John Donnelly » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:36 am

Main shed at the right hand end has been scrapped as it warped badly anywhere where the plastic sheet wasn't braced. It's replacement and the low relief building alongside have had their base coats on both the sheeting and the brickwork as well as some signs added prior to weathering. I've also made a start on the roof of the main shed albeit I'm not to happy with it at the moment.

And a low level shot with the '80s' effect applied:

John

John Donnelly
Web Team

Postby John Donnelly » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:23 pm

The works has has gained a new reception/departure line which has just been ballasted so requires some tidying up. It is not connected to the other tracks, the 'connection' will be in the fiddle yard so trains will appear on this line then the shunters will split the train up and then trains will be built up on the same line for later departure.

There will be another 'through' line to the left of the new line with a fence separating it from the yard - the only thing I haven't decided yet is what will then sit alongside the through line, I'm undecided between an embankment topped with a wall or a large building that will run the full length of the layout...

John

John Donnelly
Web Team

Postby John Donnelly » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:26 am

On a bit of a roll tonight and I've finished adding the hanging basket liner to the grassed area at the front. Still needs a haircut and other foliage adding but it's one less piece of bare baseboard to be seen.

On a hugely surprising note, the layout has just been invited to it's first exhibition albeit it's not until April 2014 so I'm in with half a chance of getting it finished :lol:

John

DougN

Postby DougN » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:02 am

Must be happy with that John, You now have a target and a bit of a push to move things forward. I for one will be interested to how you go and how you find the whole exhibition process. I have never exhibited a layout but I have done a large number of demonstrations here in Melbourne. Each time I change what I am doing in line with what I find interesting. At times it has been Loco constrution, etched brass wagons, signals, buildings or what ever is on the work bench.

all the best, Doug
Doug
Still not doing enough modelling

John Donnelly
Web Team

Postby John Donnelly » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:38 am

Cheers Doug,

It'll be a new experience that's for sure, lets just hope my modelling standards are up to it :D

I've had an offer to have a go at operating Mostyn at the Newcastle show later this year so I'll be able to get some idea of what happens 'behind the scenes' albeit on a much larger scale...

John

Return to “Layouts and Operations”