Making a start, my P4 plank...

Tell us about your layout, where you put it, how you built it, how you operate it.
John Donnelly
Web Team

Re: Making a start, my P4 plank...

Postby John Donnelly » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:52 am

I tend to order in batches so my current order (placed at the beginning of October and which is now, I believe, in progress) is for 5 sets of wheels. I don't mind the wait as such but I do wish they'd update their website which says that orders are currently taking between 4 and 5 weeks...

John

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:49 am

Many custom builders have waiting lists in excess of two years or more. If you are a one man band (in this case it is David Rogers and his father, Brian, who is probably partly retired at least by now) there is only so much you can do. And if your products are hand made, amongst the best and popular, therein lies an almost insoluble problem.

Philip

John Donnelly
Web Team

Postby John Donnelly » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:21 pm

Colin Parks wrote:Hi John,

Excellent and inspiring photos once more. The reverse angle does make it look like a different layout!

Cheers Colin, it certainly looks a lot more 'open' from the other side. I'll have to get some more pics before the backscene is permanently attached...

John

Colin Parks

Postby Colin Parks » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:15 pm

John Donnelly wrote:
Colin Parks wrote:Hi John,

Excellent and inspiring photos once more. The reverse angle does make it look like a different layout!

Cheers Colin, it certainly looks a lot more 'open' from the other side. I'll have to get some more pics before the backscene is permanently attached...

John

Looking forward to seeing more pics. the John!

I must say your South Pelaw plan looks very exciting and ambitious. Perhaps that is where all the Ultrascale wheels are going!

All the best,

Colin

John Donnelly
Web Team

Postby John Donnelly » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:47 pm

Colin Parks wrote:I must say your South Pelaw plan looks very exciting and ambitious. Perhaps that is where all the Ultrascale wheels are going!

Lets hope it doesn't prove to be too ambitious :?

As for the Ultrascale wheels I've been fortunate to pick up 2 class 24s with Ultrascale wheels already fitted along with another 2 sets of wheels so I've already got 4 class 24s ready to go with no long wait although an order for wheels places today will arrive long before the new layout is ready to have anything running on it...

John

John Donnelly
Web Team

Postby John Donnelly » Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:29 pm

I've had the layout turned round today to fix a niggling problem with a rail joint so got some photos from the other side looking towards the viewing side:

John

Colin Parks

Postby Colin Parks » Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:16 am

Looking good John.

It is always interesting to see a layout from the reverse-angle.

All the best,

Colin

John Donnelly
Web Team

Postby John Donnelly » Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:53 pm

The layout has now gained it's own lighting rig, a set of white strip LEDs from Maplins. The only light in the photo below is from the layout lights:

John

DougN

Postby DougN » Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:55 pm

John that is spot on, nice even light no wrong shadows no overly blue tint from Fluro lights. Which colour LED did you use?

My experience with lighting and the on going development and reduction in cost for LED lights for Layouts will be come the norm I believe. There are so many options warm white/ cool white/ day light/ tricolour... etc. I am expecting one day to see the tri colour yellow /green/red used in the same way that theatres use the colour films to produce and vary the light intensity and colour. The other nice thing is as it is a 12Volt supply there is a reduced danger of 240 volt being loose in a layout and all the mains can effectively be kept to one large ventilated box.
Doug
Still not doing enough modelling

John Donnelly
Web Team

Postby John Donnelly » Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:40 am

Thanks Doug. I've used Maplins Warm White LEDs: http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/flexible-warm ... -kit-a42la

John

Colin Parks

Postby Colin Parks » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:04 am

Hi John,

Great picture of your layout!

The LED lighting looks very effective and running layout lights on a 12v system certainly keeps the mains wiring to a minimum. How many watts does the lighting produce (if that is the right word)?

All the best,

Colin

John Donnelly
Web Team

Postby John Donnelly » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:55 am

Cheers Colin, there's no wattage figure quoted but the light is plenty powerful enough to light the entire layout which is 20" deep - length of course is irrelevant as you can string as many of these strips along the front as you want...

John

DougN

Postby DougN » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:58 am

Colin it is actually Lumens but few understand what they are! I was looking at the Maplins equivalent here in Australia (jaycar) doesn't give much information but my guess is that the generally 600mm distance from light source to layout level (or read the kitchen work top!) seems to be about right when I was trawling around the 'net looking there is a couple of different intensity "strips" I can't remember the codes between overly bright vs less! The mid range seemed to be a bout right. I think that as modellers where we have a few good ideas ther may be a way to "dim" the strips.

I have yet to get anywhere with my projects to have time to experiment with some of these things... No doubt others will have the knowledge to do this!
Doug
Still not doing enough modelling

John Donnelly
Web Team

Postby John Donnelly » Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:07 pm

Yesterday should have been quite a step forward for the layout as I got round to fitting the backscene...

However, as you can see, I made the somewhat critical error of putting it on upside down :cry: In my defence, I did have the layout lying on it's 'back' and, effectively, upside down when I was fitting it...

John

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:29 pm

John Donnelly wrote:However, as you can see, I made the somewhat critical error of putting it on upside down :cry: In my defence, I did have the layout lying on it's 'back' and, effectively, upside down when I was fitting it...

John

To me, it merely looks like one of those broodingly ominous late summer thunderstorms building...

HTH
Flymo
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

John Donnelly
Web Team

Postby John Donnelly » Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:11 pm

Suitably enthused by my trip to S4N yesterday, the backscene has been fitted (the right way up this time) and I've taken care to curve it at the corners so no straight edges in the sky:

John

John Donnelly
Web Team

Postby John Donnelly » Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:45 pm

As one or two of you already know, I lost my wife the week after Scalefour North (she was diagnosed with a terminal brain tumour in December and given 1-2 years to live but, despite treatment and Wendy putting up the bravest of fights, the tumour turned out to be far more aggressive that anyone thought and she died on 24th April).

As a result, modelling has been the last thing on my mind for some time now but, a first public appearance for the layout this Sunday has prompted a partial return of the modelling mojo so I've been working on the rear of the layout - all the buildings apart from the unfinished blue one on the left have been glued down as have the walls allowing for some foliage to be added and a fence is in the process of being added in front of the building in the centre:

John

hughesp87

Postby hughesp87 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:54 pm

John,

Sincere condolences from us all, I'm sure. Good to see that the mojo is returning.

On the basis of the photos, this 'plank' is a real credit to you. Best wishes for your public appearance - where is it by the way? Any other appearances in the pipeline?

Regards,

Geraint Hughes
Geraint Hughes
Cromford & High Peak in P4
Danish Railways in P87

Lord Colnago

Postby Lord Colnago » Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:17 pm

Hi John,

That's very sad news indeed and I'd like to offer both my own condolences and those of the rest of the Committee. As Geraint says, keep up the good work and I look forward to seeing "the plank", somewhere, some time soon.

All the best,

John.
The second best priest

John Donnelly
Web Team

Postby John Donnelly » Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:56 pm

Thank you both.

Geraint, it is appearing at a local model shop where a number of modellers (none of whom model in P4) of the BR Blue era are meeting for the day, it will be the first time that anyone outside my house will have seen the layout in the flesh so it will interesting to see what sort of feedback I get...

I'm not sure it will be making any exhibition appearances as I've pretty much decided that it will become a photographic diorama and I'll concentrate on getting my SGW entry, Pelton Level up and running.

John

Jonathan Hughes

Postby Jonathan Hughes » Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:55 pm

My sincerest condolences too Jon. So sorry. I hope that the modelling is something that brings you some enjoyment, it's results are certainly an enjoyment to see on here and I look forward to you continue sharing your work here.
All my wishes
Jonathan.

John Donnelly
Web Team

Postby John Donnelly » Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:54 pm

Thanks Jonathan.

Building has been weathered, fixed and bedded in:

As I mentioned, the layout had it's first public outing today with lots of positive feedback which was good to hear.

John

CDGFife

Postby CDGFife » Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:44 pm

John - condolences also from me.

The layout fully deserves the good feedback - it's looking really good. Just the right amount of grime for me!!

Cheers

Chris

John Donnelly
Web Team

Postby John Donnelly » Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:08 pm

It's been a while since I've taken any photos so here are a few which show that the grass definitely needs cutting in a few places :lol: The layout is all but finished now with no more than a few hours work to get it finally done.

John

Armchair Modeller

Postby Armchair Modeller » Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:24 pm

Looks superb, John. I especially like the fantastic weathering/rusting of the wagons.

Will it be on display at any exhibitions?

Return to “Layouts and Operations”